PDA

View Full Version : best section in MA or CT- any recommendations?

skinny minnie
08-09-2007, 11:28
I'm fairly new to this forum, so hello everyone! I'm sure I'll get to gradually introduce myself as time goes on.

I was wondering if anyone had any sections in CT or MA they were particularly partial to - challenging hiking, great scenery, etc.

I just did the Bear Mt. section this past weekend - tons of blueberries, it was great! Am looking to plan for this weekend now, and would love to hit up a new area or out of the way place on the trail. We were planning on doing Bear Mt again and pushing a little further, but I'd really appreciate any suggestions, and would like to try something new.

7Sisters
08-09-2007, 11:34
I'm fairly new to this forum, so hello everyone! I'm sure I'll get to gradually introduce myself as time goes on.

I was wondering if anyone had any sections in CT or MA they were particularly partial to - challenging hiking, great scenery, etc.

I just did the Bear Mt. section this past weekend - tons of blueberries, it was great! Am looking to plan for this weekend now, and would love to hit up a new area or out of the way place on the trail. We were planning on doing Bear Mt again and pushing a little further, but I'd really appreciate any suggestions, and would like to try something new.

This is absolutely not challenging, but very pretty. The section of CT along the Housatonic (SP) river is really pretty - realize it's completely flat and you don't want to swim or drink the water as it's heavily polluted. However it's pretty.

Another option is to start at North Adams and head south. There will be some real nice views and some good climbs (nothing too taxing). This is more traditional AT.

You'll find CT very flat and non traditional AT hiking as there are no real climbs and very few rocks. It will be what you're looking for.

RiverWarriorPJ
08-09-2007, 11:44
I like the Tully mtn trail which hooks up w/ the MM (name?) trail. All located in &/or around Athol/Orange, Mt Grace area (Warwick)..
Tully~~> http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15340&catid=member&imageuser=11117

RiverWarriorPJ
08-09-2007, 16:24
..The MnM..
http://www.amcberkshire.org/mm-trail

Ender
08-09-2007, 16:39
You'll find CT very flat and non traditional AT hiking as there are no real climbs and very few rocks. It will be what you're looking for.

I (nicely!) disagree... except for the Housatonic River walk, I find hiking in CT to be like walking on a zipper... nothing big in elevation, but constant ups and downs. You're right about the river walk being very pretty and enjoyable. I also like St. John's Ledges, though they aren't as steep as they used to be after a trail re-route a few years ago. And a section call Riga ridge (at least that's what I remember it as... it could actually be something else)... it's this pretty section up on an open ridge that looks out over CT and RI.

In MA, the section from just south of Greylock heading north to VT is great. And there's a pond somewhere in the middle of the state that used to have a cabin that let hikers stay there... I dunno if it's still there, but if it is it's a great place to stay. When I stayed there they had canoes you could borrow.

refreeman
08-09-2007, 18:11
My favorite CT-MA hike is from the parking lot on US41 in Salisbury Connecticut, where the AT crosses 41, to Jugg End Road in Massachusetts. The AT goes up Lion's Head, then over Bear Mountain, along Sages Ravine, then up and over Mount Race, over Mount Everett and then stays along the ridge line all the way to the bald at Jugg End. Descending Jugg End concludes at the dirt road appropriately named Jugg End Road. This section is 1-3 day hike. It’s about 17-18 miles long.

This section is definitely challenging, has excellent views and a great variety of terrain. Of course the challenge can be adjusted by how far you want to travel in a day. There are plenty of campgrounds and shelters, and some great water sources. But hay, Shhhhhh don't blab about the bleu berries, or I'll have nothing to eat and have to pack food too. ;)

Notes of caution:
1) One bear in the area has been reported to follow/stalk hikers.
2) Bring a headlamp, you will need it.

Yahtzee
08-09-2007, 19:08
I agree 100% with Refreeman. The early part of MA is fantastic hiking. The best since VA. The view along Race Mt. beats any part of Greylock, IMO.

