PDA

View Full Version : Multi-tool: Which gizmos, and for what? Care?

Brrrb Oregon
08-13-2007, 18:43
I just read the "Pocket knife of Multi tool for hiking?" thread from Dec. 2006.

Recently, I thought "what on earth would I need a multi-tool for?" and then one of those little tiny screws in my glasses came loose and I had to borrow one from a friend in order to get the lens back in. OK, that's what I would need a teeny screwdriver for.

If you carry a multitool, what tools do you want on it? What tools from a multi-tool have you used or do you foresee using, and for what?

Also, my kids want one of these things. Gentlemen, at what age did you get your first multi-tool or pocketknife? I have no idea at what age boys get these things, nor what size/circumstance/tool collection is appropriate. I do have a horror story concerning on of my brothers and a hatchet he got for a birthday gift. My memories of the BB guns aren't the kind of thing that makes me want to run out and get those, either.

I got a little pearl-handled pocketknife as a girl, but I never learned to sharpen it...which is OK, I suppose, since I barely used it. This is something you guys do on the trail? In town? When you get home? Comment on blade care, please.

Skidsteer
08-13-2007, 18:54
If you carry a multitool, what tools do you want on it? What tools from a multi-tool have you used or do you foresee using, and for what?

A bottle opener and corkscrew ranks pretty high on my list.

Also, my kids want one of these things. Gentlemen, at what age did you get your first multi-tool or pocketknife? I have no idea at what age boys get these things, nor what size/circumstance/tool collection is appropriate. I do have a horror story concerning on of my brothers and a hatchet he got for a birthday gift. My memories of the BB guns aren't the kind of thing that makes me want to run out and get those, either.

First pocket knife at five, BB gun at eight(?), shotgun at eleven(?), rifle in my teens, multi-tool at about thirty-five.

Mags
08-13-2007, 18:56
My favorite multi-tool... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape)

:-)

I received my first pocketknife when I ~10 yrs old or so from Dad. It was his authentic US Army pocketknife that was similar to this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/US-ARMY-1977-CAMILLUS-POCKET-KNIFE-Wonderful-Condition_W0QQitemZ200139683749QQcmdZViewItem).

Though I learned little outdoor skills from boy scouts, one valuable class I did take from them was the Totin Chip one on the use, care and safety of a pocket knife. Almost 25 yrs later, I still remember the lessons from that class.

http://www.scoutingaround.com/boy_scouts/totinchip/index.php

bigcranky
08-13-2007, 19:02
My daughter was given a Leatherman Micra w/scissors when she was around 12 or 13. It's a useful little multitool, and she carries it when hiking.

I carry the smallest Swiss Army Knife when hiking. Tiny screwdriver, file, knife blade, tweezers, toothpick. Though sometimes the bottle opener might come in handy <g>.

SoonerTex
08-13-2007, 19:32
I carry an old leatherman all the time. I am in construction so I use the screwdrivers and pliers most. saves a trip to the truck. When I hike and camp I use the knife and pliers most. Make sure whatever you get, that the blades lock. mine doesn't and I am forever closing tools up on my fingers. My son was about 6 or 7 when he got his 1st knife and he now has a whole collection. SoonerTex

hopefulhiker
08-13-2007, 20:14
A lot of people carried those micro leathermans.. I carried the little tiny swiss army knife with the sissors, light and pen.. but I was watching weight...

shelterbuilder
08-13-2007, 20:46
Recently, I thought "what on earth would I need a multi-tool for?" and then one of those little tiny screws in my glasses came loose and I had to borrow one from a friend in order to get the lens back in. OK, that's what I would need a teeny screwdriver for.
I got a little pearl-handled pocketknife as a girl, but I never learned to sharpen it...which is OK, I suppose, since I barely used it. This is something you guys do on the trail? In town? When you get home? Comment on blade care, please.

