PDA

View Full Version : Hike Naked on the AT?

highway
09-28-2002, 11:09
There are other more frivolous polls posted but at least this one has some historical precedent. I recall reading somewhere that on (Earth?) day, tradition required the hike to be optionally naked. Even Colin Fletcher, the hiking guru, has admitted to have done it. Heck, even I might try it sometime, but if I do, I can assure you it want be a pretty sight!:p

Hammock Hanger
09-28-2002, 16:25
I saw a few very handsome young men out there on 6/21/01. I have no guts. HH

EarlyRiser
09-28-2002, 17:54
yes i believe its summer solstice correct? or is it somthing else? i remember hearing about it on the trail while i was hiking in late july this year. a few of my friends and i have decided that we should do that one year. and most certainly when we thruhike, ofcourse as long as were not in town or around anyone cause i dont feel like being taken in for public exposure while on my thru hike.

SGT Rock
09-28-2002, 19:17
It's supposed to be around the 20th of June, based on the Summer solstace, but it isn't official.

I haven't hiked naked, but I have stripped naked to cool off on a break. My most memorable one was sitting beside the Pinhoti in Alabama in February. I had got pretty acclimated to the cold weather during an ice storm and nights in the single digits. One day it made it to 70 and I felt like I was dying, so I stripped naked and sat on a rock bluff enjoying the breeze and the cool rocks under my butt. The simple pleasures of life.

Former Admin
09-28-2002, 20:15
Well, has anyone got any good pictures of this practice, if you do, you know we have the photo gallery, where we share AT Photos so if you'd like to upload these photos Please Do Not! :D LOL

SGT Rock
09-28-2002, 20:20
Maybe a private photo section so only "Adults" get to see it LOL

EarlyRiser
09-28-2002, 21:15
Its purely educational i swear!

highway
09-29-2002, 06:50
HMMMmmmmmmmm.....Now thats an idea!
An "adult" backpacking forum...
Do you suppose Admin is coaxing us towards one?????
Then he could begin charging an admission price for access to the "adult" version and, assured of an income, dedicate more time to hiking... You don't suppose this has been his long-range plan all along, do you? And perhaps he just enlisted Rock to first broach the subject and become his partner in crime!

Now lets just see where this takes us........

SGT Rock
09-29-2002, 08:57
I'm a dupe!:eek:

Remember the thread with personal ads for single hikers?:confused:

The site is really supposed to turn into a forum for swinging hikers?:eek:

Peaks
10-02-2002, 08:00
The last two years I was on the trail for the summer solstace. While there was lots of comments in the shelter registers about nude hiking day, I didn't see a single person hiking in the buff both times. But, everyone seemed to have an excuse for not hiking nude when the actual day came.

Myself, I was crossing the extremely buggy section in southern Massachusetts one year. The next year I was in the very public Shenandoah National Park.

Trail Yeti
10-03-2002, 12:20
Ok, I'll admit it, I hiked naked. Did it twice, the first time was in Tennessee...at night and there were 4 of us...it was a naked night hiking thruhiker train!!!:D
The 2nd time was on "national hike naked day" the solstice. I did have a bandanna handy to "cover up" in case i ran into any kids or old ladies. Funny thing, I put my clothes on and immediately ran into a kid and his dad...before that I saw nobody, not even while crossing some roads.
If you haven't done it, I highly recommend it, its even better than hiking in a kilt!
life is good, sometimes I wear nothing!
Trail Yeti
ps- I do think its a good idea to have a bandanna handy in case you run into someone. Not that I would be embarrassed, but somepeople might feel uncomfortable. With that said, I did wear a kilt when I hiked and probably "flashed my package" to 60% of the people I hiked around, unintentionally (sp?) of course, that's the price of wearing a kilt.

chief
10-09-2002, 03:05
hike naked day - june 10th.

personally, i was too chicken to do it in 2000, but i may in 2003.

btw, saw lots of bouncing boobs and butts that day.

