PDA

View Full Version : Good News and Bad News (maybe)

SGT Rock
08-21-2007, 10:35
Good News - I officially came out on the promotion list to Sergeant Major today. As NCOs go that is the top of the food chain - nothing but appointments to positions after that, this would be top of the pay scale. But to take it would mean about 3-4 more years in the Army - and I am not sure I want to do that anymore. I want to retire and be a trail bum. Thru-hike planned, mail drops going together, shake down hikes already planned.

Bad News (maybe) - I don't yet have an approved retirement. This means they can deny it and I have to stay in. BUT they haven't officially denied it yet, so there is still a chance.

Keep your fingers crossed...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-21-2007, 10:38
::: Dino seen with all fingers and toes crossed and praying - with comforting tail wrapped around Dixie and the boys (including the big one in the uniform :D) :::

peanuts
08-21-2007, 10:47
i second, fd's sentiment....

Yahtzee
08-21-2007, 10:56
However the retirement issue works out, big Congrats on being offered Sargent Major. And a thanks for the service.

As my drill used to say when impressed, "That's some highspeed sh*%, right there."

zelph
08-21-2007, 11:01
As Sgt. Major you'll get to rub shoulders with the top brass and get close to the right source that will keep you state side. Get some cush job along the AT. Hike on the weekends with family and friends. Like you said, top of the food/pay chain. Retire in 4 years with the big bucks. Sometimes I think you're lifer material, your site is military oriented. We need good men like you in the service of our country. Thanks for all you have done so far. When you said:
I'm not sure if I want to do that any more means your between a rock and a hard place. :)

Mags
08-21-2007, 11:03
Congrats on whatever happens. Sgt. Major is quite the honor. Being a hiking bum is a different, if more dubious, honor as well. :)

Good luck in whatever choice you make!

JAK
08-21-2007, 11:04
Congratulations, but best wishes also.
Soldier, trail bum, makes no difference.
Either way, you're still the Rock.

But if you make God Almighty before you thru-hike somebody will kick your ass.

the goat
08-21-2007, 11:17
congrats, rock! i've got my cloven hooves crossed for you!

Gray Blazer
08-21-2007, 11:22
Congratulations!! Thanks for your service to our country and your website!!

Jim Adams
08-21-2007, 11:26
Good deal!
hope that what ever choice you make will be good for you, just realize that what ever the choice, I am proud of you. Thank you for your services!
geek

T-Dubs
08-21-2007, 11:29
Good News - I officially came out on the promotion list to Sergeant Major today. As NCOs go that is the top of the food chain - nothing but appointments to positions after that, this would be top of the pay scale. But to take it would mean about 3-4 more years in the Army - and I am not sure I want to do that anymore. I want to retire and be a trail bum. Thru-hike planned, mail drops going together, shake down hikes already planned.

Congratulations on the promotion.

So the decision comes down to being a poor trail bum now or a trail bum with style in four years. Tough choice. Right now, four years seems like a long time but in the overall scheme of things....

Tom--retired at the very first chance I had!

Pedalsndirt
08-21-2007, 11:31
SGT ROCK,

Never having been in the military all I can do is give you my full support ands best wishes in whichever life trail you choose (or is given to you) to travel.

I sense that you already know what you would like to do, doesn't sound too far from what I would like to do.

Good Luck.

gregdog
08-21-2007, 11:36
Wow, to be in line for Sergeant Major at 40, that is an accomplishment, and hard to walk away from I'm sure. Good luck either way.

TJ aka Teej
08-21-2007, 11:53
I officially came out on the promotion list to Sergeant Major today.

Outstanding, Rock!

Wonder
08-21-2007, 11:55
I'm in a contorted knot right now hoping for your retirement! Best of Luck!

jesse
08-21-2007, 12:30
If you stay 3-4 more years at the higher pay, how would that affect your retirment pay. This may be an offer you can't refuse. Best wishes

Toolshed
08-21-2007, 12:31
Sgt Rock,
Gotta be tough to give up the Mil after so many year. SM/CSM is a great opportunity for a few years - Nice to have the stripes too...

It is hard to look in the mirror after you get out and think of yourself as anything other than a soldier and it takes some time to transition back to civilian life. Have you thought about the reserve or the guard as a transition?
Either way, With 2 great communities so close (Military and WB) I don't think you will suffer from a lack of support for your decision!!! :)

Rain Man
08-21-2007, 12:34
Good News - I officially came out on the promotion list to Sergeant Major today....

