PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Trail Museum

beeman
08-15-2007, 10:17
Instead of criticizing the folks at the A.T. Museum for not having an actual address, I think it'd be more productive to volunteer one's time (and money) to help get the Museum going.

Other than a few spectaular items such as Earl Shaffer's personal gear and clothes (which it already has), I'm not sure the Smithsonian is the best place for A.T. stuff. Very few of the items given to them would ever be on display; they'd be stored and archived in a basement somewhere.

I think it's great that there's going to be an entire museum devoted to the Appalachian Trail, and I think THIS is where Trail items, memorabilia, etc. should go.

And the museum would become a reality a lot quicker if folks stepped up and actually helped with he museum project rather than dismissing them out-of-hand because they haven't actually opened yet.

(In point of fact, several remarkable items are indeed on display at a "bricks and mortar" address.....such things as Myron Avery's measuring wheel and Benton MacKaye's typewriter can be seen in the ATC Visitor Center in Harpers Ferry. If these excellently crafted displays represent the type of work that the AT Museum folks are capable of doing, then this bodes very well for the Museum when it becomes a reality.....which I hope is soon).
I would hope it would come into reality soon also. Since I'm a volunteer fireman and emt in my community, with a family, and a business it is difficult to squeeze out additional time to donate. I do sincerely believe in showing my support with my wallet. If I see something I feel I should support, the first thing I do is join. Which is why I joined and donated BOTH. I also have a few trail related things I want to donate to the museum. Unfortunately, when I followed the menu and links on the museum's website for donations, it led me to a mailbox that was full and would not accept my e-mail. Hopefuly in the near future more people with fire in their bellies for the museum and a get it done focus like Myron Avery and Benton McKye will move the concept beyond a borrowed display area into actual reality. Like you, I encourage people to get involved in making it happen any way they can. Until then I guess I will refrain from sending items to the Smithsonian, and wait a while longer for the Appalachian Trail Museum to have a real home.

7Sisters
08-23-2007, 02:04
Wow - this is a lonely thread Beeman.

I'm not really certain what the AT museum is supposed to be, where it's supposed to be and what it's mission is.

What do you know about it?

TJ aka Teej
08-23-2007, 07:28
http://www.aldha.org/atmuseum.htm

firemountain
08-23-2007, 09:12
There is a good podcast interview regarding the AT museum on the trailcast.com site. It is podcast number 6.

beeman
08-26-2007, 19:07
Wow - this is a lonely thread Beeman.

I'm not really certain what the AT museum is supposed to be, where it's supposed to be and what it's mission is.

What do you know about it?

Well the portal to their website says it all:
The Museum is dedicated to the Appalachian Trail and the people who built, support and enjoy the Trail. The mission includes preserving items of historical importance, education and inspiration, and honoring those significant figures in the Trail community. Collections should include artifacts, memorabilia, gear, documents and other media related to the Trail and the people involved with it since its inception. It should also document the environment of the Trail corridor. The Museum should reflect the spirit of the Trail and the importance it has to the lives of so many people.

and I notice navigating around their website that there is some stuff happening...

Appalachian Tater
08-26-2007, 23:08
www.atmuseum.org (http://www.atmuseum.org)

Now it has its own website.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-27-2007, 06:07
If I can get some help with collecting the specimen, I will donate LW's beard :D

Seriously, this is worthy project and I'm glad to see it is getting more attention.

Krewzer
08-27-2007, 09:43
If I can get some help with collecting the specimen, I will donate LW's beard :D

Seriously, this is worthy project and I'm glad to see it is getting more attention.

LOL. A historical display of famous hair and lack there of; heads, upper lips, chins, backs and butts. A class act for sure, especially the "singed during stove ignition" display.

I haven't checked the schedule of events at this year's Gathering, but I expect there will be a meeting of the Museum board (there was in 2006). I encourage any who are interested in the AT Museum to attend.

Tim Rich
08-27-2007, 10:06
Perhaps an altruistic soul can rescue some of the artifacts from The Center...

beeman
08-28-2007, 06:16
Perhaps an altruistic soul can rescue some of the artifacts from The Center...
Yeah, people may have already started doing that, waiting for the museum to actually have their own location before donating.