PDA

View Full Version : Gear list

wrongway_08
08-13-2007, 16:58
Just posting so I can keep track of everything, if you have any ideas, let me know.
Leave date, March 1st, 2008 - Springer Mtn.

- Pack, The North Face Skareb 55 - 3 lb 9 oz
- Platypus 3 liter drink bladder - 3.75 oz
- Sleeping Bag/stuff sack, Mont-Bell, 40 degree 800 fill - 1 lb 2.85 oz
- Sleeping Pad/stuff sack, Big Anges, inflate-insulated, modified (see post under gear talk) - 12.20 oz
- Tent, MSR Microzoid/Foot Print, stuff sack - 2 lb 14.90 oz
- Stove/pot/fuel Boil.(fuel,spoon,fork,lighter also) - 1 lb 5.75 oz total
- Water Filter, Katadyn Hiker Pro - 12.70 oz
- Leki Poles - 1 lb 4.80 oz
- light, Petzl Tikka plus - 2.70 oz
- Gloves - Burton 2 in 1 - 10.90 oz
- Bear Bag, 20 feet string (not for just bear bag) - 2.70 oz
- Boots with gel insoles - 2 lbs 12.50 oz

* Clothes: - 5 lb 12.20 oz total
.- Smart Wool Merino, Long top & bottom - 12.50 oz
.- Under Armour, under wear (2) - 5.90 oz
.- REI, pants/short combo - 13.15 oz
.- REI, Light Rain Pants - 9.75 oz
.- REI, Light Rain Jacket - 14.80 oz
.- Exoffico long sleeve roll up shirt - 7.90 oz
.- Under Armour T-shirts (2) - 10.10 oz
.- Wool socks (3)and liner socks (2) - 13.95 oz
.- Clothes stuff sack, water proof, sleeping bag holder also - 4.05 oz

* Medical pack: - 5.55 oz
- Band-aids, 8 real small (to make stiches if needed) 2 large
- cutters
- 6 small eye wash tubes
- Small size Campho-Phenigue Antiseptic
- 25 Q-Tips
- 3 needles
- Tweezers
- 4 Alcohol wipes
- small mirror

*Health pack: - 9.80 oz
- Suntan lotion
- Tooth Paste
- Tooth Brush
- small soap
- body wipes

Gear Total - 23 lb 10.25 oz
Pack total - 19 lb 6.95 oz (total gear weight, minus the clothes/boots I will be wearing and the poles)

Water weight would be
3 liter, 100 oz = 6 lb 4 oz
2 liter, 70 oz = 4 lb 6 oz
1 liter, 34 oz = 2 lb 2 oz
Hopefully will not have to carry 6 lbs of water while hiking but its nice to have the ability just in case. Water is one of the few items I dont mind having too much of, just in case.

Two items I am thinking of replacing
1) Skareb with a Go-lite Jam 2, - 1 lb 6 oz (saves me 2 lb 3 oz)
2) MSR Microzoid with the Traptent Contrail, 1 lb 8.25 oz (saves me 1 lb 5.75 oz) The tarp tent would save room due to not having poles and its lighter material so it will compact to a smaller size.
Not sure on these yet, still need to try them out.

Bought a better scale, was able to weigh each item seperate but looks like the old scale lied! Will be redoing a few items later, gloves and such later to kill some weight. Looks like I might miss my 25 lb goal weight when I add food/water to the numbers - looks more like a touch under 30 lbs, 17% of my body weight .

hopefulhiker
08-13-2007, 17:29
I like the BA stuff, The MSR is a good tent, You could get a lighter pack, I would look at frog toggs, instead of goretex stuff( it is heavy) you need a light, bear bag, and rope....

wrongway_08
08-13-2007, 18:11
I was looking at a lot of packs but this one fits so well, I will be doing a trip this weekend, hope it still feels as comfy after wearing it for 2 days.
The Frog Toggs seem good, have you worn them? There is a Bass Pro shop down the road from my work, I will check them out Thursday.
I do have a headlamp (led style) I will be bringing, just forgot to add it in.
Bear bag is now on the list - meant to buy it - forgot to.
Thanks for the help.

hopefulhiker
08-13-2007, 18:22
Yeah I wore them on a whole thru hike.. Just the tops though.. I take back the gortex thing.. In colder weather I used the Marmot full zip rain pants. In warm weather just took two pair of shorts..The full zip on the rain pants helped for venitlation. Frog Toggs are really light.. They looked pretty raggedy at the end of the trip...

