PDA

View Full Version : Miso

chris
10-30-2003, 12:22
Has anyone tried dehydrating miso? With the cold weather upon us, soup now travels with me and miso soup is one of my favorites. But, those little packets are expensive if you are going to consume a liter at t a time.

MadAussieInLondon
10-30-2003, 16:46
i sure i have miso in powder form and in sachet form buried in the back of the cupboard...

TJ aka Teej
10-30-2003, 17:24
Powdered Miso soup?
What's Japanese for 'Yuck'?

chris
10-31-2003, 09:37
It actually is pretty reasonable. It doesn't taste much like miso soup you might make at home, but it does taste a lot like what you get in lower end Japanese places.

Christoph Meyer
02-22-2008, 12:59
I know that miso paste NEVER goes bad in the refrigerator, but what about on the trail? Of course it would do fine in cold weather, but what about summertime? I love a cup of hot miso in the morning. I wonder if there are some preservative-laden brands that would keep better than the all natural stuff. A few years ago I saw a Japanese movie where the heros were traveling through the mountains and when they stopped to eat, they put some brown paste in their pot which could only have been miso. Perhaps it's Japanese trail food! It's already fermented, of course, but how much (more) rotten would it get in hot weather. Does anyone have any experience with miso paste on the trail?

Twineman NOBO 2008 Leaving March 21st. BOO-ya!

JimSproul
02-25-2008, 11:35
These folks have several types

http://www.coldmountainmiso.com/coldmount.html

sarbar
02-25-2008, 19:02
Miso is a lot like Thai curry pastes....they are not refrigerated in the countries they come from, only here in the US. There isn't anything in the Miso mix that will readily go bad so I wouldn't worry. (Ie....meat, dairy, etc) I would either carry dry miso mix or just carry the miso concentrate.
Do check on it in hot weather though - the fat in it could go rancid in long term hot weather. You'll be able to smell that though!

mweinstone
02-25-2008, 19:03
can i sleep over your thread tonight? i got no place to go. i like miso.

A-Train
02-25-2008, 19:45
Miso hungry right now!~

headchange4u
02-25-2008, 19:54
At my local Asian store I get packs of miso soup that contain a small packs of bean curd paste and small packs that contain different dried/dehydrated ingredients like seaweed, fried bean curd, green onion, tofu, etc. They are really good and only cost 2.69 for a pack of 8 servings (1 serving = 1 pack paste + pack dried stuff.).

headchange4u
02-25-2008, 19:58
Here it is:
http://www.pacificeastwest.com/074410278724.html

Christoph Meyer
02-26-2008, 17:51
Thanks for the miso advise. I doubt that it's readily available at grocers along the trail. I'll go to the Asian food store and get some of the individually packaged stuff and put in some mail drops. 25 days till I leave for Georgia. (not that I'm counting):o