PDA

View Full Version : First Aid Kit

Suzzz
08-18-2007, 19:08
Hi,

What do most AT hikers carry for First Aid Kits?

Call me paranoid but as a paramedic, I find it very hard to enter the wilderness without my own version of a "small hospital". I always bring a ton of stuff every time I go out but have only done one-nighters so far. I should also point out that I've never had to use anything more complicated than a band-aid.

So what do seasonned hikers carry for first aid? I'm not worried about weight, my whole kit weights about 1 pound (small price to pay to be ready in the event of an emergency) but my pack is small and I figure I should probably prioritize food. Lol!

rickb
08-18-2007, 19:42
Check this out in the article section:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=96993#post96993

But since you are a paramedic, I'd be interested to hear what you think about was was posted in that thread!

Shutterbug
08-18-2007, 19:55
Hi,

Call me paranoid but as a paramedic, I find it very hard to enter the wilderness without my own version of a "small hospital". I always bring a ton of stuff every time I go out but have only done one-nighters so far. I should also point out that I've never had to use anything more complicated than a band-aid.

So what do seasonned hikers carry for first aid? I'm not worried about weight, my whole kit weights about 1 pound (small price to pay to be ready in the event of an emergency) but my pack is small and I figure I should probably prioritize food. Lol!

I also like to carry a variety of first aid items, but keep the weight down by reducing the number of each item I carry.

I carry:
2 gause pads
4 bandaids
1 ace bandage
1 bottle of liquid skin
12 asprin
12 tylenol tablets
6 imotium tablets
1 needle and thread
1 small tube of zink ointment
1 small tube of posion oak medication
1 package of Fisherman's Friend Cough Drops
1 lip balm
1 tube of sun screen
1 tube of 100% deet
2 benidryl tablets

The item I use most often is the liquid skin. I use the "New Skin" brand. It does a good job of coating blisters.

The most common injuries I have seen on the trail are:
blisters
twisted knees and ankles
minor cuts and bruises

Most people shouldn't bother with the Posion Oak medication. I am particularly sensitive to Posion Oak and find that if I treat the rash soon the complications are much less severe.

Jim Adams
08-18-2007, 20:13
Suzzz,
I've been a paramedic for 30 years and I've found that the best thing that I can carry in my first aid kit is my training! I used to carry an extensive first aid kit but after carrying it for years w/o use, I decided to thoroughly research what I really needed to carry.
1. You need to realize that usually, if you need more than a bandaid, you need an ambulance but mostly for further treatment and transport.
2. You are wearing and usually have a backpack full of bandages.
3. Splints are growing all around you in the wilderness.
4. Superglue, duct tape and a bandage can handle about 80% of the trauma that you will find.

I have pared my kit down to just ibuprofin, immodium, nitro spray, vicodin, superglue, a 14g IV catheter, a 20cc syringe and duct tape for backpacking. For my wilderness canoeing trips where I may really be days or weeks from a medical facility I usually also carry a sutcher kit. If I am with a group or a person with allergies I will also throw in an epi pen. The 14g can be used to relieve tension pneumos or the needle removed and just the catheter placed on the syringe and used to flush eyes and wounds.
The whole kit will fit in a Crown Royal bag.

BTW, drinking the Crown Royal is the best part about assembling the kit!

geek

Don H
08-18-2007, 20:29
Most of my first aid kit is centered around blister care and pain management. I carry a roll of Leucotape http://www.americarx.com/Products/6044.html
This is the only tape I've found that will stay on a blister after walking all day. A tube of Neosporin, Bandaids, Motrin, Tylonal PM and Imodium AD just about cover it.

Suzzz
08-18-2007, 21:04
Rickb: Thanks for suggesting this article. Reading the answers was most interesting and entertaining. Brain surgery on the AT??? Come on... And I hate to be the one braking it to you (WB enthouziasts) but unfortunately for the poor souls suffering an MI on the trail, not an Angina attack but a real MI, aspirin won't do much unless you can get this person to medical attention within the hour. Oh, and not within an hour of you recognizing the signs and symptoms, I mean an hour after onset.

