PDA

View Full Version : Cocoon quilts?

Dirtygaiters
08-16-2007, 11:11
Does anybody here have experience with the Cocoon quilts they sell at BackpackingLight? The UL 60 model weighs only 11 oz supposedly, which is very interesting to me. That's about half the weight of my current summer sleeping bag. Does anybody know the temperature ratings for these quilts, or how long they last? It seems like such a lightweight synthetic insulation would lose loft more quickly than normal, or am I wrong here?

Dirtygaiters
08-16-2007, 11:12
Almost forgot, here's a link: Cocoon quilts (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/sf/Sleep%20Systems/Quilts/index.html).

Biloxi
08-16-2007, 11:47
if you go to BPL and look at the staff reviews and the reader reviews for the cocoon as well as read about the arctic 1000 expedition.inwhich they used the cocoon quilts as part of a sleep system..but yes they work and yes the weights are pretty acurate. some of the staff at BPL designed the cocoon aswell as took part in the arctic 1000. they take their equipment very seriously. since they are most ultra light hikers. their life depends on their gear working. with that said..gear like that is NOT bomb proof and takes special care and is to be used in conjunction with other components of your system to achieve maximum results. usualy gear like that is used by experianced hikers who are comfortable with maximizing there gear..but go check em out at BPL..there are some very knowledgable hikers over there..ask questions..good luck

firemountain
08-16-2007, 12:46
I own the cocoon 180 quilt which is the 17oz spring/fall version. I have only owned it for a month or so now, and have not used it outside. I can give you my first impressions though. I have always used sleeping bags and this is my first quilt. I use it every night to sleep with (indoors). The quality is very high, and it has significant loft. For me to use it outside in temperatures approaching the limit will take some getting used to as I like to roll around at night. Seems like a great summer option though. Any specific questions please feel free to ask. Also if you go on backpackinglight.com and search the forums you will find many threads with more detailed than I have provided.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-16-2007, 12:51
I have a homemade synthetic-fill (thinsulate) quilt for two that weighs 26 ozs (it is 40 degrees on he-dino's side and 20 degrees on shivering she-dino side :D). It does not compress as well as down and has lost considerable loft in less than one year of use. I've switched to down because of these concerns.

jesse
08-16-2007, 12:56
FD,
How many layers on the 40* side? How many on the 20*? I made ray-way quilts for me and my son. I was thinking about making summer quilts using thinsulate.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-16-2007, 13:07
FD,
How many layers on the 40* side? How many on the 20*? I made ray-way quilts for me and my son. I was thinking about making summer quilts using thinsulate.I seriously would not recommend thinsulate for quilts because of how fast it has lost loft.

As for your question - I used the sort sold for indoor winter quilt batting and he-dino's side has two layers, she-dino's has three. 3M quit making thinsulate for quilts last year and I bought it on clearance. I think it was about .75 inch per layer - so he-dino's side is about 1.5 and she-dino's is 2.25.

Using the RayWay formula 100 - (40 * 1.5) = 40 and 100 - (40 * 2.25) = 10

Rambler
08-19-2007, 18:53
Here is some more of the theory on Quilts. Note the chart for loft/temp ratios with down. I use a couple of homemade down quilts three seasons. They work great. Save weight.

http://thru-hiker.com/workshop.asp?subcat=5&cid=6