PDA

View Full Version : Do orange tarps/tents really attract bears?

Dirtygaiters
08-19-2007, 21:49
I read on the Oware website that orange tarps can visually attract a passing bear. Does anybody know if this is true?

Makes me a little concerned as I recently bought a blaze orange tarp for general use:-?...(I'm a novice tarper, btw)

SGT Rock
08-19-2007, 22:00
I've never hear about that. Let me know how that works out for you ;)

Footslogger
08-19-2007, 22:02
Never heard of that either. Just don't sleep with your food or we'll never know if it was the color or the odor.

'Slogger

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-19-2007, 22:05
I used a blaze orange tent for several years because I camped frequently in the national forests where hunters are abundant. I never once had a bear come near my tent - not even in the Smokies in areas with bear warnings.

Dirtygaiters
08-19-2007, 22:12
Yeah, that's partly what I was thinking when I decided on orange for my tarp. Definitely rather not be shot by a hunter...and at least bears don't generally carry rifles.

Dirtygaiters
08-19-2007, 22:14
By the way, this (http://www.owareusa.com/images/fabsilcolors.JPG) is the shade of orange I'm talking about. Very "bright" stuff.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-19-2007, 22:19
That's the same shade as my late 1970's - early 1980's tent.

woodsy
08-19-2007, 22:19
Black Bears don't come in orange colors so they shouldn't be attracted to your tarp.
Now if your tarp were black.................hmmmmmm?

emerald
08-19-2007, 23:03
Say woodsy, if bulls are attracted to red, why do you think it so far fetched that bears might be attracted to blaze orange?;)

Panzer1
08-19-2007, 23:16
Bear hunters wear orange. I don't think it attracts bears to them though. If anything you would think bears would learn to stay away from orange.

Panzer

Franco
08-20-2007, 00:11
I had an orange tent but never seen a bear but I would like to know if there is a colour that attracts beer.
Franco

emerald
08-20-2007, 00:27
Wouldn't know, but I once heard of a beer that attracts wallabies.;)

Dr O
08-20-2007, 00:36
I had an orange tent but never seen a bear but I would like to know if there is a colour that attracts beer.
Franco

Lots of green will attract anything.:)

woodsy
08-20-2007, 07:56
Say woodsy, if bulls are attracted to red, why do you think it so far fetched that bears might be attracted to blaze orange?;)
Bulls are colorblind, it's the guy waving the flag that irritates them.
Black Bears only see in homogenous Shades of Gray (http://www.wildlifenews.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlife_news.view_article&articles_id=136&issue_id=25)

Lone Wolf
08-20-2007, 07:59
I read on the Oware website that orange tarps can visually attract a passing bear. Does anybody know if this is true?

Makes me a little concerned as I recently bought a blaze orange tarp for general use:-?...(I'm a novice tarper, btw)

food doesn't even attract them. i've trying for years to get them in my tent

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-20-2007, 08:02
Bears hunt for food using an acute sense of hearing and an extremely keen sense of smell—some can detect odors from more than a mile away. Bear eyesight is probably similar in acuity (sharpness) to human vision. Black bears, and likely other bears, have color vision, which helps them identify ripe fruits and nuts.
http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761572258/Bear.htmlI suppose the sight of a blaze orange object thru the forest undergrowth might warrant further investigation by a bear. However, its acute sense of smell would alert it to a human's presence long before it was seen unless the wind was carrying the human scent away from the bear.

emerald
08-20-2007, 08:14
Bulls are colorblind, it's the guy waving the flag that irritates them.

Black bears only see in homogeneous shades of gray (http://www.wildlifenews.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlife_news.view_article&articles_id=136&issue_id=25).

woodsy, if you'll read my post again, you'll see it ends with a wink. You should consider getting yourself another coffee and reading your article again too.

I believe your article concludes bears can see color. One experiment involved determining whether bears can distinguish between two colors that would appear as homogeneous shades of gray. In other words, the two colors would appear identical were the bear unable to distinguish colors.

oldfivetango
08-20-2007, 08:26
If you are concerned about hunters then you need to wear
orange on your person,not on your tarp.Only irresponsible,idiotic,
non-professional hunters shoot at something that moves without
clearly identifying their target.But it happens.

