PDA

View Full Version : Shining Rock water

rpettit
08-23-2007, 16:11
Has anyone been in the Shining Rock/Middle Prong Wilderness areas lately? What is the the water situation there?

ncmtns
08-23-2007, 19:26
I was there last wknd. Most the normal pipe springs were about dried up or dried up. Some springs can still be used if you did a hole to scoop, pump water from. I didnt go all the way to the SR to find out about the 2 pipe springs there, but I imagine they are pretty slow.

rpettit
08-23-2007, 19:38
thanks for the info

TwoForty
08-29-2007, 17:29
I'll be up there from Sept 14-16. If anyone has been to Shining Rock Gap, is the spring okay?

rpettit
10-02-2007, 16:15
I'll be up there from Sept 14-16. If anyone has been to Shining Rock Gap, is the spring okay?

So, how was the water situation when you were there?

OldStormcrow
10-03-2007, 12:40
This is a bit of a hike for water, but there is a creek a good ways down the hill from Shining Rock clearing. When I was a young and nimble lad with nothing better to do and a few days to do it in, I used to explore outwards from Shining Rock clearing. If you stand in the clearing looking up towards the rock peak, look to your left and across the Artlobe Trail/road. There is a downhill gully that starts in the pine woods there and passes an old mica pit mine near the back of the pine woods. Keep following the natural pitch downhill and in about 3 hundred yards there is a fairly robust creek on your right. There is no visible trail to this and it is all brush-busting, but the creek is big enough to hear when you get closer to it. I came back up from there to the Artlobe Trail/road about two hundred yards from the turnoff for Camp Daniel Boone. Good luck!

humunuku
10-03-2007, 20:22
the spring was good 2 weeks ago, should be easier than bushwacking

rpettit
10-04-2007, 06:32
the spring was good 2 weeks ago, should be easier than bushwacking

Are you talking about the spring just south of Shining Rock Gap in the direction of Flower Gap? What about all of the other piped springs that are along the road that leads to the Black Balsam parking lot? Thanks for the information. I am planning a hike in mid October.

rpettit
10-16-2007, 15:53
Just came back from Shining Rock, for those who are interested, the Shining Creek spring at Shining Rock gap is flowing adequately. The piped spring along The Ivestor Gap Trail that is located below Tennet Mountain just before the Fork Mountain Trail traveling S to N is flowing also. Also the fall colors are great in that area.

Phreak
10-16-2007, 16:19
Just came back from Shining Rock, for those who are interested, the Shining Creek spring at Shining Rock gap is flowing adequately. The piped spring along The Ivestor Gap Trail that is located below Tennet Mountain just before the Fork Mountain Trail traveling S to N is flowing also. Also the fall colors are great in that area.

Thanks for the update - headed up that way in a couple of weeks.

Bruce Hudson
10-16-2007, 20:06
With a little luck I'll be heading up to Shinning Gap for the first time this weekend-- leaving Raleigh Fri. after work. (A couple weekends ago my wife and I slackpacked via MST looping to 356 (Graveyard Ridge) up to Art Loeb at Investor Gap and back down).

This time my intention is to backpack in via Old Butt Knob via access off of US276 at Big East Point. Then take Art Lobe north as far as time permits (got to be back in the classroom Monday morning facing my 14 year olds).

Any comment on that trail will be appreciated.

Bruce Hudson
[email protected]
Raleigh

MacEntyre
10-16-2007, 20:13
This weekend, we'll be starting south of Shining Rock, heading for Cold Mtn. In Sept, the springs and creeks along the BSA trail to Cold Mtn were dry. I suppose we'll have to carry all our water this time, too.

rockrat
10-16-2007, 21:52
With a little luck I'll be heading up to Shinning Gap for the first time this weekend-- leaving Raleigh Fri. after work. (A couple weekends ago my wife and I slackpacked via MST looping to 356 (Graveyard Ridge) up to Art Loeb at Investor Gap and back down).

This time my intention is to backpack in via Old Butt Knob via access off of US276 at Big East Point. Then take Art Lobe north as far as time permits (got to be back in the classroom Monday morning facing my 14 year olds).

Any comment on that trail will be appreciated.

Bruce Hudson
[email protected]
Raleigh

Unless you feel up to it I wouldn't recomend the Old Butt Knob Trail. Its gains about 2000 ft of elevation in 2 miles. Me and my friends do it about once a year and it is definitely tough. On the upside it does have some great views and once you get to the top you have a pretty flat walk. If you fish the creek that runs up along the bottom section of the trail is pretty good. A good alternative to the Old Butt Trail is go straight instead of off to the right. You end up at Shining Rock Gap and follow the North Fork of Shining Rock Creek all the way to the top.

Bruce Hudson
10-17-2007, 10:41
Because the trails change so early into the hike I think I'll try old butt withthe idea that I can always turn around and take the other trail over. In general the searches I did for this hike indicated that the lower trail was in pretty bad shape and hard to follow.

Bruce Hudson

Tha Wookie
10-17-2007, 14:59

Howdy stranger!:D

OldStormcrow
10-19-2007, 17:58
Old Butt Knob is most definately a downhill-only trail....

rpettit
10-19-2007, 22:33
I have hiked up Old Butt Knob twice. I am over 40, just take your time, rest when you need to. It is a challenge, but there are some great views. I prefer to hike it in the early spring, cooler weather, it is a dry ridge trail.