Shutterbug: Your list seems reasonnable. I wouldn't consider sunscreen, bug stuff, and lip baulm as first aid items though. First aid supplies are more geared towards treating the unexpected. That doesn't mean they aren't coming along, but I'd put them in the same category as soap and toothpaste instead. Thanks for the clarification on the Poison Oak, I was gonna ask about that.

The more I think about this, the more I think that any injury that can't be fixed with a band-aid can probably be fixed with gauze and duct tape. An elastic strap could also be handy. For the bigger injuries, one can use gear such as walking poles or sleeping pad to make splints. For the horribly big injuries.... Those who know what to do, will do. Those who don't know what to do, run for help!

Suzzz
08-18-2007, 21:07
Jim Adams.... looks like I'll be buying some Crown Royal very soon.

I had removed the catheter out of my kit. Darn, you just reminded me why I had it in the first place!

greentick
08-22-2007, 01:11
Suzzz,
I have pared my kit down to just ibuprofin, immodium, nitro spray, vicodin, superglue, a 14g IV catheter, a 20cc syringe and duct tape for backpacking. For my wilderness canoeing trips where I may really be days or weeks from a medical facility I usually also carry a sutcher kit. If I am with a group or a person with allergies I will also throw in an epi pen. The 14g can be used to relieve tension pneumos or the needle removed and just the catheter placed on the syringe and used to flush eyes and wounds.
The whole kit will fit in a Crown Royal bag.

BTW, drinking the Crown Royal is the best part about assembling the kit!

geek

Geek, I like your kit. You can include the CR if it is properly labeled "For medicinal purposes only - apply liberally from within."

I put some info together here:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=183728#post183728

Suzzz, I feel your pain. My first section hike included a one pound kit of ace, sam splint, etc that someone else carried. I carried all the drugs and sharps.

Now, my medkit and survival kit are combined in a small ziploc container at 8oz.

You training weighs nothing and is worth the most out there.

Toolshed
08-22-2007, 07:51
[QUOTE=Shutterbug;394039]
I also like to carry a variety of first aid items, but keep the weight down by reducing the number of each item I carry.

I carry:
2 gause pads
4 bandaids
1 ace bandage
1 bottle of liquid skin
12 asprin
12 tylenol tablets
6 imotium tablets
1 needle and thread
1 small tube of zink ointment
1 small tube of posion oak medication
1 package of Fisherman's Friend Cough Drops
1 lip balm
1 tube of sun screen
1 tube of 100% deet
2 benidryl tablets

Trade off the liquid skin for some antacid tabs and the Poison Oak for some hydrocortizone 10 and we could be First Aid Brothers!! :D Great Kits think alike!!!!

Time To Fly 97
08-22-2007, 10:00
Outside med kit:
Plenty of duct tape (wrapped over a fuel bottle) - blisters, sprains, repairs, etc.
Victorianox knife
Bandana - tie a splint, arm sling, etc.
Parachute cord - for hanging bear bags, shoe lace, splint, etc.

Inside Med kit:
Neosporin
Moleskin

Pharmaceuticals ziplock:
Tylenol
Imodium - few tabs
Nyquil - few gelcaps
Benedryl - few tabs

Sm tube vaseline - for chaffing, hot spots
Small compression bandage - for head
Steril wound pads - 2
Guaze pads - 4
band-aids
Chap-stick with SPF
Snake bite kit
Extra Leki inside pole attachment thing
Large needle, heavy thread, plastic thimble

Happy hiking!

TTF

BONUS TIP: 3 minute blister fix:

1. Cut a donut shaped piece of moleskin so that the center hole is big enough to cover the whole area of your blister.

2. Pop the blister with a needle or Victorianox scissors coated with a little neosporin. If necessary, dry the area to ensure that moleskin and tape stick well.

3. Put a little dab of neoporin on top of the blister (but not around the blister)

4. Peel off the backing of the moleskin donut you cut out and stick it over the blister (Obviously, the blister should be aligned with the hole you cut)

5. Take a big piece of duct tape and stick it over the moleskin. Smooth the duct tape to make sure the duct tape has no wrinkles and sticks well.