Since your tarp or tent will likely not be crashing around in
the woods then it is hardly a target for even the worst hunter.

A simple blaze orange cap is probably all you need to be seen
as a "non-target".Also,maybe an orange bandana or vest on the
back of the pack would be a good idea as well.Makes it easier for
drivers to spot you as well when you hitch.
Oldfivetango

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-20-2007, 08:51
If you are concerned about hunters then you need to wear orange on your person,not on your tarp.Only irresponsible,idiotic, non-professional hunters shoot at something that moves without clearly identifying their target.But it happens.

Since your tarp or tent will likely not be crashing around in
the woods then it is hardly a target for even the worst hunter.

A simple blaze orange cap is probably all you need to be seen
as a "non-target".Also,maybe an orange bandana or vest on the
back of the pack would be a good idea as well.Makes it easier for
drivers to spot you as well when you hitch.
OldfivetangoO5T, I often camped in an area where groups of good 'ol boys fueled by massive quanities of PBR were known to hunt. I got the orange tent after returning from a walk to find my camo tent had been pelleted with shotgun pellets :eek: I wasn't even at the site when it happened so I certainly wasn't making any noise. Under those circumstances, making absolutely sure that the hunters clearly see blaze orange makes it less likely you will be a target.

That said, a blaze orange tent is overkill for an area like the AT or other popular, well-used trails. However, I would consider taking one on parts of the BMT at certain times of the year. Alas, not all hunters are bright and responsible - especially when there is alcohol involved.

emerald
08-20-2007, 08:55
Readers looking for more information about black bears will find much information linked here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=287917&postcount=45).

NICKTHEGREEK
08-20-2007, 09:40

Polar Bears yes, there was some data taken back during the cold war concerning under ice sub hunting. Each winter a "group" went north to conduct research. The more contrasting colors in camp the higher the incidence of Polar Bear activity.

Fiddleback
08-20-2007, 11:47
A quick Google search on 'Grizzly bear color vision' found a half-dozen or so references to the color vision of black bears in the first five pages of hits. There were also hits that talked of anecdotal evidence of gizzly bears having color vision. Overall, some of these hits were worth referencing, i.e., scientific authority, and some were less authoritative.

One reference stated black bears use their vision to discriminate food while another reference stated black bears' vision responds to blues, greens and possibly reds...implying their color vision is similar to humans'.

I saw nothing that indicated bears were attracted to one color or another but, again, this was just a short 20 minute Google review...

FB

oldfivetango
08-20-2007, 13:33
O5T, I often camped in an area where groups of good 'ol boys fueled by massive quanities of PBR were known to hunt. I got the orange tent after returning from a walk to find my camo tent had been pelleted with shotgun pellets :eek: I wasn't even at the site when it happened so I certainly wasn't making any noise. Under those circumstances, making absolutely sure that the hunters clearly see blaze orange makes it less likely you will be a target.

That said, a blaze orange tent is overkill for an area like the AT or other popular, well-used trails. However, I would consider taking one on parts of the BMT at certain times of the year. Alas, not all hunters are bright and responsible - especially when there is alcohol involved.

With all due respect.FD,I would suggest that those "good ole boyz"
got hoopped up on PBR or good old Jack and said"Hey Dude,let's shoot
this tent!!! In other words it was intentional,not accidental as most
every gun owner knows the effective range of a shotgun is low,like less
than a hundred yards or so.

Had there been rifle bullet holes in your tent one could suggest that it
happened by accident from quite a distance.In any event,I would think
that oragnge tents and tarps do not likely draw bears but would draw
drunk locals in a heartbeat.Orange is not what you want to stealth camp
and having one is not exactly my idea of a good idea but it is definitely an
individual decision.

I stand by my argument that orange needs to be worn on your person.