7Sisters
08-10-2007, 06:27
And there's a pond somewhere in the middle of the state that used to have a cabin that let hikers stay there... I dunno if it's still there, but if it is it's a great place to stay. When I stayed there they had canoes you could borrow.

The pond you're referring to is Upper Goose Pond.

Outside of the Housatonic, I really don't have good memories of CT on the AT. Reading my journal, I am reminded of a lot of the trail being very close to neighborhoods, and seeing houses often. With the state only being around 50 miles, I didn't leave it with a great impression. However, a day on the AT in CT is better than a day in the office - for sure.

I could see why Ender respectfully dissagreed - In my mind, I tend to flatten out rolling sections of the trail. The entire CT is not like the flat section along the Housatonic that's for sure.

Thanks for keeping me honest Ender :)

gsingjane
08-10-2007, 08:31
Hi, for my money, either the southern or northern sections of CT are more fun than the middle section. Kind of a cool hike that you can do would involve starting out at the southernmost end (where the AT crosses into NY) and hiking north. You will hike up 10 Mile Hill, past that shelter, then up Schagticoke Mtn. and to Mt. Algo. Mt. Algo is a beautiful shelter next to a lovely stream, and tends to be a bit quieter, because many people bypass it on their way into Kent. Then the next day you can hike down Mt. Algo, past Macedonia Brook and the cows, up Glacier Rock and over that mountain just past it (can't recall the name right now), down the Ledges, and along the Housatonic. If you want you can stay at the shelter at Stewart Hollow, or go up the hill and stay at the Silver Hill campground (with the swing). Then you can keep going northbound, and either stay at Pine Swamp or continue on to the Sharon Mtn. campsite, but you could also descend from Silver Hill and pick up a car parked at Cornwall Bridge (this is if you are taking a weekend hike).

As others have suggested, something else fun to do is to start out around Salisbury in CT and hike northbound, crossing over Bear Mtn. and then descending through Sages Ravine into MA. You could stay at the new Laurel Ridge campsite the first night. Then you could continue north, to Race Mtn. (with the incredible view and overlook) and Mt. Everett (very difficult IMO). The Hemlocks shelter would be a logical place to stay, although that can be crowded as it is accessible by car. You could finish that weekend's hike by descending Jug End to a car parked at the bottom. Since this is in the Berkshires, you will find this hiking a bit harder than CT, although I also do not think that either of these states can fairly be described as "flat"!

Have fun!

Jane in CT

Stump46
08-10-2007, 15:16
All this sounds good to me! I'll be hiking from Salisbury NOBO to Williamstown in early Sep. Anybody want to join me?
Bill Armstrong
Jacksonville, FL

superman
08-10-2007, 16:37
It's all good :welcome

Blue Jay
08-10-2007, 16:54
Notes of caution:
One bear in the area has been reported to follow/stalk hikers.

This rural legend really needs to end. Someone started this one years ago and it is complete BS. Please change it to Ghosts. You may see a bear, but then again you may see one on the other thousands of miles of the AT.

refreeman
08-10-2007, 18:57
This rural legend really needs to end. Someone started this one years ago and it is complete BS. Please change it to Ghosts. You may see a bear, but then again you may see one on the other thousands of miles of the AT.

The information comes directly from a full time ridge runner on that section. Do you have any proof to back up your claim of BS? Just because you don't like something, Blue Jay, doesn't change it from fact to fiction, except maybe in your delusional mind.

skinny minnie
08-10-2007, 19:37
Well, I do know that there have been bear sightings in the area referred to. :) But that's all I know!

Still not 100% committed to my route yet, but thanks for all the suggestions - it's always nice to see what others enjoy. I usually stick to the Mt. Greylock area, so I'm trying to expand my horizons a little.

We'll probably end up dipping our toes in the same area as last week a little. Maybe taking the suggestion as far as starting in Salisbury.

And hey, I only shared about the blueberries because I felt guilty about eating all of the blackberries! Luckily there are more than enough blueberries to go around. :D