PDA

View Full Version : Bivy Bag

rdw440
10-28-2003, 22:16
I am thinking about getting a bivy bag. Does anyone out there use one? Is it too much trouble or would it be worth it?

Footslogger
10-28-2003, 22:32
Depends how much room you're comfortable with ...or maybe better said ...how little room you can deal with. They're tight and don't give you a lot of room for changing clothes or maneuvering around in your sleep. Are you thinking of going with a bivy instead of a tent ???

I used a tarp for part of my thru this year and got the OR Bug Bivy. It's got a waterproof floor and the entire upper surface is no-seeum mesh. The total weight of the two pieces together was around 24 oz.

My honest suggestion would be, if you haven't already done this, would be to borrow and use one for a weekend or extended hike. They're not for everyone but hey ...if they pass the test of time then why not.

chris
10-29-2003, 08:49
I have a very basic bivy and use it in the winter time in conjunction with a tarp. It adds a nice amount of warmth to my sleeping bag and provides some nice wet insurance during the cold months. I couldn't imagine using it as my primary shelter, although if I was going to do a long winter hike, staying mostly (if not completely, in the shelters along the way, this might not be a bad idea. Note that most bivy sacks (except for the most ultralight ones) weigh as much or more than tarps.

2Ply
10-29-2003, 08:58
I have been using the Integral Designs Salathe bivy for a few years now and like the extra room and features it has. It's a little less money than the OR bivies and more room than most. Bibler also makes several with extra head room. I have used mine in the hammock on winter trips for extra warmth and it worked great. I do agree they are not for everyone, but they are a nice addition to a tarp set up.

http://www.integraldesigns.com/bivy-frame.htm

Peaks
10-29-2003, 09:07
Footslogger said it best. I'd add that I suggest trying out the bivy in the rain. Can you get out of your wet gear and into you sleeping bag OK? Can you cook OK? Can you do everything else that you want to do in the rain OK? Questions that you need to decide for yourself.

tlbj6142
10-29-2003, 10:25
might want to consider a small poncho-tarp to use with the bivy. check out www.backpackinglight.com (and their associated yahoo group) as they seem to be big proponents of this setup.

rdw440
10-29-2003, 19:58
Thanks for the info. I use an HH in warm months, thought a bivy might work well in colder weather.

The Weasel
10-29-2003, 21:37
One of the advantages of the Hennessey Hammock is that, with the use of two hiking poles and four stakes (two at each end) it can be set up as a bivy in conditions that do not permit hanging from trees.

The Weasel

stranger
10-30-2003, 01:20
Bivy sacks are usually very expensive cause they are made of Gore-Tex or a similar material, and are very small, tight and generally lack good ventilation. Considering their cost I would check out other options. A light tarp with a Bug Bivy or home-made bug net is a great way to go.

bretb
10-31-2003, 23:40
I love my hammock but even with the multitude of modifications out there there are limitations to just how cold you can use one in. In the winter I use a North Face Soloist bivy and I like it. I have changed clothes in it before but it really isn't practical for much more than sleeping in. I have used a tarp in addition to it to provide a bit more shelter and that worked out very well. The bivy in the provided sac weighs 34 ozs. I have a couple of ideas how to pare off a few more ounces here and there. If you use any type of Bivy make certain that you provide for as much ventilation as possible

Bret

rdw440
11-01-2003, 10:59
"If you use any type of Bivy make certain that you provide for as much ventilation as possible"

Is this because condensation will be a big problem? If so, will I just end up being wet, cold & miserable?

bretb
11-01-2003, 14:38
The condensation issues for me were a bit of an issue but nothing that would not be expected - the big issue is one of making sure you don't suffocate - breathable fabric doesn't mean capable of supporting life. I battened mine down during snow and woke up with a major headache a couple of hours later. I readjusted the ventilation and went back to sleep and awoke feeling fine. I feel that the headache was due to inadequate air exchange. People have suffocated before in Goretex bivies before but of course this was likely due to operator error.

Bret

stranger
11-02-2003, 20:22
Most Gore-Tex bivvies have a warning label about completely closing the bivy sack...that should tell you how "breathable" Gore actually is.

bretb
11-02-2003, 21:27
It is kind of interesting how a fabic is considered breathable. If you go thorough the newsletter archives at www. Wiggys.com (who makes excellent gear BTW) there is some interesting reading on Goretex.
In my case I left the rear vent open and closed the vent over my face. I had set up a poncho as a tarp on the rear of the bivy to cover my pack - of course the pack was somewhat occluding the rear vent.

Bret