PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Mountain Bald Project Update?

Pedaling Fool
08-23-2007, 13:14
This year (~ May ’07) I passed through the area, in which some organization (ATC?) is attempting to return the area, just south of Walnut Mountain Shelter, into a bald. However, I noticed that the efforts seemed to be not much further along than last year when I passed through (April 2006).

Anyone know the status of that project? Personally I don’t see the point, seems like the money could have been better spent.

Rain Man
08-23-2007, 13:38
You can do a Search and find other, older threads discussing this very thing.

As I understand it, it is an effort by the forest service to prevent trees from taking over what was a bald.

Rain:sunMan

Brushy Sage
08-23-2007, 20:19
There are now white-blazed posts across the open area.

Tennessee Viking
08-23-2007, 21:51
Contact the Carolina Mountain Club, the maintainers for that section. If there is flag ties or flag stakes in the area, this will be a future relocation project.

Lots of times, the ATC will send botanists to the balds to make sure there isn't any great numbers of rare wild flowers growing on trail. If there are, they will corner a section off to let these bloom.

Chaco Taco
08-23-2007, 21:54
Was up there a couple of weeks ago and the bald is blazed. the shelter has a notice that it will be torn down. Dont know how old the post was but it was from the ATC.