PDA

View Full Version : GA, NC Capsite with a view

Waterbuffalo
08-18-2007, 17:03
:-? Anybody know of any where cool to pitch a tent in Febuary I have a cousin coming up from FL and he isn't shelter friendly as he snores I took him to Silers bald last year he loved that.

Waterbuffalo
08-18-2007, 17:05
I meant Campsite

Pedaling Fool
08-18-2007, 17:17
Couple shelters come to mind - they have campsites:

- Tray Mtn Shelter (less than a 1/2 mile from Tray mountain - great views).

- Blue Mtn Shelter

- Blood Mtn Shelter - I don't remeber if it has campsites, but not many people stay there. (Bring water)

Phreak
08-18-2007, 18:08
Cowrock Mtn - great views but can be tricky finding a good spot for a tent. I typically just sleep on the rock face under the stars at this spot.

Trail to Whitley Gap Shelter - great spot near the beginning of the trail with views and camping spots.

Standing Indian Mtn - one of my fav spots in the south.

buckowens
08-18-2007, 18:20
Sheep Rock Top in GA and Rocky Cove Knob in NC.

Doughnut
08-19-2007, 10:18
i.5 south of Bly Gap, west side of the trail is Rocky Knob, it is a WONDERFUL place, (ssshhhhh don't tell anyone)

Lone Wolf
08-19-2007, 10:38
cheoah bald is one of the best

mixinmaster
08-19-2007, 11:02
Cheoah Bald north of the NOC has great views to the west !!!!!!

Jim Adams
08-19-2007, 11:25
Couple shelters come to mind - they have campsites:

- Tray Mtn Shelter (less than a 1/2 mile from Tray mountain - great views).

- Blue Mtn Shelter

- Blood Mtn Shelter - I don't remeber if it has campsites, but not many people stay there. (Bring water)

:-?
Tray Mountain Shelter is one of the coldest shelters on the trail but camping w/ tent or tarp would make it a great choice.
Blue Mountain Shelter faces into the weather but again makes a great place to camp w/tent or tarp.
Blood Mountain Shelter is a dump.

You may have fairly empty shelters in february especially if you go at the beginning of the month.
Bly gap is a good place to camp out of the weather of ridge or peak camping and Muskrat Shelter just above Bly will warm you up on the climb to it but it is also a cold shelter.
I like LW's suggestion of Cheoah Bald...nice spot!

geek

Mother Nature
08-19-2007, 15:02
i.5 south of Bly Gap, west side of the trail is Rocky Knob, it is a WONDERFUL place, (ssshhhhh don't tell anyone)

My favorite place for solitude too but the winter views are through the trees. It is in the section that I maintain. In early spring the backside of Rocky Knob is covered in ladyslippers.

The camping area leading Whitney Gap is great but water is a long hump away if you are staying several days.

Cheoah, Tray and Cowrock are my other "favorites" for views.

MN

Pedaling Fool
08-19-2007, 17:18
cheoah bald is one of the best
I don't know how I forgot Cheoah Bald.

Sharkey
08-19-2007, 18:23
I have to second what others have said. Tray Mountain, Blood Mountain and Blue Mountain shelter have great views. Another site with a great view is a vista about 1 mile north of Deep Gap Shelter. There is a camp site there. (A small sign at the side of the side of the trail points you to the vista.) You will have to carry extra water. The nearest water source is at Deep Gap Shelter. But the view which is about 40 yards from the camp site is really nice. Also, I don't think you will have a problem with space at the shelters/campsites. When I was hiking in January and February this year ( a few days each month), I only saw 5 people on the trail during the entire time.

Waterbuffalo
08-19-2007, 21:14
Wow looks like I started a great thread I've done Blood Mtn a couple years ago with him now he has the hiking bug I may try Tray or Cheoah you got have me going through the guide books tonight.

SGT Rock
08-19-2007, 21:20
I like Cowrock myself. And there is a great campsite down the trail south a little ways to get water.

Gray Blazer
08-20-2007, 08:13
Nice camping spot on Rocky Bald one and a half miles south of Tellico Gap. Good views to the East.

scope
08-24-2007, 15:16
Wolf Laurel Top - its a mile south of Cowrock, similar view with exception of being able to look down on the hwy.

Tray shelter is way cool (literally) at night - it looks out over a valley and town lights at night.

There's an awesome campsite south of the Tray Mt road crossing, I believe north of the Cheese Factory site (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) that is right next to the trail with a wide open view.

Ramrock is a short hike from the road (1.5m) and is supposed to have a view of the Atlanta skyline at night.

An even shorter hike from the road is the Wildcat Mt. site on the Whitley Gap shelter trail - about a half mile total.

Jack Tarlin
08-24-2007, 18:39
Some great suggestions so far.

There's also Max Patch Mountain. Bring a windproof tent.

And I'll second Phreak. Standing Indian has great views is close to a road, and has a terrific campsite up top.

Best yet, it's also possible to park within a mile or so from Overmountain Shelter, the prettiest shelter in the South, which has a great view down the valley.