Sergeant Major? Doesn't that mean you have to appear in British musicals, or some such?!!! LOL

Best to you, Rock, whichever way it goes.

Rain:sunMan

Footslogger
08-21-2007, 12:45
[quote=SGT Rock;395086]Good News - I officially came out on the promotion list to Sergeant Major today. As NCOs go that is the top of the food chain - nothing but appointments to positions after that, this would be top of the pay scale. But to take it would mean about 3-4 more years in the Army - and I am not sure I want to do that anymore. I want to retire and be a trail bum. Thru-hike planned, mail drops going together, shake down hikes already planned.

======================================

You keep this up Rock and they're gonna offer you a commission. Then you'd have to change your screen name here at Whiteblaze.

Whatever happens ...best of luck soldier !!

'Slogger

Sly
08-21-2007, 12:50
If you stay 3-4 more years at the higher pay, how would that affect your retirment pay. This may be an offer you can't refuse. Best wishes

Money isn't everything. After 20 something years of serving, I vote trail bum. Should I start a poll? ;)

Kludos either way...

Sly
08-21-2007, 12:51
Hey, if they deny your retirement are you automatically promoted?

Jaybird
08-21-2007, 12:56
Good News - I officially came out on the promotion list to Sergeant Major today. As NCOs go that is the top of the food chain - nothing but appointments to positions after that, this would be top of the pay scale. But to take it would mean about 3-4 more years in the Army - and I am not sure I want to do that anymore. I want to retire and be a trail bum. Thru-hike planned, mail drops going together, shake down hikes already planned.Bad News (maybe) - I don't yet have an approved retirement. This means they can deny it and I have to stay in. BUT they haven't officially denied it yet, so there is still a chance.

RETIRE with a pay cut!...if possible...if not...the Cave has MORE room...hehehehehe:D

Furlough
08-21-2007, 13:04
Rock,
My guess is there is a hold on your retirement paperwork pending the outcome of the SGTSMAJ board and your decision to accept or turn down the promotion.

If the NCO system is anything like the officer system, turning down the promotion becomes another qualifier for allowing the retirement. But as you and I are well aware normal rules do not necessarily apply in our current operational environment.

I plan on putting my paperwork in for the second time this Nov., after they publish the results of the COLs board. (I was disapproved on my first attempt in 2005).

At any rate a hearty congrats on your selection this is a great accomplishment and something you and your family I am certain are justifiably proud of regardless of your desire to retire.

Furlough

hopefulhiker
08-21-2007, 13:09
Congratulations, If they deny your retirement how long will you have to stay in and postpone your thru hike?

TOW
08-21-2007, 13:28

Bad News (maybe) - I don't yet have an approved retirement. This means they can deny it and I have to stay in. BUT they haven't officially denied it yet, so there is still a chance.

you definetly deserve the rank, something to consider. but you are as well liked here in this community, so perhaps it is time to really consider what matters most in your life.

you are a gifted writer and speaker. along with being a man of honor there is no doubt that you will excell in whatever choice you decide.

SGT Rock
08-21-2007, 13:33
Thanks all. You guys are great.

I got the backdoor word last week that I made it. This week I got the final word I had. A while back I submitted my retirement and decided the promition doesn't matter - I gotta hang up my spurs at some point and I figured it was best to do it on my terms and this spring was my terms. But as Furlough pointed out - the Army today aint't the Army I have been in years past. Retirment is something you have to request and get approved. Right now it isn't approved (the way the rules on that work would have already kept me off the list) and now since I am under the Sergeant Major Branch (as of making the list officially today) they can say no and very well may.

The amount of time I have to spend in beyond today is based on a lot of "what-if's", It could be as short as 2 1/2 years and as long as 4 years depending on what goes on between now and my final day in the Army. There are too many factors to plan on, but what is for sure is I will not be able to stay in the Knoxville area for much longer if I do have to stay in.

My wife and I are discussing options and COAs. Too many unknows to speculate on, but if I do end up staying in we'll make the best of it and I'll still be a thru-hiker in the future, only it will have to be 2010, 2011, or 2012.

dixicritter
08-21-2007, 13:41
I just want to go on record as one of the proudest critters around these parts today. I've been telling him he would make the list, but he wouldn't listen to me. ;)

As to what happens next... well we take that one step at a time. The kids and I will continue to support Rock 100% no matter the outcome as we always have!

