PDA

View Full Version : Chestnut Branch Trail in GSMNP

xenix
08-20-2007, 22:32
My wife and I would like to know what the Chestnut Branch Trail is like in the GSMNP. Is there a lot of over growth and is the trail narrow or wide?
Also, what is the AT trail like going south bound from Pigeon River, Davenport Gap to the Mt. Cammerer Trail?
My wife and I will be in the area in October and would like to dayhike in the above area. Thank you very much for your help. Jim

bulldog49
08-21-2007, 09:00
Chestnut Branch is a wet trail that goes mostly through Rhododendren. Been a few years since I hiked it but it was not overgrown.

The AT from Davenport Gap to MT Cammerer is wide but rough from use by horses.

Mt Cammerer is cool and worth the trip up.

A better approach, in my opinion, is a loop up to MT Cammerer from the Cosby Campground using the Low Gap, AT and Lower MT Cammrer Trails.

The Solemates
08-21-2007, 15:59
We just hiked the Chestnutt Branch trail in April and got snowed on. Beautiful trail. Going downhill off the AT on snow covered leaves, it can get slippery. There isnt overgrowth, its easy to follow, but somewhat steep at times. The Cammerer firetower is one of the coolest spots for a lookout on the AT. We did a weekend loop starting at Big Creek which included the AT, Chesnut Branch, and other trails and had a great time. I would highly recommend this area for a weekend trip. Easy access, great fun.

xenix
10-21-2007, 11:22
Oct 2007 Just go back from our trip to the GSMNP We took the Chestnut Branch Trail, then AT trail, then the spur up to the top of Mt. Cammerer. The 360 degree views of the Smokeys on the top of Mt. Cammerer on the CC lookout tower are absolutley outstanding!!!
Made for a perfect day hike! http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Our next trip, we will approach Mt. Cammerer from the Cosby campground. Only after speaking to hikers on the AT ... the approach to Mt. Cammerer from Cosby campground would have been a better decision.

Thanks so very much bulldog49 and The Solemates for your help.