PDA

View Full Version : Newbie on the Trail

Thomas Cosden
08-09-2007, 20:48
Hello all. I'm excited to be here. My wife and I are day hikers from the Baltimore Metro area. We've done Patapsco Valley State Park, Gunpowder State Park ( the Sweet Air section ) and are looking forward to doing a sectional hike possibly from Interstate 70 to Devils Racecourse for our anniversary. I'm looking for some information about this hike. We will possibly be going on the second or third week in May of 2008. I'am looking for information for this hike. What are the weather conditions during this time of the year ? What ,if any , insects are on this section of the trail during this time of the year. Are there places to resupply water? Also is there available campsites at Devils Racecourse? We will be staying the night at Devils Racecourse and returning to Interstate 70. Thank's for any info anyone can give.

Egads
08-10-2007, 18:39
Newbie,

Sorry, I have no information for you, but welcome to Whiteblaze anyway. :welcome

Maybe someone here can help you who knows.:confused:

Egads

Thomas Cosden
08-15-2007, 16:49
Thank's Egads. I might even try to find and e-mail a local Hiking club.

sly dog
08-16-2007, 13:06
Welcome fellow sectioner, i did the MD section this year but cant recall the camping there. Too bad ya didn't have an extra day or two cuz the whole section from H.F. to Pen mar is awsome, you come across some cool history, nice views, very nice shelters and it is not too hard and only takes 3 days (casual walking). Well enjoy!!

sly dog
08-16-2007, 13:17
As far as everything else you asked, I went for memorial day weekend and it was 88 and very muggy, the insects were minimal other than the gazillion catapilers poopin on me from above(sounded like rain) and the water was plentyfull. Have fun

Pedaling Fool
08-16-2007, 13:57
I need someone to confirm, but I'm pretty sure I've heard some bad stuff about Devil's Racecourse Shelter. From what I remember it's a local hang-out and really dirty, also the spring is intermittent. I didn't stop there during my thru, I camped just past PENMAR at Falls Creek Bridge. (Camping not permitted at PENMAR).

If you look on the map, D RC Shelter does look close to Ritchie Rd, probably how the locals get there.

Someone please correct me if I've mistaken this shelter for another.

wilconow
08-16-2007, 14:10
I believe the bad thing about the Devils Racecourse shelter is that the water is difficult to get to..down a steep hill

The weather will be pretty similiar to the Baltimore metro area that time of year. These are pretty low "mountains".. there isn't going to be much of a change from the weather in the valley

There will be plenty of water throughout different places on the trail. Right before rt 491 is a big creek, but there are other places throughout. Get the PATC guide for MD (REI will have them)

You may consider setting up a shuttle so you don't have to cover the same area twice

Thomas Cosden
08-17-2007, 21:53
Thank's sly dog, john gault and wilconow for all the info. I think I read something about a good place to camp near the Devil's Racecourse Shelter(away from the locals) from someone on WhiteBlaze. The weather info will be helpful in choosing a good sleeping bag for this hike. Hopefully some day we will make the hike from Harpers Ferry to Pen Mar. Let's see how this one goes first.

Pedaling Fool
08-17-2007, 23:18
Don't forget to give us a trail report when you're done.

:sun