Egads
08-13-2007, 19:49
Wrongway_08

I presume that you plan to thru in 08. You do not give your anticipated departure date.

Just my opinion, but you should use a 15-20 deg bag from Springer into Virginia. There was a freak cold front Easter 2007 with temps in low teens & hard winds in the Smokies. A 40* bag is not enough even with your clothes on. You would not survive the night in that bag and those conditions if you were hypothermic and needed to warm up.

Also, I'd replace the filter for Aquamira or another treatment. Filters are heavy & they fail. Another consideration is the Steripen; but I'd have a chemical backup to either system (filter or Steripen).

No insulation? You may need gloves, fleece/wool hat, vest / jacket.

Definately add a camera w/ extra batteries & memory cards to your list.

Spare platypus? I usually carry 2.

Good shopping & great hiking.

Egads

hopefulhiker
08-13-2007, 20:05
Also consider a silk liner for your sleeping bag...

Panzer1
08-13-2007, 20:06
Here's a couple of things:

note book + pen/pencil
guide book - in zip lock
AT Trail map
compass
25 feet of 4mm cord
flash camera - in zip lock
hiking wallet
Swiss Army knife
Petzl Tikka headlamp - in ziplock
small backup LED light (approx 1 oz)
gallon zip lock bag for trash
trekking poles
1 Cigarette Lighter
hat
watch
camp shoes
FOOD

Panzer - good hiking

wrongway_08
08-13-2007, 20:53
I was undecided about a warmer bag, I sleep hot - even in the winter time I leave one bed room window half open. I do have another 20 degree bag, does not weigh much more then the 40 degree bag, I was thinking of bringing that one also.
Also thinking that with the small tent, my clothes on, I would be warm.
May as well bring the other bag also, worse case I mail it home.
Thanks for the gear list, I will try to post the items that i have off the list on Tuesday.
Oh yea, I am leaving from Springer on March 1st 2008.
Can we edit our post, or do I have to keep redoing the list everytime, or is there another post area where we can edit post?
Thanks for the help

Panzer1
08-13-2007, 20:58
Can we edit our post, or do I have to keep redoing the list everytime, or is there another post area where we can edit post?

You can only edit your post if you are a contributing member. Meaning you first have to make a cash donation to get the privledge.
Otherwise you just have to create another seperate post.

Panzer

bulldog49
08-14-2007, 16:54
I was undecided about a warmer bag, I sleep hot - even in the winter time I leave one bed room window half open. I do have another 20 degree bag, does not weigh much more then the 40 degree bag, I was thinking of bringing that one also.
Also thinking that with the small tent, my clothes on, I would be warm.
May as well bring the other bag also, worse case I mail it home.
Thanks for the gear list, I will try to post the items that i have off the list on Tuesday.
Oh yea, I am leaving from Springer on March 1st 2008.
Thanks for the help

I would start out with the 20 deg bag only, not both. Switch bags in late April or May.

Panzer1
08-14-2007, 22:09
Add something for blisters to your med kit, just in case.

IE:
1" surgical tape
1/2" paper surgical tape
moleskin foam / thick
moleskin plus / regular
duck tape for blisters
2nd skin (spenco medical)

Also hand soap, to wash hands before eating so you don't get sick.

Panzer

Kirby
08-14-2007, 22:43
You do not need two sleeping bags at once, bring the colder one to start, take it atleast through the Smokies, then you might be able to safely ditch it for the warmer one.

Kirby

wrongway_08
08-19-2007, 17:29
After camping this weekend, I will be bringing the warmer one for winter. The 40 degree bag was perfect, took about 15 minutes to heat up, then stayed at a comfy temp. Being in the bag is like not even having it on, soooo comfy.

wrongway_08
08-29-2007, 17:44
Just posting so I can keep track of everything, if you have any ideas, let me know.

- Pack, Go-Lite Jam 2, - 1 lb 5.20 oz
- Sleeping Pad/stuff sack, Big Anges, inflate-insulated, modified (see post under gear talk) - 12.20 oz
- Trail runners with gel insoles - 1 lbs 8.8 oz

- cutters
- 6 small eye wash tubes
- 25 Q-Tips
- 3 needles
- Tweezers
- 4 Alcohol wipes
- small mirror

- Suntan lotion
- Tooth Paste
- Tooth Brush
- small soap
- body wipes

Gear Total - 20 lb 2.75 oz
Pack total - 16 lb 8.25 oz (total gear weight and pack, minus the clothes/boots I will be wearing and the poles)

