PDA

View Full Version : Where to get off the trail in Maine?

burger
08-14-2007, 11:14
I'm heading north from Franconia Notch for 3 weeks starting near the end of August. I don't have a defined ending point, but I'm assuming I can make it well into Maine, probably to Stratton or so. My question is: what would be a good ending point in Maine where I would have an easy hitch or shuttle ride to someplace where I can pick up a bus (like maybe Waterville)? I'm willing to shorten the hike a bit if it will mean avoiding an overly complicated or long trip back to civilization. Thanks for any input...

earlyriser26
08-14-2007, 13:01
Stratton should be fairly good for a hitch, but don't go on to Caratunk (US 201). I spent 5 hours before I got a ride on that road. Also, ME 4 near Rangeley was an easy hitch.

7Sisters
08-14-2007, 21:08
Stratton, Caratunk, Monson, they will all be places where you can get a hitch or a shuttle ride. I had no problem getting a hitch at Caratunk, but Earlyriser26 did.

As far as how far you'll be able to get, that will be entirely up to you and the condition you are in when you hit the trail as well as your experience level.

If you are willing to do some advance planning and be flexible you can just keep walking until the day before you need to start heading back. Unless you're in the 100 mile "wilderness" you will come across roads everyday. I would suggest you carry a list of shuttle drivers, and a Maine road map. Call a shuttle driver before you leave and arrange for a flexible shuttle pick up. Basically commit on the day and a range of area to see if they are OK with that. Once you get off the trail, hitch a ride to the next biggest town and call the shuttle ride for a pick up.

It has worked for me in the past down south and should be fine for you.

Enjoy the three weeks.

weary
08-14-2007, 21:14
I'm heading north from Franconia Notch for 3 weeks starting near the end of August. I don't have a defined ending point, but I'm assuming I can make it well into Maine, probably to Stratton or so. My question is: what would be a good ending point in Maine where I would have an easy hitch or shuttle ride to someplace where I can pick up a bus (like maybe Waterville)? I'm willing to shorten the hike a bit if it will mean avoiding an overly complicated or long trip back to civilization. Thanks for any input...
Well if you get anywhere near Andover, call the Cabin. Tell'em Weary sent you, and he says to take you whereever you want to go.