Btw,FD, what were you doing pitching a tent somewhere other than
an approved tenting area?I conclude you were not on the AT?So,where
exactly were you tented?
Oldfivetango

mikeinFHAZ
08-21-2007, 02:34
i have a blaze orange tarp, great for snow camping or signalling for help...
other than that I use it to piss other campers off. See this companion thread (http://http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=394955#post394955)

mikeinFHAZ
08-21-2007, 02:35
aww crap that didnt work. here: http://http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=394955#post394955

Franco
08-21-2007, 03:08
At the moment some suggest that bears, like most non primate mammals, are dichromatics (two colors) and can see short (violet and blue) and long (orange and red) wavelengths but not medium, green.
If that really translate to "an orange/red tent will stand out" I am not sure, but it appears to be so.
Someone should investigate known cases of bears attacking tent sites and see if there is any correlation.
( note that the new MSR Hubbas are now yellow ...., but I suspect that it has more to do with airline pilots complaining about visual pollution)
Franco

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-21-2007, 06:24
Btw,FD, what were you doing pitching a tent somewhere other than
an approved tenting area?I conclude you were not on the AT?So,where
exactly were you tented? - OldfivetangoBackcountry camping is allowed in National forests with a few restrictions about how close to water sources, roads and such you are and demands the use of LNT procedures. The area where I used blaze orange to tent was off what is now called the Cherohala Skyway. For many years it ended where the long bridge connects two ridge tops and provides a magnificent view. There was a logging road just before this point and I would drive down the logging road to a parking area and then bushwhack into the woods to camp in solitude.

BTW, the person who shot my camo tent left me a note containing many misspellings which said he or she had been shooting at a wild turkey and accidentally damaged my tent. I'm not a firearms expert by any means, but I do know bird shot when I see it :D

oldfivetango
08-21-2007, 08:32
Backcountry camping is allowed in National forests with a few restrictions about how close to water sources, roads and such you are and demands the use of LNT procedures. The area where I used blaze orange to tent was off what is now called the Cherohala Skyway. For many years it ended where the long bridge connects two ridge tops and provides a magnificent view. There was a logging road just before this point and I would drive down the logging road to a parking area and then bushwhack into the woods to camp in solitude.

BTW, the person who shot my camo tent left me a note containing many misspellings which said he or she had been shooting at a wild turkey and accidentally damaged my tent. I'm not a firearms expert by any means, but I do know bird shot when I see it :D

For the record-the lethal range of a 12 guage shotgun with
even a magnum turkey load is about 120 feet.There is simply
no way that guy did not see your tent,camo or not.Had he not
seen it,why would he have left you a note on it?

And it is quite puzzling to me how your story stated off with
"drunk good ole boyz" and has now evolved into an illiterate
turkey hunter who left you a note of apology.This epic gets better
and better the further it goes!:D
Oldfivetango

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-21-2007, 08:43
There is simply
no way that guy did not see your tent,camo or not.Had he not
seen it,why would he have left you a note on it?

And it is quite puzzling to me how your story stated off with
"drunk good ole boyz" and has now evolved into an illiterate
turkey hunter who left you a note of apology.This epic gets better
and better the further it goes!:D I thought the note was a bit strange as well, but it was there when I returned to the damaged tent. I agree that if the maximum shot distance of such a firearm is 120 ft, then even a drunk hunter should have seen my tent. I have no way of knowing if the hunter who hit my tent was drunk or not, but the damaged tent was what prompted me to switch to a blaze orange pup tent (the topic of this thread) for camping in that area after the fact. I did not use the blaze tent in the GSMNP or other places where hunters were not frequent guests.

cannonball
08-21-2007, 09:10
My guees is that bears are color blind so its a non-issue.

oldfivetango
08-21-2007, 09:23
I thought the note was a bit strange as well, but it was there when I returned to the damaged tent. I agree that if the maximum shot distance of such a firearm is 120 ft, then even a drunk hunter should have seen my tent. I have no way of knowing if the hunter who hit my tent was drunk or not, but the damaged tent was what prompted me to switch to a blaze orange pup tent (the topic of this thread) for camping in that area after the fact. I did not use the blaze tent in the GSMNP or other places where hunters were not frequent guests.

Not to beat a dead horse about the blaze orange thing,FD,but here is
my analysis of the issue.