WINTER GEAR: Should add 2lbs 10oz to my pack weight - if I go with the brands I am thinking about. Then the 14oz for the boot weight.
- Down, Down Top & Bottom
- Head cover
- Gloves
- 20 Degree Bag
- Boots 14oz

Water weight would be
Hopefully will not have to carry 6 lbs of water while hiking but its nice to have the ability just in case. Water is one of the few items I dont mind having too much of, just in case.

items I am thinking of replacing:
1) replacing the Microzoid with a Tarptent Contrail, saves 1 lb 5.70 oz and packs smaller. I did look at hammocks but decided against it - used them before while hiking but during the thru-hike I will be happier with the tent.
2) I have decided to go with trail runners, still looking around on these, my current pair would save me 1 lb 8.8o oz.
3) Filter, I am looking around at different options, not sure of changing this item yet.
4) silk liner, I need to go buy some material, the ones they have out are way too big for me.
5) foot powder will be added, also I am looking for powdered toothpaste now to kill weight and to not make such a mess.
6) I have another sleeping bag for winter, 20 degree Mountain Hardwear - more like a 15 degree, I slept hot in it over last winter.

Bought a better scale was able to weigh each item seperate but looks like the old scale lied! Will be redoing a few items later, gloves and such later to kill some weight. Looks like I might miss my 25 lb goal weight when I add food/water to the numbers - looks more like a touch under 27 lbs, less then 17% of my body weight .

Sorry had to pull this down from the top, wouldnt let me edit the first one anymore. Just changed out the pack to a Go-Lite, not sure if it will stay this way but walking around the house it feels pretty good. saved 2 lb 3.80 oz doing this.

SteveJ
08-29-2007, 18:08
I think you may be going light on your sleeping bag. I hiked north of Springer the second week of April this year, and temps were down into the low 20's. Several thru-hikers who stayed in the shelter at Hawk Mtn were definitely not prepared for the temps, and were miserable all night. Even wearing all of your clothes and jacket, you may be a little/lot chilly if temps are normal for the first of March.

A matter of personal opinion, of course, but I'd lose the filter and go with aqua mira if there's plenty of water (as you know, others will probably tell you to lose the filter and not worry about it....). If it's dry next spring (like now), you may want to bring the filter to pump....

I'd consider a small container of Gold Bond powder to add to your Med pack......

What kind of boots / shoes are you planning on wearing? Your pack weight should be light enough to go with trail runners / shoes of some sort....

I agree on the water...I left out of Neel's Gap a month or so ago with almost 6 litres for my son and I - but I was also carrying for him.....

Of course if you lost the tent and replaced it with a hammock, you'd be more comfortable! ;)

What fun! Have a ball planning!

Steve

- Pack, Go-Lite Jam 2, - 1 lb 5.20 oz

- cutters
- 6 small eye wash tubes
- 25 Q-Tips
- 3 needles
- Tweezers
- 4 Alcohol wipes
- small mirror

- Suntan lotion
- Tooth Paste
- Tooth Brush
- small soap
- body wipes

Gear Total - 21 lb 6.45 oz
Pack total - 17 lb 3.15 oz (total gear weight and pack, minus the clothes/boots I will be wearing and the poles)

Water weight would be

2) MSR Microzoid with the Traptent Contrail, 1 lb 8.25 oz (saves me 1 lb 5.75 oz) The tarp tent would save room due to not having poles and its lighter material so it will compact to a smaller size.

Bought a better scale, was able to weigh each item seperate but looks like the old scale lied! Will be redoing a few items later, gloves and such later to kill some weight. Looks like I might miss my 25 lb goal weight when I add food/water to the numbers - looks more like a touch under 27 lbs, less then 17% of my body weight .

Sorry had to pull this down from the top, wouldnt let me edit the first one anymore. Just changed out the pack to a Go-Lite, not sure if it will stay this way but walking around the house it feels pretty good. saved 2 lb 3.80 oz doing this.

hopefulhiker
08-29-2007, 18:14
Still think you ought to carry a spare water container. Also consider a silk liner..

