PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Vt or NH hike this fall?

kgilby
08-22-2007, 11:44
We're thinking of doing a 3 day hike this fall in Vermont somewhere, or maybe New Hampshire. We drove through the area a few years ago on our way up to Quebec and it looked like it would be great to hike. I haven't found any posts here for a similar hike and hoped somebody might help with some suggested hikes in that area. Also, what would be a good time for hitting the colors about right?

Rambler
08-22-2007, 12:33
For Vermont find guide books at the Green Mountain Club website. The Long Trail goes the entire length of VT, north to South. (The first 100 miles in southern VT is also the AT). The trail crosses many roads and passes near towns. There are many 3 day options. Several of the shelters are enclosed cabins. Off Interstate 89, maybe 10 miles south of Burlington sits the Camel's Hump. About 4 miles of trail, even 3, will get you to the summit with 360 degree views. Nearby Mt. Mansfield offers the same. It is the tallest Mountain at the Stow Ski area. For NH, a good resource is a book called Loop Hikes in NH along with other guides to the White Mountains. Here is a specific three day hike in NH covering a variety of terrain including a 4000 footer and making a loop back to or very near your starting point. Mt. Hight and the Carter Dome from Evans Notch. Evans Notch is the next notch east of the popular Pinkham Notch and Mt. Washington. Much of the notch road is in Maine starting at Freyburg just east of No. Conway NH. Get the White Mountain Guide book and maps for descriptions of the trails. No. and So Baldface Mts. are smaller, but challenging hikes with great views and by-pass trails. Check the maps. This hike is off the "beaten path", but rewarding. Another choice would be the Mahoosucs, along the AT north of Gorham NH. (Stay south of Mahoosuc Notch) Of course, you only have about 1000 other options for hiking in those two states. Two more day hikes in NH that will get you to some wonderful views without too much effort. Mt. Jefferson via Ridge of the Caps, and Mt. Eisenhower via the Edmunds Path. I assume you are experienced hikers and will be prepared for the elements. (A popular August road race to the summit of Mt. Washington was cancelled due to freezing temperatures!)
For foliage there are websites that give daily summaries and weather reports. In general, peak in NH mountains would be early October, before or around Columbus Day, Oct. 11th.
PS Not knowing your hiking backgrounds, nor do you know mine,, it is really not advisable for me to be suggesting trails, but I can't help it.

The Solemates
08-22-2007, 12:43
would highly recommend the whites if you have never hiked there. most hike for your time. do the AT up lafayette or from pinkham up to washington via the AT and catch a ride back down.

kgilby
08-22-2007, 21:11
Rambler, thanks for the detailed list of suggestions, and thanks also to Solemates. I will get started on my investigating. It's shaping up that we'll probably be out there for the Columbus Day weekend, so I hope colors will still be OK at that time.

Rambler
08-22-2007, 21:56
Here is another not-to-miss NH hike. Starting in the Lafayette Campground in Franconia Notch (Interstate 93) Hike up the Falling Waters trail to Franconia ridge. The trail comes out of the woods just below the summit of Little Haystack. If the weather is bad on the ridge, just turn around. In good weather hike over the ridge to Mt. Lincoln, in clear view ahead and then over the rocky summit of Lafayette. The ridge is entirely exposed, a wide hiker friendly trail on a clear day, moutain views all around. One of the most senic sections of the entire AT. From Lafayette, drop down to the Greenlief hut, then down the Old Bridle Path back to the campground and trailhead. ( 8 mile loop) Many hike it the other direction, too. You can also make Franconia Ridge part of a three day hike Starting at Lincoln Woods off the Kancamagus Highway (Rte.112) just beyond Hancock Campground and Lincoln NH. The full looop goes over the Bonds, lots of open trail over ridge lines, or take the easier way down into the valley via teh Franconia Brook Trail. Guyot Campsite and shelter will be fill up over that week-end so plan to arrive there early. First come first serve. These are among NH most popular hikes.

7Sisters
08-23-2007, 01:47
For Fall beauty, I would choose the above tree line experience of NH over Vermont, however Vermont is great as well - especially this time of the year.

