PDA

View Full Version : contemplating hiking the 100 mile wilderness

Kirby
08-18-2007, 20:38
Hey everyone,

I am contemplating hiking the 100 mile wilderness starting this weekend. I was wondering what advice you would give someone for this section of the trail. This is going to my first major over night backpacking trip, and potentially my only major shakedown hike before my thru hike in 08. I determined that if i can handle the mental and physical apspects of the 100 mile wilderness, I have the potential to handle the rest of the trail.

All advice if welcome, and for those of you who would like to join, let me know,

Kirby

Jim Adams
08-18-2007, 20:48
As long as you use common sense, long distance backpacking is no different than short weekend distances. Have fun and think about how cool your thru hike will be!

geek

Pedaling Fool
08-18-2007, 20:49
The 100 mile wilderness is actually fairly flat and pretty easy. The only problem I could see would be if it's been raining a lot lately. But it's good for some over-nighters.

I would say it's also good for secluision, but I don't know about that anymore. I've been through there twice. Once back in '81 and then last year. It was truly a wilderness in '81, but, to my dismay, last year I was surprised at how many day-hikers I ran into. And then there was Gulf Hagas, which is basically a tourist trap nowadays; all-in-all it's still pretty secluded, considering... Have a good Hike and don't forget to give us a trail report with pics.

7Sisters
08-18-2007, 23:32
I would not use this as a guage to say you can do the rest of the trail. There really isn't much comparison to 6 days of backpacking versus a thru or spending several weeks backpacking.

The advice I would give you is to enjoy the experience of the 100 mile wilderness. Take your time crossing the streams/rivers. Although it's not a secluded experience, it's still beautiful.

There aren't many tough climbs, some small steep ones, but no sustained climbs. Bring some bug spray if there is a chance of rain as it will be real buggy.

Shutterbug
08-18-2007, 23:53
Hey everyone,

I am contemplating hiking the 100 mile wilderness starting this weekend. I was wondering what advice you would give someone for this section of the trail. This is going to my first major over night backpacking trip, and potentially my only major shakedown hike before my thru hike in 08. I determined that if i can handle the mental and physical apspects of the 100 mile wilderness, I have the potential to handle the rest of the trail.

All advice if welcome, and for those of you who would like to join, let me know,

Kirby

The 100 Mile Wilderness is a great place to hike in the fall. I have hiked all or part of it in each of the last three years.

The main advice I would give is to remember to pack lightly, but make sure you have enough food. North bound thru hikers usually make it through the 100 Mile Wilderness in 6 days, but south bounders and section hikers usually take longer. Last year I met a southbounder who was still three days from Monson and was already out of food.

A lot of people on this site disagree, but I enjoy stopping at Whitehouse Landing..

Lone Wolf
08-19-2007, 01:14
Hey everyone,

Kirby

you need no advice. go and learn

woodsy
08-19-2007, 07:59
but, to my dismay, last year I was surprised at how many day-hikers I ran into.
Wow, what a bummer!:rolleyes: Had we known you were coming through, we could have put a ban on day hikers so as to not ruin your trip.! Probably just locals out enjoying THEIR state.

Jaybird
08-19-2007, 08:54
Hey everyone,
I am contemplating hiking the 100 mile wilderness starting this weekend. I was wondering what advice you would give someone for this section of the trail. This is going to my first major over night backpacking trip, and potentially my only major shakedown hike before my thru hike in 08. .................................................. .............................Kirby

Yo Kirby

say HELLO to my bud, "Jigsaw" ...he's hiking the Long Trail too.:D

peakbagger
08-19-2007, 09:09
I would suggest you start at Abol bridge and hike south. Hiking North is aore impressive but the "hardest" section is the first few days out of Monson which would be your first days on the trail. By starting at Abol and going south, you have a couple of days of fairly flat hiking to get in shape.

BTW, keep a discreet eye on how the thru hikers do things when you are at the shelters and the equipment they carry. No need to get in their face, unless they want to talk buyt its a good way to learn what works and waht doesnt.

BTW, the 100 mile wilderness is quite busy this time of year, make sure you carry something to sleep under in case the shelters are full.

Pedaling Fool
08-19-2007, 10:34
Wow, what a bummer!:rolleyes: Had we known you were coming through, we could have put a ban on day hikers so as to not ruin your trip.! Probably just locals out enjoying THEIR state.
I'll be sure to notify you next time.

