PDA

View Full Version : What about MEN?

BumpJumper
08-15-2007, 13:03
Ok, are any of you women ever curious about the men you meet on the trail? I mean, are they ax murderers or just nice hikers?
That is question number one.

For question number two.
I for one, am a divorced middle aged woman. I dont mind meet a man that has the same interests as myself.
So...how many times has a gal met a man on the trail, or even in hiking groups that turned into something?
Just curious..

ASKING FOR A FRIEND!:D

JAK
08-15-2007, 13:15
I'm a reasonably happily married guy, but I often wonder where the best place would be to meet someone if I was looking, or if a friend asked. Grocery stores they say. I've always found libraries to be seductive, but as I've grown older I've wondered if I was just being creepy. Maybe they actually wear those glasses because they need them for reading or something. I don't know.

You pay your money and you take your chance
When you're dealing with love and romance

Godspeed

Pennsylvania Rose
08-15-2007, 13:23
1) My curiosity is platonic since I'm happily married. Most guys are just nice hikers, and I've never met an ax murderer while hiking - an ax is just too heavy to carry.

2) I married a guy I met on the AT. A friend of mine has kids with a guy she met. Unfortunately neither relationship lasted 'til death do us part.

I don't think the trail is a single's bar, though. Many hikers are too dirty, tired, and committed their trip to hook up.

"ASKING FOR A FRIEND!" ha ha

The Weasel
08-15-2007, 13:26
(Wishing this were in another forum...say, "Straight Forward"...so that I could comment. Ah, well.)

The Weasel

Wonder
08-15-2007, 13:33
I don't think that I've dated a non-hiker in over a year........seems to be the only guys I can find with a similar mindset

Jim Adams
08-15-2007, 14:00
In 1990 I had met a thru hiking woman on the trail in N.H. during my thru hike and we hiked the remainder of N.H. and all of Maine together. We were together every day for 5 or 6 weeks and the feelings grew very strong and I do believe that I had fallen in love with her. She questioned as to whether we could return to the "real world" together and live together until December and at that time get married. I whole heartedly agreed! We climbed Katahdin together summited and then down climbed to her awaiting ride. I caught a ride back to Shaw's for the night. The next day we had talked by phone and I was missing her terribly but I had to travel to Bar Harbor to get my bicycle and continue my trip to completion back in Pennsylvania. We talked everyday and could not wait to see each other. I successfully completed my trip and returned home and lived with my parents for a month while awaiting our return get together. We continued to talk everyday and the strong emotional feelings never wavered.
I had been gone for 13 months on this trip and had missed my children terribly. My hiking mate was looking forward to meeting them and possibly having them live with us for awhile however my ex-wife refused to let the children have anything to do with this new woman. We continued to talk on the phone every day until she was ready to move back to her employment that she had taken a leave from and I was to join her. This was now the first week of December and we both had a very tear filled phone conversation about me not being able or ready to leave my children again after such a short visit with them. I wasn't ready to move to New England yet. Her father had to make the same decision earlier in her life as to being with his children or his new partner and he had chosen the partner. This just made the whole emotional end of it even worse.
We hung up the phone, in love and crying. It was the last time that we had talked and I haven't seen her since Katahdin.
I think of her almost every day and still miss her. I hope that her life has been good. I will never know.
Did I make the wrong decision? NO! I love my children, have had a great life with them and have never regretted that decision. I am still single looking for that perfect outdoor woman and still miss her.
You may meet the person of your dreams while out there but before it gets too "perfect" make sure that your life after the trail will have a chance.

Just thought your friend might want to know!

geek

Toolshed
08-15-2007, 14:21
Ok, are any of you women ever curious about the men you meet on the trail? I mean, are they ax murderers or just nice hikers? ...
Nice Guys or Axe murderers. No Middle Ground???? :-?
Looking to meet a man? - There's also a nice thread on PinkBlazing :rolleyes:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-15-2007, 16:14
Question 1 - 99% of the fellows you meet on the trail are nice fellows.

Question 2 - Several couples have hooked up on the trail, though most I know were youngsters (meaning under 30 to dinos :D).

Dr O
08-15-2007, 16:50
I'm single, ladies! :p

Xena
08-15-2007, 17:33
I always said the guy who fell in love with me would fall in love with me wearing sweats and my hair in a ponytail.

That said, the hairy guy I picked up at the airport to take to Springer was my hiking partner for the first two weeks. We hiked for two weeks, kept hiking, got married, bought a house, and have just had our first child! Another couple did that the year we did.

That said, I wouldn't go out hiking to look for a husband--the trail is a completely different place than the real world!

BumpJumper
08-15-2007, 18:54
Very nice answers and remarks. I will be sure to pass them all along to my FRIEND...

I am not hiking to MEET men. I was just curious and it does sound to me that it is possible.
I love to kayak, camp and fish as well but I am not lurking at the campgrounds or rubbing dead fish on me to "attract" the opposite sex...:jump but trust me. The grocery store is NOT the place and neither is the boring library. I only go to those places to get what I need and get the heck out.
I kinda thought about staying inline with my likes and dislikes in regards to my outdoorsy side. That is a must. I will have to pass that on to my "friend" as well.
Where do I find those other forums you speak of so I can direct my "friend"?:-?

Mags
08-15-2007, 18:57
With the exception of the last woman I dated (who loved hiking and camping), all my relationships have come about from meeting them on a hike, ski, snowshoe etc.

Just do what you love...the rest happens naturally.

Skidsteer
08-15-2007, 19:04
Very nice answers and remarks. I will be sure to pass them all along to my FRIEND...

Where do I find those other forums you speak of so I can direct my "friend"?:-?

Use the search button at the top of the page and don't say I didn't warn you if you look up pink blazing.

pedal
08-15-2007, 19:05
I had been gone for 13 months on this trip and had missed my children terribly. .......... Her father had to make the same decision earlier in her life as to being with his children or his new partner and he had chosen the partner. This just made the whole emotional end of it even worse...........
Did I make the wrong decision? NO! I love my children, have had a great life with them and have never regretted that decision. I am still single looking for that perfect outdoor woman and still miss her.
You may meet the person of your dreams while out there but before it gets too "perfect" make sure that your life after the trail will have a chance.

Just thought your friend might want to know!

geek

Jim, I believe you made the right decision when you chose your children. Cherish those moments with them. They take those memories with them forever! Other folks in your life come and go.

Pedal

BumpJumper
08-15-2007, 19:11
Skids,
It took me to some kind of body jewelry stuff.:rolleyes:

Jim Adams
08-15-2007, 19:12
Pedal,
Thanks for the support. A fellow thru hiker had sent me a message today entitled "memories" and I have been thinking ever since. Don't get me wrong, it has been a GREAT day and I enjoyed the memories immensely. The Weasel, via pm, has urged me to contact her... I'm not sure...I did find her business phone number today! Will let you know.
Thanks again,

geek

PS. Pa.Rose....thank you for the good memories!

Pennsylvania Rose
08-15-2007, 19:16
geek,

What a heart-wrenching story. Says a lot about you that you don't regret doing the right thing, as painful as it must have been.

rosie

p.s. Get in touch with her :)

Skidsteer
08-15-2007, 19:21
Skids,
It took me to some kind of body jewelry stuff.:rolleyes:

Not the Google toolbar search. :p

Try the WB search button located below and slightly left of the 'Links' button

StarLyte
08-15-2007, 19:32
I never met love in any form while hiking on the Trail, my mind too deep into my experience(s), yet love will knock at your door unexpectedly, as in Geek's bittersweet story.

Geek, that touched my heart and thank you for sharing it.

I bet you've written a poem or two after that.

I hear so many lovely and romantic stories about the Trail...

Skidsteer
08-15-2007, 19:33
Here's some hits from the phrase "romance on the trail"

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18280&highlight=romance+trail

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17689&highlight=romance+trail

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13097&highlight=romance+trail

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4433&highlight=romance+trail

Toolshed
08-15-2007, 19:35
Can we just hug it out now?????

