PDA

View Full Version : How many ounces of fuel for the wilderness?

Kirby
08-21-2007, 09:53
I am leaving for Monson on saturday, and starting the wilderness on sunday, I was wondering how many ounces of fuel would be needed to get through the wilderness and on to Katahdin,

Thanks,
Kirby

Pedaling Fool
08-21-2007, 09:56
What kind of stove do you have? I would plan 7days worth at tops.

Footslogger
08-21-2007, 10:04
I agree with JG. 7 days is plenty of time to finish the 100+ miles from Monson to Katahdin.

First question I would ask is ...what kind of stove do you have and how much fuel (on average) does it take to cook a meal (boil water).

Second question would be ...do you boil water for breakfast or only dinner ??

I use an alcohol stove and can get good boilage with about an ouce of fuel. So, doing the math, at 2 "boils" per day (worst case scenario) you would need about 14 ounces of fuel. With that assumption in mind I would probably carry a 16 ounce flask of fuel. That said ...if you only boil once a day then you could probably get away with 8 ounces or so.

'Slogger

Toolshed
08-21-2007, 10:09
I agree with JG. 7 days is plenty of time to finish the 100+ miles from Monson to Katahdin.

First question I would ask is ...what kind of stove do you have and how much fuel (on average) does it take to cook a meal (boil water).

I use an alcohol stove and can get good boilage with about an ouce of fuel. So, doing the math, at 2 "boils" per day (worst case scenario) you would need about 14 ounces of fuel. With that assumption in mind I would probably carry a 16 ounce flask of fuel. That said ...if you only boil once a day then you could probably get away with 8 ounces or so.

'Slogger
In a nutshell, There are a lot of variables there Kirby!!! :)

Kirby
08-21-2007, 10:54

'Slogger

I have an alcohol burning stove, the ones that can be made using soda cans (courtesy of bullseye). The sotve can hold 3 and 3/4 ounces. I have no intention of boiling water for breakfast or lunch, just dinner. I am yet to use the stove, so I do not know how much fuel on average it takes to boil water

What is a good method for measuring fuel so you do not pour more fuel into the stove then you actually want.

Thanks,
Kirby

Toolshed
08-21-2007, 11:10
I use a gatorade bottle and pour 2 capfuls into the stove to boil 2 cups of water.
If you google pepsi can style stove sites, you will find an abundance of info on how much fuel it takes and tehn average out your findings based on whether you expect cold wet weather asnd how many meals you plan to make using 2 cups as the standard amount to boil..

Footslogger
08-21-2007, 11:15
What is a good method for measuring fuel so you do not pour more fuel into the stove then you actually want.

Thanks,
Kirby

==========================================

What I do is to carry a small booze flask that has a cap that holds 1 fluid ounce. Works well. at least for me.

'Slogger

The Old Fhart
08-21-2007, 11:17
I am a strong believer of not using anything on the trail that I haven't tested at home. I'd recommend trying your new stove a few times at home to make sure it works the way you think(or hope) it will so you don't have any surprises on your hike. Trying it outdoors at home with about the same temperature and quantity of water you would find on the trail will also help you plan how much fuel to carry.

Marta
08-21-2007, 12:00
I am a strong believer of not using anything on the trail that I haven't tested at home. I'd recommend trying your new stove a few times at home to make sure it works the way you think(or hope) it will so you don't have any surprises on your hike. Trying it outdoors at home with about the same temperature and quantity of water you would find on the trail will also help you plan how much fuel to carry.

I strongly agree. Not only will home testing give you an idea of how much fuel your particular stove will use per burn, it will also let you know whether you need some sort of shield underneath it to keep from setting shelters/grass/the woods on fire. And whether your windscreen works with your stove and pot.

BTW, I'd plan on 8 days through the Wilderness. If something happens (blisters, etc.) you might not make the kind of time you think you will, and you don't want to run out of food or fuel.

Have a good hike!

Marta/Five-Leaf

Jim Adams
08-21-2007, 12:04
Take a canister stove with 1 canister and don't worry about fuel. It will be more reliable, consistant and lighter in the long run.

geek

Toolshed
08-21-2007, 12:10

You make an excellent point. When I read it I thought "Young Fools get by on shear youth and Stamina" (didn't we all), but it is best practiced at home first.

hopefulhiker
08-21-2007, 13:15
I would definetly cook something on that stove to get used to it and see how much fuel it actually takes.. then multiply by eight.. Also consider a litte flip top shampoo bottle to squirt the fuel. I used a little plastic cup to measure it with..

