PDA

View Full Version : Smokies 27-29th

SGT Rock
08-22-2007, 19:18
I plan to go from Clingman's Dome to Icewater Springs on the 27th, then Icewater Springs to Tricorner on the 28th, and then Tricorner out of the park to Davenport Gap on the 29th. Anyone else in the area interested?

smokymtnsteve
08-22-2007, 19:48
think about Clingman's to peek's then mt cammerer tower then out .

and yea I'd be interested but I'm gotta finsih this cabin before it gets cold.:D

SGT Rock
08-22-2007, 19:54
Don't forget to stock up on fire wood. I hear it can get cold up there.

You ain't supposed to stay at Mt Crammer tower are you ;)

WILLIAM HAYES
08-22-2007, 21:31
Rock good luck on your retirment My dad was a 30 year army man who retired as a SGT MAJOR I know what the rank means. Quite an honor to be on the list.I will be retiring for the second time in Jan 2008 and will start where I finished my last section hike north of atkins and finish the rest of the way. Been at it since 2001 and am really looking forward to starting in March 2008 Might not see you out there since I will be ahead but if we don't meet best of luck on your thru hike maybe I will see you down the trail at some point. just look or the old guy from south carolina.Thank for serving this great country of ours.

Hillbilly

greentick
08-22-2007, 21:59
I plan to go from Clingman's Dome to Icewater Springs on the 27th, then Icewater Springs to Tricorner on the 28th, and then Tricorner out of the park to Davenport Gap on the 29th. Anyone else in the area interested?

I'll be on the trail south of you. Dicks Creek Gap to Mooney Gap. Same days.

Cuffs
08-23-2007, 12:29
Is that this month?

Gray Blazer
08-23-2007, 14:30
See you at Ryan's in Newport on the 29th. ;) Bob , the ridge runner told me that the Mt. Cammerrer tower would be a nice place to stay. He didn't say he would pay the fine if they caught me.

SGT Rock
08-23-2007, 15:11
Is that this month?
Yes

See you at Ryan's in Newport on the 29th. ;) Bob , the ridge runner told me that the Mt. Cammerrer tower would be a nice place to stay. He didn't say he would pay the fine if they caught me.
Ohhhhh...

I was thinking of stealthing.

smokymtnsteve
08-24-2007, 18:35
Don't forget to stock up on fire wood. I hear it can get cold up there.

You ain't supposed to stay at Mt Crammer tower are you ;)

I get most of my firewood fom the waste transfer station, a girl came up to me just the other day as I was cutting wood outside the dumpster ...and told me .." only in FBKS,AK would U see somebody witha chainsaw gathering firewood at the dump...cool recycle"

and U ain't supposed to do a lot of things that I do. (or have done)

SGT Rock
08-26-2007, 08:15
Heading out today to station my car at Davenport Gap for the return. Last call for anyone interested to sign up.

springerfever
08-26-2007, 08:48
Would love to go with you, but I'm recovering from ACL knee surgery from a month ago.

The Smokies are just so awesome, any time of year, any weather. Are you testing out some new gear for you upcoming thru-hike or just going 'cause you need to ?

I know you have pretty much planned your itinerary, but I could not possibly take this route without stopping by Mt. Cammerer. Also, I'm sure you have done the Boulevard trail out to Le Conte, but if not, that too is a spectacular ridgewalk.

Good luck on your hike and I hope the mountains are a lot cooler than the rest of the southeast !!

BTW. what boots/shoes are you leaning towards for your thru ? I've got a pair of the new Inov8 boots headed my way via REI. About 15 ounces each, Mens 13.....can't wait to try them out once I get my strength back !!

SGT Rock
08-26-2007, 08:55
Would love to go with you, but I'm recovering from ACL knee surgery from a month ago.
Get well soon :banana

The Smokies are just so awesome, any time of year, any weather. Are you testing out some new gear for you upcoming thru-hike or just going 'cause you need to ?
Not really. I have everything I need gear wise except maybe replacing some worn out underwear and socks before I go. Everything in my pack has a hundred trail miles or more except maybe one or two small items. I'm going because I need some trail time to clear my head - and because when I do my hike next year I plan to use the BMT through the Smokies instead of the AT. This hike will close out some sections of the AT in the Smokies I need to have finished the whole AT.

I know you have pretty much planned your itinerary, but I could not possibly take this route without stopping by Mt. Cammerer. Also, I'm sure you have done the Boulevard trail out to Le Conte, but if not, that too is a spectacular ridgewalk.
I plan to go to Mt Crammer this time, the Boulevard to Mt LeConte is something already done on a previous trip. But thanks for all the suggestions.

Good luck on your hike and I hope the mountains are a lot cooler than the rest of the southeast !!
Highs in the 70s, lows in the 50s. Slight chance of scattered rain. I'm looking forward to it. I hear it is dry up there in places though. I know the creek beside my house has totally dried up.