For actual trips, I would choose from one of the following:

1 - NH 25 North to Franconio Notch. Total Miles 26. Highlights (Moosliauke, Kinsmans north and south, great views and some challenging climbs)
2 - Franconia Notch to US 302 (Crawford Notch). Total Miles 28. Highlights (Little Haystack - Mt Lincoln - Mt Lafayette range wich is just incredibly beautiful, Mt Garfield, Several AMC huts, South Twin Mtn, Zealand Mountain, Ethan Pond - a real cool pond with tons of frogs and big lily pads)
3 - Crawford Notch to Pinkham Notch. Total Miles 35. Highlights include some great climbs, 12.5 miles of above tree line hiking, Mt Webster, Jackson, Clinton, Franklin, Washington, Madison - there are several other loops to hit the summits of more mtns as well. The initital ascent and the final descent are pretty steep, but worth it.

Enjoy any one of these great three hikes. They are all great. A fourth option is Pinkham to Gorham, but I would put that as a definite fourth option.

Peaks
08-23-2007, 06:17
Park at Lincoln Woods along the Kanc and do a 3 day loop in the Pemi. Many possibilites, depending on how much you want to hike

kgilby
08-23-2007, 18:05
Thanks again Rambler, 7Sisters, and Peaks. All sound like great hikes. Peaks, can you give me more detail on your suggested hike - where/what is the Pemi?
I talked with someone at the AMC today, and am getting a few things mailed to assist with planning. He was very helpful.

7Sisters
08-23-2007, 21:02
The Pemi is a wilderness region in NH. The proper name is the Pemigewasset Wilderness. It's located just east of Franconia Notch.

One of the maine trails that goes through it is called the Wilderness Trail

It's also located North of the Kancamangus Highway.

rickb
08-23-2007, 21:19
What kind of hike are you looking for? How many miles per day, etc? Are you comfortable simply walking off trail 100 yards and pitching a tent? The Whites offer many different kids of loops. The trick isn't finding the best hike, but rather the one that is best for you.

rickb
08-23-2007, 21:20
"One of the maine trails" ............... Actually those trails are farther north.

Grimace
08-24-2007, 12:49
Hi there,

Columbus Day weekend in the Whites is ne of the busiest weekends of the year. Definitely beautiful with fall foliage, but jam packed with people. The trails around popular areas like Franconia Ridge and the Presidentials will be chock full of people. You might want to consider more of the off beaten paths if you'd like a more solitary experience. The Sandwich range around Waterville Valley and the Mahoosuc range offer great multi day trips and will be less populated.

kgilby
08-24-2007, 20:42
The Pemi is a wilderness region in NH. The proper name is the Pemigewasset Wilderness. It's located just east of Franconia Notch.

Thanks for clarifying.

kgilby
08-24-2007, 20:49
What kind of hike are you looking for? How many miles per day, etc? Are you comfortable simply walking off trail 100 yards and pitching a tent? The Whites offer many different kids of loops. The trick isn't finding the best hike, but rather the one that is best for you.

We are a couple of novice backpackers; we've only done 1 other hike, last fall in the Smokies. We kept it short each day, as we had no idea how we'd hold up... My guess is that we could handle 10 mile days, less if more up and down than usual. We stayed in designated tent sites and shelters on that trip, but I don't think stopping somewhere on our own would be a problem for us. I ordered the AMC White Mtn. Guide, so when that gets here I will have a much better idea on start/stop points, distances, difficulty, etc. I'd certainly welcome any of your suggestions for trips.

kgilby
08-24-2007, 20:53
Hi there,

Columbus Day weekend in the Whites is ne of the busiest weekends of the year. Definitely beautiful with fall foliage, but jam packed with people. The trails around popular areas like Franconia Ridge and the Presidentials will be chock full of people. You might want to consider more of the off beaten paths if you'd like a more solitary experience. The Sandwich range around Waterville Valley and the Mahoosuc range offer great multi day trips and will be less populated.

Thanks for the heads up. I will look at those areas in particular, as we don't want to head into any huge crowds if we can manage not to. We'll probably be hiking Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, so part of the hike should be a little less crowded.