CoyoteWhips
08-29-2007, 18:23
How are folks on the idea of keeping an emergency space blanket? I've used mine a couple of times when the nights were unexpectedly colder than my sleeping gear allowed. I have the less noisy orange version. Weighs 2.1 ounces in its ziplock.

wrongway_08
08-29-2007, 20:12
Thanks for all the ideas, there are a few things I will be changing, I just have not done them yet. In the works:
1) replacing the Microzoid with a Tarptent Contrail, saves 1 lb 5.70 oz and packs smaller. I did look at hammocks but decided against it - used them before while hiking but during the thru-hike I will be happier with the tent.
2) I have decided to go with trail runners, still looking around on these, my current pair would save me 1 lb 8.8o oz.
3) Filter, I am looking around at different options, not sure of changing this item yet.
4) silk liner, I need to go buy some material, the ones they have out are way too big for me.
5) foot powder will be added, also I am looking for powdered toothpaste now to kill weight and to not make such a mess.
6) I have another sleeping bag for winter, 20 degree Mountain Hardwear - more like a 15 degree, I slept hot in it over last winter.

Again, thanks for all the input!

mweinstone
09-02-2007, 19:55
wrongway your family to me. and i should never go against the family, but ,........you need to loose all the medical stuff and understand that its cool to be all bloody and cut up but not cool to walk around all band aided up. just lookin out for your image bro. me and stonewall is a commin to the pre gath. see ya!

Nest
09-02-2007, 20:42
Thanks for all the ideas, there are a few things I will be changing, I just have not done them yet. In the works:

Again, thanks for all the input!

Here's my opinion

I tried Aqua Mira, and can't stand the taste. I am willing to carry a filter to have water that I enjoy drinking. I will be carrying the Hiker Pro next year. You could always start your thru hike with a filter, and if you don't think it is worth the weight, just send it home and get aqua mira. Aqua Mira is cheap and light. You can always carry both and see which you like most, and send the other one home or in a hiker box or something.

For powdered tooth paste, I carry baking soda. It worked for my great grandmother, and she never had a cavity in her live. Plus it doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth, and can double as a scrubbing powder incase your cook pot won't come clean. Also, leave no trace require that you walk a good distance form your campsite before using toothpaste. Baking soda doesn't require that.

For the trailrunners, I am very pleased with my Salomon XA Pro 3D
http://www.rei.com/product/719709. The quick laces are nice.

mweinstone
09-02-2007, 20:47
i carry jesus. hes light as a feather.

wrongway_08
09-02-2007, 21:08
wrongway your family to me. and i should never go against the family, but ,........you need to loose all the medical stuff and understand that its cool to be all bloody and cut up but not cool to walk around all band aided up. just lookin out for your image bro. me and stonewall is a commin to the pre gath. see ya!

Dont worry, I dont carry them for cuts or slices. Only for the good stuff, when you should go to the hospital but dont, because they take too long, its boring waiting for the doctor, they charge too much and they dont leave a cool scar :D .

Flexo
09-03-2007, 04:43
just posting here so I can reference this later. my pack list for 08 is very similar and i don't want to create new thread for nearly the same thing :)

ScottP
09-03-2007, 12:19
Well, here we go

- Pack, The North Face Skareb 55 - 3 lb 9 oz
>>North face doesn't make real gear. They make trendy gear mock-ups--stuff that looks cool but sucks. Get a ULA Relay or Conduit
>> Having a 3L resevoir is nice so you can dry camp or only have to make 1 run down to the water source, but carrying water is rarely nessecary on the AT, so having a hose drinking system is a bit silly. You'll pass a water source that looks like something out of an irish spring commercial every couple of miles till central VA.
>>> You're going to freeze your ass off. Either start later (Like april 20th), or drop the money and get at LEAST a 15 deg. to start that early.
>>Will be a good pad, maybe a touch cold if you start march 1, until you get used to sleeping on the ground. Then switch out to a ridgerest.
>>The last thing you need is a tent (until you get into New Jersey mosquitos aren't a problem. Look at the Six Moons designs Wild Oasis tarptent (14 oz). Also, you could carry a silnylon 6x10 tarp (9 oz) and switch out to your tent once the bugs actually come out (it'll be a couple of months into your hike. a lot of time to carry needless weight)
>>What size pot? What kind of stove?
>>Absolutely unnessecary. If you're worried about water quality on the AT carry a steripen adventurer, or a Sawyer Just Drink. (I'm not a beliver in chemical treatments--my stomach doesn't like them)
>>decent enough poles. If you haven't bought them yet I'd buy Komperdells though. Leki customer service (through leki themselves) isn't really all that hiker friendly anymore, but local outfitters will hook you up.
>>good light
>>Total overkill, but no need to by something new. Enjoy the luxury until late april/past mt. rogers then send 'em home.
>>Why do you want bears to play tetherball with your food? Hanging a bear bag is a terrible idea.
>>Real hikers dont' wear boots. Get trail runners.

