PDA

View Full Version : Here's the plan

Suzzz
08-13-2007, 15:36
Yes!!! I have a plan. Here it goes...

Departure from BSP on Saturday September 8th or 15th (still need to confirm dates with work), exit at the Logging road at mile 46. Total of 5 days on the trail with an average of around 10 miles a day.

Here are a few questions :
The information I have in the 2005 Data Book says there is both lodging and restaurants at the logging road situated at mile 46. Does anyone here know their names, addresses and email addresses?

Might a motel let me leave my car in their parking lot if I spend a night there?

Where can I find a shuttle service? The ones listed on the BSP website are either off-line or not answering my email. I hope to leave my car at the exit point (or as near as possible) and get driven to BSP. That way when I get off the trail I can get in my car and drive.

So here it goes. That's the plan. Anyone free on the second or third week of September is welcome to join me. I will post the definite dates as soon as they are confirmed.

I'm going, with or without a partner.

modiyooch
08-13-2007, 20:08
Joey and Heather Austin
Mountain Winds Lodge
East Millinocket, ME

207 746 9999 www.mountainwindsbandb.com (http://www.mountainwindsbandb.com)

I would leave my car at this b&b, and ask them to shuttle you. That's my plan for next summer 100 mile wilderness. They helped me with Kathadin last year.

firemountain
08-13-2007, 20:09
You can get the latest information on shuttles from the ATC website
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.806835/k.10F4/Getting_to_the_Trail.htm

Click on the link to shuttle info.

Mile 46? Sounds like you may be talking about White House landing, the only hospitality available in the 100 mile wilderness. It may be complicated to park your car near there. I know they have a phone number though. Also many day hikers climb Whitecap Mt so there is probably parking nearby.

Hope that helped.

Phreak
08-13-2007, 20:15
Mile 46 = White House Landing (great place to stay for a night)

Shuttle: Buddy @ 207.343.2564 or buppyx4 @ midmaine.com

veteran
08-13-2007, 21:16
White House Landing Wilderness Camp —

http://www.mainerec.com/ware2.shtml

Shutterbug
08-13-2007, 21:52

Departure from BSP on Saturday September 8th or 15th (still need to confirm dates with work), exit at the Logging road at mile 46. Total of 5 days on the trail with an average of around 10 miles a day.

The information I have in the 2005 Data Book says there is both lodging and restaurants at the logging road situated at mile 46. Does anyone here know their names, addresses and email addresses?

Might a motel let me leave my car in their parking lot if I spend a night there?

Where can I find a shuttle service? The ones listed on the BSP website are either off-line or not answering my email. I hope to leave my car at the exit point (or as near as possible) and get driven to BSP. That way when I get off the trail I can get in my car and drive.

So here it goes. That's the plan. Anyone free on the second or third week of September is welcome to join me. I will post the definite dates as soon as they are confirmed.

You can't leave your car at White House Landing. Their access is by a private road. Bill, the owner of White House Landing told me that it is 10 mles to the locked gate. He told me that the road is owned by a logging company that allows him to use the road, but he does not have the right to allow others to use it. Guests at White House Landing arrive by boat in the summer and by snowmobile in the winter.

There is a place to park your car where the AT crosses the Jo Mary Road. I don't have my map with me, but as I recall it is 5 or 6 miles south of White House Landing, however, that is a very isolated area. I would worry about leaving my car there.

In a prior post, you said that you want to start at the north end of the AT, but you have not mentioned Mt. Katahdin. The northern end of the AT is on the peak. Do you intend to climb Mt. Katahdin as your first day? If not, will you start at the Golden Road which is the entry point for the 100 mile wilderness but is outside of Baxter State Park? It makes a lot of difference for your schedule.

Year before last, I used Minuteman Taxi from Millinochet to shuttle from the airport in Bangor to the Golden Road. They are nice people. It was expensive (by hiking standards), but convenient.

Sometimes, Boarstone, a WhiteBlaze member, does shuttle in the 100 Mile Wilderness. You can send her a private message. Shaw's in Monson also does shuttle, but they are located at the southern end of the 100 mile wilderness, so it would be more than a 200 mile round trip for them to pick you up at the Jo Mary Raod, take you to Baxter State Park, then drive back home.

Assuming that you do not intend to climb Mt. Katahdin, my suggestion would be to park your car at Abol Bridge, get a shuttle to Jo Mary road and hike back to your car. That way, your car would be in an area where there are people. If you had a problem with your car, you would be in a location to get some help. If you arrive back at Abol Bridge earlier than anticipated, you would be able to do some hiking in Baxter State Park.

Shutterbug
08-13-2007, 22:12
Suzzz
Here is a link to the pictures I took during my hike of the section you are planning to hike:

http://www.naznet.com/mcclung/at/at.html#341

You will note from the sign that Jo Mary Road is 47.2 miles south of Abol Bridge. That would make a reasonable 5 day hike.

Suzzz
08-13-2007, 23:26
Thanks for the info to all of you.

