PDA

View Full Version : DWG question

rswanson
08-10-2007, 11:13
I'm planning on hiking near the Delaware Water Gap for 3-4 days with a few friends. Which is better hiking- the 40 or so miles south of the DWG or the 40 or so north? By better, I mean generally the more enjoyable and memorable section...thanks!

Johnny Thunder
08-10-2007, 11:28
Got to say that heading North will be much better. You'll remember a lot heading South. A lot of no views and a lot of rocks.

Johnny

Pedaling Fool
08-10-2007, 11:29
I hate rocks, so I'd go north. You'll see rocks north, but not as bad a the ones south.

max patch
08-10-2007, 11:48
North.

Sunfish Pond is a jewel.

Time To Fly 97
08-10-2007, 11:58
I'll fourth that. Views from Mt. Minsi in PA are beautiful, but after that there is just decent views over rocky trail. Going North is rocky too, but you'll see more interesting things - Mt. Tamany (DWG), Sunfish Pond, fire tower, High Point, nice overlooks like Pinwheel Vista, and the hiking is just beautiful. Also as you get closer to NY, there is unique terrain with purplish rock formations called Puddingstone. Of course, being from NJ, I may be a little biased : )

Happy hiking!

TTF

Grumpy Ol' Pops
08-10-2007, 12:16
Definitely the northbound sections. 3 or 4 days will be more than enough time for this section. Just remember, some stores are closed in Culvers' Gap on Mondays, so you might want to time your trip accordingly. Enjoy -- and use the bear boxes!

Ender
08-10-2007, 14:59
Ditto. Though I liked the south part, the north part is really pretty.

rswanson
08-10-2007, 15:47
Great, thanks guys! I can always count on the WB'ers for spot on info. I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I've never been to the DWG area, despite being a long time Maryland resident.

Ender
08-10-2007, 16:02
It's pretty. Actually, before (or right after) you may want to take a couple hours (tops... you could probably do it in 1-1.5) just to go up to the top of the ridge on the south side. The view of the DWG from up there is pretty spectacular. and it's not a long walk, so it's something you could just tack onto your trip.

Toolshed
08-10-2007, 17:18
Another vote for North.
Great ledges with views, easy walking, fewer rocks, Crater Lake, 2 firetowers and Rattlesnake Mountain are all some of the nice attractions.

7Sisters
08-10-2007, 17:42
What you get by heading north are:
1 - Backpackers campsite (just before Sunfish Pond) - great place to see bears
2 - Sunfish pond (great place to take a dip)
3 - Mohican Lodge (another great place for a dip)
4 - pretty ridgeline hiking
5 - Rocks - Until you get a few miles past Sunfish Pond, you'll see a lot of rocks.

Heading South
1 - some incredible views of the gap - you will see some just beautiful views
2 - first several miles are very open and sunny with overlooks
3 - the infamous rocks of PA which can be a "fun" unique experience

They are both nice, but I would head North.