PDA

View Full Version : Atkins,Va

Doc
10-31-2003, 10:31
Just returned from a southern hike and want to update some information that many probably already know. In Atkins the motel is now named the Relax Inn. New owners seem very nice and seem to understand the needs of hikers. Living next door to the motel is Dan Tucker(276-783-4743) who does shuttles. His driving technique is unusual to say the least. Those who have gone with him know what I mean. Nice Guy. The next door Shell station is open 24/7 allowing last minute purchases easily. Dairy Queen is open at the interchange and the country rest. serves great and cheap meals. Dan Tucker might allow cars to be parked at his place for section hikers, although I didn't ask him about that possibility.

MOWGLI
10-31-2003, 10:46
It's too bad the restaurant closed (in front of the hotel). That was a really nice place. It was a knik-knak shop when I went through there last.

Kozmic Zian
02-21-2004, 16:08
Yea....The Restaurant. Oh, no! You mean to tell me my fav hamburger place has closed. Man, they used to have the best burger and fries. Really got me ready for 'The Big Walker Trudge'.....up to Knot Maul Branch....what a haul that section is. And none of it shows on the maps or guide books, least it used to not show. Oh, well, so much for the Burgers...............KZ@

Brushy Sage
02-21-2004, 19:45
It's too bad the restaurant closed (in front of the hotel). That was a really nice place. It was a knik-knak shop when I went through there last.

Is the red barn restaurant still operating?

Lone Wolf
02-21-2004, 21:23
Yes the Red Barn is still open. I drove by it today.

Bill Harris
05-04-2004, 13:09
L.Wolf, You are so lucky living in that area.When My partner and I finshed our section last year in Bland I took him all around that area.Even made Hungry Mother State park.Here is to some good tramping at Mt Rogers.