6. Hit the trail right away before your legs stiffen up.

Footslogger
08-22-2007, 10:20
[quote=Suzzz;394033]Hi,

Call me paranoid but as a paramedic, I find it very hard to enter the wilderness without my own version of a "small hospital".

========================================

Former paramedic myself (prior life) and relate to your comment about the "small hospital" kit. Years ago I guess I saw myself as needing to carry enough to take care of others as well as myself. Over time I decided to focus more on what I might need and allow others to accept responsibility for themselves. Ironically I still end up doling out more first aid to others than for myself ...but at least my first aid kit has gotten a lot lighter/smaller.

Off the top of my head, here is what is in my kit right now:

Hydrogen Peroxide (small - 1 oz screw top nalgene)
Ointments (Triple antibiotic, Cortisone, dyphenhydramine, zinc oxide)
Orajel
2 x 2 gauze pads
Roller gauze
Assorted bandaids/blister pads
Moleskin
Q-tips
Cotton balls
Tweezers
Wound Closure strips
Pepto Bismal tablets (chewables)
Imodium Tablets
Sewing kit

Pretty sure that covers it. I carry sunscreen, a small swiss army knife and some analgesic tabs (Motrin) but not in my first aid kit. Used to carry an Ace bandage (2") but it was bulky and hardly ever used it. I do carry 2 Ace knee braces (without struts) folded flat in the hood of my pack just in case my knees start screaming at me.

'Slogger

Lyle
08-22-2007, 11:05
I've been a paramedic for 20+ years, Instructor/Coordinator for most of those years. . Took my first EMT class to just gain knowlege for my own personal use while backpacking. Ended up making it a career. I am also a certified Wilderness First Aid Instructor. My current reading on this topic is "Wilderness Medicine", fifth edition by Paul S. Auerbach. This is a 2000+ page volume which goes WAY beyond what most consider possible, is intended for those going on true wilderness expiditions.

I say all this not to impress, but to set the stage for my own practices. I agree with what some others have said here. The most important item in any first aid kit, is the training you receive prior to going out! Most everything else can be improvised. My first aid kit includes:

Moleskin/Molefoam
a few bandaids
elastic wrap (ace wrap)
Immodium
Ibuprofen
Duct Tape on walking poles
Mini multi-tool with sissors (sp?)

If going somewhere remote, where resuply within a day or so is not possible I add:

cold tablets
Gold Bond
Zanfel (poison ivy - works GREAT, expensive)
broad spectrum antibiotic
narcotic analgesic

That's about it. Not much in the way of equipment, as has been said, that can all be improvised. Mostly things I would want for comfort if I got sick, things that have been important to my enjoyment in the past. Of these, the only thing I have never used is the antibiotic.

Footslogger
08-22-2007, 11:18
[quote=Lyle;395682] My current reading on this topic is "Wilderness Medicine", fifth edition by Paul S. Auerbach.

==========================================

A little off topic but couldn't help seeing your reference to Paul Auerbach.

Dr Auerback is a well respected authority in Emergency Med/First Aid. Ran into him when I took a Dive Medic course, as he is also a SCUBA diver and has written a lot in the field of Dive Medicine.

'Slogger

JAK
08-22-2007, 11:38
If I was a paramedic and hiked in areas of higher traffic I might carry more, but I hike pretty much alone in low traffic places so I carry much less. I'm hiking more with my daughter now though, so I carry more than before, but you would probably still call social services on me. Just kidding. Last time I was out I just grabbed a small of the shelf kit, but I mean to go through it and pick though it and beef it up a bit. I always throw an extra lighter in there too, and needle and thread and tape so it is my repair kit also. Also I think you have to think outside of the kit when it comes to broken limbs and splints and stuff. I think I'm covered there with my blue foam pad and stuff. I'm a big believer in not having anything out there and not using it, so perhaps next time I'll pretend to break a leg and get myself all splinted up. My daughter should get a kick out of that. Perhaps we'll bring a fife and drum along as well.