Footslogger
08-21-2007, 13:44
[quote=SGT Rock;395188]
I got the backdoor word last week that I made it. This week I got the final word I had.

========================================

Sounds like that avatar of yours might need an upgrade Rock !!

I admire your attitude. Probably still the same today ...but when I was in ('68 - '71) the US ARMY we wore on our fatigues stood for "UNCLE SAM AIN'T RELEASED ME YET".

Hang tough. The trail isn't going anywhere.

'Slogger

SGT Rock
08-21-2007, 13:47
Yea well, if they frock me soon, I'll upgrade it LOL.

Furlough
08-21-2007, 13:51
Yea well, if they frock me soon, I'll upgrade it LOL.

Rock,
Just be sure the Frocking does not turn into a F^*#!*$. :D

Furlough

Furlough
08-21-2007, 13:55
I just want to go on record as one of the proudest critters around these parts today. I've been telling him he would make the list, but he wouldn't listen to me. ;)

As to what happens next... well we take that one step at a time. The kids and I will continue to support Rock 100% no matter the outcome as we always have!

Dixie Critter,
From one old soldier to the true back bone of our Army (Military Spouses). Congrats to you and thank you for supporting your soldier through thick and thin. We soldiers could not do this mission without the support of our Loved Ones.

V/R
Furlough

illusionistG
08-21-2007, 14:25
Sarge...congrats. We miss you out here in the big sand. Today was 122F. Bet ya miss it. At your age this is a major achievement. The trail will always be there and so will your family,friends and support structure. Whatever your decision will be, it will be the right one, because to be where you are right now was based on making the right decisions.

JAK
08-21-2007, 14:28
Thanks Dixie. There's a brighter future for the world yet.
Some only see the evil of Pandora's Box. Some see the Hope.

I read Pandora's Box for the first time myself to my daughter last night.
Rightly it was the children's version. They are from where all hope comes.

Reminds me of the story "The Doll's House", by Katherine Mansfield.

http://www.lamaquinadeltiempo.com/mansfield/04dollh.htm
"I seen the little lamp," she said, softly.
Then both were silent once more.

mweinstone
08-21-2007, 14:35
good news...sarge is a rock.
bad news...goldfish crackers now come in dazziling brilliant colors.

suport sarget rock ? yes
ps, the guy (jimmy) who is your double to the exact, was at rutland and is a fine fellow. he really really really looks like you sarge. anyone got a pic of jim?

leeki pole
08-21-2007, 14:44
you definetly deserve the rank, something to consider. but you are as well liked here in this community, so perhaps it is time to really consider what matters most in your life.

you are a gifted writer and speaker. along with being a man of honor there is no doubt that you will excell in whatever choice you decide.
I second TOW wholeheartedly. Thanks for your service, Sergeant Rock.

SGT Rock
08-21-2007, 15:37
Rock,
Just be sure the Frocking does not turn into a F^*#!*$. :D

Furlough
I was planning on changing the diamond on first sergeant to an AT symbol when I retire. Something like this. But I reckon I'll go with SGM rank until I retire if I stick around as a Sergeant Major

JAK
08-21-2007, 15:46
I see your not planning on busting yourself back down to private trail bum. :)

SGT Rock
08-21-2007, 15:48
Hell no. I get to decide who sleeps in the shelter and who has privy detail.

Footslogger
08-21-2007, 15:51
Hell no. I get to decide who sleeps in the shelter and who has privy detail.

=============================

There you go Rock ...RHIP !!

'Slogger

Roland
08-21-2007, 16:03
The Army has learned a lot about retention. They know a good man when they see one.

Only you and your family can make the right decision, Rock.

Congratulations and good luck.

hopefulhiker
08-21-2007, 17:51
Heck, you can still hike the trail as an old fart like I did...

SteveJ
08-21-2007, 18:49
Getting in on the thread late, but support everything everyone else has said. CONGRATS! Thank you for serving, Rock. Thank you for supporting him the way you do, Dixie! Hopefully, you'll have options here, and can make decisions on your terms.... My brother retired from the Marine Corp after 20 last spring. he didn't make the master sergeant list, and that was the last straw...fortunately (for him and the Marine Corp, I think), he was able to get out with no barriers....

Tha Wookie
08-21-2007, 19:06
Rock, congrats.... and thanks for serving our country!