1. Blaze orange shelters may or may not attract unwanted wildlife.
2. Blaze orange shelters are likely to attract unwanted human activity.
3. If you are stranded and in desparate need of attracting
Search and Rescue it is an EXCELLENT IDEA to have an orange shelter.
4. During big game hunting seasons(ie, "deer season") it is THE LAW that
Georgia hunters must have at least 500 sq inches of blaze orange on
their person while hunting.

While the law may apply to hunters I doubt it applies to hikers although
common sense would suggest that hikers should be outfitted with at least
some orange during deer season.(keep in mind that lots of locals do not
observe a strict season for big game and they are "out there" with heavy
guage weaponry :D )

Lastly,we live in a litigious society.Blaze orange can spell the difference
between justice being served "after the fact" for the victim and their
family.Stories abound of hunting accidents that amount to little more
than murder.If it can be proved the victim was wearing orange when the
"accident" occurred then it strenghtens the prosecutions case considerably.

Oldfivetango

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-21-2007, 09:50
Let me make it clear that I am not saying that I did not wear blaze orange in addition to having the orange tent. I had a blaze orange knit cap, unlined nylon jacket and bandana as well. I used those while hiking and while in camp. IMO, everyone should wear blaze in hunting areas during hunting season and in heavily-hunted area year-round.

mr. dribbles
08-21-2007, 16:53
This article (http://www.trailquest.net/bears.html#colors) suggests that bears are attracted to colors that are inconsistent with their usual environment landscape...

SoonerTex
08-21-2007, 17:23
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a Bear
Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair
But he did have a nice blaze orange jacket with bells on it.:)

Sorry, couldn't resist,but I have been working on a roof all day and it just hit 100 degrees.:mad: So much for the one brain cell. SoonerTex

fehchet
08-21-2007, 18:34
haha, lone wolf

Monkeyboy
08-21-2007, 21:37
food doesn't even attract them. i've trying for years to get them in my tent

ROFLMAO......

fcoulter
10-26-2012, 15:42
4. During big game hunting seasons(ie, "deer season") it is THE LAW that
Georgia hunters must have at least 500 sq inches of blaze orange on
their person while hunting.

Oldfivetango

500 square inches? So much for wearing just the hat. Is an orange vest 500 square inches? Or should you buy prisoner clothing during hunting season?

Slo-go'en
10-26-2012, 17:32
I'm not sure if an orange jump suit would make you more or less likely to get shot :) I do know that I once hung my food in an orange stuff sack and it got eaten up by squirrels. I replaced it with a gray sack and never had a problem again.

MuddyWaters
10-26-2012, 22:05
Actually I believe they are attracted to blue, seriously. I read that somewhere once.

oldwetherman
10-26-2012, 22:44
Interesting article from BPL about bears. "Attractive" color issue is addressed about half way through. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/backpacking_bruin_mind.html I hope the link works.

Sarcasm the elf
10-26-2012, 22:54
Sadly the full article is blocked by this:

An online subscription ("Premium Membership") is required to view this article.
Not yet a Premium Member? Subscribe now. (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bpl_subscriptions.html?id=TDZ9bTiX:71.234.156.90)

The link did contain an interesting abstract, but no mention of the "attractive" color issue.

oldwetherman
10-26-2012, 23:07
I thought the article might be "blocked". Sorry. Following is a copied and pasted few lines from the article.
Smith explains how Colorado black bear biologist, Tom Beck, had set out camera stations baited with fish. Bears were attracted. However, they showed more interest in the shape and color of piping Beck used to protect the cameras’ fragile transmitters than they did in the fish.
I mentioned my interest in that story. “Yeah, the pipes were that bright blue,” Dave said. “‘Kelty blue’ I call that. For some reason, bears really seem to like that color.”

Wise Old Owl
10-26-2012, 23:08
You don't have to go there - it was reported by scientists when teen condors trashed several tents in Grand Canyon then they looked at other species.

