PDA

View Full Version : Should poles bend this easily?

Actuary
08-21-2007, 17:31
I bought a brand new pair of anti-shock Komperdell poles a few months ago. A couple weeks ago, I took them out for the first time hiking from Abol Bridge to Katahdin Stream. The ground along the Penobscot was pretty soft here and at one point, my left pole dug in several inches and got a bit stuck. I was moving at a fast pace and didn't react quickly enough so my left boot smashed fairly hard into the bottom of the pole. When I lifted the pole out of the ground, I noticed it was obviously bent at an awkward angle and the point of the pole would not make direct contact with the ground

Does this kind of thing "just happen" to trekking poles if you're not careful or do you think this is a defect in the pole? I don't think they're still under warranty but it would be nice to get a replacement.

Phreak
08-21-2007, 19:01
It is common for this happen to trekking poles.

1azarus
08-21-2007, 20:09
which is why i prefer left over ski poles without the baskets... stronger, lighter, usually free /.<)

Lone Wolf
08-21-2007, 20:11
It is common for this happen to trekking poles.

good reason not to use the things.

Phreak
08-21-2007, 20:37
good reason not to use the things.

They are very beneficial if you know how to properly use them.

Lone Wolf
08-21-2007, 20:38
They are very beneficial if you know how to properly use them.

really? explain

Skidsteer
08-21-2007, 20:43
really? explain

Rule # 1:

Don't step on them.

Toolshed
08-21-2007, 20:48
Rule 2
Hands up through the straps and down onto the pole. Means you do not have to grip them tight at all to reduce chances of them getting stuck and then bent.

Phreak
08-21-2007, 21:04
really? explain
Most importanly, they reduce the strain/stress on your joints. They also increase endurance, speed, balance.

Actuary
08-21-2007, 21:08
Rule 2
Hands up through the straps and down onto the pole. Means you do not have to grip them tight at all to reduce chances of them getting stuck and then bent.

I would think how hard you grip the pole would have no correlation to them getting stuck in the ground. If you're using them to take weight off your knees and you're traveing on moss, they will get stuck. I just can't believe that something that costs over $100 would warp so easily. At least I got these things for over 50% off. Next time I'm getting the cheapest Swiss Gear ones from Target.

Skidsteer
08-21-2007, 21:14
I bought a brand new pair of anti-shock Komperdell poles a few months ago. A couple weeks ago, I took them out for the first time hiking from Abol Bridge to Katahdin Stream. The ground along the Penobscot was pretty soft here and at one point, my left pole dug in several inches and got a bit stuck. I was moving at a fast pace and didn't react quickly enough so my left boot smashed fairly hard into the bottom of the pole. When I lifted the pole out of the ground, I noticed it was obviously bent at an awkward angle and the point of the pole would not make direct contact with the ground

Does this kind of thing "just happen" to trekking poles if you're not careful or do you think this is a defect in the pole? I don't think they're still under warranty but it would be nice to get a replacement.

I would think how hard you grip the pole would have no correlation to them getting stuck in the ground. If you're using them to take weight off your knees and you're traveing on moss, they will get stuck. I just can't believe that something that costs over $100 would warp so easily. At least I got these things for over 50% off. Next time I'm getting the cheapest Swiss Gear ones from Target.

Depends where you bought them. REI would refund or replace, for instance. I would think they'd still be under warranty after just a few months.

Phreak
08-21-2007, 21:31
Buy Leki - lifetime guarantee

weary
08-21-2007, 21:43
As near as I can tell from observations, personal experience, and messages on this and other forums, manufactured poles are prone to breakage. From all the comments, I'm convinced that Leki is the wisest choice if one wants to go in that direction. Leki, like other manufacturers, sell things that cost them 50 cents or so, per pair, and sells them for $50 or $100 or so.

But unlike others who have been less wise, they show up periodically at trail functions and offer to fix their expensive 50 cent devices for free.

I just use one or two wooden sticks, mostly alder saplings, that I cut for free in the woods or from the trash left by trail maintainers. They weigh an ounce or so more. But are infinitely stronger than most of the manufactured varieties. None that I've made have ever bent or broken.

To improve their traction and to lessen their damage to trails, I attach 70 cent crutch tips to the bottoms. A drilled hole through the top will attach a strap, but occasionally I use a commerical top. The top I like best come from Komperdell, though it adds an ounce or two of weight. However it has the marginal advantage of a built in compass.

Weary

Two Speed
08-21-2007, 21:46
Buy Leki - lifetime guaranteeOr just cut a walking stick. No guarantee, but no cost to replace either.