Peaks
10-21-2002, 16:42
June 10 sounds very early for the summer solstice. It's usually around June 21. So, Chief, I guess that you have 2 chances to bare all in 2003.

chief
10-21-2002, 20:07
maybe it was the 21st. my mind and memory don't work so good these days. must be all that stuff i did in the 70's.

what was the subject?

EarlyRiser
10-25-2002, 21:39
i guess its kinda like the vernal equinox (spring) its now the twentieth instead of the twentifirst because the earth is slowly changing its allignment.im pretty sure summer is the twentifirst though.

Jaybird
11-20-2003, 12:57
i guess its kinda like the vernal equinox (spring) its now the twentieth instead of the twentifirst because the earth is slowly changing its allignment.im pretty sure summer is the twentifirst though.

For those planning to hike "NEKKED"...next year....Earth Day (also known as the Vernal or Spring Equinox) is March 20th 2004 @ 1:49 a.m. EDT

The Summer Solstice (first day of summer) is June 20th 2004 @ 8:57p.m. EDT

I've always heard the "hike nude" day was Earth Day!

jaybird
www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird

asmtroop3
11-20-2003, 13:16
I have no guts. HH

I'm all for it but that's my problem HH, too much guts.
I need to get back to loosing a few pounds before I show the world my wares. :clap :clap :bse

11-20-2003, 16:51
When we hiked in '00 in was the solstice. And several of us hike naked. My wife did chicken out. I was fine until we turned a corner and a family was walking up. Luckly, my wife walke ahead and had a warning.

Former Easy
12-25-2003, 04:02
Just a note on this, if you do get caught doing this and are charged with indecent exposure, you will be required to register as a sex offender, being a registered sex offender can have many damaging effects on your life and your family if you have one. Your neighbors will know your a sex offender, any chance of getting a job other than day labor is almost certain unless you own your own business or work for friends. You'll have a hard time finding a place to live if you rent. The list goes on and on. So think about all this before baring your ass to the wind.

Skyline
02-23-2004, 19:56
In 2003, on Nude Hiking Day, June 21, I was weekend-warrioring in nearby SNP. It was raining, in the low 40s, windy, and generally miserable. Didn't see anything nekkid all day, much less my own self. Kept thinking about George Costanza, "shrinkage," and THAT Seinfeld episode...

Jack Tarlin
02-23-2004, 20:17
I was generally around Shenandoah Park on June 20/21st. This is a lousy place to hike naked unless you're anxious to get arrested, but then, I was never into the naked hiking thing anyway. By the way, this is NOT a universally practiced or approved custom and there are lots of folks who think it's kinda stupid; in short, if you do it, be prepared for some unpleasant possible consequences. Also, be aware that you're sharing the Trail with lots of other people at that time of year, and depending where you are, there's an excellent chance you'll run into other folks who are either unaware of Naked Hiking Day, or aren't thrilled with it once they become aware of it. Old folks, people hiking with their families, church or school groups, etc.----most of these people aren't out on the Trail to see your shortcomings, nor do they wish this display to be forced on their kids, etc., so anyone who does feel compelled to hike naked, well be smart about it, and try and be considerate of others. There's plenty of places to get naked, but a very popular hiking trail, used by 3-4 million people annually, is probably not the best place for this sort of activity. Discretion is the better part of valor----if you wanna get naked and sun-worship on your trip, you're probably better off doing it OFF-Trail, and not while you're in transit.

Brushy Sage
02-23-2004, 21:48
I remember seeing a sign right on the AT coming into Hot Springs or Damascus, don't remember which, that public nudity in the town is illegal (with a list of other laws in the municipality). They must have had some experiences in the past.