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-15-2007, 19:35
Not the Google toolbar search. :p

Try the WB search button located below and slightly left of the 'Links' buttonHere is a link to the Pink Blazing thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16948) - you've been warned

SGT Rock
08-15-2007, 19:41
I've never heard of a woman that wanted a man that was the Indoorsy type of guy.

smokymtnsteve
08-15-2007, 19:48
I've never heard of a woman that wanted a man that was the Indoorsy type of guy.

may B U should get out more?;)

BumpJumper
08-15-2007, 20:05
Ok I read it. Personally I think that gal has an issue or two. But, I would be careful none the less.
I would not hike alone anyway.
I did pass this info on to my "friend":D

Jimmers
08-15-2007, 20:26

Oh, they exist. You're just living in the wrong area to encounter many. Count your blessings.:D

ANHINGA
08-15-2007, 21:35
Hey BumpJumper, just hike with a bunch of "I Climbed Mt. Dora" bumper stickers and everyone will know you have a cool sense of humor, at least. Just try to keep a straight face when telling them what an arduous climb it is.

dperry
08-15-2007, 21:40
A friend of mine (who will be one of the groomsmen at my own wedding) met his wife in a hiking club. I don't think they hike much any more, though.

TJ aka Teej
08-15-2007, 21:44
Last weekend BackBend proposed to DirtyBlond on Baxter Peak as they ended their thru-hike, and she said 'yes'! :D

sarbar
08-16-2007, 00:06
I met my husband on a hike in Olympic NP. He had just moved out to Washington State a week before from Virgina. We had talked on a forum twice and via email once before we met in person...I never minded meeting up with people to hike with.
Was it love at first sight? No. He is a foot taller than me and outweighs me by 100 lbs. I felt dwarfed. I was single but I wasn't looking either.
We hiked together for a number of weeks before it turned romantic. We had a lot in common we found out....the long hikes gave us plenty of time to talk.
It was November 2002 we met, and we were married June of 2006.

In my hiking group out here there has been one more marriage (which was just this past weekend) and a number of relationships. For shy guys it works out well, as our hiking group has quite a few dominant ladies. If they can take the estergon fests that happen on group trips they can survive anything. It is ladies that hike because they want to, not because they are trying to impress the man in their life.

Geeks, nerds and tech industry guys love the group :p We love them :D

Mags
08-16-2007, 10:50
Geeks, nerds and tech industry guys love the group :p We love them :D

Funny. The outdoor group I belong to (also sounds about the same demographic as yours), has many geeks, nerds and IT guys. The women are predominatley in education. And, as with yours, many couples have formed.

I was in a wedding earlier this month for a couple that met while on a hike.

sarbar
08-16-2007, 11:08
Mags, I think there is a reason for that: most of the guys are somewhat reserved and might (cough) not have the best social skills. They are the guys that don't fit into bar scenes, etc.
They relax though while hiking and backpacking....and the ladies come along and grab them :D
Best is...if they are out hiking you know they like being healthy. You have time to watch how they act with others. Are they kind, helpful, wanting to learn? By day 3 it is hard to keep acts up...lol!

My husband is a full blown geek and I love him for that. He may spend too much on "toys" but then again.....I am not worrying about him being down at the bar with a bunch of hoochie mammas after work ;) And he supports my love of hiking. I think for ladies really into it, that is the hardest thing: finding a guy who gets why you have to be out there!

BumpJumper
08-16-2007, 11:11
Anhinga,
I have climbed Mt. Dora. We also have Sugarloaf Mountain here in Lake County. That is a big one for Florida..hehehehehehe

See, there are a lot of folks that meet and greet each other on hikes. I kayak and have been doing alot of kayaking with this one fellow. He always calls me to kayak but never nothing more. We talk sometimes for an hour. He asks me all about my likes and dislikes but never asks me out. What do yall think? Is he interested or what?
He has even gone so far as to show me pics of his twin granddaughters. We too have a lot in common.
He has two children ages 33 and 29. So do I.
His oldest sons name is Chris...so is mine
His only grand babies are girls and is 6 years old and twins, my only grand baby is a girl and 6 years old.
His birthday is on March 6...my moms is March 6th.
The first day I met him was at the Kayak shop and we just happen to take the same route home bumping into each other at the store as well that same day.
So....... tell me.

Cuffs
08-16-2007, 11:14
Who has the time for a "relationship?" I do want what Rock suggested "the indoorsy type." But I think Im looking for a "Will & Grace" setting tho!

I just want a man who can support me (yea, I said it!) I work, but I wan the extra moola for all my gear gadgets. Someone (the man) to clean the house. I can cook and I honestly do love doing the yard work. I have the best flower gardens in my neighborhood!

Is that too much to ask?

Cuffs
08-16-2007, 11:16
Bump!! What are you waiting for? This is the 21st century. Why do you have to wait for him to ask you out? Just say "hey, Im going to dinner at Dead River Vic's, would you like to join me?"

Of course he'll say yes!

Jim Adams
08-16-2007, 11:17
BumpJumper,
I think that he is interested but too shy to move further. Why don't you ask him? You will get your answer quickly!

geek

Mags
08-16-2007, 11:20
Mags, I think there is a reason for that: most of the guys are somewhat reserved and might (cough) not have the best social skills.

Well, on a slight spin on the gender stereotype: The female friend is a structural engineer, is very quite and needs down time after a big social situation. Her husband (and one of my closest friends) is an astronomer BUT, is very outgoing, social and charming. Ya never know.

Of course, in Boulder we sadly have the jocks-in-disguise as outdoors people. Many of my friends (men and women both) often think they found an outdoors person. Only to find out they just happen to really enjoy workouts that take place outdoors! But, that's another story.

But, getting back to the original topic: As Sabar and I are suggesting: If you want to find an outdoors person, join a local outdoors group. You will find peers who enjoy the outdoors. Get to know them in a relaxed environment and have fun doing something you enjoy.

I've made many awesome friendships because of the outdoor group (and had a two year relationship from someone I met through the group. We're still friends).

Just do what you enjoy is the lesson...

Mags
08-16-2007, 11:22
The first day I met him was at the Kayak shop and we just happen to take the same route home bumping into each other at the store as well that same day.
So....... tell me.

Ask him out!

You both kayak? Why not do a kayak trip for the day. Bring a picnic, talk, have fun. See what happens!

In 2007, I think it is perfectly acceptable (and awesome) if a woman asks out a guy. Many of us are clueless and need direct and not-so-subtle hints. :)

The Weasel
08-16-2007, 11:52

Steven Hawking's wife, Elaine, for one.

The Weasel

Toolshed
08-16-2007, 13:31
Anhinga,
....He always calls me to kayak but never nothing more. We talk sometimes for an hour. He asks me all about my likes and dislikes but never asks me out. What do yall think? Is he interested or what?
BJ,
Do you show an interest in that perhaps you like him and would be interested in the next step forward or do you try to stsay neutral as to not appear too guy craxzy? Is there some possibilty that you are giving him a signal knowingly or inadvertantly that you like him as a friend and that's it?
It could be as Geek states, he is shy but I find that doesn't seem to mesh with the hour long talks. He may just be waiting for a signal from you.
Next time you see him grab hius hand and give it a playful squeeze - pull his amr around you playfully and simply state - it has been a tough day and I need a hug from someone close. Let him take it from there and you'll know either way. (is that a paddle in your pocket or ....?)

So....... tell me.
Some say there are no coincidences.

Jim Adams
08-16-2007, 13:52
(is that a paddle in your pocket or ....)

:banana :banana :banana that is hilarious!!!!!
As a long time canoeist I should have known that line...I wont forget it now.

geek

Dancer
08-16-2007, 14:55
BumpJumper,

My line of thought on this is to live the best life possible and be happy. If there is a man out there for me I will find him. If I don't find him then I've led a good, fulfilling life and I haven't missed much. Get out there and if you run up on Mr. Right more power to you but don't sit around and worry about it.

Also make the move with your Kayak buddy. Ask him out for something non-sports related, aka nice dinner, movie or something so he knows that it isn't just a 'buddy' thing.

AW

Mags
08-16-2007, 15:09
Ask him out for something non-sports related, aka nice dinner, movie or something so he knows that it isn't just a 'buddy' thing.

If I may add something: Movies make lousy first dates. You don't get to talk and get to know each other. Just my .02 worth...

(Hmm..maybe there should be a WB advice forum? Love, Life and Lekis? :D)

iliketacos
08-16-2007, 15:12
So when is WB going to start the dating "hook-up" forum?

taildragger
08-16-2007, 15:42
isn't there already a hooking up forum. I know its for trails, but couldn't trails just be code for something else?

BumpJumper
08-17-2007, 17:43
Youguys crack me up here....BJ?????? That is hilarious...

