PDA

View Full Version : Fuel canister and Amtrak

Littlest Hobo
08-09-2007, 11:22
I’ll be taking the train from Montreal to Albany next week on my way to the Long Trail. When I purchased my ticket, I thought I’d play it safe and check out their baggage policy to make sure that my pack would qualify as a carry-on. When I did, I noticed this was listed as a prohibited item:

“Incendiaries, including flammable gases, liquids and fuels.”

My question: has anybody had any issues carrying a fuel canister aboard a train? I suppose I could just play it safe by leaving it at home and picking one up in Williamsburg – I assume the Mountain Goat in town carries canisters for a pocket rocket.

Tabasco
08-09-2007, 11:26
Our Scout Troop just took the AmTrak to Philmont from here in KY. No one EVER asked them what they had and all 12 had full sized backpacks, stuffed full. Bu tthey did not have cannisters, but were never asked about them either.

Outlaw
08-10-2007, 09:01
“Incendiaries, including flammable gases, liquids and fuels.”

My question: has anybody had any issues carrying a fuel canister aboard a train? I suppose I could just play it safe by leaving it at home and picking one up in Williamsburg – I assume the Mountain Goat in town carries canisters for a pocket rocket.

So, by definition does this mean you cannot carry a butane-filled cigarette lighter? I've never carried a fuel canister onboard a train, so I can't answer your question.

However, the Mountain Goat is located on Main Street in Manchester Center, VT. If they're out of fuel canisters, there is an EMS a couple of blocks away that stocks them.

Have a great hike!

NICKTHEGREEK
08-10-2007, 09:10
Does the train stop for customs between Montreal and Albany? Inspections may be in place since it is an international trip. We have to start thinking about borders in this new reality.

mrc237
08-10-2007, 09:44
Usually not a problem to carry fuel on Amtrak worse case is they confiscate it so its probably worth the risk. If your taking the bus from Albany it stops in Williamsburg anyway its a nice town to stroll around in I'd get my fuel there. Good Luck on your hike the LT is an awesome trail!!

Skyline
08-10-2007, 10:21
Amtrak would confiscate combustible fuels if they became aware. But the likelihood of becoming aware is remote.

There isn't as much scrutiny of rail passengers as there are air passengers, period.

Grumpy Ol' Pops
08-10-2007, 11:41
I recently rode MetroNorth from the AT stop in Pawling, NY to Grand Central Terminal in New York City and then New York's MTA subway system to Penn Station, followed by a final trip from New York's Penn Station to my home in New Jersey. I had a fully loaded backpack, hiking poles, and other gear and I looked a bit grubby during all of this.
With all the major to-do lately about security, I didn't feel too secure just passing from one place to another like that. Living in the shadow of, and having seen the Twin Towers fall, was bad enough. And we hear and read news stories about increased security searches on public transportation all the time around this area.
I even asked several NYC police officers and uniformed National Guard members for directions during this time and not a word was said or even a second look given.
I carried a fully loaded MSR 22 oz. bottle of fuel for my stove, matches, candles, knives, multi-tool, tent stakes, and other items in my pack.

I also use Amtrak frequently for other out-of-state trips and I've never had any problems -- not even a request for an ID.

Obsidian
08-10-2007, 23:27
while on a fuel stop on amtrak I've seen people get out their stoves and cook and no one working on Amtrak seemed to care (that was on the Southwest Cheif from LA to Chicago)

Peaks
08-11-2007, 17:30
Willamsburg or Williamstown? Massachusetts has both. But, I suspect that you will be going to Williamstown where there is also a Mountain Goat store the last time I was there.