A-Train
02-23-2004, 23:43
Jack mentions being around the shenendoahs as a bad place to be naked. Personally I believe any place on the Trail has the possibility to have some negative consequences. For me, the 21st was a bright sunny afternoon walking thru the lovely upscale towns of west hartford and Norwhich VT, and Hanover NH, a place Jack knows well. Luckily all the hikers in the area agreed that being naked was not a great idea, especially with all the road walking and the fact that we were relying on kindness of students to put us up in town. Needless to say I gave a couple friends a "taste" of the spirit at Thistle Hill that morning and we'll leave it at that

Motor City Rambler
02-24-2004, 22:30
Did it in 94 on out thru hike.
Had no problems.:rolleyes:

GSMNP00
02-24-2004, 22:55
If you want to get official, it's supposed to be the summer solstice, around June 21st. Be prepared to put on some "emergency clothing" at a moment's notice. PARENTS: If this think the human body is evil, skip the trail this one day a year. Again, discretion is paramount: both my "ex" and I, and at least two couples we know of, have "done it" on the trail, and had an excellent time! Come to think of it, it wasn't anywhere near the Solstice!!!!

weary
02-24-2004, 23:09
One day it made it to 70 and I felt like I was dying, so I stripped naked and sat on a rock bluff enjoying the breeze and the cool rocks under my butt. The simple pleasures of life.

Among the photos in my slide show is one with a couple of guys skinny dipping in a stream pool. As I was preparing a show for the senior citizen's club, my wife insisted, "you can't show that to those old folks."

Of course, I did. And I also told them what my wife had said.

A wavering female voice came from the back of the darkened room, "t h a t 's j u s t w h a t u s o l d p e o p l e n e e d."

Icicle
02-25-2004, 06:36
I have hiked topless in Goblin Combe in North Somerset (here in the UK) and it was very liberating. Although I wouldn't do it with loads of people around!

beckon4
03-30-2004, 17:15
It was a beautiful August day in Maine. I was enjoying the bog bridges and just a wonderful day, when I was shocked to meet an older nude hiker. I'm sorry it was not a beautiful sight and disturbed me immensely. If you want the freedom of hiking nude, please do it somewhere less populated. As for myself, I need the protection that clothes give me.

Krewzer
03-30-2004, 18:47
...the first time I heard about "naked hiking day" was in 2000. Didn't participate, but wish I had. I was pretty skeptical and didn't know it was sort of a trail tradition until that morning....at least among a lot of hikers. From what I heard later, most only hiked a little ways before slipping something on. Of course there was the legendary "mooning over the Pennsylvannia Turnpike" episode. I didn't see this personally, but was at the celebration a week or so later at Eckville Shelter, where many swore it was true.

krewzer

Bear Magnet
03-31-2004, 00:25
I passed on naked hiking day but I did take a quickie shower at a falls a bit off the trail, and took a quick skinny-dip at a dam in Pennsylvania. Cold, Cold, Cold.

I did run into a late middle aged gentleman hiking nude near Palmerton in August and another guy who was airing all out in the Whites. He was not hiking, but rather waiting for his clothes to dry after a strenuous hike. He looked at me and then asked "Why can't you be a 5-10 blond with big tits?" I responded with "Why can't you?"

Bear Magnet

Freighttrain
04-07-2004, 16:00
Happy Tails

Blue Jay
04-08-2004, 07:28
Freight, have your tried counseling. There are clear differences between harmless nudity and the things you are describing.

chris
04-08-2004, 08:39
Come on, Blue, don't fall for a troll! Much less an ignorant person!

Blue Jay
04-08-2004, 08:44
Come on, Blue, don't fall for a troll! Much less an ignorant person!

I like trolls. There's a really cool one under the bridge next to me. They usually like nudity though.

Photofanatic
05-25-2004, 15:59

Jester2000
05-25-2004, 18:52
Well, yeah, sometimes and in some places and in front of some people. But just so you don't freak as a result of Former Easy's post, indecent exposure (or it's friendlier cousin, unlawful public nudity) is not a crime for which you have to register with the sexual criminal registry in the state of Virginia, which is where I would assume most thru-hikers would be on the Solstice. There are 35 crimes that require registration, but just being nekked ain't one of them. Now, if your plan to protect unsuspecting hikers that you bump into involves covering your naughty bits with a chicken, then you might end up on the list.

By the way, a compromise I have tried ('cause I agree with Jack's comments regarding anyone being forced to see me nude) involves wearing a skirt (not one of those demmed trendy kilts), pulling it up, and tucking it in my hip belt.

