PDA

View Full Version : New LT endurance record set

warren doyle
08-19-2007, 09:38
I would like to announce that a new endurance record (unsupported) of the LT has recently been set.

24 y.o. Jennifer Pharr recently completed an unsupported end-to-end hike of the LT in 7 days 15 hours and 40 minutes.

She started at the VT/MA border at 5am on Wednesday August 1st and reached the VT/Canadian border at 8:40pm on Wednesday August 8th. Her longest day was 45 miles and her shortest day was 27 miles.

She broke the existing unsupported LT record of 8 days 13 hours and 25 minutes that I set 29 years ago in 1978.

This is a remarkable achievement and I assume that this is the first time that a long distance trail endurance record, either unsupported or supported, has been set by a woman.

Jennifer, a college athlete/literature major, attended the Appalachian Trail Institute in December 2004 and went on to complete NOBO thru-hikes of the AT in 2005 and the PCT in 2006. She is presently in the final writing stages of a book concerning her AT/PCT hikes.

She is planning on setting an unsupported woman's endurance record of the AT next summer. Having 'coached/mentored' her a little bit, I feel she has all the necessary attributes (ie. level of comfort; threshold of pain; temperament) to be a successful long distance endurance hiker.

Of course, she will also have to endure the skepticism/criticism from other hikers but I, and other members of the hiking community who have experienced the particular satisfactions/rewards of long distance endurance hiking, will be supportive of her endeavors.

gypsy
08-19-2007, 09:45
Wow, that's pretty cool! I must have blinked or been in a town when she went through;) I bet she would like to do ultrarunning. Hey Warren, weren't you in Vermont not too long ago?

emerald
08-19-2007, 10:28
Thanks for reporting on Jennifer's accomplishment. Haven't most endurance End-to-End attempts and records in the past begun at the L.T.'s northern terminus?

warren doyle
08-19-2007, 10:41
Shades of Gray: Most of the recent record-setting supported end-to-end LT hikes were north to south ventures: Courtney Campbell; David Horton; Ed Kostak and the present supported LT endurance record holder - Ted Keizer (sp.?)a.k.a. CaveDog.

Gypsy: You are correct. I hiked from Manchester Center,VT to Williamstown, MA on 7/20. 21, 22.

StarLyte
08-19-2007, 10:59
Outstanding !

Thanks for posting Warren !

warren doyle
08-19-2007, 12:05
Marsha,

It is easier to post on WhiteBlaze now due to the new editorial policy (sort of like the relief a child feels when he can go out and play at recess without the fear of being bullied).

rickb
08-19-2007, 12:44
Very cool. How does her time compare to the supported record? And how many times did she leave the LT (and how), if at all, to resupply.

Rick B

Phreak
08-19-2007, 13:11
Great job!

As mentioned in the previous post, I'd be curious to know how many times she resupplied, her pack weight, did she exclusively hike the trail or was there periods of running?

warren doyle
08-19-2007, 13:25
The supported endurance record for the Long Trail is held by Ted Keizer (Cave Dog) who ran/walked the trail from north to south in 4 days 13 hours and 15 minutes in 2004 (his second attempt). He has a very good website - just google 'Cave Dog'.

As for Jennifer, I don't know about her pack weight. She carried no shelter (slept under the stars her first five nights and in shelters the last three nights due to rainy/wet weather).

She walked the entire way.

She had three resupplies:

Long Trail Inn - got a ride from a day hiker

Jonesville - walked to the PO

Long Trail Tavern (Johnson) - ride in from a hiker; ride back from the least inebriated bar patron.

She wrote a wonderful poem about her adventure.

emerald
08-19-2007, 14:00
She wrote a wonderful poem about her adventure.

Warren, does she post here? It would be wonderful if she were to share her experiences with us as well as her poem. Would you ask her to contribute to this thread?

Phreak
08-19-2007, 14:08
Warren, does she post here? It would be wonderful if she were to share her experiences with us as well as her poem. Would you ask her to contribute to this thread?
Ditto! Or please let us know if she has her own website.

warren doyle
08-19-2007, 15:05
I have informed her that I started a thread on WhiteBlaze. The rest is up to her.

One of the legacies, out of many that are positive, of WhiteBlaze in its fledging years (mirroring the general cyber mean-spriritedness in many internet forums) was the tendency of the administrators to allow personal attacks/name calling to go unchallenged. Who knows how many good-hearted people who don't want to be the victims of unwarranted bullying have avoided posting in this medium.

The last month or so has seen a trend toward more civility in the expressing of differing opinions on this valuable website. May it continue.

Tramper Al
08-19-2007, 15:27
It is easier to post on WhiteBlaze now due to the new editorial policy (sort of like the relief a child feels when he can go out and play at recess without the fear of being bullied).

One of the legacies, out of many that are positive, of WhiteBlaze in its fledging years (mirroring the general cyber mean-spriritedness in many internet forums) was the tendency of the administrators to allow personal attacks/name calling to go unchallenged. Who knows how many good-hearted people who don't want to be the victims of unwarranted bullying have avoided posting in this medium.

