PDA

View Full Version : thinking about foot wear

brit4jesus
08-12-2007, 14:06
:) ive just finnished reading the artical on here about thru hikes from datto and it says he changed boots every 450 miles wow is that true for everyone ??? how many pairs of boots do people go through an dose every one hike in boots or do they use seakers too i think ill have to go with boots as i sprained my anckle about 10 months an it seems week at times . what all do you think?

Phreak
08-12-2007, 14:52
I hike in trail runners with custom inserts and I get well over 1000 miles per pair of shoes.

woodsy
08-12-2007, 18:06
I like boots. Some people hike the whole length of the trail in one well built pair of boots.

JAK
08-12-2007, 18:15
Has anyhow done the trail in moccassins?

handlebar
08-12-2007, 20:40
My boots, LaSportiva Makalus, are heavy but they would have made the whole trail had I not started out with well over 500 miles. As it is they made it to Fanconia Notch where I had another pair of Makalu's (previously broken in) sent from home. If you plan to hike in full leather boots you must absolutely break them in by putting at least a couple hundred miles on them at home. YMMV. Handlebar, GA-ME 06.

hopefulhiker
08-12-2007, 21:15
I started out with Vasque Sundowners and switched to Montrail Trail Runners in Damascus. I did not regret the switch but went through 3 pairs of trail runners..

7Sisters
08-13-2007, 12:07
The majority of my section hiking was done in my LaSportiva Makula's. I love them - they are heavy, but in no way did I ever feel they were overkill nor did I feel like they limited my ability to do long miles in a day. Most of my days were 18 - 22 mile days.

What I think they afford you is the ability to not worry about walking on rocks and or kicking rocks. They are just much more robust and beefier. Also when the weather is rough in the beginning of the season, you don't want to be out there in a pair of light hikers or trail runners - same in October.

wudhipy
08-13-2007, 12:28
:-?great thread

I too am an aspiring thru hiker and boots are also a big question mark. Is there any such thing as a re-solable boot. The ones I was issued in the Army were. Just wondering if anyone knew of any.

see ya in the woods

wudhipy

7Sisters
08-15-2007, 06:04
The heavier the boot the easier and more cost effective it is to resole.

I used LaSportiva Makula's and had them resoled once. I absolutely loved the boot. The resoling of my boot cost arond $50.

One of the problems you run into with resoling a glued on sole versus a stitched on sole is leaking. Real high end boots that have stitched on soles are much easier to resole without any erosion of quality. However, in my experience you can run into issues with boots that have the soles glued on.

If you have a vibram sole, you'll almost certainly be able to get it resoled. Just make sure you do to a vibram sole cobbler.

The Weasel
08-15-2007, 12:58
Has anyhow done the trail in moccassins?

Well, in 2000, "Tyvek" (so named since all his gear was made out if it, including pack, sleeping bag, tent and bandana) was hiking barefoot, and got at least into the Smokies, I think. His wife was with him and went to shoes somewhere in north Georgia.

Mocs aren't gonna do it. You really do need foot protection.

As for boot/shoe life, I started seeing my and friend's boots come apart starting at about Hot Springs. Went to the outfitter this is late April) and he was out of "shoe patch" (I think that's the name, or "shoe goo", incredible stuff!) except for one tube. I had several puncture abrasions in my leather boots, and one good friend had full delamination of the soles of his Vasques, which was fixed so well by the Shoe Goo that they made it to Maine. My boots finally died at Erwin (punctures opened up) and were replaced by Timberland.

The Weasel

firemountain
08-15-2007, 13:44
On my thru hike last winter I went through seven pairs of trail runners. The ones I liked the most were the montrail hurricane ridge xcr ('07 model not '06). It seemed like most hikers were using trail shoes, and some were even using running shoes.

7Sisters
08-16-2007, 20:22
On my thru hike last winter I went through seven pairs of trail runners. The ones I liked the most were the montrail hurricane ridge xcr ('07 model not '06). It seemed like most hikers were using trail shoes, and some were even using running shoes.

That's an expensive way to hike. A pair of shoes every 300 miles is not an enjoyable and realible experience.

Did you return them or have to buy new ones? If you bought new ones, I imagine that was close to $700 to $800 in shoes.

yikes. So now you know what shoes NOT to get.

The Jolly Roger
08-16-2007, 22:27
That's an expensive way to hike. A pair of shoes every 300 miles is not an enjoyable and realible experience.

Did you return them or have to buy new ones? If you bought new ones, I imagine that was close to $700 to $800 in shoes.

yikes. So now you know what shoes NOT to get.