If you come across a Girl Scout Troop, you just drop the skirt. You still look odd, but not as offensive.

bfitz
05-26-2004, 23:50
How about a sock? and don't forget your camera. I'm bringin' mine. (camera)

SGT Rock
05-26-2004, 23:52
You'll look like snufuluphagus

bfitz
05-26-2004, 23:54
hey dude, I never got my diet root beer out of your car. Nice to hear from you again. So thats how you spell snufuluphagus.

SGT Rock
05-26-2004, 23:55
Ohh, Bfitz is The Dude. I did not know that LOL. I gave the root beer to One Leg's kids. Sorry.

dixicritter
05-26-2004, 23:56
Actually it's spelled snuffleupagus, but ya didn't hear that from me....LOL

bfitz
05-27-2004, 00:11
As long as they went to a good cause. I thought there was something off about that spelling. See you all out there on the 21st! I was thinking of getting a cooler and a lawn chair and watching the pageant of pulchritude as it rolls by. I had to go to a wedding last year so I missed it. I must admit it sounds like a butt load of fun, I can't wait.

grrickar
05-27-2004, 00:57
; in short, if you do it, be prepared for some unpleasant possible consequences. ----most of these people aren't out on the Trail to see your shortcomings, nor do they wish this display to be forced on their kids, etc., so anyone who does feel compelled to hike naked, well be smart about it, and try and be considerate of others. ----if you wanna get naked and sun-worship on your trip, you're probably better off doing it OFF-Trail, and not while you're in transit.
I agree with Jack, I WW kayak and we have had some issues in the past with people just changing clothes on the side of the road. None of them were being actual exhibitionists, just a quick change of clothes from wet ones to dry. The local police sometimes gets involved and hassles everyone for a time, then things die down and the cycle repeats itself.

My daughter is too young to hike at this point, but if she did a section hike with me later on I wouldn't want to subject her to seeing a naked hiker. I've yet to hike an inch of the AT, but from the posts in this forum I find that not all people are well-behaved when in the woods. If I were a female hiker I would seriously think twice about flashing or hiking naked unless I was with trusted friends...

JLB
05-27-2004, 01:09
What is the etiquitte about bathing in a stream or pond? Do most people get nude, or bring some trunks with them? How do people feel about the unabashed skinny dippers?

SGT Rock
05-27-2004, 06:19
Well tou shouldn't bathe in a stream. If you are really talking about cleaning up, you should go 100' from the water and clean up, even with "biodegradable" soap.

If your just swimming or wading, there are some good spots where you can do it, but often times these spots are sort of public in nature. Use common sense on those.

eyahiker
05-27-2004, 10:44
JLB, go buy some books, watch a video or something.........
I hope you are not going out for long in less than 6 weeks on your big hike, you should do a little more research than what you'll learn here.

Sgt Rock, good suggestion about streams.

Blue Jay, I don't think our new troll is hiking naked........bummer, he was bragging about his large member too.... (want the post number anyone?);)
The one that lives near you sounds interesting though!:banana

Rain Man
05-27-2004, 19:38
How do people feel about the unabashed skinny dippers?

Mostly the same as they do about the abashed ones, I suspect!

:D

smokymtnsteve
05-27-2004, 19:57
I got "caught" skinny dipping at the chimney tops inthe smokies back in 1999

It was late in the evening and I had walked down from the top of the chimneys..It was very hot and I only had a daypack and no change of clothes. I knew that noone else was coming from the top as I was the last one down and being that it was close to dark I didn't think that anyone else would start up at that late hour.

so I got behind a big rock and and stripped down and got into the VERY COLD water.

after a couple of minutes 3 mature females came down the trail and stopped on the bridge overlooking the swimming hole. (and me)

well while I was in the water there was nothing for them to see...and I stayed inthe water and they stayed on the bridge looking and pointing and giggleing. well like I said that water there is VERY COLD so I soon had to get out it was so cold, so I jumped out of the water and hide behind a rock and got dressed.

and the three women continued to stand on the bridge looking and laughing,
so after getting dressed the only way out is across the bridge and it didn't look like these ole girls were going to move, so I came out from behind the rock and crossed the bridge smiled and said hello.

one of the women told me "you shoudn't be doing that"

I replied to her " four of us here need to grow up...me for doing it and you for looking at me and worrying about it"

JLB
05-27-2004, 21:04
JLB, go buy some books, watch a video or something.........
I hope you are not going out for long in less than 6 weeks on your big hike, you should do a little more research than what you'll learn here.

