PDA

View Full Version : Are you going on a trip soon?

firemountain
08-13-2007, 22:31
Just wondering what everybody is excited for. I'm leaving oct 8 for second thru. The anticipation is part of the fun for me. Gathering all my gear and food has taken over much of my free time. I'm hoping to complete my hike in Feb, this will give me around 120 to be outside! Doing nothing but eating, sleeping, walking, and thinking. I can't wait to be on the AT again!

I enjoy the mountains the most, Maine and New Hampshire are beautful. I also like the Smokeys as well. Oh yeah, and pretty much all the rest of the trail is awesome too.

Early Bird

thestin
08-13-2007, 22:44
Are you starting a thru-hike on October 8th? Are you starting from Maine? That should be an interesting trip.

Tennessee Viking
08-13-2007, 22:53
Once it cools down here in Tennessee, I am planning an overnight section hike from Dennis Cove to 19E with a stay at Mountaineer.

Skidsteer
08-13-2007, 23:03
I was thinking about hiking 30 miles in a day and a half followed by a party (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25982&highlight=trout).

After reading firemountain's ambitious plans, I think I'll just skip straight to the party. :D

Ramble~On
08-14-2007, 06:57
:-? October 8th...that could be interesting. I wouldn't want to have to carry that much winter gear for that long.
What's your pack weight ?
Also...let me know when you hit TN/NC I'll bring you some goodies.

Crazy Legs
08-14-2007, 10:12
I'm planning an October hike from Duncannon to Harpers Ferry. Should be awesome foliage, and and a great hike! I the wilderness during the autumn season!

Midway Sam
08-14-2007, 10:17
September 20th, Dick's Creek Gap to Wayah Gap and then shuttling up to Wesser so I can walk Wesser to Newfound Gap. (I have already walked Wayah Gap to Wesser)

I'd go today if my wife and employer would allow it.

firemountain
08-14-2007, 14:19
spiritwind - Yes the hike should be very interesting :)
My pack should weigh well under 10lbs (without food and water). With plenty of gear to be warm and safe.

Cuffs
08-14-2007, 14:30
Oct 14-20 section hike of BMT thru GSMNP with GeneRoll and others!

Ramble~On
08-14-2007, 17:04
10 pounds :eek: !!!!!

You've done your homework !
I doubt I could get a winter pack that low.

7Sisters
08-15-2007, 05:46
The second full week of Oct I have tent plans to finish the LT. Will prob start Oct 3 from Maine Junction, head north and finish Oct 11th. Fallback w/b to finish Oct 12th. However, I have to leave enough time to drive back to Wilmington DE to be back at work on Monday Oct 13th.

Looking forward to getting back into the woods and getting away.

Had thought about many places to backpack in the US, but really want to stick "close" to home and have enough flexibility to be able to cancel / postpone without any financial penalties associated with flights. The reason for this is that we're expecting our second child. So far everything is good, but she had a difficult pregnancy last time, so need to make sure my plans are flexible.

Either way a season of change is upon me.

deadhorsejoe
08-15-2007, 07:22
My son and I are going to hike AT from Neels Gap back to Springer and down approach trail to SP in mid Oct. My pack weight will be signicantly more than 10 pounds.

brotheral
08-15-2007, 09:02
I'll be camping at Abrams Creek in the Smokies mid September. I'll take a dayhike from Newfound Gap to Charlie's Bunion (4 miles each way). Did it a few years back. Some beautiful scenery... I'm going to Knoxville to visit family next week. Plan to drive over to GSMNP and locate the campground.. My nephew is getting married at Amelia Plantation, FL in October so I'll camp at Little Talbot Island and enjoy strolling along the miles of hard-packed sand there........

Skyline
08-15-2007, 09:33
spiritwind - Yes the hike should be very interesting :)
My pack should weigh well under 10lbs (without food and water). With plenty of gear to be warm and safe.

I'm envious. Also astounded.

Will you be solo, or will you be with one or more hikers and able to share weight?

Care to share a list of the 10 lbs. you're carrying that will keep you warm and safe?

firemountain
08-15-2007, 10:04
skyline- I will be solo and carrying my own supplies
I will be sharing a complete gear list with everybody here at WB but that will be a seperate thread. My pack will inlcude gear from Mountain Laurel Designs, Cocoon, Bozeman Mountain Works, Gossamer Gear, Western Mountaineering, and others like that. Not to much mainstream stuff.
Look for my gear list thread in the next week or two.

horicon
08-15-2007, 14:32
Planning o Hiking in NJ on the AT from the week of Aug 25 to Aug 31. Planning on taking it easy.

Fat Man Walking
08-15-2007, 16:30
Yeee Haaaaaa!!!!!

I have been planning and excercising and gathering and sorting and making a list and checking it twice for a year now. Time to GET IT ON!!!!!!

Can't wait to breath mountain air and drink mountain water.....

:banana :banana :banana :banana

Scrollner
08-15-2007, 22:18
I'm going to do a section in October, I just haven't decided where yet.

Pennsylvania Rose
08-16-2007, 08:50
First week of October - we're either going to hike a section of the AT (somewhere in the south) or go out west to visit my brother and do some backpacking in the Rockies. Never hiked in the Rockies, so I hope he can have us visit.

Ewker
08-16-2007, 09:34
Just got back from a week long trip in Canada (the cool weather was nice). Doing a short trip on the AT over Labor Day.

burger
08-16-2007, 09:39
After 370 or so zero days, I'm heading north from Franconia Notch for 3 weeks starting August 26th.

Jim Adams
08-16-2007, 10:32
Heading into the Canadian bush for a 2 week canoe trip the second week of September. It should be a real b***H, my pack weighs 82 lbs! OOPS! almost forgot, that will be in the canoe, not on my back. Oh well, martinis at supper and eggs, bacon and blueberry hotcakes for breakfast. Sorry, I just had to rub it in alittle. I love backpacking, but you really need to try a good canoe trip at least once.

geek

Ewker
08-16-2007, 11:46
Heading into the Canadian bush for a 2 week canoe trip the second week of September. It should be a real b***H, my pack weighs 82 lbs! OOPS! almost forgot, that will be in the canoe, not on my back. Oh well, martinis at supper and eggs, bacon and blueberry hotcakes for breakfast. Sorry, I just had to rub it in alittle. I love backpacking, but you really need to try a good canoe trip at least once.

geek

pack weight is only 82 lbs..you must not be any cast iron dutch ovens ;)

Pennsylvania Rose
08-17-2007, 08:53
Oh well, martinis at supper and eggs, bacon and blueberry hotcakes for breakfast. geek

I'm jealous!