PDA

View Full Version : Amphibious Hiking Sandals (Vegetarian?)

sheeba
08-11-2007, 20:25
Hello,
This is my first time posting on the board. :)

I have a good pair of hiking boots butI have never tried hiking sandals before. I am soon going to Costa Rica and looking for sturdy quick drying hiking sandals. Do you have any suggestions? I'd prefer to find a vegetarian sandal, but since I'm a little pressed for time, I'm open to all suggestions.

Sheeba

JAK
08-12-2007, 16:00
What is a vegetarian sandal? I'm just curious. Does it only include plant fibre and perhaps polymers made from natural rubber or perhaps synthesized from vegetable oils. The reason I ask is because I'm teaching a Material Science class to engineers this fall, and I want them to look at the life cycle material and energy costs of various alternative materials for various products. Do you also consider the life cycle energy costs. I would assume natural materials would also have less energy impact, but I suppose it also depends on transportation and distribution costs. Recycling muddies the waters a bit also, but again I think, done right, natural materials probably have an edge.

Some sort of link in the right direction would be sufficient. Thanks.
Meanwhile I will google "vegetarian clothing".

JAK
08-12-2007, 19:01
p.s. Wouldn't sandals made of amphibians violate the vegetarian thing? ;)

Dances with Mice
08-12-2007, 19:38
Do you have any suggestions? I'd prefer to find a vegetarian sandal, but since I'm a little pressed for time, I'm open to all suggestions. I just got a pair of these (http://www.chubascosandals.com/) this weekend and they are extremely comfortable and dry very fast. Obviously I can't comment on how well they will hold up over time.

Some styles contain leather, but that's made from cows and everyone knows that cows are vegetarians. So they are truly vegetarian sandals.

CoyoteWhips
08-13-2007, 07:35
This thread makes me :).

In my mind the word vegetarian applies to food and there's a variety of denomination of vegetarians, including those who eat dairy and fish.

Vegan, in contrast, generally implies no animal or animal products. So vegan sandals would preclude cow leather or even plastic made from milk.

Plastic is vegan, but the ecological and long term health concerns of petrochemicals make it less desirable than natural fibers like hemp or renewable resources like rubber; in my opinion.

If you really want to go environmentally conscience, you could recycle a tire into your sandals (http://www.hollowtop.com/sandals.htm).

sheeba
08-13-2007, 10:17
What is a vegetarian sandal? I'm just curious. Does it only include plant fibre and perhaps polymers made from natural rubber or perhaps synthesized from vegetable oils. The reason I ask is because I'm teaching a Material Science class to engineers this fall, and I want them to look at the life cycle material and energy costs of various alternative materials for various products. Do you also consider the life cycle energy costs. I would assume natural materials would also have less energy impact, but I suppose it also depends on transportation and distribution costs. Recycling muddies the waters a bit also, but again I think, done right, natural materials probably have an edge.

Some sort of link in the right direction would be sufficient. Thanks.
Meanwhile I will google "vegetarian clothing".

Well, I don't have a textbook definition for vegan/vegetarian clothing, but for myself, I define it as any item or product that is "cruelty free" (though this is a difficult term considering the scale of globalization and sweatshop labor -- can anything really be "cruelty free"?). If this means using second hand or recycled materials (as someone suggested, old tire shoes), using alternative resources, buying locally and organically, patronizing eco-friendly stores, and doing what some may consider "out of the way" practices to avoid using animal products (and animal tested products) or causing extensive harm to an environment, then that's what being vegetarian means to me. Actually, that's what being a decent human means to me! haha. But I suppose this is a tangent too large for an AT board :)

If I can think of any helpful websites, I will PM you.

Alligator
08-13-2007, 10:42
Using the term vegetarian to refer to animal free and ecofriendly will only increase confusion to those not familiar with either philosophy.

sheeba
08-13-2007, 23:15
Using the term vegetarian to refer to animal free and ecofriendly will only increase confusion to those not familiar with either philosophy.

Thank you, you are right. I should have made that a point in my "definition" though I believe that being eco friendly extends to all animals including ourselves!

Sorry if i confused or upset anyone :)

As for the sandal, I found one I'm satisfied with: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/25913562/c/641.html

has anyone had experience with this sandal or brand?

Heater
08-14-2007, 02:19
Thank you, you are right. I should have made that a point in my "definition" though I believe that being eco friendly extends to all animals including ourselves!

Sorry if i confused or upset anyone :)

As for the sandal, I found one I'm satisfied with: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/25913562/c/641.html

has anyone had experience with this sandal or brand?

The straps (buckles?) look a little suspect but I guess you could just sew those together if they broke. Honestly, I don't see why you just do not go with Teva or Chaco sandals?!! :confused: