PDA

View Full Version : A Thru-Hike How-To Video on the AT...

fredpotter
10-31-2003, 15:26
Taking a pulse reading, is there an interest in a (60-90 minute) DVD that seriously examines all the preparatory steps needed to hike the entire Appalachian Trail, Maine to Georgia? Without a personal bias to promote, an honest video that gathers the opinions and advice from veteran hikers of differing persuasions illustrate and discuss what it takes to successfully hike the Appalachian Trail from their individual perspectives. The viewer would gain a balanced perspective on the issues facing such an undertaking, and a clear picture of the preparation necessary before the actual trek should begin. Assuming an openness to gather information from other knowledgeable sources, would you buy such a video?

Thank you for your feedback.

Fred

bunbun
10-31-2003, 16:14
I don't remember how long Lynne Whelden's AT how-to video is, but his CDT video does exactly what you're talking about and it's 7 hours. I think his PCT video is at least 2 or 3 hours.

Not that I'd tell you not to do it - Lynne's AT stuff is getting a little long in the tooth. But you may be thinking too short.

Jack Tarlin
10-31-2003, 16:19
Fred--

I think this is an excellent idea, and yes, I think there's a market for it, as the several tapes that are presently available that cover this subject are fairly dated.

If you get moving on this subject and if I can help in any way, by all means let me know.

Kerosene
10-31-2003, 18:29
Based on the number of preparatory books that are sold about how to thru-hike, I believe that there would be quite a bit of interest in a DVD, although it would probably take more than 90 minutes to develop something sufficiently comprehensive.

illininagel
10-31-2003, 19:58
I would be very interested in purchasing such a DVD.

Lone Wolf
11-01-2003, 03:02
Nope. No video. Fear of the unknown is best. My first hike there were no videos, internet, books, etc. to plan a hike. An AT hike ain't like going to Everest. Wing it and you'll do fine.

Peaks
11-01-2003, 08:46
Originally posted by L. Wolf
Nope. No video. Fear of the unknown is best. My first hike there were no videos, internet, books, etc. to plan a hike. An AT hike ain't like going to Everest. Wing it and you'll do fine.

I think that most people should have some knowledge about what they are getting into and do at least some planning before attempting a thru-hike.

This can be in several formats. DVD, video's and books is one way. Attending the ALDHA Gathering or a workshop is another.

It's a generally accepted estimate that 20% of people attempting a thru-hiker drop out at Neels Gap, 30 miles from Springer. Why? Most likely because they didn't realize what they were getting into. This demonstrates a lack of experience and knowledge about what long distance hiking is all about.

Lone Wolf
11-01-2003, 09:04
The success rate is same today as it was 20 years ago. All the books, videos, and internets don't get you to Maine. Your brain and feet do.

chknfngrs
11-01-2003, 10:03
I'd buy one. Preferably a DVD w/ extra footage of bear attacks. Fo' shizzle.

Sleepy the Arab
11-01-2003, 23:53
Ooh, how about an audio commentary track featuring Baltimore Jack, Warren Doyle, Ward Leonard and (what the heck!) Uncle Johnny?? If you're gonna use the DVD format, use it to its fullest extent. Now we're talking about something I would buy!

Yeah, that and outtakes. I love outtakes.

Lumberjack
11-03-2003, 02:50
Outtakes of at bear attacks commented in spanish by uncle johnny? - Ive paid for worse.....where do I send the 19.95?