Knowing you're on the job makes it easier to sleep at night.

The Old Fhart
08-21-2007, 19:07
HopefulHiker-"Heck, you can still hike the trail as an old fart like I did..."....or I did!:D

Congratulations, SGT. Having retired a while ago I can tell you that work is highly overrated.

Nearly Normal
08-21-2007, 22:56
What's the re-up signing bonus?
If you can write your own ticket it might be very worth your while.
The trail ain't going nowhere.
But I know what you mean by wanting to get out and HYOH.
Sounds like a family meeting is in order.

Nearly Normal

buckowens
08-21-2007, 23:45
What's the re-up signing bonus?
If you can write your own ticket it might be very worth your while.
The trail ain't going nowhere.
But I know what you mean by wanting to get out and HYOH.
Sounds like a family meeting is in order.

Nearly Normal

Rock,

First, Congratulations are in order!

Pete56 hit the nail on the head. I know what you mean about the decision, cause you and I both know that it could mean two or more deployments by the time you get out. A SGM/CSM with combat experience is a commodity.

Mother Army needs to get a bit smarter about their deployment lengths for sure. Mine in the airplane are now only 6 months so I have no room to gripe at all.

Whatever you decide will be what's right for you. To quote and twist a phrase we are all familiar with "It's your Army, do it the way you need to do it"! :D (with the families consent of course...)

Good luck!

greentick
08-22-2007, 00:50
So... it's Sar'majr or the Smadge vs Top...

Congrats either way you go my friend.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-22-2007, 08:19
::: Dino peeks into tail which is still curled protectively around the Rock-Critter family and tells Creek-Hopper to quit poking her tail with that stick :D. Continued prayers :::

Rock, he-dino sends his congrats on the Sgt Major list.

As others have noted, the Army may offer a write-your-own-ticket bonus that makes this worthy of consideration. However, I know how much you are looking forward to your thru and how much have missed being home with Dixie (who can blame you :D), Creek-Hopper and Dead Man Walking. I also know you have been away for about 90% of your only grandchild's life and your daughter is now living in this area. These thing figure in as well.

We Dinos understand the dilemma this puts you in all too well and will support you and Dixie in whatever decision you make.

SGT Rock
08-22-2007, 08:32
Well as a lifer, there are no bonuses other than the promotion and a pay raise, and all that other jazz. Sergeant Major's pay is about $8,000 more a year than I make now. Over the next three years that comes out to a $24,000 bonus - not to mention sticking around would raise my retirement by a good bit. But it is only money - I never wanted to be rich (or else I wouldn't have joined the Army in the first place).

The deal is this: I am on indefinite status, which really means I was going to have to stay in until 2011. Now that I am promotoable I have until 2015 - that is just the system. Getting out earlier than that is a privlidge. Above that, getting a retirement is a favorable action. They only selcted 67 guys in my branch (Armor) this year for Sergeant Major - and this selection is like a selection for assignement that is only done once a year. They need 67 guys promoted (well maybe about 65) and they plan on getting 67 guys. They can deny my retirement based on the needs of the Army - and they can also use rules similar to Declination of Assignment and tell me I can decline, but I need a waiver and have to be out within 6 months of the request.

Anyway, it is all a bunch of what-if's at this point as well. My request is at HRC.

JAK
08-22-2007, 09:13
I know your a real person and all, but where is C. S. Forester when we need
him. When you are finally done this would make excellent trail reading for the rest of us. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horatio_Hornblower

Anyhow, may your second career as a trail bum be as long and illustrious as this one has been.

Outlaw
08-22-2007, 09:59
Rock,

I too offer my (somewhat belated) kudos to you and your family on being considered for such a prestigious promotion. Tough decisions to be made, although the Army seems to have a lot of say in your planning.

My two thoughts: (1) as already pointed out, money ain't everything, but it sures helps in making for a comfortable future, especially with the responsibility of a young family. (2) you are 40 yrs old, hardly an old fart. If you can't thru-hike the AT until 2012, you'll still be just in your mid-40's. Thankfully, you still have a lot of years ahead of you!

Good luck and God Speed!

SGT Rock
08-22-2007, 11:33
I reckon this will end the thread - or maybe not...

I got my retirement approved. Trail Bum it is.

Footslogger
08-22-2007, 11:40

============================

That's GREAT news ...but did/will you get the promotion ???

