PDA

View Full Version : Gatewood cape sleep system advice

Freeleo
08-18-2007, 13:43
hello,
i was hoping to get some suggestions/feedback for a lightweight sleeping system that would compliment the gatewood cape shelter on an AT southbound thru hike in 08 from
late july up through the end of october

of course the lighter the better :)
any comments or suggestions might help decide and would be much appreciated

thanks in advance
jeff

hopefulhiker
08-18-2007, 18:38
Just a thought but if you get a sleeping bag or quilt with pertex or some other water resistance because I think it would touch the edges of the sheler.. Also I would use a really thin pad...

bigcranky
08-18-2007, 21:01
Get some Momentum 90 fabric from thru-hiker.com and make yourself a sleeping bag cover/bivy sack, with silnylon on the bottom and a big panel of mesh over the face and upper body. Along with providing protection from side splashes and bugs, it'll add some warmth to your bag. I use mine under a flat tarp or a poncho tarp, and I also use it in shelters (no bugs, no mice). ]Click here (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15028&c=member&imageuser=266) for a photo. This one weighs 8 ounces in its stuff sack. You could go lighter using cuben fiber or some such for the floor, but this one is fine for me.

hopefulhiker
08-19-2007, 08:10
Also you might consider longer stakes to lift up the Gatewood cape for more room...