PDA

View Full Version : Books for the PCT

taildragger
08-16-2007, 12:34
I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations for books that I should look into to help me plan my partial PCT hike for next summer (3 months, so far all I know is that I want to hit the JMT and possibly catch some trout while I'm out :banana)

Any and all help is appreciated

Mags
08-16-2007, 13:06
The books you need are the Pacfic Crest Trail Guidebooks and the PCT databook.

The guidebooks have the maps and trail descriptions. The PCT databook is similar to the AT databook (major junctions and mileage points, water info, etc.).

All these books can be found at:
https://www.orderz.com/pcta/productdetail.asp?cat=154

For planning purposes, I strongly suggest Yogi's PCT Handbook. (http://pcthandbook.com/)

It is a bit like the Handbook or ALDHA Companion (minus mileage info). Has town info as well as gear tips and planning strategies from many hikers who have done not only the PCT, but the AT and CDT as well. Lots of knowledge in book form. It is a bit like the Ruck or a Gathering all in one book!

Finally, White Blaze now has an OTHER TRAIL FORUMS, including one for the PCT. (I moderate the Colorado Trail one) You have to subscribe to them by
by going to http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/profile.php?do=editusergroups

Click on the OTHER TRAILS FORUMS.

Hope this helps.

Jim Adams
08-16-2007, 13:12
Mags is correct, Yogi's book is very good and the data book is also. I didn't use the guide books so I can't comment on those.
You can also log onto adventureonthepct....com?...net? I think it is .com. Anyway it is a PCT site patterned after White Blaze and you can find alot of help there.

geek
p.s. THE TROUT FISHING IS INCREDIBLE!

Mags
08-16-2007, 13:37
You can also log onto adventureonthepct....com?...net? I think it is .com. Anyway it is a PCT site patterned after White Blaze and you can find alot of help there.

Yep. it is indeed Adventure on the Pct (http://adventureonthepct.com). Not very active..but it is getting more use (personally. I think it is the best format for sharing info. I hope it does get more use).

There are also PCT resouces at www.trailforums.com
and the PCT mailing list at www.backcountry.net
Archives viewable at: http://mailman.hack.net/pipermail/pct-l/

Crazy Legs
08-16-2007, 13:42
I found Yogi's book to be invaluable in preparing for and during my hikes along the PCT. She's done the trail 3 times, and has a phenomenal memory -which comes in handy when putting info together like this. Here book is in two parts; the first is to help in preparation. The second is to take with you. The second part is printed on water proof paper, which is a definate bonus.

Mags
08-16-2007, 13:52
She's done the trail 3 times, and has a phenomenal memory -

Yogi is on the pct again right now. In fact, she just sent me a memory card that I have to bump ahead to her next stop.

Yeah..I am biased when I say it is a good book. But it really is a good book! :D

sarbar
08-16-2007, 14:13
Yogi's book! She is one awesome lady. I met her at the PCTA Fest in Seattle this spring (we both had booths). Just all around nice.

The other books are ok, I suppose....but while helpful, are not the best.

Mags
08-16-2007, 14:28
The other books are ok, I suppose....but while helpful, are not the best.

I would not want to hike the PCT (or any trail, even the AT) w/o maps. The guidebooks have adequate maps in them. You could buy topos, but that's $$$.

For the JMT, I do suggest the Harrison maps.

https://www.orderz.com/pcta/productdetail.asp?cat=156

YMMV.

sarbar
08-16-2007, 15:59
Greentrail maps for Washington State. While not cheap (about $5 a section) they are very indepth, updated every couple years, etc.

You can also get maps from the PCTA that are in full color. Huge map, but each covers a big section. For Washington State, they have the upper half done now (and the map is weatherproof as well). You can also still get PCT maps from the Forest Service for the bottom half of Washington and also Oregon. These are not weatherproof though.

sarbar
08-16-2007, 16:02
Maps (https://www.orderz.com/pcta/productdetail.asp?cat=154) at PCTA. Looks they have the southern half of Washington state now...woo-hoo!

Mags
08-16-2007, 16:09
You can also get maps from the PCTA that are in full color. Huge map, but each covers a big section. For Washington State, they have the upper half done now (and the map is weatherproof as well). You can also still get PCT maps from the Forest Service for the bottom half of Washington and also Oregon. These are not weatherproof though.

A quick question though: Are the maps useful for navigating at that large of a scale?

As for USFS maps, I don't know about the PCT ones per se, but in general they tend to be better for FS roads, less so for navigating (large scale, no topo lines). Is that the case with the PCT ones? They look to have topo lines, not sure about the scale. I honestly don't know. They sound similar to the Colorado Trail USFS maps which are a bit dodgy for backcountry use. Could be a good option, though.

