PDA

View Full Version : I am so proud of myself

Kirby
08-22-2007, 11:17
My pack weight, including 12 days worth of food and 3 liters of water and all of my gear weights 33 pounds. Just thought I would let everyone know,

Kirby

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-22-2007, 11:18
Impressive - List please

Kirby
08-22-2007, 11:25
Impressive - List please

I am not sure what you mean by "list please", if it is not to much of a inconvienence, could you please elaborate.

Thanks,
Kirby

Lone Wolf
08-22-2007, 11:26
a list of all your stuff

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-22-2007, 11:27
I am not sure what you mean by "list please", if it is not to much of a inconvienence, could you please elaborate.

Thanks,
KirbySorry Kirby. I would like to see a list of what you carried in the 33 lb pack. As I said, this is impressive and a list would be helpful for others who want to lighten-up.

white rabbit
08-22-2007, 11:34
:-?
12 days of food at approx 2 lbs per day = 24 Lbs
3 Liters of Water = 6 Lbs

Monkeyboy
08-22-2007, 11:34
My pack weight, including 12 days worth of food and 3 liters of water and all of my gear weights 33 pounds. Just thought I would let everyone know,

Kirby

Wow....definately, list please....

And hopefully that doesn't mean that you carried 12 granola bars for food.... :)

Monkeyboy
08-22-2007, 11:36
:-?
12 days of food at approx 2 lbs per day = 24 Lbs
3 Liters of Water = 6 Lbs

With today's dehydrated foods.....ramen.....oatmeal...instant grits....mac and cheese....You could definately get less than 2 lbs per day.

Monkeyboy
08-22-2007, 11:36
Now if he could just dehydrate the water......

zelph
08-22-2007, 11:50
Now if he could just dehydrate the water......

Buy it here (http://buydehydratedwater.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4&zenid=a665ffb4b0516bd3c795791f6331df18)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-22-2007, 11:56
The dinos eat very well (three hearty meals and two snacks) and our foods are more like 1.7 lbs per person per day so 12 * 1.7 = 20.4 oz. Depending on where he is hiking, he could get by with less than 3L of water.

Kirby
08-22-2007, 12:07
My gear:
go lite quest pack
therma rest riderest sleeping pad
nalgene 3 liter water bladder
all terrain hand sanitizer
aqua mira water treatmeant
sn240 pack cover- medium size
misc. batteries
3 sea to summit stuff sacks(all filled with food)
12 days worth of food (granola with powedered milk and otmeal with powdered milk for breakfast, misc. energy bars for snacks, PB&J sandwiches for lunch. For diner I have 4 different de-hydrated meals for four different nights to see how I like them, plus I have whole weat egg noodles and different sauces for dinner)
petzl tikka plus head lamp
MSR pack towel
a spoon
swiss army knife
crocs for camp shoes
snow peak titanium pot
"thru hiker stove", courtesy of Bullseye(small homemade soda can stove)
windscreen for stove(courtesy of Bullseye)
Adventure Medical Kits-Trail
"Gear Aid" ultra light gear kit
50 feet of nylon rope
1 Eastern Mountain Sports(EMS) fleece sweatshirt
1 EMS rain jacket
2 pairs of EMS pants that turn into shorts
1 EMS Techwick longbottoms top
1 EMS 88% polyester, 12% cotton T-shirt
1 EMS 100% polyester T-Shirt
2 pairs of Smartwool medium thickness socks
2 pairs of EMS sock liners
EMS mountain light 20 degree sleeping bag
1 Hot Chillys fleece pants (longbottoms)
1 EYA winter weight long bottoms(extra layer for colder months in the south)

Let me know if you need anymore information.
Kirby

Kirby
08-22-2007, 12:08
The dinos eat very well (three hearty meals and two snacks) and our foods are more like 1.7 lbs per person per day so 12 * 1.7 = 20.4 oz. Depending on where he is hiking, he could get by with less than 3L of water.

I am heading into the 100 mile wilderness starting sunday morning staying over night in Monson at Shaw's.

Kirby

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-22-2007, 12:12
Thank you for the effort you made in posting this complete list. This is impressive and my hat is off to you. Hope you have a wonderful hike.

hopefulhiker
08-22-2007, 17:51
It sounds like a great list.. The 100 mile wilderness is wonderful.. BTW are you taking an extra backup water bottle?

Kirby
08-22-2007, 18:09
It sounds like a great list.. The 100 mile wilderness is wonderful.. BTW are you taking an extra backup water bottle?