OK, here is the thing. I did as you said Jim, one night I knew he was going to be in town, and I asked him if he got in town early enough, maybe would could grab a video and watch it at the house with some pizza or something. Well, that evening he called me and said he had just got in and was beat. So, I just figured he was brushing me off. I havent acted interested since.
I dont understand, we talk and share comments and spend hours paddling and talking.
Catch this, one day, we were paddling a 8 mile run, he says to me "Have you ever been to the Lobster Pot?" This is a restaurant.
I said, "Yes, they have the best prime rib around Deland"
He said, " Yeah, I love the seafood, it is absolutely great."
END OF CONVERSATION..
I am sitting there thinking, ok, he is gona ask me to Lobster Pot...
NOT.

I dont know what to do.
If I call him and just ask him out, if he says no again, I am going to feel awkward.

BumpJumper
08-17-2007, 17:56
Ok, after reading all yalls replies again, I called him to ask him if he is coming home or if he has to stay out of town. Left it on his voice mail. Hummmmm......

Mags
08-17-2007, 18:27
Ok, after reading all yalls replies again, I called him to ask him if he is coming home or if he has to stay out of town. Left it on his voice mail. Hummmmm......

I have a "rule of two": 2 e-mails or phone calls.

Anyone can honestly be busy, not get the phone call, have e-mail go into spam, have something come up, etc. So I try one more time.

If I get brushed off? I take the hint and move on.

Jim may honestly be bushed..ask one more time. Maybe to the Lobster Pot? "Jim, remember the discussion about the Lobster Pot? Well, I've been craving sea food ever since. Why don't we go next (pick a day in advance)?"

If he gives another reason to not go out? Move on...

That's just me, though. I think life is too short to waste time on someone who is not responding.

Good luck!

DC: When are getting the Love, Life and Lekis forum? :D

Jim Adams
08-17-2007, 19:33
Youguys crack me up here....BJ?????? That is hilarious...

OK, here is the thing. I did as you said Jim, one night I knew he was going to be in town, and I asked him if he got in town early enough, maybe would could grab a video and watch it at the house with some pizza or something. Well, that evening he called me and said he had just got in and was beat. So, I just figured he was brushing me off. I havent acted interested since.
I dont understand, we talk and share comments and spend hours paddling and talking.
Catch this, one day, we were paddling a 8 mile run, he says to me "Have you ever been to the Lobster Pot?" This is a restaurant.
END OF CONVERSATION..
NOT.

I dont know what to do.
If I call him and just ask him out, if he says no again, I am going to feel awkward.

You should have ask right then, "Hey would you like to have dinner there?"
I am sure he would have said yes. This sounds like a good guy who is just too shy to be very open with women.
If he turns you down, call me!!! I love paddling AND lobster!:D

geek

Jim Adams
08-17-2007, 19:35

Just read this entry.....sounds as though he is possibly in another relationship or married. Maybe he doesn't want to lose his paddling partner AND doesn't want to hurt another relationship?:-?

Skidsteer
08-17-2007, 19:58
Just read this entry.....sounds as though he is possibly in another relationship or married. Maybe he doesn't want to lose his paddling partner AND doesn't want to hurt another relationship?:-?

Bingo. Very possible.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-17-2007, 20:18
BumperJumper, are you sure this fellow is unattached? If not, perhaps it is time you asked him. If you two have been paddling together for a while and developed a platonic friendship, it would not seem to be out of line to ask if he is married or seeing someone exculusively.

sir White Wolf
08-17-2007, 21:21
Im a little slow when it comes to the Girls. Ill miss things and kick my self later when I find out later. I just grew up around girls who were my friends and never thought about getting in to a relationship deeper than "just friends" so I would miss the signs. plus Im not a GQ guy and I like my long hair & beard & dont mind gettin dirty.

weary
08-17-2007, 21:33
Anhinga,
I have climbed Mt. Dora. We also have Sugarloaf Mountain here in Lake County. That is a big one for Florida..hehehehehehe

See, there are a lot of folks that meet and greet each other on hikes. I kayak and have been doing alot of kayaking with this one fellow. He always calls me to kayak but never nothing more. We talk sometimes for an hour. He asks me all about my likes and dislikes but never asks me out. What do yall think? Is he interested or what?
He has even gone so far as to show me pics of his twin granddaughters. We too have a lot in common.
He has two children ages 33 and 29. So do I.
His oldest sons name is Chris...so is mine
His only grand babies are girls and is 6 years old and twins, my only grand baby is a girl and 6 years old.
His birthday is on March 6...my moms is March 6th.
So....... tell me.
You're asking the wrong people. Ask him.

Heater
08-18-2007, 02:13
Tell him that while you admire his forward stroke, his hip-snap needs a lot of work. :eek:

Offer to help. ;)

dixicritter
08-18-2007, 11:01
DC: When are getting the Love, Life and Lekis forum? :D

You've reached the message center for DC, she's not available at this time, please leave a message and she'll get back to you when she can.

:D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-18-2007, 12:20
You've reached the message center for DC, she's not available at this time, please leave a message and she'll get back to you when she can.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Dinolaughing.jpg

Cuffs
08-18-2007, 13:06
END OF CONVERSATION..
NOT.

I dont know what to do.

YOU didnt have to let the conversation end... You could have followed it with, "We should go there sometime!"

Come on girl! You can do this! His last "blow off" may not have been. I have had that answer given to me, but I follow it up by making plans for another time while Ive still got him on the phone...

gypsy
08-19-2007, 13:51
Wolf and I met on the trail in 2000, and have been together ever since. There's something to be said about a man who loves a girl that stinks worse than he does!

SGT Rock
08-19-2007, 14:08
Somehow I doubt anyone could stink worse than L.Wolf

Lone Wolf
08-19-2007, 14:09
Somehow I doubt anyone could stink worse than L.Wolf

she really does stink worse

mikew
08-19-2007, 22:08
Geek,

Call her.

BumpJumper
08-20-2007, 09:11
Hey, I liked all the replies.
I know he is not married. He has been divorced for 5 years.
I started to think that he had a girlfriend or something so one day I emailed him because it was never talked about so I asked him...do you have a girlfriend.
His reply was no girlfriend.
He didnt make yesterdays paddle but was very appologetic.
I got home last night and he had left me this email. Yall tell me what you think.

Hi,
Thanks for the Directions, sorry I missed the trip. How was it? Sorry about not answering when you called, but I fell asleep shortly after I got home.
I am planning on taking Friday off of work, and wondered if you would be interested in going Kayaking. Just let me know. Also, remember when I was telling you about the "Suwannee River Wilderness Trail" ?
I enclosed a link for you to look at, If you are interested. I would still like to take a multi-day trip on the Suwannee, once it cools off some.

Have a good nite,

SuwanneeRiver.com

Now, I took this to read...
He was sorry that he missed it.
He is asking me out to kayak on Friday and wants to spend the day exclusively with me.
And he wants me to check out the link if I am interested in going on a weekend or several day paddle with him.
I replied with this.
Ok, I looked at the link. It sounds great. I cant wait. When are you thinking about going?
I sure would like to find out what the "rustic" campsites are. At least they have showers. I wonder if they are the screened pavilions they speak of.
I can go Friday. Thank you for asking me. I am glad you are taking a day off.
Where did you have in mind?

Geek,
Tell me more.:D
So yall tell me, is he asking what I think?

I am so glad to hear that there are so many couples meeting on the trails. This is hope.

Ewker
08-20-2007, 09:16
sure hope he doesn't mind being talked about on here :eek:

Cindy from Indy
08-20-2007, 10:29
Bumpjumper, I'm 42 yrs young, I've been divorced 4.5 years. I was married for 16! The things I have learned about men in the last 4 years could have saved me a ton of heartache. But, that was then, this is now.
Do you like the guy? Yes. Does he want to see you? Yes
Okay, so we have that part out of the way, right? Okay, so now he's asking what you think of an overnight excursion, just you and he. You've answered 'yes', you are interested'.
By him asking you about an overnight excursion, that would imply that he is interested in spending the night with you. It appears that he is feeling you out about intimacy in some form or another. Maybe not full out sex, but being cozy around a fire or holding hands/kissing while watching the stars. Geez, how much more romantic can you get?!;)
Has he tried to kiss you? Do you want to kiss him? Have your eyes locked for long sequences, but no one has made a 'move' yet?
Girl, you just need to go for it! When you meet him next time, just take his hands in yours, pull up close to him and, "Give me a kiss". I guarantee you that he won't say NO!!! lol Then, you just go from there.
The VERY worst that could happen is that he'll tell you he really isn't interested in that kind of a relationship. Okay, that's cool. So, you've got a guy friend that you can feel safe with and do the things you enjoy doing. That's the worst that could happen!!
Let me know how it all turns out!!
Cindy From Indy:)

Cuffs
08-20-2007, 10:39
I love that you are out there actively looking and seeing what your options are!