Shutterbug: Sorry I was unclear but yes I definitely plan to start by hiking up Katadhin as it is the official end/start of the trail. According to my research the logging road is 46 miles from Mount Katadhin, making it a reasonnable 5 day hike. Should I run into problems I can always stop at Abol Bridge. As for my car, I won't leave it on a deserted road. I hope to find a motel or B&B that will agree to me leaving it in their parking lot.

Shutterbug
08-14-2007, 00:21
Thanks for the info to all of you.

Shutterbug: Sorry I was unclear but yes I definitely plan to start by hiking up Katadhin as it is the official end/start of the trail. According to my research the logging road is 46 miles from Mount Katadhin, making it a reasonnable 5 day hike. Should I run into problems I can always stop at Abol Bridge. As for my car, I won't leave it on a deserted road. I hope to find a motel or B&B that will agree to me leaving it in their parking lot.

Suzzz

I am not wanting to argue, but want to make sure you have taken everything into account.

You can't start your hike at the peak of Mt. Katahdin. You have to start at one of the camp sites at the foot of the mountain and hike to the top. If you want to stay on the AT, you will need to start at Katahdin Stream Camp Ground. The distance from Katahdin Stream to the peak is only 5.2 miles, but it is a difficult 5.2 miles. Adding that 5.2 miles to your 46 makes it a 51.2 mile hike.

In one of your earlier posts, you said that you didn't want to plan a very aggessive hiking schedule because you didn't want to "get in over your head." Be aware that the first day of your planned hike is the kind of day that could easily cause you to get in over your head. Climbing Mt. Katahdin isn't just another 10 mile day. I am a "seasoned" hiker and I found Mt. Katahdin to be a challenge. It took me 11 hours to make the 10.4 mile round trip. After the climb, I needed a day of rest before I took off down the trail.

If you plan to end your hike at White House Landing, how do you plan to get out? As far as I know the only way out of White House Landing is by boat. The "Tote road" that is shown on your map has not been used by vehicles in years. Unless it has been reopened since 2005, it is not usable by vehicles. No one could pick you up there.

attroll
08-14-2007, 00:49
If you are talking about the gravel road at mile 46.0 at the end of Nahmakanta Lake then your over 26 miles from any paved road. There is no lodging or restaurants even close by. The places I think they are referring are guide camps for fishermen. The person that would know the answer to this would be Askus3 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=679) here on WhiteBlaze. I believe he did the same thing you are about to do and he stayed at one of these camps or got shuttled by one of them. The best thing to do is contact Askus3 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=679) and ask him.

Suzzz
08-14-2007, 01:09
Thanks for your concern Shutterbug, I genuinely appreciate it.

I am aware that I need to go up Katadhin to start the trail and that it will add an extra 5.2 miles on my total hike. I guess I'm not very good at putting my plan in words.

I also realise this is not the easiest terrain to be hiking on. I know everybody says there is no training like the real thing but I go to the gym daily and do a combination of cardio and weight training. I'm in great shape but I'm also realistic. That's why I have Abol Bridge as a possible exit if I can't achieve my 10 miles a day goal.

As for the White House Landing, I understand what you are saying and will make some phone calls tomorrow to inquire about that. Thanks to some phone numbers I got here, I hope to clarify this information within the next few days. If what you are saying is true, and I have no reason to think it isn't, I'll have to find another exit point. I may have to come out at Abol Bridge afterall as 5 days is all I've got for this hike and I can't see another obvious exit point in the Data Book.

I also have a question you may be able to clarify for me... The Data Book and the Baxter State Park website seem to contradict each other. According to BSP website, you start at Katadhin Stream Campground to go to the summit of Mount Katadhin, then continue your route on the AT. The Data Book however says that you walk to Katadhin Stream Campground from the summit of Mt K. Am I reading this wrong?

Suzzz
08-14-2007, 01:15
Thanks ATTROLL, I'll send him a PM. Having a safe exit point is very important to me. I don't want to find out the hard way that I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere. Poor planning is the best way to guarantee a bad outcome.

Suzzz
08-14-2007, 01:20
Hmmmmm, I went back to have a look at the Data Book. It clearly says there is lodging, camping, and restaurants one mile east of the AT at mile 46. Could it be because my Data Book is from 2005? Do things change this quickly on the trail?

Suzzz
08-14-2007, 01:28
ATTROLL: According to the Data Book, Nahmakanta Lake is at mile 40.8 and Nahmmakanta Stream Campsite is at mile 44. The logging road I'm talking about is at mile 46, 1.7 mile before Pemadumcook lake that is at mile 47.7 In your opinion is that accurate? I'm starting to wonder if I should buy the 2007 version of the Data book.

Shutterbug
08-14-2007, 02:03
I also have a question you may be able to clarify for me... The Data Book and the Baxter State Park website seem to contradict each other. According to BSP website, you start at Katadhin Stream Campground to go to the summit of Mount Katadhin, then continue your route on the AT. The Data Book however says that you walk to Katadhin Stream Campground from the summit of Mt K. Am I reading this wrong?