BTW. what boots/shoes are you leaning towards for your thru ? I've got a pair of the new Inov8 boots headed my way via REI. About 15 ounces each, Mens 13.....can't wait to try them out once I get my strength back !!
I plan to use my New Balance something or others (can't remember the model) and for that really rocky part of Penn, I plan to use my stiffer Merrill Stretch Chameleons. Other than that - when the NBs wear out (and I know they will) I will find something along the trail to replace them.

Lone Wolf
08-26-2007, 08:58
Heading out today to station my car at Davenport Gap for the return. Last call for anyone interested to sign up.

hmmm. maybe i'll show up. or maybe you wouldn't want me to. :)

SGT Rock
08-26-2007, 09:03
I got cigars and adult beverages.

Lone Wolf
08-26-2007, 09:05
if'n i parked at newfound gap could ya get me back there come wednesday. you gettin' a permit also?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-26-2007, 11:42
::: Evil Dino makes plans to hike to shopping malls with Dixie while Rock is out in the woods. Dixie, fill your daypack with plastic :D ::::

SGT Rock
08-26-2007, 16:51
I already got my permit. I just got back from stationing my car at Big Creek Ranger station. So the plan is to head out from the house between 0800-0830 and get up to Clingman's Dome by about 0900-1000 (depending on traffic). On Wed after hiking to the car I can shuttle you back to where ever you want to start from: Clingman's Newfound, or take you back to Sugarlands if you want to leave you car there.

Lone Wolf
08-26-2007, 18:39
i'll be at sugarlands vc around 0800ish

SGT Rock
08-26-2007, 19:46
I will be leaving here around that time. I should be there about 0830.

Lone Wolf
08-26-2007, 20:07
i've never hiked the smokys this time of year. are the bears really active? should i bring my pistol? i'm bringin' my pistol. i ain't takin' no chances.:confused:

Marta
08-26-2007, 21:21
This is sounding like a lot of fun. I wish I could join you. But I've only been back at work for one week since finishing the JMT. I don't suppose it's time to take another vacation yet...

Have a good hike!

Marta/Five-Leaf

SGT Rock
08-26-2007, 21:26
i've never hiked the smokys this time of year. are the bears really active? should i bring my pistol? i'm bringin' my pistol. i ain't takin' no chances.:confused:
According to the notice at Big Creek Mt Collins shelter is closed due to bear activity and Icewater Springs has had nuisance bear activity recently. I'll bring the leki poles and the cell phone - you bring the dog and the gun.

Skidsteer
08-26-2007, 21:44

According to the notice at Big Creek Mt Collins shelter is closed due to bear activity and Icewater Springs has had nuisance bear activity recently. I'll bring the leki poles and the cell phone - you bring the dog and the gun.

Don't forget the wasp spray!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-26-2007, 21:51
::: Dino collects funds to bail out LW and Rock when they are caught in GSMNP with dog and gun :::

Pedalsndirt
08-26-2007, 22:07
You guys crack me up!!!

Have a great Hike! Im jealous.

=D

Midway Sam
08-27-2007, 08:46

One of my favorite WP posts to date. How I wish I could hike the Smokies this week and catch up with these two. I guess I'll just have to settle for reading about it in the NPS police blotter.

gypsy
08-27-2007, 14:03
::: Dino collects funds to bail out LW and Rock when they are caught in GSMNP with dog and gun :::
I'm glad someone around here has some forethought;)

dixicritter
08-27-2007, 14:53
I'm glad someone around here has some forethought;)

Me too, cause I told em not to call me for bail money when I dropped em off this morning. ;)

Lone Wolf
08-29-2007, 20:48

we coulda brought camels and dirt bikes with us and nobody woulda cared. only saw 4 backpackers in 3 days. the only wildlife we saw was a retarded shrew/mouse at cosby knob shelter this am. we had ice water spring and tri corner knob shelters all to ourselves the last 2 nights. of course i tented and rock hammocked. shelters suck. good time was had by all...two of us. did see tons of fat asses at newfound gap. a lot of them asked where we started. i said yucatan peninsula and that we're headed to siberia via the AT. i asked one biggin' for her fat free TCBY yogurt.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-29-2007, 22:28
i asked one biggin' for her fat free TCBY yogurt.And I gave it to him.

What's this about LW and Rock and a camel? Enquiring minds want to know?

generoll
08-29-2007, 22:32
what was the water situation? i'm thinking about hiking Clingmans to Newfound Gap on Labor Day.

Lone Wolf
08-29-2007, 22:36
what was the water situation? i'm thinking about hiking Clingmans to Newfound Gap on Labor Day.

water was flowing out of pipes o.k. at allshelters except cosby knob where you have to dip for water. mt. collins shelter is closed.

Lone Wolf
08-29-2007, 22:42
NO water from shuckstack to Spence field

Chaco Taco
08-29-2007, 23:12
This thread is freakin better than readin TJ. You guys crack me up:banana

SGT Rock
08-30-2007, 08:29
And I gave it to him.