On the flip side of that... Do you HAVE to have someone intimatley involved in your life? How long have you been single?

I just celebrated (yes, even went and partied!) my 10 year anniversary... of being DIVORCED!!

Dont get me wrong, I date, but I am not NEEDING to have anyone involved in my life. If I was still married, I would not be where I am, doing the things I do, when and where I want.

You have to be happy with yourself before you can be happy for someone else. Yea, it would be nice to have someone around to open that jar of pickles that I just cant manage, but I manage just the same. I do all my own yard work, (2.5 acres!) home repairs/maintenance ( I own more power tools than most men!), run my own business, and still go hiking!

Just wanted you to have something to think about...

And when you done thinking, check out http://www.outdooralabama.com/outdoor-adventures/bartram.cfm (http://www.outdooralabama.com/outdoor-adventures/bartram.cfm)
for more kayaking adventure!

Mags
08-20-2007, 10:46

BEEEEEEP! ;)

Cindy from Indy
08-20-2007, 11:15
Heck yes, I hope to meet some nice men on the trail. :D Why not?!

But, between now and when my hike actually begins next April, I don't know what's going to happen in the romance department. I may meet the man of my dreams yet today?! :D

However, my hike is not about finding a mate. It's about me challenging myself to connect with the world, with nature etc.. It's hard to describe, but I think you understand.

If I were to meet a gentleman on the AT and it was more than just physical attraction, gosh, what a wonderful gift that would be.:) It would be fantastic, but I'm not LOOKING for it. You know? There is a difference.

I know you know this, but I guess I wanted to put my 2cents in. Here's to long lasting love:sun

Cindy From Indy

unl1988
08-20-2007, 12:24
Are men either axe murderers or good guys? Of course we are good guys. What a crummy way to start your post.

Check out the flipside:

Are the ladies on the trail psycho, controlling, basket cases that need extra care, attention and should be generally avoided; or are they normal hikers?

If your looking for Mr. Right, and your interested in hiking, you might bump into him on the trail, I just hope he isn't put off by your first impression of him being an axe wielding maniac.

UNL

flyingduckmonster
08-20-2007, 13:01
unl1988, this is the Women's Forum, and you are a troll with poor grammatical skills and no grasp of parallelism. Please go away.

geek, I think you should call her.

BumpJumper, I think you know he likes you. Have fun. :)

BumpJumper
08-20-2007, 17:17
Thank you DUCK...I did think this was a WOMENS forum.

Ewk....I wont tell him if you dont....

Cindy.... He never said that it was going to be just the two of us. NO he hasnt tried to kiss me...NO I didnt want him too...we have never been in a circumstance to warrant that.

Cuffs... NO I DONT HAVE TO HAVE someone. I am good with just me as well. I would just like some company of the opposite sex and have never had such a problem with a man as I have with this one.

Why is everyone trying to get Geek and I hooked up?????:D

BumpJumper
08-20-2007, 17:25
My Friend Wants To Know....:d :d :d :d :d

Nightwalker
08-21-2007, 01:41
she really does stink worse

Maybe, but no one else'll ever be as nice to you. Heck, she's even nice to me.

BumpJumper
08-21-2007, 18:14
I have to decided to smarten up. I think I will just be a kayak buddy with this guy.
I dont think he has any interest otherwise. He turned me down for a dinner invite. Said he had to pack to leave for the week. Probably so...but I am over it.
Anyone think differently?:confused:

Cuffs
08-21-2007, 18:16
I can pack and be out the door in 10 minutes if need be. If he really wanted to go to dinner, I think he would have accepted...

Sorry.

(FWIW, I had a free meal date last nite... not my type... moving on too)

fehchet
08-21-2007, 18:20
Silly stuff, I love meeting diffefent people on the trail without a preconceived idea. We are hikers.

weary
08-21-2007, 22:31
I have to decided to smarten up. I think I will just be a kayak buddy with this guy.
I dont think he has any interest otherwise. He turned me down for a dinner invite. Said he had to pack to leave for the week. Probably so...but I am over it.
I think the guy is foolish -- or something.

Cuffs
08-21-2007, 22:48

Its not necessisarily "smartening up"... Who couldnt use a new friend or 2? I have Hiking buddies, football buddies, martini buddies, and even "dress me up" gay buddies ( cuz lord knows I cant dress myself unless its poly pro or nylon!!)

Youve got a 'yak buddy. Good for you! I have jetskiied all over Little Lk Harris, Lk Harris, Dead River, Lk Dora, Dora Canal, Lk Griffin, Oklawaha River all the way to Silver Springs!

for a complete trip you can go from the gulf of mexico to Jacksonville, fl, by boat, jetski, canoe, kayak... the whole way, via water (been there, done that) Might be worth looking into for an extended trip!

Best of Wishes for you!!!

Cuffs
08-21-2007, 22:50
Forgot Lk Eustis and Beauclaire!

Lone Wolf
08-22-2007, 07:39
Also edited for being too pitiful :D (Called someone gay without smiley)

Cuffs
08-22-2007, 14:02
Edited for being too good a comment on the pitiful fellows :D (Hilarious comment on edited posts)

BumpJumper
08-22-2007, 17:34
Cuffs.
Are you here in Lake County? How is it that you have been on all those lakes?

Why all the editing? :confused:

Skidsteer
08-22-2007, 18:22
Cuffs.
Why all the editing? :confused:

Guys being guys.

Normally it wouldn't merit editing but this is the Female Hiking Forum. Different rules so the forum doesn't get creepy and thereby discourage the women from discussing freely.

weary
08-22-2007, 18:58
Also edited for being too pitiful :D
Whatever that may mean. Editors, even the particularly wise one of this thread, ought to allow at least a hint of what is being objected to. "Too pitiful" says nothing.

Most of us are pitiful at times, but rarely too much so.

Cuffs
08-22-2007, 19:00
Bump, not sure about the editing... I didnt see anything wrong, and I think we were pretty much on topic. Ive seen way off topic stuff left alone and they do this to us... whatever...

Frankly, I dont really appreciate being called pitiful either... I think the comment as to why the post was edited needs to be edited itself...l

I used to jetski every weekend (Thursday thru Sunday) on all those lakes. Used to have a place on the water off Lane Park Rd. Next to that biker bar Joe's or something...

Used to make day trips up to Silver Springs to see Monkey Island and swim with the otters!

Dead River Vic's giant daquiri's are the best!

Cuffs
08-22-2007, 19:28
Guys being guys.

Normally it wouldn't merit editing but this is the Female Hiking Forum. Different rules so the forum doesn't get creepy and thereby discourage the women from discussing freely.

So a female cant post in a forum just for women???? Now that just really makes sense. (not directed at you Skids)

Skidsteer
08-22-2007, 19:38
So a female cant post in a forum just for women???? Now that just really makes sense. (not directed at you Skids)

Your post was collateral damage. :D

Lone Wolf
08-22-2007, 20:18
Whatever that may mean. Editors, even the particularly wise one of this thread, ought to allow at least a hint of what is being objected to. "Too pitiful" says nothing.

Most of us are pitiful at times, but rarely too much so.

mweinstone alluded that he he hadn't been with a woman in many years. he said he was TOO this, TOO that. I said maybe he was TOO gay. would explain things, no? :) was just kiddin' of course. but dino must be a baptist

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-22-2007, 20:38
LW, I ought to bite you on all four paws for calling me a baptist. :D

Seriously, I'm a little touchy today - we all have our bad days. I'm sorry guys.

Lone Wolf
08-22-2007, 21:03
LW, I ought to bite you on all four paws for calling me a baptist. :D

Seriously, I'm a little touchy today - we all have our bad days. I'm sorry guys.

you're forgiven. you know me, i'm a {scat} stirren' jerk. so you a metodist then?

peanuts
08-23-2007, 09:57
i don't want to offend you men, but, why are you men posting here anyway??????