'Slogger

Skidsteer
08-22-2007, 11:42

Congratulations!

SGT Rock
08-22-2007, 11:43
============================

That's GREAT news ...but did/will you get the promotion ???

'Slogger
Nope, I will retire at E8 - 1SG.

Mags
08-22-2007, 11:48

That deserves dancing bananas! :banana:banana:banana:banana

Footslogger
08-22-2007, 11:49

======================================

Well ...one out of 2 ain't bad. At least you got your walking/hiking papers (so to speak !!)

'Slogger

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-22-2007, 12:04
::: Dino carefully unwraps tail from around Rock - Critter family and does many, many cartwheels :::

Marta
08-22-2007, 12:26
Congratulations--on the offer of promotion, and even more on the approval of your retirement! You'll be that much younger when you start your new careers as Trail Bum, and then whatever comes after. Dixie and the boys must be thrilled, too! A Rock on US soil is so much less worrisome than a Rock far away...

Congratulations, again!
Marta/Five-Leaf

Outlaw
08-22-2007, 12:43
[quote=SGT Rock;395712]I got my retirement approved. Trail Bum it is. /quote]

I expected you to include some (at least one) dancing bananas. That sounds like great news to me, but are YOU happy with it? Can you still stay on and get the promotion if that is what you ultimately want?

Congrats either way!

Mother Nature
08-22-2007, 12:52
I have been holding my breath and holding my comment until I learned which decision you or the Army would make. As a military Mom, all we do is support you guys :-) andthe life of service you have chosen.

Still waiting for my son to come home. He has been in Iraq 28 of the past 36 months.

Glad you have become a trail bum! Thank you for your service. Enjoy your family now. You deserve the family time now!

MN

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-22-2007, 13:07
I clearly heard this (http://www.sonymusic.com/clips/selection/30/065950/065950_01_24_30.wav)up toward the mountains.

zelph
08-22-2007, 13:16
:banana :banana :banana :banana

Need I say More??????????????????

JAK
08-22-2007, 13:16
I clear heard this (http://www.sonymusic.com/clips/selection/30/065950/065950_01_24_30.wav)up toward the mountains.When I heard that last chorus my heart Baroque. :p

dixicritter
08-22-2007, 14:30
Just received the fax of the orders.... It's for real!!! :D

Footslogger
08-22-2007, 14:32

=====================================

Fantastic !! ...so how long is the mustering out process these days ??

'Slogger

dixicritter
08-22-2007, 14:35
According to his orders he is being placed on the "retired list" effective 1 May 2008, just as planned, which should mean his plans of starting his leave will be on track for around 25 or 26 January 2008.

He's gonna be a trail bum.... wooo hoooo!!! Wait a minute, does that mean he'll be hanging around here all the time... I might wanna rethink this one. ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-22-2007, 14:41
::: Dino doing cartwheels up and down Alcoa Highway. State Troopers at a loss regarding how to subdue the massive creature :::

JAK
08-22-2007, 14:43
So dc, how long until your retirement?
Will you be starting a second career as a trail bum any time soon?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-22-2007, 14:43
Dixie - do the boys know yet or are they still at school? Could have sworn I just heard a high pitched 'YeeHaw' from up toward the mountains.....

The Weasel
08-22-2007, 14:46

Rock - as you know, SMaj chevrons aren't handed out like popcorn, and it means the Army thinks more of you than even we do, which is a lot, as you know. There's actually one more 'food chain' level, but yeah, there's only one SMA. But most people who know don't refer to it as "top of the food chain" (which is a modest way of putting it). It means you're just tops. Period.

That means you're going to think about it, and it's not for us, I don't think, to say, "Yeah, do it," or "No, don't." Thats for you, for your wife, and for those you work with to discuss with you and, ultimately, to decide on your own.

Everyone here will respect you and like you regardless of what you do. And if you decide to go for it, the Trail will still be there; if you decline, the Trail will welcome you as much as it will in future years.

The Weasel

The Weasel
08-22-2007, 14:47

Saw this after my earlier post. My greatest joy today, for all of you.

The Weasel

atraildreamer
08-22-2007, 15:28
Whatever happens Rock...don't let them call you "Sir" :eek:
Remember...you work for a living! :D

TOW
08-22-2007, 20:36
I was planning on changing the diamond on first sergeant to an AT symbol when I retire. Something like this. But I reckon I'll go with SGM rank until I retire if I stick around as a Sergeant Major
that is so cool! hahaha:D

TOW
08-22-2007, 20:38

yeppereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Two Speed
08-22-2007, 20:52
Congratulations and Happy Trails!

rickb
08-22-2007, 20:54
A retirement well deserved!

