PDA

View Full Version : Planning a Hike from Pennsylvania to Harper's Ferry

Coogen
08-19-2007, 02:23
Dear Trailers,

I am trying to organize a hike for 4 days from Pennsylvania to Harper's Ferry. I have only hiked a section of the beloved Trial in Maryland as far north as Annapolis Rock, Maryland. I am looking for a place to catch a trail head for the Trial in Pennsylvania that would permit me to reach Harper's Ferry within the alloted 4 days. Based on my research, Pine Grove Furnance State Park or Caledonia State Park look like good starting points although I've never been to either of them.

Any suggestions or imput is greatly appreciated in advance. Happy Hiking! Coogen

camojack
08-19-2007, 03:14
Dear Trailers,

I am trying to organize a hike for 4 days from Pennsylvania to Harper's Ferry. I have only hiked a section of the beloved Trial in Maryland as far north as Annapolis Rock, Maryland. I am looking for a place to catch a trail head for the Trial in Pennsylvania that would permit me to reach Harper's Ferry within the alloted 4 days. Based on my research, Pine Grove Furnance State Park or Caledonia State Park look like good starting points although I've never been to either of them.

Any suggestions or imput is greatly appreciated in advance. Happy Hiking! Coogen

I'm not actually suggesting that you do it, but some folks do what is called the "Maryland Challenge"...all 41 miles in MD in a 24 period.

Anyway, I'd recommend starting at PenMar Park. :-?

Here's a website with parking details:
Parking on the PA Appalachian Trail (http://rohland.homedns.org/at/state/state_detail/AT_state_detail.aspx?stateID=1%20&sectionID=14)

Coogen
08-20-2007, 10:39
Thanks camo jack. The 4 days is just a considered time frame and not set in stone.

camojack
08-20-2007, 10:47
Thanks camo jack. The 4 days is just a considered time frame and not set in stone.

No worries; by all means: Hike Your Own Hike.

Four days for Maryland should be plenty... :o

Crazy Legs
08-20-2007, 14:36
I plan on hiking from Duncannon, PA to Harpers Ferry in October with about a 6 day window. I'll be dropped off Sunday afternoon, and hope to finish the following Saturday.

Depending on your hike conditioning level, Boiling Springs may work for a start place for ya'. I don't hike fast, but I also don't stop much and tend to cover 20+ miles this way relatively smoothly/easily. But, that's my style. Not sure what your's is to say what's the best start point for a round-a-bout 4 day hike.

When are you lookin' at going?

Coogen
08-22-2007, 23:24
Hey Crazy Legs,

I havent hammered it down just yet. I am trying to get a few others out on the trail as well. That is the problem with "organizing." Too many committemnt phobes.

rday
08-25-2007, 22:34
I'd be interested to know when you're planning to go as well. I'm right down the road from you, maybe we could carpool if our schedules work out?

Coogen
09-13-2007, 17:41
That may be a plan

Jester2000
09-13-2007, 17:45
If you need to leave your car(s), Pine Grove might be a better option. If that's not a concern, but distance is, Pen Mar, as Camojack suggested, is a good start.