The "Hunt Trail" is the AT. It runs through the Katahdin Stream Campground to the peak of Mt. Katahdin, so both sources are correct.

There are several different ways to get to the summit; however, if you start from anywhere other than Katahdin Stream you will have to carry your full pack on the climb. Most climbers leave their large pack at Katahdin Stream and carry only the 10 essentials. You can borrow a day pack from the Ranger Station at the camp groud. If you don't have a safe place to leave your pack, you can leave it at the Ranger Station.

Shutterbug
08-14-2007, 02:19
The "Hunt Trail" is the AT. It runs through the Katahdin Stream Campground to the peak of Mt. Katahdin, so both sources are correct.

There are several different ways to get to the summit; however, if you start from anywhere other than Katahdin Stream you will have to carry your full pack on the climb. Most climbers leave their large pack at Katahdin Stream and carry only the 10 essentials. They pick up their pack when they come back down.

You can borrow a day pack from the Ranger Station at the camp ground. If you don't have a safe place to leave your pack, you can leave it at the Ranger Station.

Please don't let my nit-picking scare you. I am a believer that careful planning is the secret to a successful hike. I am one of those guys who thinks through every step of a hike before I go, then as soon as I get on the trail, I start changing the plan. I seldom end up doing exactly the hike that I planned. A lot of the fun of hiking is being flexible enough that you can change things up if you want. But careful planning is what helps you to understand the consequences of a change.

You are going to have a great time and you are doing the right thing by posting your plan for others to critique.

Shutterbug
08-14-2007, 02:21
Hmmmmm, I went back to have a look at the Data Book. It clearly says there is lodging, camping, and restaurants one mile east of the AT at mile 46. Could it be because my Data Book is from 2005? Do things change this quickly on the trail?

White House Landing has all of those, lodging, camping and a restaurant. What they don't have is a road.

attroll
08-14-2007, 02:27
ATTROLL: According to the Data Book, Nahmakanta Lake is at mile 40.8 and Nahmmakanta Stream Campsite is at mile 44. The logging road I'm talking about is at mile 46, 1.7 mile before Pemadumcook lake that is at mile 47.7 In your opinion is that accurate? I'm starting to wonder if I should buy the 2007 version of the Data book.
I know it says that. I also have the Data Book in front of me, but it is not true unless they are referring to the guide camps which I think they are. Also that logging road at 46.0 is not maintained anymore if I remember correctly. There is a road right after the lake that is still used and very well maintained but it is not in the data book. It is listed on the MATC map though . As I said the best thing to do is get ahold of Askus3 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=679) and ask him.

Shutterbug
08-14-2007, 02:31

The data book is correct. At that location is a "Tote Road." You can still see where the tires used to run, but there are trees growing in the road that look like they are at least 10 years old. It isn't a road that a vehicle can still use.

The Tote Road is now a "blue blaze" trail that leads to the edge of Pemadumcook Lake. When you reach the shore of the lake, you will find a small dock with an air horn on it. If you blow the air horn, Bill from White House Landing will come in his boat to pick you up and shuttle you to White House Landing, where you can stay for the night and eat a great hamburger or pizza. When you leave, Bill will take you back to the Tote Road in his boat.

White House Landing has lodging, a resturant and camping. It just doesn't have a road that you can use to get out of the 100 Mile Wilderness.

Shutterbug
08-14-2007, 02:50
I know it says that. I also have the Data Book in front of me, but it is not true unless they are referring to the guide camps which I think they are. Also that logging road at 46.0 is not maintained anymore if I remember correctly. There is a road right after the lake that is still used and very well maintained but it is not in the data book. It is listed on the MATC map though . As I said the best thing to do is get ahold of Askus3 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=679) and ask him.

The float planes out of Millinocket are surprisingly reasonable. You might consider arranging for a float plane to pick you up at White House Landing. It may not be much more expensive than a shuttle.

7Sisters
08-14-2007, 05:32

If you are looking for shuttle service, you can contact the ATC website. They have a pretty good listing of shuttle services.

I agree with you walking to your car. It's much less stressful and walking from your car to a destination and getting picked up.

Should be a great time of the year to go. Enjoy

Suzzz
08-14-2007, 09:53
Shutterbug and ATTROLL, your help and knowledge of the trail are greatly appreciated. Please do not refrain from nit-picking at my plan in fear of upsetting me. Fifteen years ago I thought I knew everything and my reaction would've probably been different but I now know just enough to know that I don't know enough, so rock on. There are 26 letters in the alphabet and I'm only on plan C.

So, White House Landing is out. I now see in the Data Book that mile 46 does not have road access, I got sidetracked by the fact they were calling it a logging road. My mistake. There is indication of a road from Nahmakanta Lake however as ATTROLL was indicating.

I've sent Askus3 a PM and waiting for his reply.

Have a great day!