PDA

View Full Version : Need Ham repeater info

Username75
08-11-2007, 17:04
I am attemoting to put together a ham repeater directory for the PCT, and it wouldn't be hard to include the AT if anyone knows of any, the frequencies and PL if applicable.
either Email me [email protected] of post
Thanks
sam/KO6JQ:-?

zelph
08-11-2007, 18:25
I am attemoting to put together a ham repeater directory for the PCT, and it wouldn't be hard to include the AT if anyone knows of any, the frequencies and PL if applicable.
either Email me [email protected] of post
Thanks
sam/KO6JQ:-?

Sam, can you give us wanabes a link to a site that explains how to operate one of the altoid tin sized transceivers? Maybe give a brief explanation in Homade Gear Section on how to make one with a kit thats available. Thanks!!!!

Zelph/73/07/hike:-?

Tobit
08-11-2007, 18:28
Sam, can you give us wanabes a link to a site that explains how to operate one the altoid tin sized transceivers?
Operating them is easy once you learn morse code and become licensed by the FCC. All the really small transcievers that fit inside Altoids tins are morse code only rigs. Morse code is the most efficient means of radio communication.

73 de N1ESE

Footnotes
08-11-2007, 21:55
Have you thought about the ARRL Repeater Guide?

Foot Notes, aka K8PC

ATHIKER73
08-11-2007, 22:12
LET US KNOW WHEN YOU GET IT FOR THE AT..

RUSS WB9KWR:banana

Monkeyboy
08-11-2007, 23:33
Ham, ham, ham, ham, ham, ham, ham, ham, ham.....

How many times do you need it repeated?!?!?

Just kidding......

Username75
08-12-2007, 02:38
Have you thought about the ARRL Repeater Guide?

Foot Notes, aka K8PC
Wanted to know if any might be near enough the Trail to get into
& thought about a simple trail map guide with trail markers
on it.
about half way mapping the PCT where over 400 open repeaters
along the trail, most open and few with PL tones used during daylight hours
the Yosemite repeater at 147.000 has been available with many life threatening rescues accounted to it.
thanks for the reply
Sam/KO6JQ

jlb2012
08-12-2007, 06:25
beartrack1 indicated that he had downloaded a list of AT repeaters - perhaps an email or PM to him might give you a lead on where to find the list

knobdy
08-12-2007, 09:32
I'm not sure when the last time this was updated:

http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/hamguide.html

expenditioner
08-12-2007, 09:52
Sam..when you get time..email me at:[email protected] I can give you a link I use for all repeaters used in the US.I use this one all the time when I am out and about....Tom

Username75
08-16-2007, 03:50
Sam, can you give us wanabes a link to a site that explains how to operate one of the altoid tin sized transceivers? Maybe give a brief explanation in Homade Gear Section on how to make one with a kit thats available. Thanks!!!!

Zelph/73/07/hike:-?
well first off one MUST have an amatuer (Ham) Radio license to
operate even at the Milliwat power level, and at those frequencies a general
class license even though the code rquirements are done away with, these
are CW (code) type transmitters, and recievers and or trancievers.
the nor cal qroup has a website called http://www.qrp.com that has a lot of info on small footprint gear suitable for hiking, and camping.
another great resource for anything Ham radio is
http://www.ac6v.com That has even got the question pool
for taking any ham test, code practice programs, and or tapes,
where to take the test at, any even homebrew gear sites, and Kits
Sam/KO6JQ

flyingduckmonster
08-16-2007, 12:30
If there were enough 2m repeaters along the AT, especially ones with gateways to the Internet, I could be talked into taking an HT instead of a cellphone. [Yeah, yeah, I know, but I'll keep it off when there's no emergency happening.]
K--Q.
(I hate that the FCC puts our names and addresses online and globally searchable. It makes me angry.)

ki0eh
08-16-2007, 13:02
(I hate that the FCC puts our names and addresses online and globally searchable. It makes me angry.)