JAK
08-21-2007, 13:26
The better question might be how much food you need, then take a portion of that food and see how much fuel it takes to do what you want with it. You might also account for wind, temperature, elevation and all that. In other words round up, and if your melting snow, double it again.

Username75
08-21-2007, 14:52

don't overfill your stove, less than half way up, then simply lite the alcohol the stove will do the rest, and blossom in a nice blue flame hard to see in direct sunlight
place the unlit stove on a level ground then lite.
NEVER REFILL A HOT STOVE.

mweinstone
08-21-2007, 14:57
carry as much as you like. alot or alittle, your going to be fine.

Skidsteer
08-21-2007, 17:20

I strongly agree. Not only will home testing give you an idea of how much fuel your particular stove will use per burn, it will also let you know whether you need some sort of shield underneath it to keep from setting shelters/grass/the woods on fire. And whether your windscreen works with your stove and pot.

BTW, I'd plan on 8 days through the Wilderness. If something happens (blisters, etc.) you might not make the kind of time you think you will, and you don't want to run out of food or fuel.

Have a good hike!

Marta/Five-Leaf

Another strong vote for testing at home. Can't be over emphasized.

Enjoy the hike!

zelph
08-21-2007, 17:49
I have an alcohol burning stove, the ones that can be made using soda cans (courtesy of bullseye). The sotve can hold 3 and 3/4 ounces. I have no intention of boiling water for breakfast or lunch, just dinner. I am yet to use the stove, so I do not know how much fuel on average it takes to boil water

Thanks,
Kirby

Kirby, now that you have been givin enlightment, how much fuel are you going to take on your hike and what will you use to measure your fuel?:)

Kirby
08-21-2007, 18:41
Kirby, now that you have been givin enlightment, how much fuel are you going to take on your hike and what will you use to measure your fuel?:)

I am leaning towards taking from 10-14 ounces to be safe, I will be learning how to use my stove in Monson, no store in my area sells the denatured alcohol I need, so when I get to Monson I will purchase extra fuel to learn how to effecctively use it.

I will most likely carry the fuel in a clearly labled, clear plastic bottle if I can find an effective method to measure the fuel. Any ideas great and almighty people of WhiteBlaze?

The one and only(as far as I know,)
Kirby

bullseye
08-21-2007, 19:28
Kirby,

Glad to see you're taking the Thru Hiker stove! It will boil 16 ounces of water on about 2/3 to 3/4 ounce of fuel depending on conditions. You can go to most auto stores to get HEET in the yellow bottle. That will work perfectly. It's about a $1.50 for a 12 ounce bottle. Hope that helps.

bullseye
08-21-2007, 19:31
Also, I wouldn't use more than an ounce or two tops. I know the stove holds 3+ ounces, but it will burn for about 9 minutes on 1 ounce, 17 minutes on 2 ounces, boiling 16 ounces of water in about 5-6 minutes, 32 ounces in about 12 minutes.

Roland
08-21-2007, 19:39
~ no store in my area sells the denatured alcohol I need, so when I get to Monson I will purchase extra fuel to learn how to effecctively use it.
~

Denatured alcohol is available at most hardware stores, building supply and paint stores.

In trail towns, many hikers buy HEET (http://www.goldeagle.com/heet/products.htm), a product sold as gas-line antifreeze. It comes in 12 oz bottles. Use the yellow bottle. The red bottle is isopropyl alcohol and does not burn as cleanly.

Kirby
08-21-2007, 19:40
Is this also including the time it will take to cook the food itself? I have some pasta that needs to be cooked, so I want to plan accordingly.

Thanks again for the stove,
Kirby

Kirby
08-21-2007, 19:41
Heet will work on an alcohol burning stove?

Kirby

Roland
08-21-2007, 19:42

Kirby

Yes, HEET is denatured alcohol (yellow bottle).

Roland
08-21-2007, 19:44
Yes, HEET is denatured alcohol (yellow bottle).