Sorry, couldn't resist. If you like your stinkin' Leki's, well, each to their own. Not that I have an opinion on the subject or anything. :p

wrongway_08
08-21-2007, 21:55
I have had the same set of Lekis since I was around 17, I'm 31 now. They have the anti-shock spring and those things take some abuse. I do hold them loose so that when they get cought inbetween rocks they can slip from my hands and not break.
They are also good for cutting off over growth from trails, swing them hard forward from the wrist and they will cut through small twigs without a problem.

Actuary
08-21-2007, 22:04
Depends where you bought them. REI would refund or replace, for instance. I would think they'd still be under warranty after just a few months.

Thanks. I did buy them from REI, but it was REI Outlet and they may have a different return policy. I'll look into it I guess. I'm sure the poles can still function - believe it or not this happened only about 1 hour into my hike and I ended up using them for the remaining 4 hours without noticing too much of a change.

Lone Wolf
08-21-2007, 22:05
Most importanly, they reduce the strain/stress on your joints. They also increase endurance, speed, balance.

maybe for you. surely not for me

Toolshed
08-21-2007, 22:17

It's not the getting stuck in the ground bit, it is the pulling on them when you move forward. If you are gripping them extremely tight, you could bend them as they get stuck - Usually if there is a rock just in front of where you placed your pole, or if you are walking across a bridge with slats in the center (like the one by the main campground at Baxter, as you head toward Chimney Ponds, from the parking lot).
What I am talking about is that by pushing hands up through the straps and then down onto the pole grips, you can then grip the pole for pole placement, but then let your grip loosen up almost completely when stepping forward and bringing the pole forward, and then tighten your grip again.
this helps in that (And I have gone through probably 5-6 sets in 2 decades of hiking and backpacking) if the pole does get stuck, your arm offers some shock absorption, but also the grip falls away from your hand and the the play in the strap on your wrist gives more shock absorption, so that your pole doesn't get bent and you don't pull an arm or shoulder out of joint or twist a wrist.
Try it please. Grip to plant and release slightly as you move forward.

FanaticFringer
08-21-2007, 22:40
maybe for you. surely not for me

Come on we all know you really use poles and sleep in a hammock. Just kiddin...that would make too much sense.:D

greentick
08-22-2007, 00:55
Thanks. I did buy them from REI, but it was REI Outlet and they may have a different return policy. I'll look into it I guess. I'm sure the poles can still function - believe it or not this happened only about 1 hour into my hike and I ended up using them for the remaining 4 hours without noticing too much of a change.

Same return policy for the outlet site. You just get a refund instead of an exchange. If you like the poles, order another set and when you pick them up return the broke ones.

JAK
08-22-2007, 07:47
I would use cross country ski poles, usually with the skis also. Seriously though, sometimes I worry about my cross country ski poles snapping, and sometimes they have, thought it is rare, and I haven't impalled myself yet. I see poles while hiking as being a good way to get in shape for ski season, and also very handy in some terrain when there are no trees around, but they would spend most time on my pack I think. I've heard they are handy when hiking by moonlight also. I can see that. I do grab a stick sometimes. Anyhow, people using them when I wouldn't and buying stuff that I wouldn't and dressing so inappropriately for the woods use to bug the crap out of me, but after several months of therapy I've finally got it under control. Though there is never a cure for that sort of thing. It's a life long struggle. ;)

Toolshed
08-22-2007, 07:59
.....Anyhow, people using them when I wouldn't and buying stuff that I wouldn't and dressing so inappropriately for the woods use to bug the crap out of me, but after several months of therapy I've finally got it under control. Though there is never a cure for that sort of thing. It's a life long struggle. ;) C'mon, Canucks are s'posed to be more forgiving than that - (Note Canuck is an affectionate term, eh) , My dad lived in Canada for a few years after coming over from the UK, before he ventured into the States. We ended up settling and growing up on the Canadian Border, too eh.;)

JAK
08-22-2007, 08:17
C'mon, Canucks are s'posed to be more forgiving than that - (Note Canuck is an affectionate term, eh) , My dad lived in Canada for a few years after coming over from the UK, before he ventured into the States. We ended up settling and growing up on the Canadian Border, too eh.;)We all have our crosses to bear. ;)

Time To Fly 97
08-22-2007, 08:47
I think your hiking poles should be strong enough to bear your weight if you trip on something. The last thing you want to happen hiking is for one of your poles to malfunction (which it sounds like yours did). I think Lekis especially are designed for hiking. They are MUCH stronger than ski poles which are designed for skiing, which is way different). My Lekis have taken some serious jams and held up fine. They are guaranteed for life. I think you may benefit from getting some Lekis and leaving the ski poles for skiing.