Congrats to you and Dixicritter.

Kirby
08-22-2007, 21:06
I send my congratulations both on being offered the promotion and on your retirement being approved, no matter what decisions you make hence forth, I wish you the best of luck.

The future is a series of winding roads that lead to the unknown,
Kirby

Jan LiteShoe
08-22-2007, 21:07
Just received the fax of the orders.... It's for real!!!

Woohoo! Belated congrats on making the Sgt.Maj. list, and celebration for your retirement approval.
:)

Banannas all around!
:banana:banana:banana

Kerosene
08-22-2007, 21:35
Oh, I've got to add my congratulations on your promotion and retirement, and thanks for your contributions to our country, to the list of well-wishers. All the best to you and your family. I hope I get the honor of meeting you in person one day.

SGT Rock
08-23-2007, 08:11
155 days left. I'm a short timer.

Check out the new rank:

First Sergeant of AT Company

TOW
08-23-2007, 08:12
155 days left. I'm a short timer.

Check out the new rank:

First Sergeant of AT Company
So who is under your command, and please give their ranks too.

SGT Rock
08-23-2007, 08:21
We need to hold a formation first and figure out who has potential.

Alligator
08-23-2007, 08:22
Now that you've got things settled, CONGRATULATIONS and THANK YOU for your many years of service.

hopefulhiker
08-23-2007, 08:29
Happy Trails!

woodsy
08-23-2007, 08:33

Fall in !
I was a cav scout!
Congrats on looking forward to your new life Sargent of the AT!
If I recall correctly (long time ago) shortly before being discharged(honorably nevertheless) from the Army, my superiors barraged me with comments like "you'll never make it in the real world soldier" in an attempt to re-up me.
They couldn't have been more wrong. :D

The Old Fhart
08-23-2007, 08:36
The Only Wanderer-"So who is under your command, and please give their ranks too."If Rock is 'First Sergeant of AT Company', everyone under his command is somewhat rank!:eek: I know you've been waiting a looong time to lead your new 'company' out in the field, Rock, and we'll be looking forward to reading your trail journal. Best of luck on your 2008 thru hike! Hey, your good news deserves dancing bananas.:banana :banana

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-23-2007, 08:40
Hurumph.... She-dino would like to apply for the position of TI. With the whipping tail and sharp pointy little teeth, she is immensely qualified.

JAK
08-23-2007, 11:28
If I ever hike the AT it will be for the clouds and trees and animals and of course, the rocks.

The Weasel
08-23-2007, 11:36

Umm, Rock?

I think it's time for a field commission.

Let's start with one bar. A white one, of course. Sir.

The Weasel

JAK
08-23-2007, 17:55
Umm, Rock?

I think it's time for a field commission.

Let's start with one bar. A white one, of course. Sir.

The WeaselI'm not sure if he was planning on being that much of a bum. :)

SGT Rock
08-23-2007, 17:56
Who wants to be busted back to Trail Lieutenant? As a First Sergeant they better damn well listen to me.

JAK
08-23-2007, 18:00
You're damn right.

JAK, Sub-Lieutenant (RET) :D

SGT Rock
08-23-2007, 18:03
I mean really, that rank is so low they put it on trees. Wouldn't take a genius to pin it on.

JAK
08-23-2007, 18:14
I mean really, that rank is so low they put it on trees. Wouldn't take a genius to pin it on.Hey now. Some of my best friends are trees, but only a few of them have earned my rank.

rickb
08-23-2007, 18:28

I am thinking that you will need salute and cede shelter space to those who went through ATI*, correct?

*WD's Appalachian Trail Institute

JAK
08-23-2007, 18:36
Hey now. Some of my best friends are trees, but only a few of them have earned my rank.I had a heck of a time on switchbacks before I remembered from basic training not to salute in the field. Damn things out rank me by half a stripe.

SGT Rock
08-23-2007, 18:52
1st Lieutenant, second award. Hardly impressive ;)

buckowens
08-23-2007, 19:18
I'm not sure if he was planning on being that much of a bum. :)

You guys are killing me!!! LOL If you need a good Warrant Officer for the trail I will be honored to be considered. I know, we Warrants gripe occasionally, but we are sometimes handy to have around... Might need an aerial resupply or something :rolleyes: .