Gray Blazer
08-23-2007, 10:47
Self edited. :D

Rain Man
08-23-2007, 13:44

They're MEN? Seems a self-evident answer. ~wink~

My apologies... to the ladies... and gentlemen!

Rain:sunMAN

Grinder
08-23-2007, 16:27
the reason men post to your thread is that the womens only stuff pops up in the "new posts" search just like everything else.

I, for one, don't even look at the forum name when I go through the new posts.

If an entry causes an idea to pop into my active imagination, I hit reply and start typing.

I have no problem with the women having their own clubhouse, with a big sign on the door. "NO MEN ALLOWED"

You'll have to talk to management, though.

Miles of Smiles
Tom

Cuffs
08-23-2007, 19:16
Has no one noticed the different background color for the ladies forum? Its the only one that is different. Should have been your first clue...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-23-2007, 19:36
This forum is to only one with a rust colored background. Straight forward and hooking-up forums have a light gray background. Subscription forums have the words ' Subscription forum' running down both sides of the page. All are meant to alert posters they are in a specialized forum.

BumpJumper
08-23-2007, 20:02
Dang...talk about OFF TOPIC...:eek:
I dont care who replies...I want to give yall an update.
I didnt call him, even after he asked me to go kayaking with him tomorrow. He finally called me this morning and said he hadnt heard from ME so he wanted to know if I was still interested in going. (this is when I hit my forehead)
I said yes. He wanted to know if I had called the outfitters to see about shuttles....(this is when I hit my forehead again)
I said no that I thought he was going to.
Well, anyways, we are going tomorrow but he is letting me make the plans...(have I missed something here or is it because I keep hitting my forehead and CRS...(cant remember shot)
Man...I am really ready to ditch this. I am an organizer for enough groups and trips and charities...I dont need to be an "organizer" for a relationship ....right?????:confused:

Cuffs
08-24-2007, 09:19
You need to read "The Rules"

weary
08-24-2007, 09:34
Who knows more about men, then men? I think the original question was about what some guy was thinking.

dixicritter
08-24-2007, 09:35
For the record everyone, men are allowed to post in this forum as long as they do so with respect. This is not a closed forum for women only because we had so many people pitch a fit about that when it was suggested in the first place, so that's not going to happen. However, men are expected to leave the Neanderthal posts outside.

Now, I think this thread has generated so much attention because if a guy had started a thread similar to this he would've been bashed about the head and neck for being a big jerk, only out for one thing. However, a female has started this one so it is suddenly seen as an OK topic.

Now before y'all go ballistic on me, it has happened before. Do some searching on the term "pink blazing" on this site and just see how big an uproar that caused. Yet Bump here is getting all kinds of advice on how to "catch her man".

I don't want to see anymore requests, either jokes or serious, for a dating forum here at WB because it just isn't going to happen. WB is not in the dating business, we're in the hiking business, and I'm very sure that SGT Rock and Attroll will back me up 100% on that one.

Just so everyone is clear we're not against this thread, we just wanted to point out the inconsistencies in how people act. That's all. :)

SGT Rock
08-24-2007, 09:37
What she said. I think this discussion is cool and has mostly stayed pretty clean. BUT, if this thread had been done by a guy on another forum, he would have been soundly thrashed (it has happened before).

My $0.02

Have fun and keep it clean.

flyingduckmonster
08-24-2007, 13:41
You need to read "The Rules"

Disagree! That stuff is so sexist, and much of it is outdated.

... if a guy had started a thread similar to this he would've been bashed about the head and neck for being a big jerk... ... we just wanted to point out the inconsistencies in how people act. That's all. :)..

I suppose I can see that. I was a little surprised when I saw this thread start--especially given all the stuff about pinkblazing--but I didn't comment to say so because I figured, "Eh, well, to each her own."

Now, reexamining my thought process and behavior: I don't want people trying to court me on the trail (admittedly, I'm not too worried about it, as I hike slower than anyone out there and will be all stinky and purple-haired :D ), and I'd probably have said so--maybe even adamantly, if the mood struck me--had anyone (male or female) posted "But What About WOMEN?" So, shame on me. Even we egalitarians sometimes get it wrong, and it doesn't hurt to have it pointed out to us. :o

Cuffs
08-24-2007, 22:55
Yes, some of The Rules are outdated. However, Some of them, when properly used, it helps one to keep their head on straight in the dating world.

I would post an example of a "good" Rule, but then I surely would be flamed. (if you want one, I'll PM you...)

Following some of The Rules had been very helpful to me and also kept out some of the creepy fellows!

BumpJumper
08-25-2007, 09:00
Well Dixie....you sure put a kink in my rope....
I didnt start off asking for a date.
I started off about ax murderers on the trail. But whatever if you are a forum natzi then so be it.
I dont want to be "courted" on the trail either, dont get me wrong. What the heck is wrong with people giving advise? They do it in person....and yes, the do it on the "trail" as well.
Lets close this topic since it has some peoples panties in a wad. Sorry for asking.:mad:

SGT Rock
08-25-2007, 09:09
Naw, keep asking. It is a healthy discussion. I just found it wierd that if a guy would ask something like this he would get beaten about the head and neck, but if a gal asks about a similar thing - we get 6 pages of interesting discussion.

Cuffs
08-25-2007, 10:13
With all due respect DC (& Rock) the Sub Title on the Womens' Forum is: "This is for female hikers only to discuse female issues"

(I think the spelling error also needs to be corrected to be "discuss.")

I think a better subtitle is in order. And also "female issues" is not appropriate.

Rain Man
08-25-2007, 10:18
Naw, keep asking. It is a healthy discussion. I just found it wierd that if a guy would ask something like this he would get beaten about the head and neck, but if a gal asks about a similar thing - we get 6 pages of interesting discussion.

Which suggests that maybe the whole site should likewise discourage the excessive spraying of testosterone, as is discouraged in this thread?

What you describe on the rest of the site is a problem. All the UNINTERESTING bashing that goes on is neither decent nor frankly, healthy discussion, nor appropriate for a family site.

If anyone feels the neanderthals need a place to "act like men" (ugh), then create special threads on the other end of the spectrum to satisfy those urges they can't self-restrain.
:)

Rain:sunMan

SGT Rock
08-25-2007, 10:35
Which suggests that maybe the whole site should likewise discourage the excessive spraying of testosterone, as is discouraged in this thread?

What you describe on the rest of the site is a problem. All the UNINTERESTING bashing that goes on is neither decent nor frankly, healthy discussion, nor appropriate for a family site.

If anyone feels the neanderthals need a place to "act like men" (ugh), then create special threads on the other end of the spectrum to satisfy those urges they can't self-restrain.

Actually this is more the dichotomy:

A couple of years back a guy posted on the site if the AT was a place where one could meet women. The thread turned into mostly a bash of the guy for asking that - women on a thru-hike didn't need guys chasing them or having to deal with unwanted advances from men while trying to finish this huge accomplishment was the general tone of the answers and where the thread went. Testosterone? No, more of a dual standard.

Now a woman asks if there is a chance she could meet guys on the trail that are not axe murderers and if that could turn into a relationship. IMO, the wording may be slightly different, but the question still is basically the same: can a person find someone to start a relationship on the trail? In this case the person has received serious (and not so serious) answers and some encouragement. Testosterone? No, more of a dual standard.

Same basic question, different genders asking, different responses to the person based on that gender. IMO it is more of a reaction to a person's gender than an abundance of testosterone. IMO there are people that want to regulate how people act based on their own perception of the world should be rather than deal with the world on the way the world works.

Heater
08-25-2007, 10:49

...or maybe if this is a situation where no middle ground can be accepted, then the "female forum" should go away altogether!
(or an "exclusive" mens forum" should be provided.

Would that be acceptable to you, bumpjumper? :-?

SGT Rock
08-25-2007, 10:53
Naw, I don't see doing a male only forum. We have off topic and sensite trail jubjects for the thick skinned. IMO it was an interesting examination of how men and women can still be treated differently - it doesn't require a bunch of changes to the board.

Heater
08-25-2007, 11:08
Naw, I don't see doing a male only forum. We have off topic and sensite trail jubjects for the thick skinned. IMO it was an interesting examination of how men and women can still be treated differently - it doesn't require a bunch of changes to the board.

