PDA

View Full Version : Carter Notch Hut, NH

earlyriser26
08-14-2007, 10:30
Are there camping areas near this hut?

firemountain
08-14-2007, 11:21
Not that I am aware of. The terrain is very rough in that area. The hut was $25 last fall when I passed through. Stealth camping may be possible but a good site will be diffacult to find.

Gray Blazer
08-14-2007, 11:26
Lots of camping near Eisenhower Falls on the Dry River Trail.

The Old Fhart
08-14-2007, 12:21
Gray Blazer-"Lots of camping near Eisenhower Falls on the Dry River Trail."That's about 25 trail miles from Carter Notch.

Gray Blazer
08-14-2007, 12:51
That's about 25 trail miles from Carter Notch.

Whoops, maybe this guy is one he!! of a hiker. I was thinking of Crawford Notch. My experience in the whites is very limited. My son and I hiked up Mount Washington from Dry River campground. Beautiful! My Dad, my son and I (all Willeys....related to the Willeys formerly of Crawford Notch) all hiked to the top of Mt Willey. It was a big deal in Conway, anyway. Three Willeys on Mt Willey.

weary
08-14-2007, 13:46
Are there camping areas near this hut? (Carter Notch)
National Forect rules forbid camping within a quarter mile of the hut, which returned to full service status this year, which means it costs far more than $25 now. However, you get more also -- like two meals.

The nearest designated camping spots on the AT north is the Imp shelter, about eight miles from Carter Notch Hut if I remember rightly. But people have camped on the ridge a quarter mile from the shelter near the intersection of the AT and the 19-mile Brook Trail.

sixhusbands
08-14-2007, 13:50
No officail sites at Carter Notch Hut.
There are some sites at Zeta Pass and a few sites near the junction of 19 Mile brook and Wildcat trails. There is a great site a few miles down the 19 mile brook trail near a dam. Great swimming hole!

The Old Fhart
08-14-2007, 15:51
SixHusbands-"There are some sites at Zeta Pass and a few sites near the junction of 19 Mile brook and Wildcat trails." No camping is allowed within 1/4 mile of Zeta Pass.

pipesmoke
08-14-2007, 16:32
There are campsites at the trail tee of 19 mile brook which are used regularly.

Peaks
08-14-2007, 18:24
Like around most shelters and huts, there is usually a few bootleg places to set up a tent just outside the 1/4 mile limit. You just need to look for them. This includes at Carter Notch Hut.

gravityman
08-14-2007, 18:56
No officail sites at Carter Notch Hut.
There are some sites at Zeta Pass and a few sites near the junction of 19 Mile brook and Wildcat trails. There is a great site a few miles down the 19 mile brook trail near a dam. Great swimming hole!

We camped at Zeta pass in 2005. Data book claimed water. I found some, but only because it had rained recently. Doubt that it was a steady spring. No camping sign was posted, but it was late and data book said it was okay. No way we were moving on! I think sleeping on top of Zeta would be awesome in good weather and you could find a place that was durable to set up on.

Gravity

The Old Fhart
08-14-2007, 19:31
Gravityman-"I think sleeping on top of Zeta would be awesome in good weather and you could find a place that was durable to set up on."I believe you mean Mt. Hight, not Zeta Pass. Zeta Pass is down low in the woods and has no views, Mt. Hight, about 0.6 miles south, is one of my favorite spots with 360° views and is a great place for sunsets or sunrises. The cover photo on the 2003 ALDHA/ATC Companion that I took was from the summit of Mt. Hight.

7Sisters
08-14-2007, 20:57
Like around most shelters and huts, there is usually a few bootleg places to set up a tent just outside the 1/4 mile limit. You just need to look for them. This includes at Carter Notch Hut.

I would strongly suggest you not follow any advice that suggests it's ok in any season except winter with significant snow on the ground, to stealth camping in the whites above treeline in the fragile alpine zones. The plant life there is extremely sensative and can be destroyed if you walk on it or camp on it.

Below treeline, you also have to be careful of the regulations. I know there is a steep fine for stealth camping anywhere off of the Tuckermans Ravine trail.

So back to your question about camping near Carter Notch Hut.

On the AT:
Imp Campsite (~ 7 miles north)
Pinkham Notch (~ 5 miles south but not tenting)

Off the AT:
Perkins Notch Shelter (~ 4 miles South East of hut off of Wild River Trail)
Spruce Brook Campsite (~ 2 miles North of Perkins Notch Shelter on the Wild River Trail)

weary
08-14-2007, 21:09
I would strongly suggest you not follow any advice that suggests it's ok in any season except winter with significant snow on the ground, to stealth camping in the whites above treeline in the fragile alpine zones. The plant life there is extremely sensative and can be destroyed if you walk on it or camp on it.

Below treeline, you also have to be careful of the regulations. I know there is a steep fine for stealth camping anywhere off of the Tuckermans Ravine trail.

On the AT:

Off the AT:
Spruce Brook Campsite (~ 2 miles North of Perkins Notch Shelter on the Wild River Trail)

all true. But there is nothing "above treeline" around the intersection of the AT and the 19-mile brook trail. Camp wherever you can find an appealing spot -- if any.

