PDA

View Full Version : Hiking the AT in NJ

horicon
08-16-2007, 16:18
I am planning on hiking the AT from Aug 25 to Aug 31 in NJ as day hikes. How is the terrian??? I am coming off a injurt and would like to keep it easy.

Pedaling Fool
08-16-2007, 17:23
The terrain is easy with respect to climbs/descents. However, it had a lot more rocks than I expected, but maybe I was just expecting too much after coming through Pennslyvania.

Although, NJ had really nice views and sunfish pond is a nice spot to cool off.

7Sisters
08-16-2007, 19:25
There is a descent amount of rocks from DWG to Sunfish pond ~ 6 miles, and they are the little sharp kind. Once past Sunfish Pond, you will pretty much be on ridgeline (Kittatinney (sp) Ridge). You'll come across a great swimming hole at Mohican Outdoor Center (AMC owned).

There are some great views from there to High Point and most of the trip is under canopy cover. However there are some real hot open sections.

Overall NJ is a very very pretty state. I lived in NJ until I was 21 and never knew how pretty this section of the state is. As John Gault said, there are very few climbs, mostly ridge line walking.

Enjoy the time.

Toolshed
08-16-2007, 20:09
BT,
I agree once you hit elevation at Sunfish, you stay flat with the exception of a few hundred foot drop at MillBrook Blairstown Road and then a 3-400 foot dip just before Rattlesnake mountain. It is all easier rolling then until Rte 206 where you drop down and then come back up. You'll then be on easy walking with a few smaller dips until you get to High Point. You then hit rolling farmland.
As for rocks, there are some on the way to Sunfish and some spots between Brinks Road shelter and Rte 206, but all in all it is one of the easier sections I have done and I been back and forth around there probably 3-4 times as I really enjoy that section of trail and it is very close.

Just N of Millbrook Blairstown road is a nice beaver swamp that you cross over with a beautiful little falls to your Right.

little bear
08-17-2007, 21:00
how long would it take to hike all of New Jersey?

horicon
08-18-2007, 08:20
I can not till you the time but the distance is 74 miles.

Toolshed
08-18-2007, 08:51
You could do it without straining yourself in about 5-6 days (12-15 Mile days). Less if you want to push it. Since there aren't a lot of tough ups and downs, your avg. mileage won't suffer too much.

horicon
08-20-2007, 09:23
Thanks!!!! I am planning to do the NJ AT as day hikes. As stated I am recovering from an injury and do not what to push it.

horicon
09-05-2007, 14:22
Just a quick note, I had a great time walking(hiking) the AT in NJ. Trip repors will follow.

camper10469
09-05-2007, 19:20
Just remember, NJ's state flower is Poison Ivy, the state bird is the mosqueto. :banana

7Sisters
09-06-2007, 05:59
As with most of the AT, winter is a great time to experience this part of the trail. The forests are alive with a different type of life, you visibility thru the forest is much greater, there are fewer people on the trail and you avoid the heat and bugs that can be a real issue in the central eastern US corridor.

NJ was a great AT state. I lived in NJ for 21 years and was shocked was dreading this part of the AT based on me living in the state. I was absolutely suprised by my great experience.