Right, so in just a few hours that's two irrelevant and unprovoked posts complaining about personal problems getting along with others on a hiking BBS. What, years ago?

My understanding is that this forum is for and about Vermont's Long Trail and those who hike it's white blazes.

Thank you.

warren doyle
08-19-2007, 15:37
Your interpretation, not mine. I felt they were relevant in responding to the two posts I was responding to.

And, your understanding is correct.

gsingjane
08-19-2007, 16:16
Wow, that is just amazing. We attended a lecture given last year by a couple (husband and wife) who thru-hiked the LT in 13 days. They are both outstanding ultra and trail runners here in CT and I really thought that might be just about the limits of what a human could do. Now, another hiker has done it in almost 1/2 the time!

I don't know as this is something I'd try, even loving long-distance running as much as I do, but I sure can appreciate the effort (and am also proud that it is a woman!).

Jane in CT

Nightwalker
08-20-2007, 22:29
Thanks for the post, WD. And thanks for making it plain that the stupid, mean stuff is going away here. I, unfortunately, have been one of those stupid, mean people at times in the past.

I recently pretty much gave up here because I didn't think that I could keep reading and posting without going back to my old ways. Hopefully we can all just Rodney King. T'would be way cool, yup, as I really love this place. When I'm not hiking, I really like to be here, but only when here is pleasant.

And no, mentioning it twice probably wasn't overdoing it. Three times, however...

:)

TJ aka Teej
08-21-2007, 07:34
Having 'coached/mentored' her a little bit, I feel she has all the necessary attributes (ie. level of comfort; threshold of pain; temperament) to be a successful long distance endurance hiker.

You as her "coach/mentor" "feel she has the necessary attributes to be a successful long distance endurance hiker"?

She already is one, Warren.

Marta
08-21-2007, 07:43
Congratulations to Jennifer! What an accomplishment! Best wishes for next year's AT attempt.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-21-2007, 08:53
Congrats to Jennifer for her accomplishment

jenpharr
08-21-2007, 10:46
Hey guys, thanks for all your kind words and encouragement. And a big thanks to Warren for his acknowledgement and also his support before and after my trip. I would have posted sooner, but I just joined white blaze and had to work out some of the kinks with the admin (thanks at troll!). I had an amazing time on the Long Trail and loved the challenge of pushing myself to the limits each and everyday I was out there. It is truly an amazing trail with a lot of fun obstacles at the end - especially in the rain. I think I have a record which is great! Warren felt I might have set it for both men and women, but on trail journals it was suggested that a male hiker named Parm hiked it in under 7 days in 03'. That's incredible, and my hat definitely goes off to him! It's always nice to be the first or only person to have accomplished something, but as any endurance hiker knows, it's not about the records. Being a "record holder" would never provide sufficient motivation to overcome sprained ankles, swollen knees, bee stings and electrical storms (all of which are very vivid memories of my Long Trail hike), instead the desire to overcome adversity, enjoy creation, and push mental, physical, and emotional boundaries was what personally made the endeavor rewarding. I did write a quick poem to sum up my experiences on the trail, and I tried to add it as an attachment to this post, but if it does not come through and you would like to read it then I would be more than happy to e-mail it to you. Thanks again for all the kind words. Hope to meet some of you all on the trail in future. best, jp

TJ aka Teej
08-21-2007, 11:58
Thanks again for all the kind words. Hope to meet some of you all on the trail in future. best, jp
:welcome to WhiteBlaze jenpharr!

gypsy
08-21-2007, 13:06
That was a really awesome poem Jen! Good for you!:banana

Jaybird
08-21-2007, 13:07
I would like to announce that a new endurance record (unsupported) of the LT has recently been set.
24 y.o. Jennifer Pharr recently completed an unsupported end-to-end hike of the LT in 7 days 15 hours and 40 minutes..........................
She started at the VT/MA border at 5am on Wednesday August 1st and reached the VT/Canadian border at 8:40pm on Wednesday August 8th. Her longest day was 45 miles and her shortest day was 27 miles.

WOW!

Congrats to Jennifer!

Thanks for posting this Warren.:D

Sly
08-21-2007, 13:15
Kludos to Jennifer but... there's an understanding in order to set the "unsupported endurance" record on the JMT, it means no resupply at all. No mail drops, no restaurant meals, etc. Personally I think that's rediculous, but it reaffirms my conviction that hiking rules are stupid.

emerald
08-21-2007, 14:16
Thanks, Jennifer, for sharing your poem. I hope you will feel encouraged to contribute more here.:)

Mags
08-21-2007, 14:46
Record or not..a hike of the LT is an awesome experience. Tough little trail!

:welcome

John B
08-21-2007, 14:50
Kludos to Jennifer but... there's an understanding in order to set the "unsupported endurance" record on the JMT, it means no resupply at all. No mail drops, no restaurant meals, etc. Personally I think that's rediculous, but it reaffirms my conviction that hiking rules are stupid.

I thought that a supported hike meant that someone was following you around in a van or something and maybe fixing your meals at road crossings and having supplies of various sorts ready for you. I thought that an unsupported hike was when you did it all on your own -- being responsible for going into town or a post office to get your stuff, fixing your own meals, and not having someone help you out at road crossings or wherever. Am I way off base on this? It sounded to me like she did an unsupported endurance hike.