7Sisters
08-14-2007, 21:18
Weary,

I'm well aware of that, I was responding to Peaks posting suggesting it's ok to bootleg around most shelters.

If someone is asking the question about camping around any of the huts, they should be reminded about the fragile alpine zone and not to camp there. Peaks's post doesn't address this very important aspect of backpacking in the Whites and it can be inferred by his post that it's Ok to camp in that area.

KG4FAM
08-14-2007, 21:19
When I was walking south through that area I talked with the caretaker at Imp about where to sleep that night. He said not to camp at Zeta Pass because the forest rangers came through there. Sure enough as I was coming out of Zeta Pass at about 7 PM that evening the ranger was coming to check on Zeta Pass. I went on and waited for the hut to clear out and spread out on the table inside.

Peaks
08-15-2007, 07:58

On the AT:

Off the AT:

Very true about following USFS regulations, like no camping above treeline (alpine zone), and no camping in Cutler River Drainage (Tuckerman and Huntington Ravines).

But, specifically around Carter Notch Hut, which is way below tree line, I've seen bootleg tentsites near where the Wildcat Ridge Trail intersects the Nineteen Mile Brook Trail, and along the Wildcat River Trail just beyond the 1/4 mile sign.

Likewise, I've seen similiar places around Zealand Falls Hut, and Galehead Hut. But, because Lakes and Madison are above treeline, you need to go much further down before finding bootleg campsites.

Pokey2006
08-16-2007, 04:01
Just FYI, Carter Notch Hut is now full-service for most of the hiking season, BUT, it goes self-serve on Sept. 15.

7Sisters
08-16-2007, 05:56
Has anyone stayed at Carter Notch Hut over the winter?

Curious about their experience. I was going to do a winter trip from Pinkham to Gorham over two nights (via the AT). I turned back halfway to Carter Notch as I was solo and very nervous about an impending storm. I since wound up doing it as a day hike in July.

For my Dec trip crampons and snow shoes were a must (as well as an ice axe). There are some areas of ascent and descent to Carter Notch where a fall will be very bad.

Old Hillwalker
08-16-2007, 06:40
Four of us spent two nights at Carter Notch Hut one February. Be prepared for cold sleeping. The two bunkhouses are not heated, and the main hut is only heated for dinner and breakfast. It was cozy that evening, but once returning to the bunkhouses the cold struck with a vengeance. Bring a bag rated zero or below, and even then prepare to sleep fitfully.

rickb
08-16-2007, 06:45
In the winter most people hike in via the 19-Mile Brook Trail, which is very easy (flat). It may be so packed that even with heavy snow, you might end up leaving your snowshoes strapped to your pack. You would want to have them, however.

You sleep in one of several unheated bunk houses out back. Water is from the pond, where the caretaker maintains a hole in the ice. Wood stove in the hut will be going some of the time. You share the kitchen, and may be given a time slot to use it since the facility can be crowded on weekends, even in the winter.

For hikes ups to ridge or CArter Dome crampons, or instp crampons would be a good idea.

You can reserve a spot with the AMC well in advance, and get trail condition reports at www.viewsfromthetop.com

It was -18 * the last time I was there. Never went back!

Peaks
08-16-2007, 08:00

Curious about their experience. I was going to do a winter trip from Pinkham to Gorham over two nights (via the AT). I turned back halfway to Carter Notch as I was solo and very nervous about an impending storm. I since wound up doing it as a day hike in July.

For my Dec trip crampons and snow shoes were a must (as well as an ice axe). There are some areas of ascent and descent to Carter Notch where a fall will be very bad.

We enjoyed a great but cold night there in February a couple of years ago. Full moon, star lite sky. Tired to back Wildcat and Carter, but the snow was too deep and the trail was not broken out.

7Sisters
08-16-2007, 20:17
I've been in the Whites several times in the dead of winter. The coldest experience was hiking up Madison in -26 temp (without wind chill). It really wasn't bad climbing. However once I got above tree line and hit the hut area, it got real cold real real real quick. I had all the proper gear, but my goggles fogged and froze. It was pretty crazy. I went partway up beyond Madison, but didn't venture more than halfway up as I was alone, getting cold and nervous.

It took be halfway back down until I warmed up.

weary
08-16-2007, 23:01
I stayed there annually for 20 or more years. I used the hut as a "cool down" hike in preparation for winter backpacking.

It's an absolutely delightful place to spend a New Year's eve or a winter weekend.

The hut is a relatively easy 4 mile hike in on the 19-mile brook trail -- a much more difficult hike up from Pinkham Notch. I recommend starting by hiking along the brook.

Weary

Jack Tarlin
08-16-2007, 23:23
Weary is correct, this is a great place to visit, especially in wintertime.

People should be aware, tho, that the AMC has changed Carter over to "Full Service" status between 1 June and September 15, and hikers wishing to have an "absolutely delightful stay" at Carter during these months will pay at least $79.00 for the privilege, and more on the weekends.

Yet another reason to visit here in wintertime.

dmb658
08-30-2007, 14:29
i usually go on a trip where the first night i stay at the imp shelter near mt. moriah and the second night i stay at a clearing by the juntion where the wildcat trail begins and i havent had any problems staying there