>>No need to have underwear. it'll only get REALLY nasty
>>A worthless item. You already have long sleeves on your smartwools and your rain pants. Just get a pair of running shorts, marathon shorts, or a kilt
>>A silnylon rain wrap (I think ULA and equinox both make them) would be a lot better. Rain pants are heavy and uncomfortable
>>good to start off with. Once you get into may/past Mt. Roger's switch this out for a montbell windbreaker (2.5 oz)
>>another unnessecary item. You alredy have 2 long sleeves (smartwools and rainjacket), a 3rd is unnessecary, and this won't keep you warm.
>>You really only need one. I'd rather have a loose fitting polo shirt with a collar.
>>the wool sock/liner sock system is silly. Carry 1 pair of wool socks if you're really afraid of cold conditions or for sleeping with at night, but you'll be much better off if you hike in 1/4 length coolmax socks (I've had the best luck with Ultimax for normal times, or darn toughs for really rainy/wet weather) or smartwool adrenilines, whatever fabric you prefer.
>>I'd add in a Western Mountaineering Flight down vest. I don't think you realize how cold the southern AT is in early spring.

- cutters
- 6 small eye wash tubes
>>> what for?
- 25 Q-Tips
>>???
- 3 needles
- Tweezers
- 4 Alcohol wipes
>>carry hand sanitizer instead
- small mirror
>>what for?

carry a mini-roll of duct tape or athletic tape. Don't think that you can roll tape from a large roll onto a straw or your poles or someting. It won't be sticky enough if you do that.

- Suntan lotion
- Tooth Paste
- Tooth Brush
- small soap
>>get rid of this. The only thing you can do is spread pollutants. Even 'biodegradable' soaps take decades to break down.
- body wipes
>>what for

Gear Total - 23 lb 10.25 oz
Pack total - 19 lb 6.95 oz (total gear weight, minus the clothes/boots I will be wearing and the poles)

Water weight would be

Bought a better scale, was able to weigh each item seperate but looks like the old scale lied! Will be redoing a few items later, gloves and such later to kill some weight. Looks like I might miss my 25 lb goal weight when I add food/water to the numbers - looks more like a touch under 30 lbs, 17% of my body weight .

aaroniguana
09-03-2007, 12:44
carry a mini-roll of duct tape or athletic tape. Don't think that you can roll tape from a large roll onto a straw or your poles or someting. It won't be sticky enough if you do that.

Depends on the tape. I use Gorilla Tape. It has more stickum and the tape is thicker. Can be used over and over. Weighs a little more but you carry less (I have 3 feet on each pole). And it stays sticky even in the cold.

wrongway_08
09-03-2007, 13:07
Thats a old list, new one is a litle further down the post - it wouldnt let me edit the original anymore.

The drinking bladder with tube is the best way to go for me, it allows you to sip water while you go, the idea in any workout is to replinish the body slowly, as you loose it. Plus if you drink only when your thirsty - its too late - your body is already below the level it should be = dehydration. You train your self to drink sips as you go before thinking "I'm thirsty" this way your body does not get to the point of needing water. I use this sytem for all my sports.

While bottles do work, I dont like have to fumble with them. Plus to get a drink I need to put down one of my poles, find the bottle, drink, put the bottle back and then pick back up hiking pole - I wouldnt drink enough, often enough because its too much of a PITA. With the water bladder tube, I bite the valve and drink, often. Easy simple. Plus washing your hands/face off is easy and you dont waste 6 oz doing it.
But everyone has likes/dislikes, as long your system keeps you hiking and happy, thats all that matters.

Lekis Rule :) , my pair is over 15 years old and never had a problem with them, abuse the heck outta them too.

While I am thinking of going with the Go-Lite, the Skareb is a great pack, it does not shift, supports well, plenty of space, and is made bomb proof. It has been the most comfy pack I have used in a long while. Also the suspension system keeps things from bouncing around while jumping down rocks.

You are right some of the items, like the 3 pair of socks, seems over kill but I have nail problems and need to change them every day to keep them as clean as possible. I might go with only 2 sets. The liners just work better for my feet.
The Q-tips are because my ears get really dirty, I have to clean them in the morning and night.

I am still going through the list, it will change over the months. Thanks for the input!