I know a thru-hiker who logged 1700 miles in a pair of montrail trail runners before they gave out. She then got another pair and finished the hike. I don't know which model they were, and I'm not a thru-hiker myself, so I'm no expert, but I guess it just depends on the shoe.

7Sisters
08-17-2007, 05:20
I don't know which model they were, and I'm not a thru-hiker myself, so I'm no expert, but I guess it just depends on the shoe.

It also depends on how you walk. I'm a heavy walker adn would tear thru them. I don't alter my step to go in between rocks, and have a lot of scrapes, scuffs and gashes on my shoes.

I think this may be as important as the quality of the trail shoe.

brit4jesus
08-17-2007, 07:32
dang!! so how much total did you all spend on your shoes for a thru hike ?

Grimace
08-17-2007, 11:40
You originally asked about trail runners and your weak ankles. After many years of somewhat competitive Ultimate Frisbee, my ankes were sprained many a times before my thru. I was concerned about ankles and started with boots that I quickly abandoned for New Balance Trail Runners. I got 700-1000 miles on NB 804's which I think you can still get from Bass Pro Shops but they have a different number. 450 somthings. Poles helped to prevet spraining and the constant walking really helps to strengthen the ankles. In fact, I still play Ultimate and have been sprain free since hiking.

soulrebel
08-17-2007, 11:47
Trailrunners are dead! Barefoot is the new chic!

firemountain
08-20-2007, 09:06
In my opinion a brand new pair of shoes every 350 or so miles was a VERY enjoyable experience. It also assured me that the pair of shoes on me feet would be reliable until worn out. The shoes I used are very lightweight and designed for trail running. They were not intended for long distance hiking through rough terrain. I have no problem replacing them when the tread is worn completely off. I know some hikers will make gear last for much longer, but that is not how I do things. I am sure you could use half as many shoes as I did, but I love my feet and enjoy the feel of new shoes.

I would never send my shoes back because I don't believe that hiking 400 miles in three weeks is a warranty issue!

I will be doing a thru hike this winter also and I am planning to use about seven or eight pairs of shoes again. I already have four pairs purchased. Last year I spent around a thousand dollars on trail runners.

If you think I spent a lot on shoes lets not talk about food! I guess I do things differently than many people. On my winter hike I was eating over 8000 calories per day which is a lot of food. I would estimate that I spent 4-5 thousand dollars on food! And it was good too!

Early Bird

Datto
06-13-2008, 00:31
If you go with the lightweight runners or lightweight boots, I'd plan on changing out shoes every 500 miles or so and get some liners (Spenco was my brand). The Spenco liners made a great deal of difference in comfort, assuming your shoe/boot has room for your enlarged foot as well as the liners.

On the AT I used Saloman low boots which were quite comfortable (for me anyhow) but wore out relatively quickly. Wore out means I would have had to have shoo gooed them in several spots to keep going.

A few pairs of low boots I had to duct tape the pieces together in order to keep making northbound progress until the next pair arrived. It's amazing how much abrasion and pounding the AT does to your shoes on an AT thru-hike.

As for cost, I remember that Saloman had paid for two of the replacement pairs on my AT thru-hike (since the first pair hadn't lasted more than about 400 miles tops) and I paid for the rest of the replacements.

Today, I hike in New Balance trail runners (whichever 8xx pairs are on sale when I bulk buy them for a long-distance hike). I still put Spenco inserts in each pair too.

Datto

mnof1000v
06-13-2008, 02:25
I started with some Timberland lightweight boots, but switched to trail runners in VA. I'll never go back. New Balance makes a few different models of reasonably priced trail runners. Very comfortable, and far less expensive than Montrail or some of the other brands you see at EMS, REI, Dick's, etc.

grrrhaha
07-13-2008, 05:11
It also depends on how you walk. I'm a heavy walker adn would tear thru them. I don't alter my step to go in between rocks, and have a lot of scrapes, scuffs and gashes on my shoes.

I think this may be as important as the quality of the trail shoe.

you really nailed down a good point here. as a boy i lived on a 'rez' in southern utah/arizona and because of the terain developed more of an agile walk. i usually hike in tennis shoes, and depending on your style of hiking they can last a long time. if you look on the bottem of your shoes soles you can determine with some confidence the kind of walker you are and then buy boots/trailrunners,whatever accordingly. different "style" shoes are usually designed with walking style in mind as well.
my last pair of new balance went over 1500 miles--although i don't think i'll be buying them anymore since the company sold out on it's 'affordable quality' vision. just make sure to have back-up plans for your feet.