PDA

View Full Version : Go Lite Jam 2

wrongway_08
08-21-2007, 15:38
Go Lite Jam 2, 3100 in., 1 lb 6 oz.
Any body use this?
1- How has it held up?
2- Is it comfy, what weight do you carry in it?
3- Did it come with a rain cover?

While I like my Skareb, the Jam 2 has straps for the tent on the out side and has 2 zippered pockets.

It is also 2 lbs, 3 oz lighter. (actual weight of my Skareb turned out to be 3 lb 9 oz, not the 2 lb 15 oz North Face says it is)

Anyways, just thinking about trying it out, I might order one in and take it for a hike.

chiefdaddy
08-21-2007, 16:13
I use a Go lite jam pack and the straps have no padding at all and can be painful. I use sleeping pad foam under mine until I toughin up :D takes about a week of pain to carry such a feather weight pack! i like mine though, had it out about a months worth of hiking total with no issues.

Dr O
08-21-2007, 17:07
Has anyone used both the Jam2 and the ULA Conduit?

greentick
08-22-2007, 00:46
Has anyone used both the Jam2 and the ULA Conduit?

I've got a Jam and ULA Circuit. Is that close enough?

wrongway_08
08-22-2007, 08:34
What do you think of them?

greentick
08-22-2007, 22:17
The ULA Circuit is my main pack. I think the Circuit and Conduit are very similiar with the main packbag being bigger on the Circuit. I got the Jam on a closeout sale for $50 just before I ordered the ULA. I like that both are constructed of dyneema - very durable. The pockets are way superior on the ULA and it has great hipbelt pockets. Not necessarily a bash on the Jam, just a personal pref. I dig pockets. The ULAs pockets are constructed of a nonstretchy indestructible mesh. WIth the weight gained you get a real hipbelt and a suspension hoop which works great. THe ULAs weight limit is 35#. I have had every bit of that in on local hikes and it carries perfectly - I can transfer almost all the weight to the hips.

The Jam is a very simple design, one big packbag, 2 bottle pockets, and a front zip pocket. I think the Jam2 follows the same design. There is no frame at all and the hipbelt is very basic. I did use it on an overnight with my son and probably had 25# loaded in it - including a 6# tent, all the food, water filter, etc. It actually carried much better than I thought but I had a sleeping mat inside that provided padding and used the tent poles as "stays" of a sort. It allows decent weight transfer. All in all I am pretty happy with it, considering what I paid.

I probably could have gotten by with the Conduit but like having the extra space of the Circuit available if I need it, like when I hike with my son. Also, I like Brian's (of ULA) attitude and the fact that it is a small, USA-based biz.

Here is a pic of my summer kit (I think I was using my cook kit ti pot, etoh stove)
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17715&catid=member&imageuser=6848