The first set of Washington maps sounds great, though. Depending on what section of the PCT he is doing, could be nice. Still $$$ compared to the guidebook ones though. esp if you are doing almost the whole PCT.

Just my .02 worth.

sarbar
08-16-2007, 18:24
I know that for Wa and Or the maps done by the PCTA and the PCT FS maps (basically the new PCTA ones are replacing the old paper FS ones) are indeed worth the $12 each. Waterproof, and it covers half the state. The detail is there, along with elevation profiles (so you can cry at night in your tent :D ) and info on camps, connecting trails, etc.
I'd very much say they are worth the money (and especially so in Wa state! Two maps for the state is $24....if you were to buy all the maps just for the southern half by Greentrails.....you'd be pressing $100 or more.)

Mags
08-16-2007, 18:46
The detail is there, along with elevation profiles (so you can cry at night in your tent :D ) and info on camps, connecting trails, etc.

Sweet. Sound like a guidebook in map form.

Another excuse to get out there..get to use new maps. :)

vaporjourney
10-31-2007, 15:43
Is the second portion of Yogi's book all you need on a hike, or would you need something with more extensive mileage data like the Data Book? I only ask because Yogi's book is so expensive. I'd like the help in planning, but I'm sure I could find enough info online. But...if it helped planning in one book, and also had all I need to take on the trail, sign me up! I'm assuming this isn't the case, but had to ask.

edit: just found on another forum that most people use Yogi's book in addition to the PCT data book when out on the trail. I'll pick up Yogi's book, but hesitantly since it'll cost $36 after shipping. I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end, but damn..! I remember reading Yogi's book at the Kincora hostel on my AT-thru this year and thinking that the planning portion was a bit too focused on the beginner, but still, the info on desert-hiking and navigating high-passes will be invaluable.

Sly
10-31-2007, 16:20
I only ask because Yogi's book is so expensive.

Well, I guess it depends, but $36 including shipping, could be considered expensive. If you bought her book you probably wouldn't the data book which is $10 plus shipping, and you'd have the planning portion of the guide.

Still, I wouldn't hike the trail without the Wilderness Press guidebooks that include the maps. I know some that have and they were continually asking directions!

All tolled, it would cost about $100 for Yogi's book and the 3 guide books. Cheaper than either the AT or CDT by far.

StarLyte
10-31-2007, 16:28
If interested, send me your name and address and I'll mail you out one of Weathercarrot's PCT DVD slideshows.

[email protected]

sarbar
10-31-2007, 22:33
Yogi's book is worth the money...I know it is pricey, but it is a big book, stuffed with info.

Coming up in a couple months Erik should have his out as well: http://www.pctguidemaps.com/ He finished up his thru hike last month.

Yes, the Wilderness Press books have been around a long time, but at the same time....some of it is horribly out of date :( And very pricey!

Sly
10-31-2007, 23:07
Yes, the Wilderness Press books have been around a long time, but at the same time....some of it is horribly out of date :( And very pricey!

Out of date and pricey, for three guidebooks with maps that have been recently revised and include updates from the website? I don't know, the ones I used were fairly old and I didn't have any problems.

I wonder what Eric is going to be charging for his slimmed down guide? Regardless, the trail isn't all that difficult to follow which ever book/maps you use.

sarbar
11-01-2007, 01:55
I think more of my issue is the style of the Wilderness Press guides. They just don't rub well with me. I have not hiked the PCT in CA though....just Oregon and Washington. I have found changes and mistakes. Hopefully their newest version is better.
My biggest gripe though is that the guide book doesn't talk enough about water sources though. Just my pet peeve. Second gripe is that once they get into Wa.....it runs right through it without enough detail. For an $18 book, it could give a bit more detail ;)

Jim Adams
11-02-2007, 00:11
Yogi's book is VERY useful. I used it and the Data Book. I didn't carry any maps and had no problems. The trail, although not blazed is very easy to follow and when it meets other trails, there is always a sign marking which trail is which.
Good luck and have fun.

geek

ps. do Kennedy Meadows and go north...I didn't care much for the desert...my new tattoo that I will have completed in a month is on my azz and says "*** the desert! You may like the southern part but I don't know why.

Sly
11-02-2007, 00:43
..I didn't care much for the desert...my new tattoo that I will have completed in a month is on my azz and says "*** the desert! You may like the southern part but I don't know why.

About half way through the desert, I thought, if I ever do this trail again, I'm starting at Kennedy Meadows. Once I got to KM, I didn't think the desert was all that bad. Since then I've hiked over a 1000 miles of desert. It kind of grows on you.

Spirit Walker
11-02-2007, 11:29
I'm with Sly on this one. While the desert was not my favorite part of the PCT, it was an essential part of the trail experience. You haven't hiked the PCT if you haven't done the first 700 miles. If we ever go back and hike the trail again, we'll start at Campo.