Happy hiking!

TTF

JAK
08-22-2007, 08:52
When I here trade names I just phase out. It wouldn't be the end of the world if a pole snaps. It is worse if it happens while skiing, but it's still not the end of the world. Sure you might fall, and that might be bad depending on where you fall, but that gets into a different ball game. If you are doing something where your life depends on Leki pole, that's your choice I guess.

DavidNH
08-22-2007, 09:17
I would still hike with trekking poles. Suggestion: buy them from a place like Eastern Mountain Sports. If your poles bend or break..bring them in and they will give you a new replacement pair no questions asked!

David

Actuary
08-23-2007, 09:11

FYI, I returned them last night at an REI location for a full refund. No questions even asked. I must say REI has great customer service. I certainly learned my lesson and plan to head to Walmart/Target before my next long hike.

ASUGrad
08-23-2007, 13:10
I use ski poles myself. I use a pair I found at the Y thrift store in Blacksburg

Outlaw
08-23-2007, 14:58
FYI, I returned them last night at an REI location for a full refund. No questions even asked. I must say REI has great customer service. I certainly learned my lesson and plan to head to Walmart/Target before my next long hike.

Actuary, I'm a little baffled as to what lesson you learned. If you had such a great experience at REI, why are you now planning to head to Walmart &/or Target? :confused:

Actuary
08-23-2007, 16:43
Actuary, I'm a little baffled as to what lesson you learned. If you had such a great experience at REI, why are you now planning to head to Walmart &/or Target? :confused:

Well, AFAIK REI doesn't sell really cheap poles. My lesson was that expensive poles don't seem to be constructed much better than the cheap ones. I had previously bought a pair of really cheap Swiss Gear poles that got beaten up pretty badly, although I did put several 100 miles on them. When I upgraded to the Komperdell's I was expecting them to be near indestructable, not bend within a couple hours of use.

I guess I could keep going to REI, buying the nice ones, and then bringing them back if they break, but that would be taking advantage of a really great service.

JAK
08-23-2007, 17:25
I'm not sure if you would be taking advantage.
The manufacturer might be extending the same service to REI.
You could ask them first I guess how many times you can keep coming back.

Toolshed
08-23-2007, 19:26

Right on Outlaw!!!

wrongway_08
08-23-2007, 19:57
My Lekis, 14 plus years, no breaks or problems. Think I spent around $140.00 back then - spent the extra for that 1/2" of suspension :) . Really happy with them, thinking of buying a new set for the thru-hike.

Just looked at the new Lekis, carbon fiber, suspensioned. They are really light, cost about the same as they did back in the day ($150.00 at REI). I worry about them snapping when they get cought up, due to the carbon fiber. What do you all think? Anyone use the carbon fiber? They dont seem to have that little bit of "flex" that my old set does. The handle material on the new style feel better then my old ones.

doodah man
08-28-2007, 16:15
snip...Just looked at the new Lekis, carbon fiber, suspensioned. They are really light, cost about the same as they did back in the day ($150.00 at REI). I worry about them snapping when they get cought up, due to the carbon fiber. What do you all think? Anyone use the carbon fiber? They dont seem to have that little bit of "flex" that my old set does. The handle material on the new style feel better then my old ones.

wrongway, I have been using the REI peak ultralight carbon fiber poles for a year now... Used them for a month on the AT this spring plus a lot of day hikes around home. A total of around 500 miles and no breakage issues so far. But... have had a slight problem that dust gets inside and makes the locking mechanism slip so they have to be cleaned out once and a while. Takes only a few minutes to separate the sections and flush a bit of water thru to remove most of the dust. (for 35+ years prior to these, have always used one-piece ski poles so I don't know if this is common for all adjustable trekking poles to slip some after use or just the carbon fiber ones.) My next adjustable poles will likely not use the twist-lock mechanism but the flick-lock style that Black Diamond uses which should not slip.

Also, for those who insist that trekking poles are not necessary, years ago I met a guy backpacking in the Rockies barefoot. He claimed that boots and/or shoes were unnecessary.... I know as a kid, I rarely wore any footwear in the summers and my feet toughened up fast, but hitting the trail without boots would never work for me. To each their own....

Lastly, for those inclined, I found the following page to be informative.

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm

doodah-man

Shutterbug
08-28-2007, 16:33

When a similar thing happened to me, I considered it "normal wear and tear." I bent it back as much as I could. I used it for the rest of that trip, then replaced it.