Roland
08-19-2007, 11:06
The 100 mile wilderness is actually fairly flat and pretty easy. The only problem I could see would be if it's been raining a lot lately. But it's good for some over-nighters.

I would say it's also good for secluision, but I don't know about that anymore. I've been through there twice. Once back in '81 and then last year. It was truly a wilderness in '81, but, to my dismay, last year I was surprised at how many day-hikers I ran into. And then there was Gulf Hagas, which is basically a tourist trap nowadays; all-in-all it's still pretty secluded, considering... Have a good Hike and don't forget to give us a trail report with pics.

Woodsy,

Maybe it's because I don't live in Maine, but I don't see John Gault's post as a slam to Maine people.

In his post he made 2 main points.
1. The 100 Mile Wilderness is a relatively flat and easy section.

He qualifies this by adding that the difficulty of the trail could be impacted by the level of recent rains.
2. The 100 Mile Wilderness is secluded.
He qualifies this by noting the trail had more traffic in 1996 than he saw in 1981, but it still relatively secluded.I started hiking in the early 1970s. There is far more traffic in the Whites and the Mahoosucs today, than there was 30 years ago (especially in the winter). So, it doesn't surprise me that the same is true about the 100 Mile Wilderness. Anyone returning to the Wilderness, after a 15 year hiatus, would likely notice the change. And if their reason for hiking the Wilderness is to relive their experience, 15 years prior, they might be disappointed to see how things have changed.

That's not a slam to anyone. It's a sign of changing times.

I must admit that I, too, have sometimes been aggravated by a parade of hikers I meet along the ridges of the Presidentials. (I deem them all to be day-hikers from a state immediately South of here. ;) )

I would like to have those ridges to myself, as I often did 35 years ago. But then, when I see young children on the trail, I am thankful that their young mothers and fathers are cultivating an appreciation for the outdoors, in the next generation. Without continued support, the trails we love will be lost.

woodsy
08-19-2007, 11:33
Thanks Roland for your interpretation of John's post and my response to his post.:)
Now back to Kirby's thread. I apologize for hijacking it.

Kirby
08-20-2007, 12:04
Life happens.

Kirby

Actuary
08-21-2007, 12:08
The main advice I would give is to remember to pack lightly, but make sure you have enough food.

A lot of people on this site disagree, but I enjoy stopping at Whitehouse Landing..

Definitely agree with Shutterbug about packing lightly although I think it's quite easy to overestimate how much food you need; I probably many lbs of excess food. Last year my friend and I probably started out in Monson with 50+ lb packs and were destroyed during the first few days - the incessant rain on Day 2 certainly didn't help through the rock filled Chairback range. My friend had to drop out after 30 miles with knee pain that wouldn't go away, slowing him to a <1 mph pace and I pushed myself with the aid of vitamin-I through the remaining 70. I would certainly suggest going Southbound as the last 30 miles are a piece of cake. Pretty much everything after the Chairbacks was ridiculously easier, I just wish I knew that ahead of time so I didn't straint myself during those first 30 miles.

Btw, Shutterbug, we met you towards the end of the Chairbacks at one of the shelters when my friend knew he had to drop out. You offered to let us borrow your SAT phone and gave us the # of that place in Monson. Thanks again for your generosity.

Johnny Thunder
08-21-2007, 13:01
Bug head-net and some sort of brimmed hat to keep it away from your face. Bug spray and long sleeves that you could wear durring the day if necessary.

When I hiked the 100 Mile Wilderness 10 years ago it must have been a bad bug year.

As pointed out above be mindful of what the thru's are carrying. Be mindful of your interaction. Realize that this is the "beginning" of your journey and the end to theirs.

As much as it's supposed to be deslote and removed you'll have no issues getting off the trail if something goes wrong. Hell, if Bryson could do it so can you.

Johnny

Footslogger
08-21-2007, 13:04
Hey everyone,

Kirby

==================================

If you've got the time, take it slow. There are loads of spots to camp that normally a hiker walks right by because of the "deadline" interms of reaching Katahdin. Carrying a lot of food is a drag but next time I hike the wilderness I'm going to plan on at least 8 days.

'Slogger

The Old Fhart
08-21-2007, 15:14
John Gault-"The 100 mile wilderness is actually fairly flat and pretty easy."I think you're getting the 100-mile "wilderness" confused with Florida.:D Elevations range from about 500' to 3600' and I've never heard anyone who has hiked the section refer to the Barren-Chairback area as 'flat', or 'easy'.

