PDA

View Full Version : hiking SNP in the beginning of September

flyingduckmonster
08-20-2007, 13:10
I'm doing my first AT "shakedown" hike in the Shenandoah National Park--getting used to my gear, starting the long process of developing hiking legs--in a few weeks, and I'm super excited!

I expect it'll still be warm during the days but will get rather chilly at night. Does this seem about right?

Is there any reason to believe I'll have trouble getting the backcountry permit--that it'll be too busy or something?

Thanks! :banana (I loves me some dancing bananas.) :banana

sparky2000
08-20-2007, 13:13
As u hike into the SNP wou'll see a box to sign into and get a tag to hang on your backpack. Hike into the SNP, don't drive. SOBO is the easiest way to go into the SNP.

Pedaling Fool
08-20-2007, 13:18
You'll see some cool nights, but overall it'll be nice. I'm also thinking of doing SNP about this same time frame, after my little bike ride from Florida to DC.
Check out this site
http://www.nps.gov/shen

flyingduckmonster
08-20-2007, 16:01
Great! I was thinking north-to-south was how I'd go. :)

Thanks for the info and the link!

Skyline
08-20-2007, 16:32
Barring the remnants of any hurricanes passing through, September in Shenandoah is a great time to thru-hike the Park. The kids are back at school by Labor Day, the leaf-peepers don't show up until mid-October usually, so the time in between is nirvana.

If you want some help positioning a vehicle, with logistics, shuttles, or want some info about the best side trails which connect to the AT in the Park--visit Mountain & Valley Shuttles at www.mvshuttle.com (http://www.mvshuttle.com).

SawnieRobertson
08-20-2007, 22:47
Barring the remnants of any hurricanes passing through, September in Shenandoah is a great time to thru-hike the Park. The kids are back at school by Labor Day, the leaf-peepers don't show up until mid-October usually, so the time in between is nirvana.

If you want some help positioning a vehicle, with logistics, shuttles, or want some info about the best side trails which connect to the AT in the Park--visit Mountain & Valley Shuttles at www.mvshuttle.com (http://www.mvshuttle.com).

This is VERY good to know. Thanks for offering such a service with a great, informative website.--Kinnickinic

FritztheCat
08-19-2008, 10:03

What's a leaf-peeper?

jlb2012
08-19-2008, 11:03
a touron that like to drive around looking at the fall foliage

Skyline
08-19-2008, 11:07
What's a leaf-peeper?

A species with human-like traits that invades Shenandoah National Park every October to see the leaves change color. They might actually have leaves wherever they live that change color just as reliably, but they prefer to support our tourism economy at this time of year. The locals are only too happy to cooperate. By Halloween, most have vanished back to their more urban-like environments.

Oh, and they create significant traffic jams on October weekends on US211 and on Skyline Drive. Smart locals who aren't involved in the tourist-fleecing game go to the beach during this invasion.

Skyline
08-19-2008, 11:09
a touron that like to drive around looking at the fall foliage

You beat me to it HOI!

NICKTHEGREEK
08-19-2008, 11:11
What's a leaf-peeper?
The people who come in droves, pay the entrance money that keeps the salaries paid that keeps the park open so people can hike through it

NICKTHEGREEK
08-19-2008, 11:13
A species with human-like traits that invades Shenandoah National Park every October to see the leaves change color. They might actually have leaves wherever they live that change color just as reliably, but they prefer to support our tourism economy at this time of year. The locals are only too happy to cooperate. By Halloween, most have vanished back to their more urban-like environments.

Oh, and they create significant traffic jams on October weekends on US211 and on Skyline Drive. Smart locals who aren't involved in the tourist-fleecing game go to the beach during this invasion.
Smart Local? What's her name?

hoyawolf
08-19-2008, 12:35
i'm looking to head out on 13/14 sept if anyone is interested...

FritztheCat
08-19-2008, 12:51
LOL! Thanks! Sounds like you guys get hit with the tourists in the fall like we do here at the beach during the summer months.

Blissful
08-19-2008, 14:18
At least people are out enjoying nature and hopefully they will walk or take a hike too. Better than lying around watching the tube.

Omarwannahike
04-07-2009, 09:30
I am looking at Oct 11... from either Rt 522 or MP10 (SoBo) on the skyline drive, easy days... this would be my first time out for more than 2 nights. Woot!!!

Lemni Skate
04-17-2009, 07:35
I would rate September as the best month to hike SNP. It can still get pretty hot or cold on occasion, but the vast majority of days and nights are wonderfully comfortable, the leaves are green, the wildlife is abundant. Water may be a little scarce in southern section of park so plan accordingly.

sasquatch2014
04-17-2009, 07:37
You left out empty. I had the park almost all to myself last year when I went through in mid Sept.