:banana

No thanks. I prefer getting my information here.

Dances with Mice
05-27-2004, 21:32
No thanks. I prefer getting my information here.

Very bad idea.

Here you only get answers to the questions you ask.

Judging by your previous queries, there are many questions you haven't asked but need to.

Pencil Pusher
06-02-2004, 03:38
sounds fun

Pencil Pusher
06-02-2004, 15:35
Just a note on this, if you do get caught doing this and are charged with indecent exposure, you will be required to register as a sex offender, being a registered sex offender can have many damaging effects on your life and your family if you have one. Your neighbors will know your a sex offender, any chance of getting a job other than day labor is almost certain unless you own your own business or work for friends. You'll have a hard time finding a place to live if you rent. The list goes on and on. So think about all this before baring your ass to the wind.
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/LXII/645/645-1.htm (http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/LXII/645/645-1.htm)

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/LXII/651-B/651-B-1.htm (http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/LXII/651-B/651-B-1.htm)

http://www.ncleg.net/Statutes/GeneralStatutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-190.9.html (http://www.ncleg.net/Statutes/GeneralStatutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-190.9.html)

http://www.ncleg.net/Statutes/GeneralStatutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-208.6.html (http://www.ncleg.net/Statutes/GeneralStatutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-208.6.html)

Here are some factual links to counter Former Easy’s post. These are just two versions from two different states, I’m sure the other states on the AT will have their own definitions and sentencing guidelines. As it is, public indecency in its basic form is not a ‘sexual offender’ crime in these two states, so this scare-tactic post of Former Easy’s is without basis.

SGT Rock
06-02-2004, 15:42
Former Easy was just trying to push buttons which was not uncommon for him at all. No one should take anything he said seriously.

bfitz
06-03-2004, 16:53
girickar people are much more well behaved on the trail than in the local grocery store (by my reckoning) I'd much rather see a weener than be subjected to typical rudeness of many daily off trail situations. I womder if a young lady is more at risk flashing on the at than she is wearing booty shorts to the local dance club hmmmm....? :banana

Crash! Bang!
10-11-2004, 21:06
i have to see lots of things i dont want to see every day. people should really loosen up.

hustler
10-12-2004, 23:42
I had a blast hiking naked on the trail this year. It was the summer solstice and I was hiking through the whites. It was fun freeking out all the squares from Mass. Many of the thru hikers I talked to this year, hiked naked on hike naked day.

Tha Wookie
10-13-2004, 00:33
hiked naked on the American West Coast Trail!

Plenty of nude beaches, sometimes we waited for 'em, sometimes we waited for nothing.

Crash! Bang!
10-13-2004, 08:44
thru the whites? thats awesome!

hauptman
04-13-2005, 03:33
I am 19 and this will be my first attempt to thru hike the trail and who knows when I might get another chance. I say if I make it to summer solstice then live free and bare all.
p.s., by then I should have lost the my freshman 15images/smilies/sun.gif

Mags
04-13-2005, 11:59
Ohh, Bfitz is The Dude. .

I hear The Dude abides...

Miss Daisy
07-01-2005, 22:08
The funniest story I heard about "being naked" on trail was from a friend hiking in GA....was cooling off in a spring with some "earth women" and a boy scout troop hikedby....he said the scoutmaster's admonition was priceless...."gentlemen, it is not polite to stare." He said he'd like to be a fly on the wall when those scouts described their trip to their parents!

atbeatle
10-07-2005, 02:30
:p had to do it- got prickly butt and groin