What's this about LW and Rock and a camel? Enquiring minds want to know?
I heard about that Camel Gap and decided it was a good idea - let the camel carry my pack. Never did find that thing though.

we coulda brought camels and dirt bikes with us and nobody woulda cared. only saw 4 backpackers in 3 days. the only wildlife we saw was a retarded shrew/mouse at cosby knob shelter this am. we had ice water spring and tri corner knob shelters all to ourselves the last 2 nights. of course i tented and rock hammocked. shelters suck. good time was had by all...two of us. did see tons of fat asses at newfound gap. a lot of them asked where we started. i said yucatan peninsula and that we're headed to siberia via the AT. i asked one biggin' for her fat free TCBY yogurt.

Yes, I think the mouse was trail trash. He was obviously drunk at the shelter, looks like he had been there a while, and didn't have a permit. I wanted to find a ranger or ridge runner to let them know about his antics.

The bears up there were hidding from us (because of Wokf's gun and my bad attitude) but it was obvious they have never heard of leave-no-trace: they have a unique system of eating blueberries - break the bush in half and eat them on the ground. Add to that the poop on the trail - someone needs to go out there and teach 'em how to cathole that stuff.

Lone Wolf
08-30-2007, 09:40
it was SO nice to hike in the Smokys and not see throngs of thru-hikers or others. got to see the eclipse early Tuesday morning while lying in my tent in front of Ice Water Springs shelter. late summer is the time to hike there

SGT Rock
08-30-2007, 22:59
I just posted pictures from the hike. There are about 10 that were any good - new camera.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=5

karo
08-30-2007, 23:27
Thanks Rock and L.Wolf, great trip report and I needed a laugh. I have thought lately about doing this hike, just bad timing this week. I'll be on Haxel Creek flyfishing in a couple of weeks.

SGT Rock
08-31-2007, 07:21
Hell, this thread ain't half as funny as the conversations we had during the hike.

Gray Blazer
08-31-2007, 07:55
Can't believe you have evidence of LW sitting in a shelter.:eek:

SGT Rock
08-31-2007, 07:56
He was feeding the mice. Figured we could get the mice population up in at least a few places.

Lone Wolf
08-31-2007, 07:58
Oh I sit in them and leave trash in them but never sleep in them

SGT Rock
08-31-2007, 08:00
Don't forget bust - ass. Oh wait, that was me.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-31-2007, 08:17
Yes, I think the mouse was trail trash. He was obviously drunk at the shelter, looks like he had been there a while, and didn't have a permit. I wanted to find a ranger or ridge runner to let them know about his antics.
He (LW) was feeding the mice. Figured we could get the mice population up in at least a few places.Hmmm... how long had LW been feeding that mouse when he was observed to be drunk and what was he feeding him? :p

Lone Wolf
08-31-2007, 08:18
Hmmm... how long had LW been feeding that mouse when he was observed to be drunk and what was he feeding him? :p

granolaized rum balls

SGT Rock
08-31-2007, 08:22
Yes, I love those things. They make the trail move on you though.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-31-2007, 08:31
::: Dino shutters at thought of hiking thru rolling hills that are rolling :::

sweetpeastu
09-18-2007, 14:33
what kinda pistol are you plannin on bringing? I'd go with a 45 semi automatic ;)

sweetpeastu
09-19-2007, 13:48
hmm on second thought, if you were to empty all your amo into an overly agressive bear ...and you didn't kill it, you'd prolly just piss it off. Wonder if bear spray would work better....

I've never seen an angry bear before....don't want to either.

Ya'll have fun :)

Lone Wolf
09-19-2007, 14:07
hmm on second thought, if you were to empty all your amo into an overly agressive bear ...and you didn't kill it, you'd prolly just piss it off. Wonder if bear spray would work better....

I've never seen an angry bear before....don't want to either.

Ya'll have fun :)

we HAD fun. the trip was last month :)

SGT Rock
09-19-2007, 14:09
And the bears were not angry, just thirsty.

Lone Wolf
09-19-2007, 14:14
And the bears were not angry, just thirsty.

they tweren't hungry neither. plenty of broken/snapped blueberry bushes. LNT my ass

SGT Rock
09-19-2007, 14:17
I am switching to LBT - Leave Bear Trace. I figure if I hike and camp like bears no one can complain since they don't mind the bear mess.

Lone Wolf
09-19-2007, 14:18
I am switching to LBT - Leave Bear Trace. I figure if I hike and camp like bears no one can complain since they don't mind the bear mess.

when i stealth in baxter i always lay where a moose had been

SGT Rock
09-19-2007, 14:20
They probably do a good job of clearing you a flat spot for your tent. I don't have that issue though - so I guess I'll have to look for trees where bears have been climbing. LBT!

sweetpeastu
09-19-2007, 14:20
last month? Gosh I'm sooo off on my dates. lol. Well glad you guys had fun and the bears didn't eat you.