PDA

View Full Version : AT in NC

Biloxi
08-20-2007, 01:19
hey everyone I was needing some info..I want to do a section of trail for maybe a week or two just to get away and do some miles to test out some gear..I have family in NC.and was wondering how to incorperate visiting them in with my hike..I have some in maggie vally, some in waynesville and some just south of asheville in fairview..how close does the trail run to these places any NC hikers or anyone that knows please respond ..thanks

Tennessee Viking
08-20-2007, 02:29
For Maggie Valley and Waynesville, you can search out many trailheads.
The nearest sections are the Balds from Hot Springs to I40, Smokies from I40 to Fontana, Wessler NC area, and the Nantalhala Forest areas.

As for Asheville, the nearest trailhead is Sams Gap at the TN/NC state line on I26.

A true camping experience can be found on the Balds outside of Hot Springs
Max Patch is the ultimate spot. Harmon Den going into the Smokies will have a concentration of bear.

The Smokies will be getting very crowded in the Fall.

DiamondDoug
08-20-2007, 09:46
how close does the trail run to these places any NC hikers or anyone that knows please respond ..thanks

The mile markers count down to zero at the state lines on the interstates, so from the junction of I-26 and I-40 in Asheville it is 32 miles to Sam's Gap on 26 and 45 miles to Waterville on 40. It's a nice hike between the two, about 75 miles, with a chance to take a break in Hot Springs in the middle. I'd suggest going south to avoid the big climb up out of the Pigeon River Gorge.