Kirby,

I honestly can't remember the composition of HEET. It certainly contains enough methanol to render it unsafe for human consumption. I can't remember how much, if any, ethanol it contains. Either way, it works well in a soda can stove.

Be careful to mark the bottle properly. Don't get any alcohol in your food.

Kirby
08-21-2007, 19:52
Fantastic!

Does anyone have any good soultions for measuring the fuel before putting it into the stove, I could guess, but I would rather know that I am putting the amount I want into the stove.

Thanks everyone,
Kirby

Roland
08-21-2007, 19:58
Fantastic!

Does anyone have any good soultions for measuring the fuel before putting it into the stove, I could guess, but I would rather know that I am putting the amount I want into the stove.

Thanks everyone,
Kirby

A few good suggestions have already been presented.

Until you get used to your stove, begin with 1 oz of alcohol. After a few uses, you'll know if you reach a boil before you run-out of fuel, or if a bit more is needed.

Once you've selected a bottle, measure how many cap-fulls are needed to dispense 1 oz. Some people use the measuring cup that comes with cough syrup.

Skidsteer
08-21-2007, 19:59
Fantastic!

Thanks everyone,
Kirby

A tea light tin holds @ 15 ml(@ 1/2 oz.), weighs one gram, and serves as a back-up stove.

hiker51
08-21-2007, 20:15
A drugstore pharmacy department will give you an 8 ounce bottle (or several) with markings on the side that show the ounces you are pouring. they are small and easy to pack. also the top seals well. i write denatured alcohol on the bottle with a permanent marker so no mistakes are made.

bullseye
08-21-2007, 20:28
The measuring cup from cough syrup or Pepto like Roland suggested works great, or an empty 35mm film container works (it holds 1 ounce I think:-? ). Don't take my word though, measure it before you leave. After a couple of uses you'll be able to eyeball your fuel Kirby.

bullseye
08-21-2007, 20:33
Is this also including the time it will take to cook the food itself? I have some pasta that needs to be cooked, so I want to plan accordingly.

Thanks again for the stove,
Kirby
Cook times are whatever they are Kirby. If you need to boil water and then add pasta, you'll need to figure that out. If the stove boils 16 ounces in 6 minutes + 6-8 minutes to cook pasta, you're looking at 12-14 minutes or about 1 1/2 ounces of fuel. The better solution is to bring the water to a boil, add the pasta and let the stove burn out, while pasta sits in the hot water for the amount of time necessary. So about 3/4 ounce to boil water, and then wait. Pasta doesn't need to boil, just rehydrate in hot water. Hope this helps.

zelph
08-21-2007, 21:07
I am leaning towards taking from 10-14 ounces to be safe, I will be learning how to use my stove in Monson, no store in my area sells the denatured alcohol I need, so when I get to Monson I will purchase extra fuel to learn how to effecctively use it.

I will most likely carry the fuel in a clearly labled, clear plastic bottle if I can find an effective method to measure the fuel. Any ideas great and almighty people of WhiteBlaze?

The one and only(as far as I know,)
Kirby

Kirby!!!!! I doubt you will find anything less than a one gallon container of Denatured Alcohol. What will you do with the leftovers?

Here it is in-a-nut-shell, use the bottle cap to measure your fuel. Start off with 3 caps full, if it burns too long reduce by one cap.

Great and Almighty we be!!!!!!

Have fun Kirby, enjoy the hike!!!!!:)

Alligator
08-21-2007, 21:09
Another measuring option is a 1 tsp dropper carried in the pharmacy. It measures up to 5 mls.

These can actually fall into a soda bottle if a mosquito lands on your hand and you smack your hand will sucking out alcohol. I have replicated this result. In general though, the dropper doesn't fit:) .

Footslogger
08-21-2007, 21:22

Kirby

========================================

Yes ...and in my (unscientific) experience it actually burns hotter and more efficiently ounce per ounce than the denatured alcohol sold in hardward stores.

In fact, that's what we used in our recent hike from Rangeley to Monson. The 12 ounce plastic HEET bottles now have screw caps and could almost be carried as fuel containers themselves. We poured the HEET into our booze flasks and carried it that way.

'Slogger

Pedaling Fool
08-21-2007, 22:26
========================================

...We poured the HEET into our booze flasks and carried it that way.