JAK
08-22-2007, 11:42
I learned a while ago not to carry deet anywhere in the first aid kit, as absolutely destroyed everything after leaking just a bit. I carry that stuff sealed pretty tight now, and try not to use it.

Footslogger
08-22-2007, 11:48
I learned a while ago not to carry deet anywhere in the first aid kit, as absolutely destroyed everything after leaking just a bit. I carry that stuff sealed pretty tight now, and try not to use it.

======================================

Excellent point !! The small pump spray DEET container I carry leaked a bit on a recent backpacking trip. Luckily I had it in a small freezer strength zip lock BUT ...the DEET effectively melted/removed all the labeling from the outside of the container.

Powerful stuff and probably not a very good candidate for inclusion inside a first aid kit.

'Slogger

FFTorched
08-22-2007, 12:50
All you need in a First Aid Kit:
1 Cat Tourniquet for arterial bleeding
2 Israeli bandages for severe, but not arterial bleeding
Guaze and Ace wrap for all other bleeding
5 IV sets for hangovers and/or dehydration. (Also if it's just a really hot day just give yourself an IV you feel so much cooler afterward.)

Passionphish
08-29-2007, 23:29
I have backpacked all my life. And at thirty one, I carry a very simple kit.

1 bottle of super glue wrapped with medical tape
1 roll of gauze
3 packets of antibiotic ointment
1 pr tweezers
1 epi pen

That's it. I have done two weeks out. I have thought about adding needle and thread. But the super glue will hold for a couple of days. Just make sure you drench it with the ointment. It is what the super glue was made for!!!

halftime
08-30-2007, 00:50
Lotion/Sun Screen
Deet
Antibiotic Ointment
Analgesic Topical Pad (muscle soreness)
Steri-Strips & Gauze Pads (assorted sizes)
Alcohol Pads
Flex Bandage (cut to 1/2 length)
Medical Tape (wrapped around a small BIC lighter)
Mole Skin
OTC Medication (Advil, Benidril, Imodium AD)
Prescription Meds
Sewing Needle & Thread
Ziploc Bag

Total Kit 7 oz

Also carry a small multi-tool knife (Letherman Micra 1.5 oz w/ scissors, tweezers etc.)

mudhead
08-30-2007, 05:20
Would "coband" suffice for the Israeli bandages? I will look for these. 4oz. Good for remote stuff. Always figured I could use a sock and tape, but these sound slick.

BumpJumper
08-30-2007, 12:39
Geek, share the CR with me...I will give you a NEW bag...:D

hopefulhiker
08-30-2007, 21:35
Not really all first aid stuff but just personal stuff that goes into a ziplock..

I carry a needle, duct tape, bandages, gold bond powder,
extra contacts, little tube of antibiotic cream, emegency supply of heavy duty antibiotics, allergy medicine,
bunches of ibuprophren,
an alcohol pad or two, moleskin, benadryl, anti dirareha medicine, sometimes an ace bandage or light weight knee brace,
also glucosomine and little bottle of pure deet, and mutivitamens
Sometimes I carry one of those emegency adrenline shots for bee stings...

pure_mahem
12-31-2007, 16:42
For those looking for something a little more extensive everything listed fits in a 1 quart ziploc and I probably wouldn't leave any of it behind rather have it and not need it. Weighs about a pound.
First Aid Kit
Tweezers
Latex Gloves
3 Tongue Depressors
Benadryl
4 Alcohol Pads
Band-Aids
4 4x4 Gauze Pads
4 2x2 Gauze Pads
Mole Skin
Super Glue
Butterfly Closures
4 Knuckle Bandages
4 Fingertip Bandages
Hemorrhoid Suppository
Ibuprofen
Rolaids
Sport Tape
Micro Pore Tape
Elastic Bandage
Triple Antibiotic Ointment (I bring a whole tube, I seem to use it a lot)
Imodium
Survival Kit
4 Needles
7 Safety Pins
Thread
8 Twist Ties
Small Signal Mirror
Whistle
Emergency Blanket
2 Light Sticks
Pocket Chainsaw
Small Ferocerrium Rod
Single Edge Razor Blade
Duct Tape
12 Snares
Fishing Kit
½ oz Bleach
Finger Nail Clippers
Buck Prince Knife Folder

