PDA

View Full Version : Parking at USFS 83

greentick
08-10-2007, 17:24
USFS 83 at Mooney Gap just south of Albert Mtn in NC. I don't recall if there was any parking when I passed through there about a year ago. Can anyone give me the skinny? If so, anyone have any problems parking there? Thanks.

buckowens
08-10-2007, 18:02
Greentick,

I just came through there around 1 AUG or so and I don't specifically remember a parking area there. I remember it as being just another Gap with a road, but could be all jacked up. I just looked through my pictures and did not see any of the area. I will be interested in hearing what others have to say.

buckowens
08-10-2007, 18:16
Just found a pic of the sign there, but it does not show much of the area...

greentick
08-10-2007, 19:20
Thanks Buck. I went through there in Sep 06 in the pouring rain and didn't remember any either. I was hoping I was wrong.

max patch
08-10-2007, 21:12
I've never parked there, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't spot a car there.

As you know, Mooney is just south of Albert Mtn. Just north of Albert Mtn. is a large parking area. That is where I always park when I'm in the area.

Its no more than 2 miles via the FS road from Mooney to the lot I'm talking about. Or, of course, up and over Albert.

Pedaling Fool
08-10-2007, 22:14
If memory serves me, I don't recall a parking lot at Mooney Gap - just a road. However, I'm looking at my North Carolina map: Bly Gap to Fontana Dam (dtd 2004) and it has a parking area near Yellow Bald, which is about 1/2 mile west of Albert Mountain. Looks like you can take a side-trail from there to the AT. This side-trail is either the Bearpen Trail or, at least, it intersects it.

max patch
08-11-2007, 09:18
Like I said, I've always parked at the lot just N of Albert. However, here is what the Natahala Hiking Club (trail club for the area) says about Mooney:

6) Mooney Gap -- continue on FS67 for 9 miles, then turn right on FS83 for 0.5 mile. Mooney Gap a is small camping/parking area where AT crosses road.

http://www.maconcommunity.org/nhc/Trailheads.html

greentick
08-11-2007, 12:50
Thanks for the good info and the NHC link. Also, thanks for the water report Buck.