'Slogger
What'd ya pour your booze into?:confused:

Jim Adams
08-21-2007, 23:16

:banana :banana :banana ...himself!!!!!

geek

JAK
08-22-2007, 08:10
I wonder if there is a country anywhere in the world where ethanol isn't taxed and you can buy it for camp fuel and first aid without it being denatured, other than by paying through the nose. Probably not, but it would be nice to be able to buy a camp fuel that wasn't poisoned. Seems crazy to carry around poison when it doesn't need to be. Well better poisoned than taxed I suppose. :)

SGT Rock
08-22-2007, 08:39
It is legal to make it for your own personal use. Build a still.

oldfivetango
08-22-2007, 08:47
Despite my pyromaniac love affair with my SVEA 123R I am a
devotee to the alcohol stove.I use the booze flask for storage
and a medicine spoon to measure with as my particular stove of
choice,the Brasslite Turbo 2D has the attached pot stand and the
spoon makes it easier to get the fuel in there unspilled.I love the
simmer ring capability or this particular stove.

The one thing I do notice about alkie stoves is the supreme
importance of the wind screen.Use of the windscreen is a bit of
an art and is a fundamental element of success.It should be neither
too tight or too loose.You have to use it a few times before you get it
"down" but you will.

Also,the size and shape of your pot makes a difference as well.And
using a top on the pot is important.I like the fact that there are no
moving parts and pressure involved which could cause a nice little
explosion out in the "middle of nowhere" and/or cause a forrest fire
for the injured hiker to deal with.

Alcohol stoves are great because they are simple and lightweight.
Oldfivetango

SGT Rock
08-22-2007, 08:51
Kirby!!!!! I doubt you will find anything less than a one gallon container of Denatured Alcohol. What will you do with the leftovers?

Here it is in-a-nut-shell, use the bottle cap to measure your fuel. Start off with 3 caps full, if it burns too long reduce by one cap.

Great and Almighty we be!!!!!!

Have fun Kirby, enjoy the hike!!!!!:)
Listen to Zelph. My guess (not being totally familiar with your stove and how you use it) is take a 16 ounce bottle with you. For that section I would probably take 10 ounces myself and expect to have some left overs.

Footslogger
08-22-2007, 08:51

====================================

Keep that in a separate flask maked "Hootch", of course.

'Slogger

SGT Rock
08-22-2007, 08:52
====================================

Keep that in a separate flask maked "Hootch", of course.

'Slogger
For that container and for this section, I would take about 16 ounces of alcohol and I would not expect to have left overs. I guess that depends on how your other stove runs ;)

Footslogger
08-22-2007, 08:57
In reading over all the previous posts (including my own) I realized that there is at least ONE more reason to carry a little extra stove fuel. This time of year the evenings can get pretty darned chilly and sometimes a little fire at your campsite (time and local restrictions permitting) is nice. Often the wood laying on the ground is wet and hard to get burning. On our recent section hike from Rangeley to Monson we got 2 nice little campfires started with the help of an ounce or so of HEET.

Just a thought ...

'Slogger

SGT Rock
08-22-2007, 08:59
Carry some cotton balls soaked in vasaline in a plastic bag, about a dozen. If you need a fire, this works better than using stove fuel for lighting - one is normmaly enough for wet wood, two have never failed me in the past even in the rain.

bullseye
08-22-2007, 16:57
Kirby,

If you get in a bind fuel is available by the ounce at Monson General store as well as White House Landing. MGS charges 18 cents an ounce, I don't know about WHL.

Kirby
08-22-2007, 17:07
How do these stoves work, do you just put the fuel in and drop a match, or is there a different way it should be done?

Kirby
PS:I got my hands on 24 ounces of HEET today, I am going to test my stove once I learn how to properly light it.

Footslogger
08-22-2007, 17:15
[quote=kirbyinanutshell232;395899]How do these stoves work, do you just put the fuel in and drop a match, or is there a different way it should be done?
======================================

Most hikers just strike a match and hold it near the fuel reservoir. Small butane lighers work but sometimes it's hard to get the flame in close enough to the fuel to ignite.

I carry a small plastic tube of wooden stick matches and a very small butate lighter. I primarily use the matches and I put the used matches back inside the tube upside down. If I run out of new matches I just dip the end of the stick in the fuel and ignite it with the lighter and then place it close to the fuel reservoir.