I don't see the need for it (male forum) either. Just trying to send out a clue.

BumpJumper
08-27-2007, 09:02
Would that be acceptable to you, bumpjumper
WELL...for everyone on here to quit bickering.
I got my answer. No one thinks that there are ax murderers on the Trail. And YES you can meet a MAN on the trail or through trail discussion boards and have a friendship with them.....
I HAVE....I am not saying, so dont ask...but I am having conversation with a man because of this TOPIC that I started....

So....YES....it is acceptable...
I dont care what yall type on here now...I got all my answers..:banana

Heater
08-27-2007, 09:13
I dont care what yall type on here now...I got all my answers..:banana

Happy to be of service to you. :rolleyes:

BumpJumper
08-28-2007, 09:30
Thank you.:D

Toolshed
08-28-2007, 13:04
Well Dixie....you sure put a kink in my rope....
I didnt start off asking for a date.
I started off about ax murderers on the trail. But whatever if you are a forum natzi then so be it.
I dont want to be "courted" on the trail either, dont get me wrong. What the heck is wrong with people giving advise? They do it in person....and yes, the do it on the "trail" as well.
Lets close this topic since it has some peoples panties in a wad. Sorry for asking.:mad:

Forum Nazi?!?!?!
I am more than a little shocked that you would call DC a forum Nazi. That's going Way off the deep end. She made a very valid point in her post. And, I think all of the mods here are very patient and act in a helpful, non-confrontational manner :datz :datz :datz

Mags
08-28-2007, 13:23
Godwin's Law. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law)

Always a good rule of thumb.

Back to my corner... :)

flyingduckmonster
08-29-2007, 17:15
Godwin's Law has gone mainstream. Awesome.

(Mags, you're all right. :) )

Passionphish
08-30-2007, 17:09
It took longer on this forum. But all discussions of this nature eventually devolve into a knock down drag out fight.

What is one to do? I'm just glad I'm married!

Dr O
09-03-2007, 19:35
The AT is better for meeting women, and the PCT for meeting men...

http://strangemaps.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/mail.jpg

wakapak
09-03-2007, 22:20
Hmmm...looks like i need to get my butt out west then! :)

Twofiddy
09-17-2007, 11:15
Ok, are any of you women ever curious about the men you meet on the trail? I mean, are they ax murderers or just nice hikers?
That is question number one.

For question number two.
I for one, am a divorced middle aged woman. I dont mind meet a man that has the same interests as myself.
So...how many times has a gal met a man on the trail, or even in hiking groups that turned into something?
Just curious..

In 2003 when I finished Thru-Hiking, I went back to hang out on the trial close to home and to pick up my dog from farm where she spent the summer with her parents... Met an end of the trail angel... had passionate intense relationship for about 1.5 years... and like anything with alot of fire some one gets burned when you play alot. Would not trade the experience for anything... and the experience definatly jaded my opinion about being with someone who does these activities. It just has to be that way... at least for me, the girl has to be able to change a flat, splint an arm, hike with her own pack and food, paddle the raft while I'm sleeping or swimming, and if she does not know what she is doing, improvise!! I'm convinced that if the current relationship that I'm in can last a few weeks on any trail, that we can make it.

The folks who Thru-Hiked together and did not get married or remarried, I dont get it.:-?

wakapak
09-17-2007, 11:44
TwoFiddy...

I get where you're coming from, but also, sometimes Life just happens. I hiked in 99, and during that time developed a relationship with a fellow hiker. A few months after the end, we moved in together. We were engaged the beginning of 02, and did the trail again, married summer of 03. now, we are separated. Yes, we made it thru two times on the trail together, but as I said, sometimes life just happens. I wouldnt change the experience for the world either! But I found out that life on the trail is a lot simpler, even in terms of being in a relationship, than life off the trail....

BumpJumper
09-19-2007, 21:19
OMG

7 dog gone pages of this already yet???? I just looked back at this and was SHOCKED to see it still in progress...

Well since all yall are still studying on this page, I will give you an update on the man..
I dumped him. He never asked me out, only to kayak. He did two no shows for trips and I had had enough.
He comes to some of our events but I dont study on him anymore. I moved one....

I have my eyes set for hiking now,

MEN MOVE OVER...:banana
You too GEEK....:D

Hammock Hanger
09-21-2007, 20:11
You all crack me up. It has been awhile since I was last at the ole' WB forum. -- I know a number of couples that met on the trail and are now married. I know a number of women who had to hide out from guys, I know a few guys that had to hide out from aggressive women. It maybe the trail but it is still life.. and life is life.

I'll stop laughing now and go away.

Hammock Hanger

rickb
09-21-2007, 20:42
RickB here. I have probably told this story too many times, but what the heck. Here is my tale of the Trail, as originally published in the May/June 1999 issue of the ATN. At this point in the thread, it probably wont get many views anyway ;-).

Magic Places
Rick B.

If the north bounders at the Trailhead had asked me why I had waited seven years before returning to the A. T., I'm not sure I could have explained. Since completing my thru-hike at Springer in 1983, I had not even shouldered a backpack. The important thing was that I had returned. And, while more than four months on the A. T. had enriched my life, that Labor Day- weekend hike in 1990 would change it forever.

From the start, everything seemed right. After forcing a bag of cookies on the northbounders, I pushed south from Crawford Notch to Mt. Guyot. Our conversation had been brief, but the chance encounter with them helped put me in a wonderfully reflective frame of mind. The weather was great, the views were excellent, and the Trail was not so crowded as to scare the spruce grouse away. My out-of-shape body even seemed to be cooperating.

The following day; I hiked to Ethan Pond Shelter and made camp. As I sat shivering in the shelter arranging gear, a solo hiker walked into camp. We shared a campfire and talked be- fore she retired to her tent platform. She was a teacher out hiking for a few days before beginning a new semester and was finishing up her syllabus along the way. Although our conversation maintained the reserved, unintrusive tenor one expects at an A. T. shelter, our talk revealed that we shared a long list of common experiences-from diving to teaching abroad. I was captivated, to say the least.

The next morning, I was up early and ready to hit the Trail before beginning the three-hour drive back to my home outside of Boston. I had a dilemma. Not only had I been too "respectful" to ask for this woman's phone number, I had forgotten her name. I contemplated leaving a note but wasunsure which tent. platform was hers. I could have waited, but the Trail was calling, and, truth be known, I was rather. timid around beautiful women.

Before I knew it, I was back on the A. T., cursing my shyness out loud and bemoaning my decision to press on. The introspection that could have turned me around soon gave way to a depression that almost guaranteed the status quo. 1 knew I might have made the biggest mistake of my life, but I saw myself doing nothing to correct it. To this day, I remember that nondescript stretch of Trail more vividly than any other.

Once home, I hoped to find her through her new employer. She had said she was about to begin teaching at a community college in metropolitan Boston. Yet, without even a first name and unsure of the school, my best efforts led nowhere. Two weeks had passed since Ethan Pond when I literally prayed for help.

A couple of days later, I saw a subcompact car with a faculty-parking permit for a local college in front of my apartment. Since I remembered how the woman had extolled the merits of a small car, I placed my business card with a short note on the windshield. Ten minutes later, there was a knock on the door, and there she was. Jennifer lived ~one floor up and two doors down.

Jennifer and I have been backpacking together ever since. We head for the mountains often and just celebrated our sixth wedding anniversary. We think back to Ethan Pond frequently, and, as you might expect, see the world a bit differently now. Magic places? No doubt.

Cuffs
09-21-2007, 20:47
Incredible Rick!!!!

BumpJumper
09-21-2007, 21:08
I am crying here...How sweet that you wanted to search for her....:clap
There is hope. Boy, just once....

oldfivetango
09-22-2007, 09:50
Pedal,
Thanks for the support. A fellow thru hiker had sent me a message today entitled "memories" and I have been thinking ever since. Don't get me wrong, it has been a GREAT day and I enjoyed the memories immensely. The Weasel, via pm, has urged me to contact her... I'm not sure...I did find her business phone number today! Will let you know.
Thanks again,

geek

PS. Pa.Rose....thank you for the good memories!

Ya know,I can be pretty dense sometimes.I am sitting here wondering
why she can't quit her job and move to wherever you are.
Oldfivetango

Heater
09-22-2007, 11:42
Oldfivetango

Sounds like she has her own buisness she is trying to establish (or has) and has moved on. Why should she drop everything?