Bears And The "Blend In" Theory

New research suggests that bear bells don't work, and colorful tents and clothing may attract bruins.
by: David Peterson

On some nights, Tom Smith has counted up to 30 bears around his tent. Granted, he works in Alaska's Katmai National Park, a sanctuary more densely populated with brown bears (grizzlies) than anywhere else on Earth. In such close quarters, Smith, a research wildlife ecologist with the U.S. Geological
Survey Alaska Biological Science Center, has instinctively sensed the value of "blending in." Bears, he reasons, "are extremely curious animals. Therefore, any novelty in sight, scent, or sound is likely to grab their attention and tempt them to investigate."
Smith's logic was dramatically confirmed when his boss ordered a switch to camouflage shelters because he didn't like the "visual scar" their garish tents painted on the quiet landscape. "Immediately," says Smith, "bear visitation to our camps decreased markedly. It didn't take a genius to realize our bright, yellow-and-blue tents had been attracting bears."
No scientific studies had been conducted to test color vision in brown bears (although Alaskan bear biologist Kellie Pierce had related that Yupik Eskimos warned him "not to wear red, orange, or other bright colors because bears would come and get me"), so Smith undertook a series of zoo trials. His finding: Grizzlies can distinguish colors.
Next, out on the tundra, he erected several brightly colored panels. While research is ongoing, preliminary results are consistent with Smith's color premise. "At this point in my studies, although more research is needed, I believe the safest choice is camouflage," advises Smith.
Aware that some wilderness wanderers view bright tents as a safety necessity-for spotting from the air in case of an emergency-Smith suggests a compromise: "a camouflaged rainfly...with a brightly colored tent. With the fly in place, the tent is camouflaged. By removing it, you have your rescue signal."
He's also found that bears do indeed investigate novelties within their environment, whether it's a structure placed there by the National Park Service or a backpacker's tent. "A large, unbroken pattern such as a tent, even in natural colors, stands out as odd and may pique a bear's curiosity," Smith says.
"In the (crowded) forest, visual cues aren't so critical," he adds. "But out on the tundra, where you can see for miles, they are. Worse yet, we love to camp on high, exposed places with a view, thereby offering bears a panoramic view of us."
Along with testing their vision, Smith is also looking into the auditory curiosity of bears. After constructing a blind atop a 70-foot cliff, the intrepid researcher connected a line to a bear bell he tied in a bush beside a game trail directly below. When bruins came by, Smith yanked the string to ring the bell. "In 15 trials," he reports, "not a single bear investigated the bell, or even turned to look at it."
Yet when Smith snapped a twig from his hiding place, it got the immediate attention of every bear, with reactions ranging from "freezing in place and being acutely alert to running away." Similar responses were elicited when Smith vocalized a "huff!" Yet the bell, no matter how loudly it jangled, was ignored. Why?
"Apparently, they mistake it for some weird bird, while the huff and stick-snap suggest the approach of another bear," he says. "And bears are very concerned about other bears. If you want to assume that every grizzly you encounter will have had enough contact with bell-wearing hikers to make the connection, that's your choice. I'm not so trusting."
Smith relies on shouting and hand-clapping to alert bears of his approach. "Clapping is especially effective because it approximates the sound of a stick breaking. Also, your voice and hands are always with you, cost nothing, and can be used only when needed, rather than constantly disrupting the natural soundscape."
So, to sum up grizzly-country safety, evidence is mounting that tinkle bells, bright colors, and conspicuous campsites are likely bad choices. But what about the shy and ubiquitous black bear? While few hikers go belled in blackie country, or need to, color and location still count. Witness:
When setting out "camera traps" during field studies for the Colorado State Division of Wildlife, black bear biologist Tom Beck mounted the delicate infrared transmitters in lengths of sky-blue plastic pipe for protection. Repeatedly, Beck reports, "I've seen black bears spot the specks of color from a distance, abandon what they're doing, and come to investigate. In close, they seem even more interested in the odd color and shape of the pipe than in the rotten fish we use as bait."
In another parallel, both researchers say they've seen both species of bear "visually lock onto" brightly dressed humans from half a mile away.
While granting that black bears (grisly exceptions noted) are far less bold than browns, Beck seconds Smith in advising that blend-in camps, gear, and clothing are good bear-country safety precautions, and that they definitely improve the scenery.

Sarcasm the elf
10-26-2012, 23:24
Very nice, thanks Oldwetherman and WOO.