My "Uncle" gave me my first pocketknife when I was ten. (Similar to a Boy Scout knife, with a blade, can opener, bottle opener/screwdriver, and leather punch.) I lost it within 4 months! Dad bought me another one, which I still have. It is not a "lockback", but for safety, the lockback is a good feature. (When opened, the back locks the blade in position; it can't close up on your fingers.)
Forget the hatchet - they're too lightweight to be useful.:( When you bring out the BB gun, bring in the dog. (PLEASE!):eek: I didn't get a multi-tool until I was almost fifty - now I never go anywhere without it! Pliers, knife, and screwdrivers (Phillips and slot).
Blades should be sharpened at home, with a good whetstone and lots of oil (to float the metal particles out of the stone surface). I was taught to hold the blade at 10 to 20 degrees to the stone (a really shallow angle) and to make circular motions up and down the length of the blade on the stone , first on one side, then on the other. If you have a two-sided stone, use the coarse side first (both sides of the blade) and then finish with the smooth side of the stone for a really sharp edge.
Whether it's a knife, an axe, or a chisel, keep the blade sharp all the time - a sharp blade will not have to be forced through what you're cutting, so you're less likely to cut yourself by accident. And it's less tiring to use a sharp tool because you're not forcing it!:D

halftime
08-13-2007, 22:16
My grandfather gave me my first knife at age 6. It was a cheap single blade that would not cut butter. But I loved it and I still grieve over loosing it.

Found this link that may interest some of you. Perfect for youngsters of this day and age.

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/Swiss_Army_s_beat_1GB_MP3_Player_p/sa53191.htm

taildragger
08-14-2007, 08:52
First knife at around 5, still have it to this day, dad had it dulled so I wouldn't be as likely to cut myself while learning how to use it. (to put this in perspective, I got an old bb gun the same year, and a rifle before 10, about the same time as I was learning to shoot a 410 shotgun)

First multi-tool, probably 11, about the time that they started to get real popular, and the market was ruled by leatherman.

I now have a Gerber Diesel (great tool), I don't carry it as often, people up here gimme strange looks for it, I generally carry a 2" crkt knife and I can do most jobs with it.

caro
08-14-2007, 17:21
I can't remember life without my swiss army knife. I use it all the time, opening wine bottles, sharpening pencils, cutting cheese and apples, and on and on and lots of times I have lent it out to people who don't seem the need to strive for autonomy and independence. To me it's like "have knife can do anything, without looking helpless". I gave my daughter her first knife when she turned 8. She lost that one so I got her a leatherman next. Which she keeps with her all the time. Big news!!! Since 9/11 tons of those mini micro leatherman multitools are confiscated at the airport and sold for pennies at state government auctions of confiscated and out grown stuff. I am into collecting these tiny multitools, they are all so different!

Smudge
08-14-2007, 17:36
First pocket knife at five, BB gun at eight(?), shotgun at eleven(?), rifle in my teens, multi-tool at about thirty-five.

Yeah, it went something like that I think I was 25 for the multi -tool though...

Common and phillips screw drivers, needle nose pliers with wire cutters, awl, bottle opener and decent half serated half not drop point blade. I reccomend Gerber personally.

Skidsteer
08-14-2007, 17:46
Yeah, it went something like that I think I was 25 for the multi -tool though...

Common and phillips screw drivers, needle nose pliers with wire cutters, awl, bottle opener and decent half serated half not drop point blade. I reccomend Gerber personally.

Gerber is what I use at work. Everything locks nice and tight.

SteveJ
08-14-2007, 17:54
I can't remember when I was given my first pocket knife. I grew up in a small town in the rural south, and my dad was an old farm boy who had moved to the city. I just remember always having a pocket knife. It's just something everyone had.... As an adult I've always had one, too, and carried one. Got out of the habit after 9/11... Knew when I went to my first Braves game later in September, and I had to take my pocket knife back to the truck that the world had changed....

that said, it is a different world. I've given my 3 boys this knife when they were in the 3rd grade, a Bear Cub Scout, and could earn their whittlin' chip:

http://www.gerbergear.com/product.php?model=6009

cheap (~$11 the last time I bought one), small, light, with a quality blade that holds an edge. As a matter of fact, I had one of these knives at that Braves game...it's small enough that I had attached it to my key ring, and it went everywhere with me....I lost it pretty soon after because it didn't belong in my pocket anymore (I was also flying a good bit then), and I wasn't able to keep up with it....

