PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrating Cold Cuts?

headchange4u
08-15-2007, 19:17
I was making a sandwich from some Oscar Myers cold cuts packed in those little plastic containers . It got me wondering if the packaged cold cuts could be dehydrated.

I was thinking that they could be used a few ways. You could just crumple up the dried meat into normal camp meal to add some protein or you could dry the meat laid out flat and then carry them flat and just add water to bring them back and put them in a pita or other bread to make a sandwich. You could eat it like jerky also.

There are also a lot of choices like honey smoked turkey, ham, honey ham, chiken, honey chicken, roast beef,etc.

I just don't know if things like chicken, turkey, or ham would be safe to carry and eat if dehydrated. I was thinking that the packaged meats may have some preservatives.

Jim Adams
08-15-2007, 19:32
I dehydrate extensively for my canoeing trips and a little for my backpacking. The chicken, turkey and ham is not a problem drying as long as ALL of the fat is removed however I don't do chicken anymore because I have problems re-hydrating it without it chewing like soft wood. If you use deli meat, have them slice it thick so that fat is easier to remove. Deli meats such as meatloaf, bologna, etc. are made with fat ground into the original mix and therefore I don't think that they will dry.
Steak and beef dry and re-hydrate great. If you are adding the meats to a dinner, I would cook them before you dry them, if not you basically just have jerky.
Lean ground beef, cooked then rinsed under hot water in a collander dries great and re-hydrates very quickly but a little bland on its own. Re-hydrate and warm with a dry packet of taco, meatloaf, bbq, etc. type of seasoning. Makes great Sloppy Joes in pita bread.
Also by cooking the meat before it is dried you only have to warm it, not cook it...less fuel!

geek

shelterbuilder
08-15-2007, 19:37
I was making a sandwich from some Oscar Myers cold cuts packed in those little plastic containers . It got me wondering if the packaged cold cuts could be dehydrated.

I was thinking that they could be used a few ways. You could just crumple up the dried meat into normal camp meal to add some protein or you could dry the meat laid out flat and then carry them flat and just add water to bring them back and put them in a pita or other bread to make a sandwich. You could eat it like jerky also.

There are also a lot of choices like honey smoked turkey, ham, honey ham, chiken, honey chicken, roast beef,etc.

I just don't know if things like chicken, turkey, or ham would be safe to carry and eat if dehydrated. I was thinking that the packaged meats may have some preservatives.

You can dehydrate almost anything, but to my way of thinking, there are better types of meats to dry than cold cuts. One of my friends at work is always drying something, and she likes to bring in extra for her friends. It is amazing what she can do with some of the cheaper cuts of steak and some extra seasonings/flavorings.

Get yourself a book on drying foods - I'm sure that there will be a chapter on drying meats of all kinds. Then just experiment at home. Dried meats work best when added to soups and stews, because they will rehydrate (about 85% of the orginal volume can be regained if simmered in a liquid base of some sort). However, they can be eaten "just so" - a couple of strips of beef jerky will last for quite a bit of walking. Chicken, turkey or ham would, I'm guessing, act the same. Just make sure that it's dried thoroughly to retard spoilage.

hopefulhiker
08-15-2007, 19:42
The Backpacker Gourmet is really good.. and yes I think you can dehydrate most anything.. Salsa is good dehydrated, Texas Pete, Fruit is excellent...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-15-2007, 19:42
Most cold-cuts contain a lot of fat and would be difficult to dehydrate. However, some of the leaner varieties would likely work.

Jim Adams
08-15-2007, 19:45
headchange4you,
Use very cheap round steak about 1/2" thick. Trim all the fat away and slice into stips about 1/2" wide, length doesn't matter unless it wont fit in you dehydrator or oven. Put all of the strips in a large bowl with a sealing lid. Add soy sauce until all meat is covered, add 2 tbl. spoons of liquid smoke, put the the lid on and shake. Put the bowl in your fridge overnight to marinate. Dehydrate the next day....best and easiest jerky I've ever tasted.

geek

shelterbuilder
08-15-2007, 21:16
Jim Adams - you've got my mouth watering already!!:D Do you put your steak into the freezer until it's ALMOST frozen (to make it easier to cut thin strips)?

Jim Adams
08-15-2007, 21:22
Jim Adams - you've got my mouth watering already!!:D Do you put your steak into the freezer until it's ALMOST frozen (to make it easier to cut thin strips)?

Doesn't matter. froven tends to cut easier, thawed tends to be easier to cut out the fat. The most important aspect is a sharp knife.

geek

budforester
08-15-2007, 23:28
Cold cuts might work, but I am doubtful about flavor. Also, the high surface area and fat content would soon go rancid. I haven't tried cold cuts, but I dehydrate hot dogs occasionally. Seal them tight and store frozen... they come out like Slim- Jims.