Good that you are experimenting with the stove before you hit the trail. Just be careful NOT to spill the HEET close to the stove. Igniting the stove could/might cause the spilled fuel to ignite too.

'Slogger

bullseye
08-22-2007, 17:27
How do these stoves work, do you just put the fuel in and drop a match, or is there a different way it should be done?

Kirby
PS:I got my hands on 24 ounces of HEET today, I am going to test my stove once I learn how to properly light it.

Footsloggers right on the money, just pour your fuel in the center (start with about a half ounce just to get a feel for how it works) and use a match. I've been using a firesteel to light my stoves lately and like it a lot. Just remember that if you light it in direct sunlight you won't be able to see the flame as alcohol burns invisible.

Kirby
08-22-2007, 19:28
Bullseye:
I am having a hard time lighting the stove because the fuel seeps underneath the inner wall, and does not leave enough fuel in the main hole of the stove for me to light it. Am I doing something wrong here?

Kirby

Appalachian Tater
08-22-2007, 19:32
Kirby, try one of these:

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html

You don't need a base. They are fool-proof unless you pick it up while it's still burning.

Skidsteer
08-22-2007, 19:34
Bullseye:
I am having a hard time lighting the stove because the fuel seeps underneath the inner wall, and does not leave enough fuel in the main hole of the stove for me to light it. Am I doing something wrong here?

Kirby

Hmmm...The fuel should seek it's own level so that there is always at least a bit of fuel left in the center of the stove to light so long as you use enough fuel to crest the top of the convex can bottom. :-? Unless there is a wick in the outer wall that draws the fuel out of the middle.

How much fuel did you use?

Kirby
08-22-2007, 19:38
I am not sure how much fuel I just put in, I am going to try again and put more in, luckily I have extra ounces to learn how to use this thing.

Kirby

Skidsteer
08-22-2007, 19:41
I am not sure how much fuel I just put in, I am going to try again and put more in, luckily I have extra ounces to learn how to use this thing.

Kirby

Take the extra effort to measure your fuel, particularly while testing. It will pay off in confidence in the field.:)

Kirby
08-22-2007, 19:45
VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just lighted mny stove with 100% success, thanks everyone for all the great advice and feedback, thanks Bullseye for the stove, it seems to work pretty well,

VICTORY!!!!!!
Kirby

bullseye
08-22-2007, 20:01
Bullseye:

Kirby

Hey Kirby,
You're talking about the fuel seeping into the space between the inner and outer wall. All soda/beer can stoves of this design do that. Like 'slogger said, measure your fuel so you know what ya' got. Congrads on minor victories, that's what each step is when the going gets tough! It's been so long I don't remember if I sent you a windscreen. Make sure you have one, as they are essential gear with any alky stove.

Kirby
08-22-2007, 20:19
You did send me a windscreen, it proved usefull in the test run. I just need to get my hands on something that holds one ounce so I can be more precise with how fuel I put in.

Kirby

oops56
08-22-2007, 22:08
O K here is a tip put a few drops of food coloring in you alcohol bottle. So you can see it better in stove or if you spill some can see it.And you know its not a soda drink.

neo
08-23-2007, 12:01
I am leaving for Monson on saturday, and starting the wilderness on sunday, I was wondering how many ounces of fuel would be needed to get through the wilderness and on to Katahdin,

Thanks,
Kirby

110 gram cannister of fuel in my jetboil cook 2 meals a day for a week:cool: neo

SteveJ
08-23-2007, 17:48
You did send me a windscreen, it proved usefull in the test run. I just need to get my hands on something that holds one ounce so I can be more precise with how fuel I put in.

Kirby

Hi, Kirby. you probably don't have time before this hike, but I use the following bottle to measure fuel for my alcohol stove:

http://www.brasslite.com/OrderForms/bottleOrder.html#16oz

I'm not at home, and working from memory, but believe the dispensing reservoir that's built into the bottle has 1/4 oz increments.

