PDA

View Full Version : Bob Bald?

Waterbuffalo
08-12-2007, 18:24
:-? I have seen pictures of the place but no where in guidebooks can I find it.
Where is it?

ed bell
08-12-2007, 18:40
:-? I have seen pictures of the place but no where in guidebooks can I find it.
Where is it?Are you talking about Bob Stratton Bald in the Joyce Kilmer/Slickrock Wilderness Area in NC?

Brushy Sage
08-12-2007, 19:15
Big Bald on the AT is seven mi north of Sams Gap. Check in the TN-NC section of the data book.

Brushy Sage
08-12-2007, 19:16
However, I now see you were asking about Bob Bald. Sorry I don't know.

Waterbuffalo
08-13-2007, 15:45
Ed Yeah thats the one is it in Slick rock off the AT?

ed bell
08-13-2007, 15:49
Ed Yeah thats the one is it in Slick rock off the AT?Not close to the AT, but the BMT may cross it, I'm not quite sure. There are quite a few on the message board who know quite a bit about the BMT and JK/Slickrock Wilderness, so maybe we will get a bit of help on that.:sun

Waterbuffalo
08-13-2007, 15:57
sounds good

troglobil
08-13-2007, 16:31
Hey Waterbuffalo, Bob Stratton Bald is several miles south west of the AT. It is on the southern edge of Joyce Kilmer right near the N. Carolina/ Tennessee line. It is in Tim Holman's book "Hiking Trails of Joyce Kilmer - Slickrock & Citico Creek Wilderness".
By the way, hello from Winder.

troglobil
08-13-2007, 16:37
Actually, I meant to say several miles SW of Fontana Dam.

Waterbuffalo
08-13-2007, 17:33
Thanks for the info Nice to see another WB'er in the area I'm near 211 and Boss Hardy Rd

Ramble~On
08-13-2007, 17:33
Bob Stratton Bald...aka Bob Bald aka "The Bob" aka Stratton Bald
It's a short jaunt off the BMT. It's well SW of Fontana Dam. The closest "town" is Tapocco, NC. Much of what was one time bald is now overgrown and reclaimed by scrub. I'm not sure if the FS still maintains this bald. They did maintain the portion outside the wilderness boundary in the 80's.
Still a bald with excellent views and a feeling of "being out there". The bald is 5160 '. The open meadow covers roughly 5 acres..There is a "usually" piped spring on the eastern side... a small side trail leads down to it next to the stand of Fraser Firs which the FS planted in the 50's. There are several maps -The National Geographic Maps "Trails Illustrated" series shows Bob Bald on the North side of map # 781 "TELLICO & OCOEE RIVERS". A more detailed paper map is available from the USFS (Recreation Guide R8-RG 22) "JOYCE KILMER-SLICKROCK WILDERNESS AND CITICO CREEK WILDERNESS" This paper map has far better detail of the trails in the wildernesses. Most area outfitters carry both maps or you can get the paper map on your way to the trail from the NC. District Ranger station @(704) 479-6431 or
TN District Ranger station @(615)253-2520.
The original AT used to pass through here prior to Fontana Dam. This area is shown on the AT map for the GSMNP, west side, lower left hand corner - Hangover Lead basically runs to the bald.

Waterbuffalo
08-14-2007, 09:09
Thanks Spirit That is all the info I needed and more.

WB