BTW, congrats on your hike, Jennifer. I think what you did was very cool.

Lone Wolf
08-21-2007, 14:51
..a hike of the LT is an awesome experience. Tough little trail!

i don't know about awesome. aggravating is more like it

Mags
08-21-2007, 15:50

I dunno. I liked the idea of something more difficult than any of the other trails(mile for mile) I've done. Sometimes its good just to get your body spanked (metaphorically speaking). Of course, I have not done a thru-hike on an Eastern trail in 8 years... :)

TJ aka Teej
08-22-2007, 07:56
I thought that a supported hike meant...
After an all night campfire a few Gatherings ago it was declared that only naked bushwhacking can be called a 'completely unsupported' backpacking trip. After all, what is 'support'? Words of encouragement from fellow hikers? A shared campfire, shelter, or snack? A cleared, marked, and maintained trail? In the end, these 'records' are merely an invention of the 'holder', who has (hopefully before starting out) decided what rules and conditions they were willing to follow. And since there can be no official hiking records (after all, were you paced? how much mud? how dry? how many re-los and blowdowns, shade or heat waves, or other changes between 'record' hikes? In the end, no hiker ever hikes exactly the same hike another has. I'm fine with congratulating any one who feels a sense of accomplishment or achievement after a hike of any kind.

warren doyle
08-22-2007, 17:15
Among the small group of long distance trail endurance record holders/attempters, there seems to be a common agreement of what constitutes 'support' and 'no support'.

Support means when the record attempter plans to have vehicle support every day for most of the trip. They have worked out before they start a schedule for people to meet/follow them along the way for most of the time they are on the trail.

No support means that the hiker (s) are on their own and have not planned to meet regularly with people along the way to be driven into towns and to be brought supplies to the trail/road crossing. An unsupported hiker has to either hitch/walk into town or take the chance of finding a random day hiker to offer transportation to and from the trail.

Jennifer chose to do the LT without any planned support. I was impressed with how truly she was out there 'on her own'.

I'm glad she decided to post on WB, along with sharing her poem.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-22-2007, 17:22
Welcome, Jennifer, and thanks for sharing your poem.

JoeHiker
08-23-2007, 15:19

I kind of like the challenge. Especially the northern sections are just plain mean. It's you against the trail. Good stuff.

When I tried it, it rained for the first 8 straight days. Parts of it were more like mountain climbing than hiking. Eventually the snow knocked me out.

But I'm going back. I'm gonna beat that damn trail if it kills me. Not in 7 days or anything though.

Jan LiteShoe
08-23-2007, 15:47
I dunno. I liked the idea of something more difficult than any of the other trails(mile for mile) I've done. Sometimes its good just to get your body spanked (metaphorically speaking). :)

It sure spanked me. In a metaphorical way.

Mags
08-23-2007, 15:50
It sure spanked me. In a metaphorical way.

I hear there are websites for those who are interested in a literal, as opposed to metaphorical, spanking... So I've heard.

pedxing
08-28-2007, 13:57
Having just completed my second LT hike yesterday (From the start of Pine Cobble in Mass to Canada and out Journey's End in a more typical 19 days), I'm definitely impressed and pleased Jenn. There is something about unsupported records that particularly appeals to me (not to take anything away from Ted Keizer).

I did notice Warren's register entry during my trip in which he noted his long drive up from the South.

Jan LiteShoe
08-28-2007, 18:37
Having just completed my second LT hike yesterday (From the start of Pine Cobble in Mass to Canada and out Journey's End in a more typical 19 days), I'm definitely impressed and pleased Jenn. There is something about unsupported records that particularly appeals to me (not to take anything away from Ted Keizer).

I did notice Warren's register entry during my trip in which he noted his long drive up from the South.

Am I a weenie if I still think even 19 days is a short time?
Twenty seven days, it took us. Granted, it was my first long distance hike, but even so it nearly killed me. Metaphorically speaking.

I can't imagine your feat. Jenn. If Sly was here, he'd say "Kludos."

Jan LiteShoe
08-28-2007, 18:39
If Sly was here, he'd say "Kludos."

Oh wait, he already did.

Crash! Bang!
01-20-2008, 07:21
thats not hiking. thats off-road speed-walking. but good job anyways

Crash! Bang!
01-20-2008, 07:28
i agree with warren. no way should going into town for re-supply/meals or getting maildrops be considered "support".

BackTrack1
01-20-2008, 09:43
Good job Jen, you must have passed me somewhere along the trail, i was on the trail then also,
very cool poem :):D:welcome

JAK
01-20-2008, 09:53
Well done Jennifer.

I would like to know just off the top of your head how much you think you weighed at start and finish, what you think your average skin out weight was, and how many calories you think you burned during the trip including your resupplies. Also total miles including resupplies and total elevation gain. I'll bet you didn't think their would be a written test at the end eh? :)

What was my other question? Oh yeah.
Do you think it would have been better with just two resupplies?