PDA

View Full Version : Camping in Penmar?

stewill
08-16-2007, 07:20
Three friends and myself are wanting to start a hike from PenMar and we are getting mixed reports on whether camping is allowed in Penmar. Does anyone know for sure one way or the other?

Thanks,
Ron

Toolshed
08-16-2007, 07:30
Camping is not allowed in PenMar. I cannot really think of anyplace close to there off the top of my head. You may leave your vehicles overnight there.
http://www.washco-md.net/public_works/pubwkfaq.htm#parks

The Old Fhart
08-16-2007, 07:39
There is no 'camping' in Penmar. I know that in years past the staff had let some thrus sleep on the picnic tables after the park had closed.

PJ 2005
08-16-2007, 10:50
Go north about a half mile and you'll find some open area under power lines... I camped out there with 5 or 6 people and we weren't noticed.

wilconow
08-16-2007, 11:05
Not sure if you're interested, but Old Forge State Park is like 7 miles north of Pen Mar. There's a couple shelters right around there (and great camping along tumbling run). You can leave a car overnight there if you call Michaux State Forest

Toolshed
08-16-2007, 11:13
Not sure if you're interested, but Old Forge State Park is like 7 miles north of Pen Mar. There's a couple shelters right around there (and great camping along tumbling run). You can leave a car overnight there if you call Michaux State Forest
I had forgotten about Old Forge - I think there is also a picnic ground there as well. You can drive to withing a few hundred yards of the LT if I recall.

As far as stealth camping down by the power lines, 2 problems - ATVs going through could hit you in the night and the fact that it is things like this that cause some to want to decide not to allow access on their properties

stewill
08-16-2007, 12:45
Thank you all for your suggestions. We might give old Forge a try.
Ron

Pedaling Fool
08-16-2007, 12:51
I camped about 1 mile north of PENMAR, at Falls Creek.

wilconow
08-16-2007, 14:29
I had forgotten about Old Forge - I think there is also a picnic ground there as well. You can drive to withing a few hundred yards of the LT if I recall.

As far as stealth camping down by the power lines, 2 problems - ATVs going through could hit you in the night and the fact that it is things like this that cause some to want to decide not to allow access on their properties

yep, first come first served covered pavillions.. and a ball field.. and potable water.

Jack Tarlin
08-16-2007, 15:45
There's actually perfectly good camping just a few tenths of a mile north of PenMar right on the Trail, you don't have to go a mile. Just make sure you bring water and DON'T frink from the nearby stream as it is purportedly polluted.