I also use Aaron's brasslite stove (actually have 2) - they've never let me down!

both the bottle and stove in use on top of Cowrock Mtn:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17786&catid=member&imageuser=6309

oldfivetango
08-23-2007, 23:31
Carry some cotton balls soaked in vasaline in a plastic bag, about a dozen. If you need a fire, this works better than using stove fuel for lighting - one is normmaly enough for wet wood, two have never failed me in the past even in the rain.
Hey Sarge,
I have spiked mine with a few magnesium block shavings
but then again.......I am a confessed pyromaniac who also loves
the bow drill.:banana
Oldfivetango

SGT Rock
08-24-2007, 06:56
Cotton balls don't weigh much, are fire proof, and burn really, really cool ;).

Yesterday I was cleaning out the lint from the dryer and had to go make a fire with it (stuff burns GREAT).

Best fire starter - magniesium trip flares.

Am I a fire bug?

Farr Away
08-24-2007, 07:28
Kirby,

Use a clear plastic bottle (I use a recycled chocolate milk bottle that came in a kids meal from Burger King), and a permanent marker to put 1 oz. markings on opposite sides of the bottle. That way you can pour directly into the stove - no worries about spilling from the cap.

I don't know if the design of your alcohol stove allows for this, but I light mine using a lighter through one of the side vents. Works better for me than trying to light it through the center hole.

-FarrAway

Kirby
08-24-2007, 09:04
Thanks for the advice everyone.

:banana:bananaKirby:banana:banana

oldfivetango
08-24-2007, 09:19
Everyone should note that lighters come with a warning
as to how many seconds you can let it run at a time.
Consult the directions on the side of the lighter or the package
it came in.

After seeing the work safety video of a welder whose leg
was blown off his body by a gas lighter I have adopted the
use of a match or match/candle combo.

What happened was a hot spark corrupted the plastic side
wall of the lighter causing it to become a "mini-grenade" which
resulted in the injury.

Pretty cool,huh?!!:D So stay safe out there in the middle of nowhere.
Oldfivetango

bulldog49
08-24-2007, 09:54
64 posts and counting on how to use an alchol stove.

This is why I prefer canister stoves. Something you might want to consider Kirby. Just screw the burner on the canister, turn the knob and light. Plus, you have flame control and half the wait for your meal to cook. ;)

JAK
08-24-2007, 10:10
When lighting stoves with a minilighter, wood or alcohol, I light a beeswax candle and then use that to light the stove. I got this box of Greek Orthodox candles really cheap at Marden's in Maine. Never know what you might find there. They get surplus stuff from the strangest sources. The Greek Orthodox only use 100% beeswax and I guess they go though a lot of them. They are a nice size for lighting things, and contain about 0.5 oz of wax. If my birchbark or spruce sticks are giving be any grief I let some wax drip. Alcohol stoves I don't use too much. If I do its just a tealight, but I'm working on that. Anyhow the wax might be good for some but not for others. Anyway, it's something I always include in my fire kit.

JAK
08-24-2007, 10:13
64 posts and counting on how to use an alchol stove.

This is why I prefer canister stoves. Something you might want to consider Kirby. Just screw the burner on the canister, turn the knob and light. Plus, you have flame control and half the wait for your meal to cook. ;)Hey. Kirby's a Mainer. I'm sure he doesn't mess with those weenie canister stoves, even if he is from Portland. :)

JAK
08-24-2007, 10:15
How's that flame control working for yah now? :D

jnetx
08-24-2007, 10:30
To maiximize the distance between the alcohol, the lighted flame, and your hand. Add measured alcohol to stove. Pick up a small thin twig, dunk it in the alcohol reservoir in the stove for a few seconds. Light the fueled end of the twig with the lighter, light the stove with the now burning twig. Make sure you fully extinguish the twig before discarding it.

HUGS - J

bulldog49
08-24-2007, 10:51
Hey. Kirby's a Mainer. I'm sure he doesn't mess with those weenie canister stoves, even if he is from Portland. :)

Maybe so. But on a recent trip, the guys who could not get their alcohol stove to work did not think my canister was a weenie when they used it to cook their dinner.

And the flame control is still working fine. :rolleyes:

leeki pole
08-24-2007, 11:12
110 gram cannister of fuel in my jetboil cook 2 meals a day for a week:cool: neo
jetboil rocks! no worries, mate! :cool:

Kirby
08-24-2007, 14:14
I am enjoying my alcohol stove, it works great, and it is simple to use.

Kirby