I've done this section between 4.5 and 7 days several times and I'd definitely recommend planning on 7 days and enjoying it. There are lots of hikers in the 100-mile "wilderness" this time of year and although I enjoy meeting everyone on the trail, don't plan on using the shelters, they can be full. There are plenty of great tent spots, some with fantastic views.

JAK
08-21-2007, 15:43
16 eh Kirby. Right on.

Here's a suggestion. Take it for what it's worth. I haven't done it myself.

You might plan on stopping for a full day somewhere near the middle of the trip. By doing so it would give you that extra day of food and time to work with, but that's not the main idea. The idea is that it might be a good way to develop that ability we all need to just stop and rest and think things over if we need to. Like if we get lost or just turned around or something unexpected like some slight sickness or injury or a gear failure; or if we might need to store up some energy or dry out clothes before a storm; or if we just need to mentally regroup ourselves. Often we want to speed up when that sort of stuff happens. Fight or Flight. I'm not saying you neccessarily need to stop for an entire day to regroup, but it might be fun to do sometime for practice, especially when we just want to keep going.

Remember the deepest you can go in the woods is only half way,
but with hills, when your only half way up your neither up nor down.

Actuary
08-21-2007, 16:30
Be mindful of your interaction. Realize that this is the "beginning" of your journey and the end to theirs.

Are you implying in general that thru-hikers look down upon section hikers just doing the 100 miles? Last year, I received a few sarcastic comments and surly, aloof attitudes from a clique of thru-hikers that was coming along at the same time as me. My friend and I certainly gave no reason to offend them. We were simply friendly and engaging yet they wanted none of it. It definitely annoyed me.

hopefulhiker
08-21-2007, 16:54
The squirrels and mice are viscous in the 100 mile wilderness. I hiked it in the fall. It was beautiful. Carry an extra day of food.

Johnny Thunder
08-21-2007, 17:03
Are you implying in general that thru-hikers look down upon section hikers just doing the 100 miles? Last year, I received a few sarcastic comments and surly, aloof attitudes from a clique of thru-hikers that was coming along at the same time as me. My friend and I certainly gave no reason to offend them. We were simply friendly and engaging yet they wanted none of it. It definitely annoyed me.

Not saying that at all, and I am supremely sorry for your experience...having not thru hiked (yet) I can only speak as a section hiker.

The situation is this: As a 12 year old scout all I thought of was gear, boobs, punk music, and boobs. Probably more boobs than anything else; however, due to the laws of decorum I probably made more comments on gear than the fairer sex.

Now, think of what might be going through the mind of a thru-hiker having spent 5 or 6 months in the woods and walked over 2000 miles. Some sadness for things ending...maybe some frustration. Whatever. I've never hiked it so I don't know.

Duder, I'm not justifying anything because no matter what there are jerks everywhere. I was just trying to warn the 'ol Kirby to be mindful of how he interacted with them.

Realize that I'm not accusing Kirby of sharing my mindset...Hell, I started writing this post 5 minutes ago and got distracted by one manner of scrumptiousness or another. Meanwhile, Kirb's probably closely monitoring his fuel question post (I vote for 16 ounces in a bottle with a plastic shot glass. Sometimes parties just happen). Everybody's got their own manner of geekery.

5 minutes later...geeze I need to grow up.

My circuitous point is this: I'll never understand why our scout leaders took us into the 100 mile woods the last week of August and expected the same open armed acceptance that we had received on the Southern LT 13 months prior. Leading the group now I would have given them all a pep talk about how thru hikers might not want to talk about their backpacks anymore. Or how hikers might have a mixed bag of emotions like their puppy was dying but it's their birthday. or, how they might be sprinting through to meet friends for a scheduled summit.

I'm not implying anything about hikers except that some hikers will have patience for talking and others won't.

Walk down the street in any major city and try to ask a complete stranger about their shirt. Or the weather. Or whatever. Some will tell you. Others won't. It's just a fact of life.

Johnny

Kirby, I realize you're only 16 so please disregard my above comment. I'll call a 5 year moratorium on spontaneous parties. Deal? -JP

Pedaling Fool
08-21-2007, 17:06
The squirrels and mice are viscous in the 100 mile wilderness. I hiked it in the fall. It was beautiful. Carry an extra day of food.
I know some of those red squirrels threw stuff at me from the trees. Crazy squirrels in Maine.