PDA

View Full Version : Loss Of Another Hostel

Mother Natures Son
08-23-2007, 20:07
Tragic news to all those who are hostel fans, no matter where they are. The last remaining hostel near the Horseshoe Trail (PA) has announced its permanent closure and sale by the Philadelphia council (AYH) citing financial problems as well as the poor shape of this hostel. I have to wonder what other hostels are on the chopping block. It has long been rumored in certain circles that the Ironmaster's hostel near the half way point of the trail might be closed someday soon. Again budget problems and high maintenance of this building are chief concern. Has anyone visited the Ironmaster's hostel recently and can you confirm its overall condition or lack thereof?:banana

Mother Natures Son

Lone Wolf
08-23-2007, 20:15
yeah. ironmasters is a huge place. get AYH out and let a private business run it and charge big bucks per nite.

TinAbbey
08-23-2007, 20:15
did the one near the horseshoe trail have a name

Mother Natures Son
08-24-2007, 19:30
The name of the hostel that closed near the Horseshoe Trail was called, "The Bowmansville Hostel". AYH tried for many years to raise the needed grants & other capital to restore this country's oldest hostel. I feel that privatizing Ironmasters (near the half way point of the AT) wouldn't work in the long run. Most of the folks who use that hostel are hikers and a lot wouldn't hike in the winter so this hostel is closed from Nov. thru March or April. This would be a financial drain for any upstart company wanting to take over. Out west they do have a lot of private hostels under the AYH banner running successfully. Those who succeed are near attractions that bring visitors in year round. I have yet to hear of anyone trying to do a thru-hike in the middle of winter. Who knows, with global warming we might have to. LOL

Mother Natures Son

StarLyte
08-24-2007, 20:05
yeah. ironmasters is a huge place. get AYH out and let a private business run it and charge big bucks per nite.

I agree--totally.

DavidNH
08-24-2007, 20:09
I stayed here. Nice hostel, friendly folks.. only around 28 or so bucks per night including shower and laundry (wash and dry). Why should this place go to some big buisness that would charge big bucks? so many hikers complain about how expensive stuff is on the trail..here is an inexpensive place..why dish it off? I think american youth hostel (hosteling international) does a fine job. Ya'll should join up!

oh and the 1/2 gallon challenge place is right next door (I succeeded..though I have to admit Hershey ice cream no where near as good as B and J or Brighams!!):sun

David (snickers)

weary
08-24-2007, 21:41
The name of the hostel that closed near the Horseshoe Trail was called, "The Bowmansville Hostel". AYH tried for many years to raise the needed grants & other capital to restore this country's oldest hostel. I feel that privatizing Ironmasters (near the half way point of the AT) wouldn't work in the long run. Most of the folks who use that hostel are hikers and a lot wouldn't hike in the winter so this hostel is closed from Nov. thru March or April. This would be a financial drain for any upstart company wanting to take over. Out west they do have a lot of private hostels under the AYH banner running successfully. Those who succeed are near attractions that bring visitors in year round. I have yet to hear of anyone trying to do a thru-hike in the middle of winter. Who knows, with global warming we might have to. LOL Mother Natures Son
The AYH banner is costly. The organization requires large insurance policies, which most hostels can't afford.

The Iron Masters hostel is a great place that my wife and I stop at occasionally. It was in pretty good shape the last time we were there. The springs on the bunks, however, badly need replacing. Though hammock lovers may feel right at home.

Weary

Jeff
08-25-2007, 04:21
I read where the Cloud 9 "Hostel" in Hiawassee, GA is up for sale. Anyone know why these folks want out?

Lone Wolf
08-25-2007, 08:24
I read where the Cloud 9 "Hostel" in Hiawassee, GA is up for sale. Anyone know why these folks want out?

cuz hikers are a PIA to cater to.:)

DavidNH
08-25-2007, 09:07

This hostel, Cloud 9 in HIawassee, is up for sale? I stayed there on my hike in 2006. The plaec was fantastic..an amazing bargain at 20 a night. They guys name was Frank I think...not sure.. he described that section of Georgia as heaven. He loved it there (he was an immigrant from England). So why would he be closing up? can't make enough money? hard to imagine..he is not far from the trail..just a few miles. He wanted to make the best hostel on the AT..sounded real ambitious.

Did hikers really tick him off? anyone know the reason He wants to close up?

David

Lone Wolf
08-25-2007, 09:14
cuz hikers are a PIA to cater to.:)

i'm just speculating of course but i know i NEVER could own a hostel.

Skidsteer
08-25-2007, 09:16
This hostel, Cloud 9 in HIawassee, is up for sale? I stayed there on my hike in 2006. The plaec was fantastic..an amazing bargain at 20 a night. They guys name was Frank I think...not sure.. he described that section of Georgia as heaven. He loved it there (he was an immigrant from England). So why would he be closing up? can't make enough money? hard to imagine..he is not far from the trail..just a few miles. He wanted to make the best hostel on the AT..sounded real ambitious.

Did hikers really tick him off? anyone know the reason He wants to close up?

David

Fran and Lauras primary goal is the trout farm. They just want to stay focused on that.

Plus, hikers are a PIA. :)

neo
08-25-2007, 18:03
Tragic news to all those who are hostel fans, no matter where they are. The last remaining hostel near the Horseshoe Trail (PA) has announced its permanent closure and sale by the Philadelphia council (AYH) citing financial problems as well as the poor shape of this hostel. I have to wonder what other hostels are on the chopping block. It has long been rumored in certain circles that the Ironmaster's hostel near the half way point of the trail might be closed someday soon. Again budget problems and high maintenance of this building are chief concern. Has anyone visited the Ironmaster's hostel recently and can you confirm its overall condition or lack thereof?:banana

Mother Natures Son

:D isnt that wonderful,be nice if lose all the shelters to:cool: neo