After reading the issues others have had with deet I think I'll remove the 1/2 oz of bleach and put it in it's own bag maybe with my deet hope they don't chemically react I'll have to test it. I know your all talking about first aid but my kit is included in the same 1 quart bag as my survival kit I find them interlinked wouldn't have one with out the other.

take-a-knee
12-31-2007, 19:51
Would "coband" suffice for the Israeli bandages? I will look for these. 4oz. Good for remote stuff. Always figured I could use a sock and tape, but these sound slick.

No, coban doesn't store well, it also has a short shelf life, and it won't replace an Israeli bandage, not that you'd ever need either on the AT, unless you plan to kick the doors in at all the hostels you visit.

Bob S
12-31-2007, 20:04
My dad was a fireman Paramedic for 41-years, he beat into me the importance of a extensive first aid kit. I don’t use all the things I have in it, but rest assures the first time I take things out of it, I will need them. Some things I believe you should just have with you. A good first aid kit is one.

You should see the size of the first aid kit I have in my van, I’ll bet some doctors don’t have a kit like it.….

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-31-2007, 21:08
Since the AT isn't a remote trail, I carry a minimal first aid kit. You're never all that far from a road or help.

wrongway_08
12-31-2007, 21:17
You dont need much.
- couple of bandaids to use as stiches, cover hot spots, temp patch holes in down jackets, use to stabilize a branch over a broken finger....
- tweezers
- scissors, small ones like the ones for cuticles (sp?)
- small, single dose eye cleaner - for clearing crap outta eyes or cuts
- small bandage for ankles, wrist, keep a branch one a broken leg, use to help a broken pack strap.
- Lighter, matches in cold weather, broken leg and no heat = trouble

You can take care of most things with this stuff.
As far a major wounds go:
- t-shirt as a wrap,
- twigs or large branch for broken parts

No need to carry too much, most hurts will fix themselves and the ones that cant...... well you'll get a ride in a cool heli anyways.

e-doc
01-14-2008, 01:11
Am a Dr. Usually have a bandana, I think some bandaids, chapstick, duct tape and moleskin. Maybe some Ibuprofen. Most injuries are minor, some lacerations or fractures. If someone takes a major hit and has multi-system trauma it really won't matter as they likely will not survive.

dessertrat
01-14-2008, 12:17
Duct tape and gauze can be used to make a bandaid of any size. I have never understood carrying umpteen bandaids, most of which are too small to be of any use anyway.

What I will not stint on is secondskin or some other sort of blister treatment better than duct tape or moleskin.

88BlueGT
02-07-2008, 02:14
You dont need much.
- couple of bandaids to use as stiches, cover hot spots, temp patch holes in down jackets, use to stabilize a branch over a broken finger....
- tweezers
- scissors, small ones like the ones for cuticles (sp?)
- small, single dose eye cleaner - for clearing crap outta eyes or cuts
- small bandage for ankles, wrist, keep a branch one a broken leg, use to help a broken pack strap.
- Lighter, matches in cold weather, broken leg and no heat = trouble

You can take care of most things with this stuff.
As far a major wounds go:
- t-shirt as a wrap,
- twigs or large branch for broken parts

No need to carry too much, most hurts will fix themselves and the ones that cant...... well you'll get a ride in a cool heli anyways.

I agree. If your situation is that serious that you need all sorts of medical supplies you should be heading off the trail anyway. My med kit started out at about a 1lb, than dropped it down the 9oz and its still severely overpacked (not overpacked but just too much of each thing). I plan on getting it down to about 4-5. I know a med kit is something that should not be "skimmped" on but the reality is, your not in the middle of the desert. Your on the AT and help is never really that far away.

hopefulhiker
02-07-2008, 07:58
I carried

hopefulhiker
02-07-2008, 08:04
I carried
Gold Bond powder
a needle and thread,
duct tape,
antiobiotic cream..
some pre prescribed antibiotics, ust in case of infection,ended up using them too..
some benydryl.