:-?

oldfivetango
09-22-2007, 16:06
Sounds like she has her own buisness she is trying to establish (or has) and has moved on. Why should she drop everything?

:-?

I thought that when people are really "in love" they will make all sorts
of personal sacrifices?
Oldfivetango

BumpJumper
09-22-2007, 17:25
We can't say what would be good, bad, right, wrong. Things ALWAYS work out for a reason. I believe.

I feel that I am a nice enough person that I will meet the right man one day. If it is on a trail.....then it was meant to be. If not, oh well.
I am not there for that anyways but I am always open if it does. I do keep my eyes peeled for nice, stinky, grundgy, woolie men.:D

Lone Wolf
09-22-2007, 18:08
I do keep my eyes peeled for nice, stinky, grundgy, woolie men.:D

i'm taken by a wonderful gypsy but if she has a momentary lapse of reason and dumps my ass, look me up. :)

BumpJumper
09-23-2007, 00:02
I will try to remember that Wolf.

BumpJumper
11-05-2007, 15:18
I did have to come back to this thread. It was so entertaining. Since I started this thread, I have come across several men from my outdoors adventures one way or another. I am here to tell you....Some guys just dont get it.

I hear that a woman was followed by some freak and the cops were looking for him and she ended up going home off the trail. I would have just waited for him, lurked in the bushes, jumped out at him and beat his stupid, Signal 20 ass.....now....let some freak mess with me. That kind of stuff really boils my girly side.:mad:
I still have my eyes on this one fella who has consumed himself in his work..:-?

Cuffs
11-05-2007, 21:13
Bump.... whats your job?? Most dont know the S20 code... but I got it!! And most men are!!

RiverWarriorPJ
11-05-2007, 21:30
I did have to come back to this thread. It was so entertaining. Since I started this thread, I have come across several men from my outdoors adventures one way or another. I am here to tell you....Some guys just dont get it. .:-?

....Oh Geeeezz..!!..:rolleyes:..

Jim Adams
11-05-2007, 21:37
Oldfivetango

she is a thorasic surgeon.

geek

ps. feels good to be on at an hour that I can actually talk to people!:sun

Frosty
11-05-2007, 23:28
I did have to come back to this thread. It was so entertaining. Since I started this thread, I have come across several men from my outdoors adventures one way or another. I am here to tell you....Some guys just dont get it. I agree. It's kind of sad, but some just don't have any tolerance or understanding of the opposite sex. But I sincerely believe they are in the minority.

Frosty
11-05-2007, 23:31
Bump.... whats your job?? Most dont know the S20 code... but I got it!! And most men are!!I always thought a Signal 20 was a violent whacko? Is this something other than police-related jargon? Just curious.

Hammock Hanger
11-06-2007, 08:12
Bump.... whats your job?? Most dont know the S20 code... but I got it!! And most men are!!

She is X--- just like you.

Cookerhiker
11-06-2007, 09:29
Heck yes, I hope to meet some nice men on the trail. :D Why not?!

But, between now and when my hike actually begins next April, I don't know what's going to happen in the romance department. I may meet the man of my dreams yet today?! :D

However, my hike is not about finding a mate. It's about me challenging myself to connect with the world, with nature etc.. It's hard to describe, but I think you understand.

If I were to meet a gentleman on the AT and it was more than just physical attraction, gosh, what a wonderful gift that would be.:) It would be fantastic, but I'm not LOOKING for it. You know? There is a difference.

I know you know this, but I guess I wanted to put my 2cents in. Here's to long lasting love:sun

Cindy From Indy

I was off hiking when this thread surfaced so I missed all the fun until BumpJumper's latest post so I just got caught up.

Yes, there may be "nice men" on the Trail, but "gentlemen"?!:D

Lone Wolf
11-06-2007, 09:32
i am very gentle

Cookerhiker
11-06-2007, 09:33
i am very gentle

Actually, you were a good example of what I meant - a nice guy but it would be an insult to refer to you as a "gentleman."

IdahoDavid
11-06-2007, 15:34
I resent the suggestions that axe murders can't be nice guys. Many of the men in my family have been axe murders and with rare exceptions they were perfect gentlemen when not involved in the "hobby."

Cuffs
11-06-2007, 15:51
Sure, and Ted Bundy was a "nice guy..."

BumpJumper
11-06-2007, 16:19
Cuffs,
I kinda figured you were one. Name says it all...:welcome

ps. feels good to be on at an hour that I can actually talk to people!
Speak of the devil!!

I dont know about anyone else, but my phone rings the same at midnight as it does at 8 pm.:) hahahahaha
Surprised to see you Geek.

BumpJumper
11-06-2007, 16:24
Potato David.....you married????????
I may want to marry into your clan. They sound charming.....:datz

Dakota Dan
11-06-2007, 19:30
NO DANGER HERE for any of the women folk. The last time I was in a bar and a woman came in and said for $200 she'd do anything. I said .. as I Threw the money down ......PAINT MY HOUSE!!!

Cookerhiker
11-06-2007, 19:30
I resent the suggestions that axe murders can't be nice guys. Many of the men in my family have been axe murders and with rare exceptions they were perfect gentlemen when not involved in the "hobby."

And Lizzie Borden was a nice girl.:rolleyes:

Tipi Walter
11-06-2007, 21:23

And I never met a woman who said she wanted to live in the great outdoors and mean it. I'm no catch, but in all my years of Tipi living and tent sleeping I met many self-admitted nature-loving women who, when given the choice to live outdoors in a primitive way or stick to the citified, mortaged house on the hill with health insurance and a Five Year Plan(and newborns in the mix), always went with the latter.

So trail relationships can be deceiving, then there's much talk about hiking and camping, tents and backpacks and boots, but afterwards, are the couples still living out on the trail? And how easy is it to go back to those long trail days together now and recapture the freedom that was as beautiful then as a quiet tentsite in an open bald?

So, my only solution to living out is to endure long bouts of aloneness interspersed with short forays into the mystery that is another person's heart.

BumpJumper
11-06-2007, 21:47
Life changes and so do people. Fact of life. Then there are those other ones....:-?

ScottP
11-07-2007, 13:24
Even if you are looking, it would probably be best to keep that information to yourself.

BumpJumper
11-07-2007, 16:27
Yep..sure thing there kiddo.....:sun

Tipi Walter
11-07-2007, 18:34
Even if you are looking, it would probably be best to keep that information to yourself.

Wha? Explain yourself.

Show me someone who is not with someone already and who is NOT looking and I'll . . . I'll . . . carry your pack up the trail a ways.:)

Cuffs
11-07-2007, 18:37
I was walking thru a mall with a guy I was dating many years ago and a very well endowed lady in a very skimpy shirt (I think she was interviewing for Hooters Restaurants). He didnt blink, didnt bat an eye, didnt turn his head, nothing! as she walked passed.

I bumped in in the arm and said "now dont tell me you didnt see that?!" he laughed and smiled, he says he was trying to be respectful to me. But she was out there trying to be very obvious to the world!

mcstick
11-07-2007, 18:46
I was out for three months in 2003 and met my wife in Pearisburg VA the night sammy sosa got caught using a corked bat.

Tipi Walter
11-07-2007, 18:55
I was walking thru a mall with a guy I was dating many years ago and a very well endowed lady in a very skimpy shirt (I think she was interviewing for Hooters Restaurants). He didnt blink, didnt bat an eye, didnt turn his head, nothing! as she walked passed.

I bumped in in the arm and said "now dont tell me you didnt see that?!" he laughed and smiled, he says he was trying to be respectful to me. But she was out there trying to be very obvious to the world!

For some reason this story reminds me of the gladiator, Maximus Decimus Meridus, as played by Russell Crowe. Maybe he was still looking but held his shield up over his face.

TomM
11-07-2007, 21:18
After reading this entire thread, I take it that nobody has a problem with mixing romance with play? I ask because until recently I have never been interested in mixing the two. Mainly because of how a sour relationship would interfere with my play. For example: I met a girl cycling and we dated for a few months and then it ended but because of cycling I would still bump into her at various events. It wasn't easy at first and I really didn't want to cycle anymore.

