PDA

View Full Version : Chilled water and iced drinks!

Rain Man
08-15-2007, 17:27
I've done two warm-weather section hikes this summer and have taken icewater and cold drinks in my backpack both times. The ice lasted all day. Here's what I do--

Fill my CamelBak with ice, then fill it with cold water (the colder, the better).

Lay one or two t-shirts (if two, one on top of the other to get a double thickness) on the ground or a table. I use one of my polyester WhiteBlaze t-shirts and a "thermal" knit shirt.

Lay the CambelBak on the shirt(s), along with any chilled drinks you want. I take plastic 16-oz bottles, one chocolate milk, one orange juice, one Gatorade, and sometimes a soft drink.

Wrap the shirt(s) up and around everything to make a bundle. Last time I added my Tyvek ground cloth around all this. Great insulation and everything serves a double purpose. A sleeping bag might do, too.

Slip it all into a plastic bag (I use a Reynolds brand turkey-size oven bag). You've got a soft, flexible, insulated, multi-purpose, COLD hydration system. Slide it into the top of your backpack. Cinch the top and hit the trail.

Sip chilled water as you hike, and at every rest stop take out a cold beverage of your choice, and make your sweaty hiking buddies jealous!

On Monday I hiked over Unaka Mountain and Roan Mountain and upon reaching Carvers Gap at 5:00 I still had ice in my CamelBak.

I admit it works better for section hikers and/or when you stay at hostels or places with ice and cold drinks available. I've actually had a hostel offer to pick up drinks for me on their regular shopping trip, in advance of my stay there.

Questions? Where's a patent attorney when you need one?!!! :)

Rain:sunMan

hopefulhiker
08-15-2007, 17:39
Sounds like a great idea!

shelterbuilder
08-15-2007, 20:19
I've often done something similar with steak for my first night out on the trail in the summertime. Freeze a steak, wrap it in alternating layers of foil and newspaper and stick it in a zip-loc bag. Wrap the whole thing in a shirt or jacket, and even in 90+ degree weather, your steak will still be ice-cold by dinnertime.

I love the ice cube idea - I think I'm gonna steal that one!:cool:

Rain Man
08-15-2007, 21:43
Sounds like a great idea!

Yes, Hopeful... and hiking out of Fontana in '05 into the snow in the Smokies, perhaps we could have reversed things and put in HOT chocolate and/or coffee instead?!!!

Scrollner
08-15-2007, 22:11
Great idea! I know the only thing I miss while hiking are cold drinks.

Toolshed
08-15-2007, 22:36
Also.....
I usually freeze a half filled drom bag overnight and fill it the rest of the way with cold water the next AM. I then slide it into a sleeve I made of Reflectix (Silver bubble wrap) I almost always have a fist-sized chunk of ice left after a full day trip of mind blowing headache inducing ice water.:D

Rain Man
08-16-2007, 19:02
Also.....I usually freeze a half filled drom bag overnight and fill it the rest of the way with cold water the next AM. I then slide it into a sleeve I made of Reflectix (Silver bubble wrap) I almost always have a fist-sized chunk of ice left after a full day trip of mind blowing headache inducing ice water.:D

Yes, freezing some water in the bladder first is an alternative if you have access to a freezer. Heck, semi-freeze the drink bottles, too.

I also thought about the silver bubble wrap sleave (I have a supply of it), but didn't like the "single-purpose" functionality, plus it's a "one size and shape" item. So, I went with the t-shirts and plastic bag. Still, whatever works!

army hiker
08-17-2007, 05:06
Another easy trick I have learned over here in Baghdad is to take a clean sock, wet it down with any temp water, stick a water bottle in it, let it sit for bout 30mins keeping the sock wet. You should have not ice water but cool water.