During Bee season I carried one of those shots for bee allergies.
moleskin, guaze and bliterpac bandages..

a bunch of ibuprophren

The Old Fhart
02-07-2008, 08:26
Wrongway_08-"...As far a major wounds go:
- t-shirt as a wrap,..."
E-doc-"Am a Dr. Usually have a bandana,... Keep in mind that most of the materials used by hikers today are hydrophobic synthetic materials like polypro and do not work well on wounds because they don't absorb blood, and they aren't anywhere near sterile. If the bandana or shirt is cotton it would work well on wounds but not be so good for hiking. Commercial dressings would be best and some hikers carry sanitary napkins for wounds.

Hooch
02-07-2008, 09:31
Hi,

So what do seasonned hikers carry for first aid? I'm not worried about weight, my whole kit weights about 1 pound (small price to pay to be ready in the event of an emergency) but my pack is small and I figure I should probably prioritize food. Lol!Ok, you being a paramedic, I can kinda-sorta see the paranoia that would lead you to carry a huge first aid kit to be ready for emergencies. Gotta leap into action and all that good stuff. :D As a nurse, I thought long and hard about what would go in mine, since I generally don't like pre-filled first aid kits. What I came to was almost, but not quite bare bones. They include:

2 4x4 gauze pads
1 vial Mastisol
5 individual use packs of triple antibiotic ointment
1 22 guage needle
1 16 guage Angiocath
1 small roll of Kerlix
1 Albuterol MDI (My hiking partner is asthmatic, for rescue purposes only)
10 assorted Band-Aids
1 small bottle Ibuprofen
6 Immodium caps
4 Benadryl caps
1 small container sun screen
1 tube lip balm
1 extra bandana

For me, this is what works, or at least with what I feel comfortable. The only thing I've ever had to use from my kit is the ibuprofen. I hope it stays that way. There are plenty of things in your pack that can be used to stop the bleeding in case you don't have gauze or Kerlix. The point was made that wha tis in your pack is far from sterile. That is true, but priority isn't on sterilization and keeping the injured hiker infection free. The priority is on stopping the bleeding, period. Irrigate or clean the wound if you can, but if not, let the professionals handle it when you get the patient to definitive medical care. A bandana is a quick, easy pressure dressing.

A word about medications of any kind, for those who keep them in your kit. Make sure you periodically check the expiration dates on things that you may use infrequently, such as Immodium, Benadryl, aspirin, Tylenol, etc. The other folks here who are medical professionals (nurses, docs, paramedics, etc.) can tell you that the longer past its expiration date a medication is, the greater its efficacy is reduced. Also, another word in regard to medications. I'm sure it goes without saying, but if you are on medications for any chronic condition such as diabetes, hypertension, asthma, etc, make sure you take a supply large enough to last you for the duration of your trip plus an extra day or 2. And that's my $0.02. :D

Roots
02-07-2008, 09:45
some hikers carry sanitary napkins for wounds.

I carry them anyway, so I do consider them as part of my 1st aid. The rest of my 1st aid consists of:
duct tape
toilet paper-Charmin mega strong
4packs of neosporin
ace bandage wrap
6 safety needles(3 for the wrap)
outdoor thread(a lot stronger than the regular)
sewing needle
tums(1 roll-for the anti-acid and calcium)
ClaritinD-allergies and anit-histimine for bites and stings
VITAMIN I--got to have this one!!
tweezers
hand sanitizer
I also carry muti-vitamin, glaucosomine/sulfate, and fiber.

gold bond
02-07-2008, 11:07
Wow...I'm very minimal on my first aid kit compared to you guys but the one thing I do carry is a rescue breathing mask with a one way valve. It has a water proof case that straps on the outside of my pack.

DesertMTB
02-07-2008, 13:54
A little bit of duct tape is all I take.