I am sending the new rank to my 1SG as soon as I finish this. He thinks I am already crazy for this long stretch of dirt path anyway :D .

Heater
08-23-2007, 19:42

Congratulations on your decision to retire. You are still young and have plenty of time to start a new career after your thru. You'll have a lot of time to decide what that is on the trail.

Congratulations.

:sun

The Weasel
08-23-2007, 19:48
Who wants to be busted back to Trail Lieutenant? As a First Sergeant they better damn well listen to me.

Ummm...Sarge? You're planning on herding cats?

The Weasel

SGT Rock
08-23-2007, 21:22
You guys are killing me!!! LOL If you need a good Warrant Officer for the trail I will be honored to be considered. I know, we Warrants gripe occasionally, but we are sometimes handy to have around... Might need an aerial resupply or something :rolleyes: .

I am sending the new rank to my 1SG as soon as I finish this. He thinks I am already crazy for this long stretch of dirt path anyway :D .

Attitudes with mustaches. Too lazy to be an NCO and not smart enough for a commission ;)

But I could use a re-supply.

Ummm...Sarge? You're planning on herding cats?

The Weasel

Trying to get out of that business actually LOL :D

map man
08-23-2007, 22:26
I, too, say congratulations on your upcoming retirement and I'm happy for you and your family. Thank you for your over twenty years of service to our country.

Now, about this suggested forming of a WhiteBlaze unit under your command -- I volunteer to be a private. Not everybody can be an officer. Just so long as I don't have to salute or take any orders from anybody:D . I have very few skills other than my ability to read a map and play around with numbers and my willingness to walk and walk and sleep on the cold hard ground when the day is through.

The Weasel
08-23-2007, 22:54
Attitudes with mustaches. Too lazy to be an NCO and not smart enough for a commission ;)

If you think your current job is herding cats, well, wait until you see the 'formation' of thru hikers. Yeah. Right. Don't get hoarse.

The Weasel

Deerleg
08-24-2007, 08:20
Thanks Rock. Thanks for your service to our country. Thanks for your positive influence in shaping companies of young men and your leadership on this forum. I stumbled across one of your articles years ago, which eventually lead me to WB. You have helped me refine my hiking style and have influenced when and where I hike. (thru-hiked the Smokies in 3 1/2 days after reading your thoughts on a lightweight approach to that section) Every hike just gets better and better. I can’t imagine how much you must be looking forward to the new chapters that will be opening up the next couple of years and beyond. While there is always uncertainty associated with change I have a feeling you will continue to be a leader and will embrace the change. Your thoughtful comments throughout this forum have added moderation and humor. I look forward to your continued insight for years to come!

SGT Rock
08-24-2007, 09:03
Damn, my hat doesn't fit anymore.

JAK
08-24-2007, 09:56
Damn, my hat doesn't fit anymore.I'm sure Dixicritter and your close friends have a cure for that.

Revhiker
08-24-2007, 11:06
Hello all,
New

Revhiker
08-24-2007, 11:08
Hello all, Dont know what happened there...but was going to say....I am new here, been reading for awhile. I got a chuckle out of this thread!! just wanted to say Thanks Rock for your service to our country!!

buckowens
08-25-2007, 08:46

Rock,

I read this and laughed outloud! I realize that my picture on the site has me sporting my deployment mustache as well :D , which lends to your theory... I then sat back and thought of every Warrant that I deal with in my state who is not an Aviator. Not that we don't have some bad eggs in Aviation, but our other ones are not worth a darn. So you got me there!! I am partial to CW4 over 24 with 840.00 per month flight pay so I think I will stick it out!!!

I actually have the privilege of working with some fine NCO's in Homeland Defense, and have a First Sergeant as my NCOIC. He keeps me pretty straight and lets me do the yelling, and we both take care of the soldiers as best we can. I am old school, so I still believe in eating last, not asking someone to do something you would not do and all the crazy ideas that ROTC, OCS and the Commissioning Academies have left out...

grquinn
08-25-2007, 08:55

What an honor! Rock on! Whatever you do don't shut down your website!

Best,

G.R.

The Weasel
08-26-2007, 22:22
Hope to see that new AT set of chevrons walking everywhere. But can you ever qualify to be 'hiker trash'? I don't THINK so!

The Weasel