BumpJumper
11-08-2007, 08:01
Tom,
Man do I understand your logic there....and have and still am there....but.
You have to find a different path when it affects you still. I do. I do not want to ever lay eyes on my ex husband as long as I live, yet, I live 7 miles from him, and still share lots of common traveled area with him. I have not seen him in almost one year...why? I travel new roads, I shop in a different location. I dont have the same circle of friends (thank the dear God above). This was my choice because I wanted to, not because I had to.
Point, mix it up. You may never know what nice young gal that is God's perfect provision for YOU, will be around your next turn ready for you to run over...I mean into....:D

Wendi,
That is RESPECT...I was once told by a very nice man that you can judge a man's character by some simple little things...

How does he treat his mom?
How does he react in public or in private to beautiful women?
This was just a few but you get my point.
I had a male companion one night at a dance hall. He had a friend with him that was divorced, not at all attractive, and had the manners of a rabbit in heat..
he galked, stared, and drooled over any woman that walked past him all night. He was standing with me talking and a good looking girl walked past us and he said some crude statement to her like, "I would eat your .... for a mile just to see where it came from!"..
I looked at him (wanted to knock him out) and said, "AND YOU ARE DIVORCED AND CANT FIND A WOMAN ....WHY???????":-? :confused:
I told my male friend that should he ever want to bring his toothless, coothless friend with us again anyplace...count me out.

Lone Wolf
11-08-2007, 08:04
all y'all got some issues. :rolleyes:

Gray Blazer
11-08-2007, 08:09
I was out for three months in 2003 and met my wife in Pearisburg VA the night sammy sosa got caught using a corked bat.
How ironical.

comment self edited because too stupid

Dancer
11-08-2007, 13:53
i am very gentle

Wolf, you are a good guy. I'll never forget getting out of my car at SORUCK 07having never met anyone from Whiteblaze and you immediately asked who I was, welcomed me and offered me a beer. There were a group of bearded guys standing around that truck and I wish I could remember all the names. Great group, all respectful.

AW

Lone Wolf
11-08-2007, 13:59
Wolf, you are a good guy. I'll never forget getting out of my car at SORUCK 07having never met anyone from Whiteblaze and you immediately asked who I was, welcomed me and offered me a beer. There were a group of bearded guys standing around that truck and I wish I could remember all the names. Great group, all respectful.

AW

well thank you. around the truck were myself, Sly, Legs, EZ and Bigcranky. look forward to seeing you at the RUCK. we'll talk SOBO stuff :)

Dancer
11-09-2007, 12:31
well thank you. around the truck were myself, Sly, Legs, EZ and Bigcranky. look forward to seeing you at the RUCK. we'll talk SOBO stuff :)

Looking forward to it.

BumpJumper
09-10-2008, 18:35
Man was this an old post as I was meandering through the files......funny shiot right here now...

tom_alan
10-02-2008, 23:47
We can't say what would be good, bad, right, wrong. Things ALWAYS work out for a reason. I believe.

I feel that I am a nice enough person that I will meet the right man one day. If it is on a trail.....then it was meant to be. If not, oh well.
I am not there for that anyways but I am always open if it does. I do keep my eyes peeled for nice, stinky, grundgy, woolie men.:D

I once felt I met the woman of my dreams and maybe I have ~ time may heal all wounds. Like you, I feel that I am a nice enough person. She is the outdoors type and enjoys a lot of the things that I do. For now I will learn to live with myself and deal with what life has dealt me. One day I hope to reconnect with her. "Life is like a box of chocolates ~ and that's all I got to say about that.":)

Lellers
10-03-2008, 08:34

I'll let my hubby know of your opinion. He's a mild-mannered accountant and never ventures into the woods willingly. We've got a 28-year relationship going.
:p

BumpJumper
10-03-2008, 15:23
This is a womans forum.:mad: WTH?

tom_alan
10-03-2008, 16:51
This is a womans forum.:mad: WTH?

I noticed that a lot of men posted on this one so I just joined in ~ sorry I'll butt out.:eek:

Marta
10-03-2008, 18:30
Hey, Tom Alan, don't worry about it. Welcome to Whiteblaze! It can get pretty boisterous here sometimes.

tom_alan
10-03-2008, 20:07
Thanks Marta:sun

BumpJumper
10-03-2008, 20:55
Well Tom, seeing how your post was about me, I only felt it fair that I should voice my opinion here about a MAN posting. If you dont like what I say, dont post!:rolleyes:

Erin
10-04-2008, 21:12
I thought the trail couples were cool on our section hike. We stayed in Hot Springs and thrus told us to dump alot of stuff. Which was OK, but our dump included decent bag hanging rope. I found a couple at a shelter, obvlously in trail love, and they sold me their extra nice rope for five bucks as they did not need it since they were hanging together now and didn not need the extra rope. Sigh. It was great for us and I hope they are still together. PS. The rope was good. I still use it.

weary
10-04-2008, 22:17
Well Tom, seeing how your post was about me, I only felt it fair that I should voice my opinion here about a MAN posting. If you dont like what I say, dont post!:rolleyes:
BumpJumper. All kinds walk this trail. You can find whatever you might want to find on the trail, at least for awhile. Just be careful. Not all relationships outlast an extended hike.

Weary

rdsoxfan
10-06-2008, 19:29
I somewhat surprised woman think in these terms. But that being said, if I was to meet a woman on the trail and something was to develop I'd believe it was meant to be. I look at this way, its a much better place to meeet a person of substance than a damn bar or club. And besides there are very few people who have these interests. Hiking, the outdoors, the belief that less is more. And an admiration for simplicity and being happy with that. I think theres alot to be said for those types of qualities that stand the test of time. I would be definitely be open to finding love on the trail. I think being open minded and being in a good place in your life helps.

Toolshed
10-06-2008, 20:35
I somewhat surprised woman think in these terms. But that being said, if I was to meet a woman on the trail and something was to develop I'd believe it was meant to be. I look at this way, its a much better place to meeet a person of substance than a damn bar or club. And besides there are very few people who have these interests. Hiking, the outdoors, the belief that less is more. And an admiration for simplicity and being happy with that. I think theres alot to be said for those types of qualities that stand the test of time. I would be definitely be open to finding love on the trail. I think being open minded and being in a good place in your life helps.
Awwww.... You just neva had a shortie get all up on you at the club..... :D:D

BumpJumper
10-08-2008, 20:02
rd....you come on down to Florida. I will introduce you to a few gals your age just looking to meet a man like you.

Frau
10-11-2008, 21:11
Well, the Pink Blazing article opened my eyes. I hike to be AWAY from people, not to be clustered up with folks day after day. I doubt I would be troubled by men, though. Not many fellas are looking for an almost 58 year old. AND, an old beau used to call me Ice Woman. I am VERY DIFFICULT to get to know, ON PURPOSE.

BUT, more on topic---Nessmuk and I met via yahoo personals. We were both used to hearing respondants say, "I like hiking", when they meant "I am just telling you this to get a date. I have never really hiked anywhere". Our first date was Little Rocky Row and the very next day, House Mt. We have been together since the first date. It will be 2 years in January. We hike together AND separately, as I did today.

SO, you might me someone on the trail, but don't reject online folks without checking them out. It worked for us.

Good luck!

Frau

Serial 07
10-11-2008, 21:43
now this is too funny!

Serial 07
10-11-2008, 21:44
i don't know what i'm doing sometimes...

BumpJumper
10-12-2008, 18:18
ANYTHING is better than ONLINE:eek:

Blissful
10-12-2008, 19:05
My sister and her husband met online. One of those dating services.

Frau
10-12-2008, 20:35
Online worked for me, BUT he lived in walking distance of my house and there were MANY people in town who could tell me about him.

Different strokes....

Frau

Frau
10-13-2008, 20:38
Reading the entire previous, closed, pink blazing thread, as well as the meta-filter site is eye-opening, regardless of the many opinions about the veracity of the De ja vu.

Having attended college in the Peace, Love, Dope days, I have always thought of myself as open-minded, tolerant and liberal. Having had a daughter born in 1984, demonstrated what an old fuddy-duddy a hippie can be. Who cares what any of the guys and gals hiking at that time did?

I don't care who says what, all that who-struck-John that goes on on the trail is for someone else, not me. Different strokes. If one wants to hook up on the trail, good luck and God Bless.

I am also flabberghasted by the plethora of vitriolic and vituperative male opinions, both on the subject of pink-blazing, and on this thread. I realize men are allowed to post anywhere, but give us gals a break!

Frau

notorius tic
10-13-2008, 20:43
Axe It This Is A Female Forum................................