PDA

View Full Version : guide book on AT?

cabalot
10-28-2003, 23:08
can anyone recomend a good book with details specificly on NJ, NY, PA, and VA trails of AT. ineed to know about camping and water sources.

The Weasel
10-28-2003, 23:31
Thru Hiker's Companion, the Trail Guide and the Data Book all have that info, as do the AT Segment Guides. Go to the Appalachian Trail Conference website, and check their store. All but Wingfoot's book are available there. For his book go to Trailplace.com

Lilred
10-29-2003, 00:27
You can download the whole AT Companion book at this website.

http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

max patch
10-29-2003, 11:32
Originally posted by cabalot
can anyone recomend a good book with details specificly on NJ, NY, PA, and VA trails of AT. ineed to know about camping and water sources.

If you want to know about camping and water sources you want either the AT Data Book or the AT Appalachian Trail Guides which you can purchase from the AT Conference.

You do not want the ALDHA Thru-Hikers Companion or Wingfoots Thru-Hikers Handbook. While these publications do have some trail information, their primary use is for available town services. (Note: Wingfoots book includes the Data Book information, however, if you don't need the town information there is no reason to pay $16 instead of $6 and carry twice the bulk.)

The Data Book is a concise listing of trail features. The Trail Guides have detailed commentary. The Data Book is about $6; the Trail Guides vary in price from $20 to $40 or so and usually include 1 or 2 states in each book. Example of a listing for the Springer Mountain Shelter in each publication:

Data Book:

0.2 Springer Mountain Shelter (3,730) C,w
right 0.2, spring on path to shelter

Trail Guide:

0.2 Reach blue-blazed trail to Springer Mtn. Shelter (built in 1972) and water. A few hundred ft beyond, reach junction of AT with with Benton MacKaye Trail (marked with off-white diamonds.) To continue on AT take left at junction of trails.

poison_ivy
10-29-2003, 11:48
The ATC's guide books are an excellent resource -- along with their maps. I'm not sure if you're planning a long distance section hike or some shorter trips. If'you're look ing for shorter weekend type trips, another good resource are the booking in the "Exploring the Appalachian Trail" series (there are five different books -- I have the New England ones Hikes in Southern New England and Hikes in Northern New England.) The books break the trail up into day hikes and short overnighters, with plenty of information about access roads, hich I have found very helpful.

- Ivy

Jack Tarlin
10-29-2003, 15:03
The Appalachian Trail Conference is your best resource for guidebooks, maps, trail guides, etc. You can access their site by going to www.atconf.org then go to section called "Ultimate Trail Store."

Fixed the link here.

Sly
10-29-2003, 16:32
Jack, this is the 2nd link of your that didn't work today! You gotta leave the symbols off the end!

cabalot
10-29-2003, 22:22
thank guys, i will be stopping by campmor this friday on my way to the stokes state forest park for a car camp trip with a disabled friend, they should have a descent selection.