No more birthdates anymore, fortunately...

zelph
08-16-2007, 17:02
well first off one MUST have an amatuer (Ham) Radio license to
operate even at the Milliwat power level, and at those frequencies a general
class license even though the code rquirements are done away with, these
are CW (code) type transmitters, and recievers and or trancievers.
the nor cal qroup has a website called http://www.qrp.com that has a lot of info on small footprint gear suitable for hiking, and camping.
another great resource for anything Ham radio is
http://www.ac6v.com That has even got the question pool
for taking any ham test, code practice programs, and or tapes,
where to take the test at, any even homebrew gear sites, and Kits
Sam/KO6JQ

Thanks Sam for the site links, very helpful, good stuff there. 73

Are any of these units preprogramed with an SOS signal inconjunction with a gps signal. Or could they be? just for emergency use?

Username75
08-16-2007, 20:24
Thanks Sam for the site links, very helpful, good stuff there. 73

Are any of these units preprogramed with an SOS signal inconjunction with a gps signal. Or could they be? just for emergency use?

there are emergency locator transmitters built in an altoid tin
that works on the 212.800 MHZ frequency out of the ham bands, they are primarily used as avalanch locators, and put out an sos/Serial number/and
gps location, for the emersat service some guys build in portland.
they were building them for the PCT , but a few jerks set them off
clowning around, and they put a stop to that.
these were built by the Multinoma County Search and rescue and the
Vancouver washington search and rescue groups, that ran off of a 9Volt battery, and a six inch wire for an antenna
I might be able to get you a schematic, and the programing info
for the Eproms.:-?

hiker5
08-16-2007, 20:29
The same info as posted in the above link is on the ALDHA site (http://www.aldha.org/hams.htm).

cavedive2
09-30-2007, 19:04
I use my ham radio to transmit my location onto aprs when backpacking if there is a node around that can here me. But i keep it turned down for one so that the batteries last longer and 2 not to desturb anyone. I use the same rig while geocaching as well.

Cavedive2
Aka N9DIV

mweinstone
09-30-2007, 19:06
ko6jq whats your position on oj?

mdgamewarden
11-26-2007, 16:33
Whats up with the QRP website. Its not working.

Also how are you all keeping your rigs charged? What rigs do you take with you.

How is your APRS system set up. I have a tinytrek, GPS, and a VX5r. Its a very heavy setup.

rlharris
11-26-2007, 22:51
nerepeaters.com has a directory of the current repeaters in New England. You'll have to figure out which ones are close to the AT. Fortunately, the database can be sorted/searched by state, counties, and localities. I wish other repeater databases were as user-friendly :)

There is a companion directory for New York state.

In the Whites, the one on Canon Mountain and Mount Washington should be accessible on the AT from points north of (and including) Mount Moosilauke. :-? I'm still checking them out for my own use when hiking. I can use the one on Canon Mountain with a HT from my living room near the Ammonoosuc River.

ScoutingFamily74
06-01-2008, 16:48
Are there certain frequencies that are monitored by rescue personnel, should a rescue be needed?

mdgamewarden
06-01-2008, 17:12
When I lived near the trail I keep 146.52 on my scanner all the time, never talked to anyone on the trail. Take a look at the repeater guide talked about in an earlier post. See if any of them have a phone patch thats open to the public. You may be able to contact the owner of the repeater if its not open to the public, tell them you would only use it for 911 calls for help and see if they will give you codes to get to the patch.

I don't think any agencys keeps track of any frq. to listen for calls for help.

ScoutingFamily74
06-01-2008, 18:37
I knew 146.52 is the supposed calling frequency just not sure how well it is monitored. I also saved the sites that list the repeaters along the AT, that will be a tremendous benefit but there still appears to be a holes along the trail.

JaxHiker
08-08-2008, 15:41
Nice to see some amateur radio talk here. I'm an Extra and a VE.

Hoping to start section hiking the AT next year and I'd be interested in any trail-accessible repeaters. Not sure if I'm up for lugging a 857 and battery. :-)