Yes, all the gear I listed above is 30 pounds, I added three pounds for some small things I forgot like my gators, fuel, and a spare water bottle. I am going to have either a plastiic bottle or a nalgene bottle, I am leaning towards a 32 ounces empty gatorade bottle I am looking at right now, it is light andd can hold as much water as a nalgene.

In the end, I am thinking my pack weight will be somewhere between 32 and 36 pounds, not bad considering this is my first time packing yet and I am yet to start finding ways to lighten the pack.

Kirby

Appalachian Tater
08-22-2007, 18:53
What are the batteries for? You won't need them for the headlamp.

Take some earplugs, especially if you will ever be staying in or near shelters . Toilet paper. Lighter. Duct tape. Ibuprophen. Toothbrush. Needle and thread.

Some kind of tarp or tent or hammock or other shelter?

You could get some 99 cent beach flip flops to wear around camp, they're lighter and less bulky than the crocs. Or Payless has imitation crocs that are much lighter.

Might not need everything in the emergency kit, might want more of some things.

Think about using a heavy-duty garbage bag as a waterproof liner, even with the pack cover, unless you have used the cover before and know that it will keep your stuff dry. Wet clothes, food, and bag are miserable.

Gloves come in handy on Katahdin if you tend to wear gloves while working.

You only need two changes of clothes plus an underlayer and outer layers. If you're carrying two sets of pants and two sets of long underpants, that's too much. If you think you might need heavier clothes later, get them sent later. But three pair of socks might be nice.

Lion King
08-22-2007, 19:12
Im using a Golite pack and Golite shoes and sleeping bag and a Hubba and everything light this round and I still cant get under 50 pounds.

Guess I could stop filming and not carry that camera or recharger or batteries and tapes, or stop reading books, or keeping journals, or carrying extra batteries, or full jars of Grape Jelly in the Giant plastic bottle, or not carry family size Colgate toothpaste, or not keep three pens...you would figure I would know by now.:D

Kirby
08-22-2007, 19:37
To answer al questions:
I have a tent, it is included in the weight of my pack listed above, but not actually listed, it is a one man, one sided tent.

The extra batteries are for a digital camera I will be carrying, also included in the weight of the pack but not listed.

My pack cover works well, but thanks for the advice.

I will ditch one of the long underwear bottom layers for this trip, I have two pairs of pants that become shorts to be comfortable.

I am very happy with my crocs and believe they are worth the extra weight, my feet will thank me at the end of the night.

I will carry a small tube of toothpaste and a toothbrush, duct tape is included in my gear kit. There are different pills in my first aid kit, among them is Ibuprophen.

I do not want to pay for mail drops in the wilderness, so I will carry what I think I need for this trip when I start. On my actual thru hike, I will ditch clothes and have them sent to me as I feel I need them.

I think I covered everything, thanks for the feedback,
Kirby

Monkeyboy
08-22-2007, 22:55
Cool....printing the list to go over it later.....

Sharkey
08-22-2007, 23:26
Good work Kirby. I know you have been doing a lot of research and work. I have a Go-Lite Quest pack also. How do you like yours?

7Sisters
08-23-2007, 01:19
Have a great time. I'll be interested to hear how it goes as well as understanding what gear you brought which you realize you either don't need or stuff you needed that you didn't have.

Either way, enjoy your the experience of being in the woods - that's what counts!

TOW
08-23-2007, 08:11

Kirby
I think if you were to hike with nothing it would be a lot liter.........

Kirby
08-23-2007, 09:09
Good work Kirby. I know you have been doing a lot of research and work. I have a Go-Lite Quest pack also. How do you like yours?

My quest pack works well, although I am going to tell the company to design their packs so that the water bladder fits in a pocket on the outside, as it is designed right now, I have to take everything out to put it in the pouch. I will most oikely just pay the bladder on the top of my bag.

I will be sure to post a trip report when I return from the Wilderness.

Kirby

Kirby
08-23-2007, 09:11
I think if you were to hike with nothing it would be a lot liter.........

I would if I could, but I can't, so I won't.:rolleyes:

:bananaKirby:banana

Actuary
08-23-2007, 13:27
I also think you have too many articles of clothing. In August, you could probably get away without even bringing 1 pair of long pants. I brought a pair that stayed in my <wet> pack the entire time last year. I think 2 t-shirts, 1 long sleeve, 1 pair of nylon shorts, a couple pairs of socks and a winter hat is all you need.

TOW
08-23-2007, 13:46
I would if I could, but I can't, so I won't.:rolleyes:

:bananaKirby:banana

okay................................:D