JAK
09-03-2007, 13:33
Plus if you drink only when your thirsty - its too late - your body is already below the level it should be = dehydration. You train your self to drink sips as you go before thinking "I'm thirsty" this way your body does not get to the point of needing water. I use this sytem for all my sports.You should read "Lore of Running" by Dr. Ted Noakes. It's a classic. Its way more complicated than you described. How do you know your not drinking too much? What good do little sips do if they still sit in your stomach before it empties them? What about the effects of the amount of sugar and salts and ph level make? Gross over-generalizations might help sell hydration systems and sports drinks, but they are certainly not for everybody and all sports.

JAK
09-03-2007, 13:38
Should be in your free public library by the way.
No need for everybody to rush out and buy one. ;)

wrongway_08
09-03-2007, 15:52
Not trying to sell anything. I know all about salts, sugars levels, chemical reactions between vitamins and hourly absorbtion rates. . Everyone should understand whats going on inside the body but I am not getting into all that.
Fact is most people under drink.
Your right, you can over drink. Youll get sick, loose strength, throw up. Never had it happen to me.
Sipping water as you go allows your body to slowly reabsorb the water, without upsetting the salt/sugar balance more then needed. Water sitting in your stomach is not much of a problem, unless you guzzle a few cups at a time.
A lot of the sport mixes do good - not the junk like Gatoraid, it helps but has waaaaay too much sugar in it. At the same rate those sport mixes dont give you superman abilities.

Its not like I am sayn your wrong for not using one, do what works for you.
I have just seen too many people that dont drink enough while doing sports because the water is not easily at hand and these systems help out.

JAK
09-03-2007, 16:02
Not trying to sell anything. I know all about salts, sugars levels, chemical reactions between vitamins and hourly absorbtion rates. . Everyone should understand whats going on inside the body but I am not getting into all that.
Fact is most people under drink.
Your right, you can over drink. Youll get sick, loose strength, throw up. Never had it happen to me.
Sipping water as you go allows your body to slowly reabsorb the water, without upsetting the salt/sugar balance more then needed. Water sitting in your stomach is not much of a problem, unless you guzzle a few cups at a time.
A lot of the sport mixes do good - not the junk like Gatoraid, it helps but has waaaaay too much sugar in it. At the same rate those sport mixes dont give you superman abilities.

Its not like I am sayn your wrong for not using one, do what works for you.
I have just seen too many people that dont drink enough while doing sports because the water is not easily at hand and these systems help out.Sorry I wasn't implying that YOU were trying to sell anything.

I would like people to read the book though. It was a fun read.

Cuffs
09-03-2007, 17:52
Just posting this for your consideration on your bag... A couple of us saw off another hiker this past April 11th... On top of Springer it was 19* with a steady wind of about 15 knots. I think that comes out to about 5*. All I remember is that it was damn cold!

wrongway_08
09-03-2007, 18:02
No, my bad, I know what you were try'n to say that.

Appalachian Tater
09-04-2007, 13:44
You'll probably drink more water if you have a tube for water and thus be more likely to avoid dehydration. I started without a tube but got one at Neels Gap. It is also more convenient. At least you need some way to drink water without stopping or taking your pack off, like a soda bottle in a pocket you can reach.

20 feet of cord likely is not enough for bear bagging.

Underwear is a personal choice probably having to do more with how it affects chafing than anything else. The other reason to wear it is that it keeps your outer clothes from becoming soiled.

If you are prone to chafing or blisters, plan on prevention and treatment.

Ear plugs weigh almost nothing and will come in handy.

Fingernail clippers/tweezers.

Maps/guidebook.

A tent with mesh keeps out bugs including black flies, deer flies, mosquitoes, and ticks. It also keeps out dogs and at least slows down small critters.

As far as first aid, if you have body wipes (which I highly recommend), you can dump a little alcohol on them to make them more effective. If you have a cut or scratch, if it is small, soap and water is all you need, or you can use the body wipes to clean it. If you need sutures, you have duct tape for a temporary fix until you can get medical treatment. A little antibiotic ointment might come in handy as those little cuts and scratches might heal slower than normal.

Don't overdo the clothes. Read Sgt. Rock's article on clothing and think in terms of layers, and dealing with cold and wet. But, you absolutely need two sets of clothes so you can have something dry available when you get cold and wet and to wear while washing.

You can always send things home if you decide you don't need them, like a water filter. Cut your gear as much as is safe, but some things just boil down to personal choice. A camera? I didn't carry one. Several times someone who carried a camera told me I didn't need a filter. I was glad I carried it, and did not regret not carrying a camera. When you get to Neels Gap, they will have everything you need that you don't have.

Lay everything out and ask yourself what it is for, and if it is possible to do without or to use something else or replace it with something lighter.