Peaks
08-14-2007, 18:13
For backpacking, you really don't need much: A small knife, small scissors to cut moleskin and bandages, trim nails, or open packages. Leatherman Micro is great.

For the rest of my life, I usually have a full size leatherman handy.

The Weasel
08-14-2007, 18:59

Pliers (with needle point) but not the tiny kind on Swiss knives, e.g Gerber/Leatherman, Phillips head, file, scissors, very small flathead screwdriver, medium flathead. [/quote]

My son and my daughter got their first pocket knives when they were 11 and old enough to demonstrate how to properly use, sharpen (blades) and pass (from one person to another) a knife. Those are essential skills. By the way...note that girls use knives too. And not just in the kitchen...they use them in the wilderness, in operating rooms and a lot of other places, isn't that right, Mrs. Bobbitt?

There is a good saying: The only dangerous knife is a dull one. That's because people assume it is safe. It's also useless, except as a letter opener. If you get someone a knife, get them a good sharpening stone and help them learn how to use it. If you don't know, call your local Boy Scout troop and ask for a demo. They will do it gladly.

weary
08-14-2007, 21:40
For backpacking, you really don't need much: A small knife, small scissors to cut moleskin and bandages, trim nails, or open packages. Leatherman Micro is great.

For the rest of my life, I usually have a full size leatherman handy.
Any Sharp jack knife will do all these chores. Well, possibly not toe nails. For those most any $2 toenail cutter will work.

Weary

Mags
08-15-2007, 10:31
If you don't know, call your local Boy Scout troop and ask for a demo. They will do it gladly.

That's the Totin' Chip program mentioned earlier. I strongly suggest it for any children who are learning to use a knife. I honestly think it was most useful part of Cub/Boy scouts for me. (My pack, and later troop, were not the most active outdoor organizations!)

Worth the day or two of instruction IMO.

Time To Fly 97
08-15-2007, 14:13
My daughter was given a Leatherman Micra w/scissors when she was around 12 or 13. It's a useful little multitool, and she carries it when hiking.

I carry the smallest Swiss Army Knife when hiking. Tiny screwdriver, file, knife blade, tweezers, toothpick. Though sometimes the bottle opener might come in handy <g>.

Use the lighter trick to open a bottle - no need for a bottle opener. Victorianox - all you ever need.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/702498/how_to_open_a_beer_with_lighter/

Happy hiking!

TTF

Old Grouse
08-15-2007, 14:26
First folding knife around 6, first sheath knife at 9, first .22 at age 11. I carry a Swiss Army Classic always, and on weekends a SA Tinker, which goes in my pack if I'm hiking.

My daughter got a Leatherman for her 16th birthday. On prom night she carried one of those little ladies' clutch bags. She put her Leatherman in it 'cuz she couldn't think of anything better. Gotta love that kid! She later found the Leatherman helpful in college dorm living.

oldfivetango
08-15-2007, 19:15
Hehe,I'm so old that every kid in my grammar school
class had a pocket knife at school and nobody got cut,
either.Ditto highschool and most of the vehicles had
gunracks in case you wanted to go huntin' after school.
Got first rifle at age 12 and could throw up a soda can
and shoot it in midair.A pocket knife and a toe nail clipper
just about cover my basic needs now.
Oldfivetango

LIhikers
08-21-2007, 08:33
I've often thought about what I'd design into my perfect multitool for hiking and here it is.... a large nail clippers with a fold out , 3 inch, knife blade that is sharp enough to slice a ripe tomato. It would also have a fold out bottle/can opener. Plus it would have a good sized sewing needle, that would be used with dental floss, for making repairs. That's it.