PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance trip on my section - water report

SGT Rock
08-13-2007, 08:34
If you are going to be hiking the BMT in the near future...

I was just out doing some work this weekend cutting blow downs and cleaning out some of the trash at campsites. The BMT in the Slickrock area looks in good shape. There were about 2 blowdowns that I didn't get cleared out yet (need a bigger saw) but they are nothing bad to get around or over. The main issue is the drought, springs and some streams that are normally flowing are dried out or are just muddy dirt. Slickrock creek is down about 6" to about 1' from what I am use to seeing. But Slickrock creek is still a good water source and Ike branch is still running enough to get water from.

FYI in case you needed to know.

Ramble~On
08-14-2007, 07:11
Thanks Sgt. Rock.

I maintain the Stiffknee and Fodderstack sections on the other side of the creek from you. I've had a lot of help clearing the bigger blowdowns from my sections and from that help I found the need for crosscut saws. I now have 2, a two man and a 1or2 man and would be very happy to help you...as others have helped me. I plan to be out there a good bit in the coming weeks..if I can help you - holler.

envirodiver
11-05-2007, 19:31
Any recent information on water availability for sections 1-11?

SGT Rock
11-09-2007, 08:59
I was out there this weekend on some of the sections. The creeks and rivers are all running with water - none of the ones I passed were dried out. I did not see or check any of the springs.

envirodiver
11-09-2007, 12:54
Thanks for the info. I'm headed out from Springer tomorrow and planning to exit at HWY 68. Worked it out so I don't have to drop a vehicle, which is good. If you have any time and would like to join me for some of the trip, PM me and I'll fill you in on my plan. Be glad for some company.

SGT Rock
11-09-2007, 14:36
New stores found this trip. At mile 36.4 there is a new store directly accross from the bridge that had some foods a hiker can use and meals. At mile 48.5 there is a store across the street from the Pink Pig. At mile 109.7 there is a store that is 0.6 miles up Childress Creek road that also has pay campsites and showers.

envirodiver
11-09-2007, 15:45
Thanks Rock, you probably just dropped about 2 lbs out of my pack. I'm sure that heading up Wallalah Mtn it will be very appreciated.

SGT Rock
11-09-2007, 15:48
You want the latst version? I have tightened it up a bit - but it might be more than you need.

envirodiver
11-09-2007, 19:15
Thanks I'd like to have it.

I'll probably go with what I have since I've been making notes on it etc.

But, I'd like to have the newest copy for when I get back. I'll add anything I might note on it and let you know.

SGT Rock
11-09-2007, 20:47
OK then. I'm doing some clean up on it now.

Ewker
11-10-2007, 10:24
Rock, thanks for the extra info.

SGT Rock
11-10-2007, 10:28
No problem. FWIW, I have just about completed the data portion of the guide - I'm just cleaning up the way it is presented to a more standardized entry. I'm also 90+ done with the book format. What I do need to do is fix some map and image issues.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-10-2007, 10:35
Need any help with the map and image issues? I'll be glad to do what I can to make this a reality.

I would like a copy when it is done. I can't wait to hike the BMT and hope to use it instead of the GSMNP portion of the AT in completing my section hike of the AT (still waiting for the ATC to endorse the route :) )

Ewker
11-10-2007, 10:38
Rock, are you and the BMTA working together on your book or is it just yours. I ordered their databook the other day. Can't wait to see yours when you get it done

SGT Rock
11-10-2007, 10:48
Need any help with the map and image issues? I'll be glad to do what I can to make this a reality.

I would like a copy when it is done. I can't wait to hike the BMT and hope to use it instead of the GSMNP portion of the AT in completing my section hike of the AT (still waiting for the ATC to endorse the route :) )I can send you the maps I have made. They are actually close to what I want, they just need better resolution - I know I could fix them but if you can do it while I work the other parts. If you are interested I can send them over this weekend. Once you see what I want done you will relalize how easy it is.

Rock, are you and the BMTA working together on your book or is it just yours. I ordered their databook the other day. Can't wait to see yours when you get it done
That is a sort of delicate one to answer. It was announced in the BMTA newsletter while I was in Iraq that Bill Ristom and I were working on the guide, but what I have has not gone in front of the board yet for approval. I'm also not that smart on how all that works - so maybe just the director of publishing needs to approve it. Once it is approved I'll have to look for a publisher - hopefully we can use the same people that did the databook.

Ewker
11-10-2007, 11:10
sorry if I put you on the spot with that question. Maybe I should have PM'ed you instead.

SGT Rock
11-10-2007, 11:16
No, I'm not worried about it. I just really don't know the steps involved. I e-mailed Bill Ristom about it yesterday.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-10-2007, 12:15
I can send you the maps I have made. They are actually close to what I want, they just need better resolution - I know I could fix them but if you can do it while I work the other parts. If you are interested I can send them over this weekend. Once you see what I want done you will realize how easy it is.I'd be glad to help whatever way I can. Do you have the hardcopies of the maps or are they digital? If they are digital, just send them to my email addy (your wife has it if you don't :D). If you have hard copies and what them rescanned to improved resolution, we photoshopping Dino types always have a really good scanner or two around.....

SGT Rock
11-10-2007, 12:26
This isn't even anything that hard. What I am doing is making 3 an overview maps that show the relationship of the trail to the surrounding towns. I'll send you the base I used and the three placeholders I made.